OSX86 on Intel P45 chipset?

BiTRiP

818 posts in this topic

Dude, so sorry I have been so busy at work.

First off, I hope you have access to another PC.

Search out the Gparted.iso file that is out there. Download that. Burn it. It is a small Linux livecd that basically just has gparted on it. This tool lets you set which partition boots. Boot this cd and set your main windows partition to boot.

I installed XP first, then Vista, then OSX. So I have to set my XP partition to boot. If you only have Vista, then set that.

Hopefully you haven't messed with the partitioning back in the OSX installer.

If your Vista kicks back in, then download EasyBCD. This is a brilliant tool that lets you add the Mac partition to the boot manager so that from now on you can select Windows or OSX at startup.

Thank you so much.

Just done it now, and im writing this in Vista :(

I have just bought a 80gb Hdd Sata also , so im just going to make my windows hdd normal, delete the leopard partition. Then install on the new hdd.

Woo hoo

Hi, I am using LEO4All which should allow you to pretty much get a working install in about 30 mins with the miniumum of fuss, albeit with the bitrip modded bios and a few other cpu features disabled as mentioned in previous pages.

I countnt get kalyway on, unable to get passed severl panics so a gave up. I still have no lan and audio, (P5Q) - i have medified various kext to no avail.

My main problem is that i cannot get QE accelleration working on my 8800 gtx ultra after trying severl nvidia driver versions, i need to this get logic 8 installed.

so to sum up, just need

LAN drivers

Working VGA (QE) drivers

Right this is weird.

I have tried to install it twice on the new hdd, and both times when it reboots, after it says installation is complete, it just restarts the installer.

When you install Vista into a HDD partitioned with MBR, Vista automatically marks that particular with Vista as active partition and makes other volumes on the same drive INACTIVE. This is why when you reboot, only Vista comes up. Not only that Vista uses BCD (Boot Control Data), effectively renders other OSes inactive. SInce you don't have another working installation on another drive, you need EasyBCD (google it-it's freeware) installed from Vista. Then once in Vista, run EasyBCD- choose Add/Remove Entries, select OSX, click add then save. Get out, reboot and you will a second choice as OSX. Good luck.

If you have another install of OSX on another drive, simply run Chameleon (google again) and choose to install on the non active partion where your OSX resides. CHameleon will reactivate OSX. It will boot OSX first. But OSX boot loader honors all partions of a HDD regardless those partitions are active or not, ggranted they have to be primary.

Good luck.

PS: In the future, install Vista first, then OSX.

I think with almost 300 posts and almost 40,000 views someone should do a nice detailed walk through outlining how to set up OSx86 on these P45 boards in ddr2 and ddr3 versions.

Thanks Bitrip for the new BIOS!

I'm not sure if it's because of the new bios or what, but now my shutdown is working right!

I think it's time someone adds the P5Q series into the wiki HCL

Since I have everything working on my P5Q Deluxe (audio only the main output in the back) and have collected all the kexts, I'll try to come up with a detailed guide soon.

I have finally made and posted my own tutorial, I will add to it as I learn it: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124693

Just curious if anyone else if having this problem. With the 1201 modded bios everything was working great. I wanted to switch to the 1306 bios to improve my vista OC. So, I switched to the 1306 modded bios and now the computer will not shut off (it shuts down, but justs hangs and I have to manually power off the PC) in MAC.

Bitrip, any ideas? The PC still works great for Vista and MAC but it won't shut completely off with the modded 1306 bios as is would for the 1201 bios.

I am using a P5Q deluxe.

When you install Vista into a HDD partitioned with MBR, Vista automatically marks that particular with Vista as active partition and makes other volumes on the same drive INACTIVE. This is why when you reboot, only Vista comes up. Not only that Vista uses BCD (Boot Control Data), effectively renders other OSes inactive. SInce you don't have another working installation on another drive, you need EasyBCD (google it-it's freeware) installed from Vista. Then once in Vista, run EasyBCD- choose Add/Remove Entries, select OSX, click add then save. Get out, reboot and you will a second choice as OSX. Good luck.

If you have another install of OSX on another drive, simply run Chameleon (google again) and choose to install on the non active partion where your OSX resides. CHameleon will reactivate OSX. It will boot OSX first. But OSX boot loader honors all partions of a HDD regardless those partitions are active or not, ggranted they have to be primary.

Good luck.

PS: In the future, install Vista first, then OSX.

Thanks

I don't really get it though.

It says it has installed yet, the only data used on the hdd is about 200mb. So it hasn't installed.

So I am going to erase the whole hdd now, and do it again. So what would you do then? Chameleon:?

Thanks MiahX for the conclusion,

So if I want to pass the still waiting for root device, I should Install Leo from SATA DVD or from my SATA HDD

But for installation from SATA HDD, can you give some tutorials to do that;

Thanks in advance

Well... I don't know I really qualify or not, but seeing as I've got it up and running, I'll offer what help I can.

(This is totally off the top of my head, mind you, so if you specify one problem I'll try and look into it in more detail.)

So you want to install Leopard on your PC, since you're in this forum we'll assume we're talking only about p45 chipset boards like PQ5, PQ5 Deluxe, PQ5 Pro, etc.

First you need to flash your bios with the appropriate moddified bios. If you search this forum you can find one that someone wonderful like Kabyl has made and uploaded for you. (Mine was from Kabyl, thanks Kabyl!) Flashing the bios might be slightly different for different boards, and there are multiple ways that will work for a single board. My board has the ASUS EZflash 2 utility, so I simply download the bios and place it on a thumbdrive (Extract first if necessary), then restart and hit ALT+F2. EZFlash will start, select the rom and let it do it's job. Bios is updated. (BY the way, I take NO responsibility for anything you do so your computer or anything that goes wrong as a result of anything I might have written on here.) Take care flashing the bios, don't want to screw it up. (But, on the other hand, at least my board does have a backup bios chip built in so if I did screw it up I should be able to fix it.)

Before the CD wouldn't boot past a kernal panic or something, but now you can fully boot up the cd to get to what looks like a normal Mac OSX instalation cd interphase. Now, it depends on what you are installing to, what you need to change in the bios. When I did this, I didn't have to change anything at all. But I installed my Leopard (Using Kalyway 10.5.2) directly onto an external USB drive that I had pre-formated as HFS+. If you want to install to a SATA drive then you almost certainly need to go into the bios and switch the a setting somewhere from IDE to AHCI. If you do this and boot the cd then go to Disk Utility and see if there are any disks present. If there is, and it is the one that you want to use, then just tell the Disk utility to format it as a Journalized HFS or whatever the default option is. After this you will only need to run the cd as normal and select whatever kexts apply to your system, etc. (You should be able to choose the vanilla kernel)

For me, I did not format my drive this way. It was a long long time ago when I first formatted this drive to HFS and there was no bootable CD install so I used other methods like dd and some stuff that I can't remember but will dig up if this method doesn't work or someone else can't post a simpler method. I installed the first intel OS X on it a long time ago (which had no support for a lot of things, even after tons of work installing kexts and fiddling and basically sucked a little... ) but anyway, just reused that disk to install Leopard.

When you reboot, if you try and set that drive as the first drive and boot from it you will probably get a "HFS+ partiton Error" or something similar (off the top of my head, remember). This is fine, don't sweat yet. Hopefully you have grub or another boot manager installed somewhere. Set the drive with Grub on it to your 1st drive so that grub boots as normal. Now what you basically want to do is edit grub to add Leopard to the list. But for me, I wanted to try that out because I had seen that HFS+ error and was worried that all was lost. So when you get to the normal grub screen and it gives you your options like Windows XP or Linux or Vista (whatever you have installed), then you should hit 'e' for edit and edit one of these entries. This edit will only be temporary, it won't stay that way, so it is great for trying out your new entry. Change the title to Leopard or Mac or whatever you want. Then on the second line put "chainloader +1" (so might want to try adding a line before this that says "makeactive" if this partition isn't an active partion, but I didn't need that) and change the disk location to the disk that your mac is on. So it starts at 0 (1st disk is 0, second is 1, third is 2) and then you put a comma and the second number is the partition (0 is 1st partition, 1 is second, 2 is third). There should already be an entry there for whatever you are editing (maybe windows.) Maybe it says 0,1 and you have set your drive to as the second drive and there is only one partition on it, so you will put 1,0. So it might look like this:

title=Mac OS 10.5.2

chainloader +1

root (hd1,0)

boot

then hit 'b' to boot that and see if it works. If it gives you some error about the wrong partition then recheck your drive order and change the hd1,0 to something else.

If it boots then you're home free. Just add that entry to grub and it will continue to be able to boot. Then you can upgrade to 10.5.3 via guides online and 10.5.4 by the normal apple update.

Anyway, hope this info helps someone, it's very incomplete and perhaps difficult to read through. I'll try and answer any questions you have about it if I can. Good luck!

(Disclaimer: all information posted here or anywhere else on the web is not based on real experience pirating/hacking/infringing, it has been produced as a product of my wild imagination and has no bearings on reality nor could anything written here be used against me in a court of law or any other situation. ;p )

Is it only the P5Q's IDE not being recognized, or does everyone have to use SATA hardware for this?

If it's P5Q specific, I wonder if a PCI IDE card would work by chance?

EDIT: I tried a PCI IDE card with an IDE HDD and the Apple CD still did not see it.

@MiahX: I have a PCI IDE card, but actually don't have anything hooked to it now. I suppose I could connect something and see if it worked... but on the other hand I think there's an easier solution that I'm posting in my response to delo

@delo: So, if I understand you correctly then the only reason you are trying to install it from an SATA hdd is because you only have an IDE (PATA) cd/dvd device and you don't want to go buy a new SATA cd/dvd reader (and rightly so). Is that correct? If so you can install from the SATA hdd, but then you still probably won't be able to use the cd/dvd drive when in your leopard install (although you might be able to remedy it eventually somehow...) But, I have a solution for $20 or less that will probably be easier in the long run. First, I should point out, that I have had the same "Still waiting for root device" error. Don't let me fool you with my short explanation into thinking that the install went smoothly and without me putting any elbow grease into it. But now I've got it working. I should point out that I have only 1 DVD-burner which happens to be IDE (PATA). And I installed from that drive. There are two things that you can buy at your local pc store, either one should be around or under $20, I believe. I happened to have a usb hd enclosure laying around, so I used this. Stuck my DVD drive in it and plugged in the usb. Set this cd drive as first in the boot sequence, it should work. The other choice, is what I used to get my IDE hard drives to work. I have NO SATA drives in my computer. Only IDE. (because I am cheap and I have big drives that I don't want to throw away simply based on the color of their skin or the shape of their adapter...) You can buy a very small device that should be labeled something like "Serial ATA / HDD converter" "IDE to SATA converter". I originally picked one of these up in Japan and didn't think that I could find more here, but I looked yesterday and they have the same thing in the store here. If you hook this up in between the SATA cable and your cd drive or HD then your computer should think it is an SATA device. (Note: I've only used this device with hard drives because I already had the dvd drive in my usb drive. I think I hooked it up to a dvd drive one time, and it worked, but that time wasn't during the installation of leopard.) Anyway, that should be about $18-$19 or at least that's what I paid the 2 times that I bought it.

So, theoretically if you bought either of these devices then you could boot the cd-drive method and you could also continue to use your dvd drive in Leopard. Also, if you figure out how to use the ide cd drive in leopard then you could switch the device that you bought to use with a ide hard drive that you couldn't access before.

What do you think? Or did I get your problem wrong? I read back a couple of pages and tried to pick out your posts, but I may have gotten confused, if so, let me know.

Just curious if anyone else if having this problem. With the 1201 modded bios everything was working great. I wanted to switch to the 1306 bios to improve my vista OC. So, I switched to the 1306 modded bios and now the computer will not shut off (it shuts down, but justs hangs and I have to manually power off the PC) in MAC.

Bitrip, any ideas? The PC still works great for Vista and MAC but it won't shut completely off with the modded 1306 bios as is would for the 1201 bios.

I am using a P5Q deluxe.

That's weird... for me it was the other way around. However, when I was using the previous BIOS it would never shutdown no matter how many times I've tried, but with the new bitrip BIOS I could shutdown most of the time. Sometimes everything would power down, but the fans are still spinning, etc.

@batsu

IF I understand correctly ( I speeck french not english so sorry for my language ), you have installed leopard with a IDE to USB converter.

for information I have an IDE to USB converter if it will work I'll try, thank you for your solutions

@MiahX: I have a PCI IDE card, but actually don't have anything hooked to it now. I suppose I could connect something and see if it worked... but on the other hand I think there's an easier solution that I'm posting in my response to delo

You can buy a very small device that should be labeled something like "Serial ATA / HDD converter" "IDE to SATA converter".

That was a duhh moment for me, I had one of these IDE-SATA adapters in a box that came with my old NF7-S mobo. I put it on the DVD drive and now I made it to the Apple menu, nice!

I added this info to my initial tut post.

Thanks!

Seems like this is more or less an Asus thread but I have the GA EP45-DS3 also with the P45 on it and it works. It did´nt work to install a fresh the usuall way using this mobo and now I can see why. But the good news is that my old drives the IDE with Kalys Leo and the Sata Retail Leo 10.5.4 install works, also for some reason installing a fresh using 123 bootloader method do actually work. At the moment I´m trying to figure out how to make it start without the 123 boot CD.

All my apps exept Final Cut runs using this mobo, the funniest thing is Final Cut Express do run for some reason. Got a q6600 cpu and 8 gig memory. I have Sata drives and a Sata DVD.

Hey guys I finally decided to go for the Chameleon (I was not sure what that one does, thought it was moastly for RAID so I did´nt try it before) and it works without having to have the 123 bootloader in your CD/DVD drive as long as you add the right kexts for your mobo, so P45 works at least if you have a GA mobo. Download and run the modified 123 bootloader follow the instructions while booting, you probably need a retail Leo DVD. Then when you have it up running download the v4.2 folder from LTLs very good advancced Leo install guide

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

then you could either install your own known to work kexts from previous installs you might have success with or laborate with the kexts from the modified 123 download (you have to mount this image to be able to get to the initrd.img to get to the extras/extensions folder where the kexts are) or the kexts from LTLs v4.2 download. To do this download kexthelper if you don´t have this app alrerady, kexthelper will help you install kexts to your system. Chameleon you´ll find in LTLs v4.2 folder if you check it out, just double click on it and it´ll get installed. Take a moment and check out his post-patch.sh file to (rightklick open with textedit) cause it´ll tell a thing or two about what kexts you need to install on a hackmac. This guys is good and helpfull.

Good luck guys

I am using a P5Q deluxe.

I think the 1306 modded bios is for P5Q and not meant for the P5Q Deluxe. They're totally different

There is a 1306 Bios for the P5Q and a 1306 Bios for the deluxe as well (fortunately you cannot flash a deluxe mobo with a non-deluxe bios).

Perhaps it's a setting that I had enabled with 1201 and did not change with 1306... I'll keep looking into it as you all have had no problem with shutdown and 1306 deluxe bios (you are all using the deluxe correct?).

Mine installed all the way to less than 1 minute left, and then froze completely. Anyone run into that?

Anyone who got it working on a P5Q Pro that can tell me which packages they chose before install?

Mate, I put a bit of time into my post 2 pages back, please go look.

The general consensus is:

You must use a SATA DVD and SATA HDD.

Use of IDE/SATA converters is unpredictable.

Use of USB external drive works (although I have not tried this myself yet...)

For your first install don't select any other packages to install other than the one's that are selected by default.

*Make sure you burn your osx install image at a slow speed on good quality media. This can actually be the cause of some peoples problem. My first burn gave me install errors.... which disappeared when I burn't a new disc.

MiahX... What install package are you trying? I have successfully installed using Kalyway 10.5.2 and JaS 10.5.4 Haven't tried others yet, am happy with my Kalyway install so far.