OSX86 on Intel P45 chipset?

BiTRiP

818 posts in this topic

I downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.2 version, but when It starts It gives me this error :

Mac OS version :

Not yet set

help please

N.B. : I flashed my Bios with the latest version ASUS P5Q v1306. thanks Bitrip

post-8013-1219951233_thumb.jpg

hi back with my screen shot of my board with bios mod made by phoenix3200, if he or any one can help?

post-34251-1219955768_thumb.jpg

asus P5QL-E jmicron IDE p43

core 2 duo e4500 2.2 @ 2.7

8800gts 640mb

2gig 667 kingston ram

1xSATA seagate 500gig

1XIDE master WD 250 GIG(the one i want to put osx on)

1xIDE slave LG DVDRW(the one i am using as a dvd drive for the install)

hello.

I have installed osx

But I have a problem

I'm unable to boot back into vista. So I'm on my iPhone !

I installed it on a partion I made on my windows hard driv

I have restored my bios, but it doesn't work. It says "b0" error and doesn't do nythi g else.

How can I boot into windows?

Urgent reply quickly please guys!

Yes of course.

But for the feature, what do you mean

Well, I guess it's called CPU CONFIGURATION instead of FEATURES. (Speedstep, C1E, TM Function etc.)

Disable it all except Execute Disable, set that to enable.

Good Luck.

God this is bad.

I really just want vista back , I should ofnever installed it on the same hard drive.

I've decided to erase that Partion in hope of getting vista work. I know osx works now so I'll wait to get a sata hdd

I just hope it will give me vista back :/

Hi, BiTRiP :wacko:

Will you be able to mod a BIOS for an Asus X51L laptop please?

I see you guys are all commenting on the Asus P5Q MB series, but I thought I'd give it a try :(.

Link to the latest v. 205 for the X51L:

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/X51L/X51L205AS.zip (China)

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/X51L/X51L205AS.zip (Global)

CPU is Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T2390 : 1.86 GHz, 533MHz, 1MB L2 Cache

Chipset is Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chipset + ICH8M

Video is Embedded Intel® GMA X3100

2GB of DDR2 667 MHz RAM

PS: I saw szzz posted a modded BIOS for this exact same model some pages back, but he is not mentioning what is it fixing. If somebody has experience with the X51L model and a modded BIOS, please share.

Thanks in advance to everyone :)

God this is bad.

I really just want vista back , I should ofnever installed it on the same hard drive.

I've decided to erase that Partion in hope of getting vista work. I know osx works now so I'll wait to get a sata hdd

I just hope it will give me vista back :/

Dude, so sorry I have been so busy at work.

First off, I hope you have access to another PC.

Search out the Gparted.iso file that is out there. Download that. Burn it. It is a small Linux livecd that basically just has gparted on it. This tool lets you set which partition boots. Boot this cd and set your main windows partition to boot.

I installed XP first, then Vista, then OSX. So I have to set my XP partition to boot. If you only have Vista, then set that.

Hopefully you haven't messed with the partitioning back in the OSX installer.

If your Vista kicks back in, then download EasyBCD. This is a brilliant tool that lets you add the Mac partition to the boot manager so that from now on you can select Windows or OSX at startup.

I was only able to do this after reading through the forums carefully, taking bits and pieces from different areas.

I have not had a chance to check if someone has made a guide for our setup (P5Q Pro) if not, I would love to do one, but it's just finding the time that's hard. I already wasted a whole day 8am-11:30pm getting this to work (most of which was wasted because I didn't know about the need for a modded bios!), and I still don't have sound yet.

DO NOT do this on a machine that has critical data on it. Do at your own risk.

In a nutshell, start from scratch, or skip the windows installation part if you have a spare partition you can kill and reformat.

osx86 Install Guide for Asus P5Q Pro

You MUST flash a modified bios to your motherboard. If you are not sure how to do this, read up on how to do it, otherwise stop now and don't proceed.

Starting from scratch, using 1x Sata HDD and Sata DVD ( NO IDE support at the moment)

WinXP/Vista/OSX

Boot from XP install disc

Clear all partitions if any already on there.

Create a partition for XP - DON'T make your other partitions yet

Install XP

Boot Vista install disc

Create a partition for Vista

Install Vista

Download and burn Gparted.iso (google it or search it on the forums, I found it in my frantic search on a forum somewhere)

Boot the Gparted disc

Using the Gparted app, create a partition for your OSX install, from memory I made it a FAT16, you will reformat it in the mac installer.

Shutdown

On startup, enter Bios setup and change SATA config to AHCI. Hit F10 and restart.

Boot OSX installer disc(Kalyway 10.5.2 worked best for me)

Open Disk Utility and select the partition you setup for your osx install. Select Erase and change the format to HFSextended journaled. ( I'm not sure if it was here that you have to check an option button that sets the MBR or GUID setup, but I think that's if you go changing the partioning scheme in this installer, BUT DON'T touch the partioning here in this installer.)

Just erase and reformat the partition you made for your osx install.

Quit out of the disk utility and continue with the install.

When you get to the screen that gives you the option of installing other kernels and patches etc, don't be tempted by these, leave them all set as they are. Only fiddle with this if you know what your doing.

Install.

After installation and your machine reboots, it will not boot into OSX!

It will give an error.

Boot the Gparted disc and set the XP partition as your boot partition.

Reboot, enter Bios setup and set SATA Config back to IDE, reboot.

Now when your presented with the boot manager, boot into Vista.

Download and install EasyBCD, run it.

Add the Mac partition to the boot list, let it use the Auto-Configure setting.

Reboot

You should now be able to select and boot into Leopard! Yee-har!

Note: When you select Leopard, you will need to press a key to bring up the next menu and then arrow down to the osx partition, then just press enter.

NOTE: You have to change your BIOS Sata Config between AHCI and IDE depending on what OS you want to boot.

Not a perfect solution, but it does let you use your pc as a mac :wacko:

There are ways to get your Vista and XP to boot on AHCI, but I have not explored that yet, that's for you to do if you have the time.

So much for not doing a guide yet ":(

This was all from memory, so I apologize if I missed a step.

I also just remembered that in the BIOS under power (i think) I switched APCI 2.0 to enabled, I haven't tried it without to see whether or not it makes a difference.

I hopes this helps people, it took me a LOT of time and browsing to get to this point.

thanks for that

Unfortunatly the only thing I have to access the net is my iPhone. My laptop is bust as is my brothers computer. But I am able to get it elsewhere.

Last night I managed to delete the leopard partition yet it still doesn't boot

So ill try this when I get home, and find somewhere to download the nessaty programmes.

As long as my vista is untouched I'll be happy, and there is no reason to suggest why it would be messed up

But now I know leopard wotrks I can't wait to get my new hdd :)

Thanks Bitrip for the new BIOS!

I'm not sure if it's because of the new bios or what, but now my shutdown is working right!

I think it's time someone adds the P5Q series into the wiki HCL

I think with almost 300 posts and almost 40,000 views someone should do a nice detailed walk through outlining how to set up OSx86 on these P45 boards in ddr2 and ddr3 versions.

Since I have everything working on my P5Q Deluxe (audio only the main output in the back) and have collected all the kexts, I'll try to come up with a detailed guide soon.

Hi, BiTRiP ;)

Will you be able to mod a BIOS for an Asus X51L laptop please?

I see you guys are all commenting on the Asus P5Q MB series, but I thought I'd give it a try :).

Link to the latest v. 205 for the X51L:

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/X51L/X51L205AS.zip (China)

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/X51L/X51L205AS.zip (Global)

CPU is Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T2390 : 1.86 GHz, 533MHz, 1MB L2 Cache

Chipset is Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chipset + ICH8M

Video is Embedded Intel® GMA X3100

2GB of DDR2 667 MHz RAM

PS: I saw szzz posted a modded BIOS for this exact same model some pages back, but he is not mentioning what is it fixing. If somebody has experience with the X51L model and a modded BIOS, please share.

Thanks in advance to everyone :gathering:

I modded your bios but it had some differences then the P5Q series.

I think it's ok but flash it is at own risk! The P5Q have a backup chip so it's safe, but I don't know your laptop.

Btw, the mod is fixing machines so they are able to run osx86 on it with multiple cores. (mostly quad cores)

If your machine was already working with osx86 then you don't need this mod!!

It's only for machines that does not boot and got stuck in very beginning.

Good luck.

BiTRiP

X51LA_.205_Modded_By_BiTRiP.zip

Hello everyone, hope you're all schweet.

I have a P5Q Deluxe, that I've just put together with a Q6600, 2GB Corsair RAM, and a Geforce 8800 GTX.

My drive config is as follows:

2x SATA HD on Intel RAID 0

1x SATA HD on Intel

1x IDE HD as master and IDE DVD-RW as slave.

I've flashed the BIOS with 0803 from http://osrom.net/biosmod/ - nearly had a heart attack when doing so cos it black screened and the CPU fan went nuts. Had a look for info on the diehard BIOS but found nothing, so I pulled the power on the motherboard, plugged back in and it started working. Don't think it was a dodgy flash cos it's running 0803 whereas before it was running 1201 (1306 has just been released BTW), so not sure what happened there, maybe something to do with some settings from the previous bios being incompatible or something...

Anyway using JaS 10.5.4, I want to install to the IDE HD, as it is blank but as you can probably guess, I'm getting stuck at 'still waiting for root device'.

I've tried doing an install using VMWare to the drive but it gets stuck at random places up to the point where once it asked me for the installation language, and then hung at 'preparing installation'.

So next step I think is going to be to copy the leopard vmware flat install directly to the ide hdd, as specified in addendum 2 here http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to

But even if I get it to install there, i'm still concerned that my RAID config will stop it from booting cos I cannot switch to AHCI...

Any thoughts?

Other hurdles to consider are the fact that I tried installing XP to an IDE drive and couldn't get it to boot, even from the boot menu, bios just hung - black screen, flashing cursor, same as it did for the previous dvd drive I was using when trying to boot any bootable cd/dvd - I think this motherboard is a bit sketchy about booting from IDE with certain drives.

Peace

Hey all,

I've got Mac OS 10.5.4 installed and working great on my Asus P5Q Deluxe board (sound working, too (now)). It's installed onto an external USB hd and I am able to boot into it via GRUB and have no trouble booting into my other OSes as well without any changes to the bios.

I've got 2 questions, if anyone is in a similar situation:

1. From within OS X I cannot see any of my other drives. OS X automatically mounts itself and it automounts any USB drive that I hot-plug. My other 3 drives include a master and slave IDE (PATA) combination connected into the mobo's single IDE port and another IDE (PATA) with a small device attached to it that makes it connect via an SATA slot (and the computer thinks it's an SATA (according to the bios) (Sorry, don't know the name of that device, picked it up in Japan...)). Oh, and I also have a DVD burner that is in a USB HD external enclosure, but it works great.

Now, the other drives include windows and linux (NTFS and EXT2 or EXT3) partitions, which OSX usually isn't accustomed to dealing with (or wasn't before bootcamp, etc). I have installed an EXTFS driver for mac which appears to be functional, and I can see the NTFS, and FAT drives from another external hd. So... if anyone else was in a similar situation, were you able to mount your other disks in OSX somehow? I searched /dev (I'm more used to linux than mac) but the only block device hd appears to be the one on which OS X is installed.(/dev/disk0s1) Hmm... well, I'm working on it, but would appreciate help from anyone who already solved this one.

2. As I mentioned, just about everything is working pretty well on my motherboard. The motherboard has a feature called AI NAP which is a great sleep feature where the whole computer basically turns off (Fans stop, everything stops, appears to be shut down) and then when you press the power button the fans start up again and you are right where you left off. (Instantly, ie. this is not at all the same thing as hibernate/standby.) So this saves time and power. Well, surprisingly, this feature IS working on my setup in Mac OS X. It's really nice, the only problem is that sometimes when it resumes after you get back to your screen and try to open a new app or close the last app that app kind of freezes (although you can still move the mouse and access other screens for a little while before they start freezing or you just decide it would be faster to hit the restart button than wait for that beachball to spin. (Which is partly because my boot times have been very fast.) But, like I said, sometimes it just works fine. So, I was wondering if anyone else has gotten the AI NAP feature running consistently well and what you did to get it that way. If/when I figure it out, I'll post my methods on here for anyone else interested.

Thanks for your help, I'll post my solutions on here when I find them.

Ok Guyz, here some new mods on request. Please don't spam with all kind of requests. I only mod ASUS boards.

The 3 mods for now are:

- ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA II v0901

- ASUS P5Q v1306

-ASUS P5Q Deluxe v1306

Enjoy.

BiTRiP

Thanks a lot BiTRiP, will try it this week

Another quick note from me.

After switching the setting from IDE to AHCI in the bios I am able to see one of my drives, the fake SATA drive. I can mount the first partition of that which is Ext3, but (of course) am at present unable to mount the second partition that contains LVM partitions. Anyone experience mounting LVM on Mac?

Still can't see the other 2 IDE drives. Still working on it...

(By the way, my OS X will boot in both AHCI mode and IDE mode, the only difference is that I can "see" the one drive if I switch it to AHCI mode)

Hi guys,

P5Q user here ;) Will need some help from you all if i cant get my stuff to work :D

my rig is:

Asus P5Q

4gb ram

500gb sata hdd - will try to run osx(kalyway 10.5.2) and Vista ultimate 64 on 2 partisions

M-audio audioophille 2496 pci card (osx)

Crreative XFI card (Vista)

and hopefully more disks :)

Have got the same problems as most of you but will use Bitrips rom today :)

Ok, i flashed bios to bitrips version - OK. Settings in bios as mantioned earlier - Cpu configuration and AHCI thingy....

Inserts kalyway 10.5.2

starts and then stops with ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

still waiting for root device

What did i miss :)