OSX86 on Intel P45 chipset?

BiTRiP

818 posts in this topic

Here I go. Taking the plunge.

Ill love you if it works.

EDIT: Works perfect! Booted into Tiger, but I got no ethernet or sound.

I installed Kalyway and I now have ethernet, but still no sound.

There were no problems with the BIOS flash, all went well.

Thank you so much!

I recently purchased a new P5Q <Green> MB. I had a powers surge and it blew my old gigabyte MB away. I have read this whole thread from beginning to end and I will use many suggestions from all so thank you. I am no Mac noob, I started with a Mac128. But I have little experience in intel. My questions are:

Can I use the 1306 mod bios from bitrip with the green board?

Do I need to install Windows XP first? (Probably a dumb question)

Is there a detailed manual? Can I use the existing one posted on here for the P5Q Pro?

Wish me luck and thanks for everyones posts

Can I use the 1306 mod bios from bitrip with the green board?

Do I need to install Windows XP first? (Probably a dumb question)

Obviously you want to make sure the BIOS is for your exact board (ie: don't use the one for P5Q3). I don't know if the P5Q, P5Q Deluxe, etc use different ones (but I'm guessing probably?).

As for Windows, it is up to you, but for a new system (as per the post I am just preparing) I would suggest setting up Windows and making sure your system works first. That way if (ha, I should be realistic, okay, when) you run into problems later you'll know that they are new problems and not something you would have seen with Windows also. If you can, I'd also suggest to install OS X onto it's own drive (probably makes things a lot easier for your initial attempts).

And, good luck :)

[P5Q3 Deluxe] - Does anyone have issues with their system freezing? (yikes, sorry for the long post:)

When mine does this, the light on the USB optical mouse usually goes out, and the USB keyboard no longer lights up the CAPS lock (it's stuck dimmed). The only option left at this point is it hit the reset button (at which point the system does it's little 'power down' cycle before powering back up again; at least it did that today).

I have spent many hours (as most people do:) trying to get kalyway running and have achieved varying degrees of "success" (thank you to everyone who put this together, and of course everyone on this forum!). At first, I thought the 'freezing' had something to do with my settings and install of OS X, so I didn't think too much of it. Lesson learned #1: On a new system, install windows and make sure everything works before trying to setup kalyway, etc. (It now seems kind of obvious, but I had wrongfully assumed that Windows wouldn't have this problem). I'm running a Vista 64 install now and I'm leaving it running 24/7 (not necessarily doing much other than 'running'). I have come back to it 'frozen' a few times. (Btw: windows memory diagnostics passes, and the system passes the IntelBurnTest. This is a new install; aside from the asus software and some diagnostic tools, there isn't anything else).

Strange observation (but probably just coincidence), I grabbed BIOS 1402 from http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?p=3275676 (thank you for the link boobminks!) and the system ran for two days straight without freezing (Vista 64). I then decided to go back to a mod'd bios, the SLIC 1402 mod (thank you BiTRIP!), but within a day (by the time I got back from work) the system was frozen. (Again, I don't know, this is likely just coincidence -- either that or my system doesn't like SLIC, the mod, or my BIOS settings, ? :). I'm not sure what I'll 'test' next but if I learn anything useful I'll post. [i don't have any notes on previous BIOS versions and freezing in Vista; The system did freeze but I was toying with Kalyway so it could be due to my setup in those attempts].

Hoping someone has some experience, thoughts, or other insight that might help...

ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe, BIOS Rev 1402, Express Gate v1.3.3.1

Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83GHz Yorkfield 1333FSB

8.00 GB RAM (4 sticks; OCZ3P1333 DDR3-1333 CL 7-7-7-20 Dual Channel)

Zotac GeForce 8800 GT AMP! Edition 512MB PCI-Express x16

Coolermaster CM 690 Case

PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad 750W P/S

Samsung Spinpoint F1 Series 1TB, Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar 1TB

LG GH22 DVD Rewriter (IDE)

-Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit

-5.9 Windows Experience Index :P

BIOS Settings (all defaults except these):

Legacy Diskette A: Disabled

Configure SATA as: AHCI

PCIPnP, Plug and Play O/S: Yes

Power Suspend Mode: S3 Only

Hware Monitor, CPU & Chassis Q-Fan: Enabled, Silent

Boot Settings Config, Full Screen Logo: Disabled

Express Gate, Enter OS Timer: Prompt User

Current PCProbe Readings:

CPU: 29C, 1110 RPM

MB: 44C, CH1 811 RPM, CH2 856 RPM, CH3 795 RPM

Vcore 1.02V, 3.38V, 5.02V, 12.10V

[side note: anyone know how to make PCProbe run without that "An identified program wants to access your computer" notice (aside from disabling UAC)?]

Realtek ALC1200 (80863a3e) running on P5Q-PRO, 2 channels Out, Micro In, Audio In, editing ALCInject and AppleHDA

/System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.Kext/Contents/Info.plist

imagen2tf0.th.png

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

imagen3yr9.th.png

imagen4ie5.th.png

No se si es del todo correcto, pero funciona.

Un saludo

Hi ranix,

does this method works on 10.5.5 ?

with a Jas 10.5.4, I used the p45audio.zip file with the 2 kext but now in 10.5.5 it'doesn't work.

Regards,

Vincent

hi palmtree953

A Quad Core and 4 memory modules wich 2 GB each on 1333 MHz?

As you can read in most support forums, people have problems with ram and with Quad Cores on this board. They can run their quad core with ram set 1066 stable. 2 GB rams modules are more complicated and you have 4 of them on 1333.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=191848

This mobo is my worst buy this year. I have stability issues with this mobo too. No matter its windows or OSX, also with unmodded BIOS.

Problem is P45 chipset in combination with DDR3 memory, specially with this board.

I have 4GB OCZ 1333 memory (2x2GB) and got hangs several times.

Read many forums about it, specially at OCZ about settings in BIOS but all people have different results.

OCZ recommends to set the DRAM Voltage to something between 1.70 and 1.80.

I have mine on 1.72 now and its much better, but some have it more close to 1.80.

Try it, it probably will become more stable.

BiTRiP

Hey Bitrip,

Is there any way you could mod the BIOS for my ECS P45T-A mobo?

It's an AMI BIOS, and I can't find the tools to do it myself, needless to say I'd be doing it for the first time. The work you've done with the others is impressive.

Thanks in advance, here's a link to it:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/20/1445954/P45A8619.zip

by the way, i can boot and install the JaS 10.5.4 dist. without a hitch, but it won't load after it installs, it gets stuck at the I/O buffer header message that you got in your first post.

Hey Bitrip,

Is there any way you could mod the BIOS for my ECS P45T-A mobo?

It's an AMI BIOS, and I can't find the tools to do it myself, needless to say I'd be doing it for the first time. The work you've done with the others is impressive.

by the way, i can boot and install the JaS 10.5.4 dist. without a hitch, but it won't load after it installs, it gets stuck at the I/O buffer header message that you got in your first post.

Here ya go. This one should work.

BiTRiP

ECS_P45TA_8619_Modded_By_BiTRiP.zip

Does anyone know how to dual boot vista64 in raid with macos x on p5q-e? If i keep the sata setting to "ahci" then mac boots fine. If I set sata setting to "raid" then mac won't boot and gives a chain boot error. Tried putting the mac drive on the other silicon controller (orange) and it doesn't see the drive. I have already applied the modded bios. If raid is not an option for vista & mac then I will run them both in ahci mode and run them each on their own drive instead of trying to raid them. Just trying to find out if anyone else ran into this issue. My ideal setup would be running 2 raids. One for vista64 with 2 500gb drives and one for osx with 2 500gb drives. I will try buying a raid controller card and putting vista on there in raid and see if i can put my motherboard in ahci. I will let you guys know if this works later today. Any info would be appreciated and thanks goes out to Bitrip or whoever modded the bios for p5q-e.

I was able to get vista in a raid with 2 drives and kalyway 10.5.2 running on another drive. Since you can't change your MB bios from sata "ahci" to "raid". I put vista on a raid card which has its own controller with 2 drives and left the motherboard at "ahci". I am able to dualboot now on the p5q-e. Vista in raid mode and macos on a single sata drive. I will continue to research on getting both systems in raid mode.

Bad news BiTRiP,

It doesn't even get past loading the kexts before it restarts the computer, so i dont even get to the part where it might say "buffer header...." Any ideas why it's doing this now? I can't imagine the BIOS would have something to do with it? I'll keep working on it, but if you have any insight on the problem let me know. Thanks for the BIOS though

Good News! It's working and i'm posting from my Leopard Install. Thanks for the help on the modded BIOS BiTRiP. The only problem i'm having now is just audio, and i'm sure i'll get that working (hopefully) soon. If anyone knows how to, for the ALC883, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Dear All,

Realized that my brother brought me a "wrong" asus mb (P5QC) instead of P5Q-E... :hysterical:

Tried it today and have typical asus mb error message. Could someone help me to mod the bios...please~~~

Here is the direct link for ASUS P5QC BIOS V1306

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket...C-ASUS-1306.zip

or here

THANKS A LOOOOTTTTT~~~ :D

P5QC_ASUS_1306.zip

Hi!

I've installed Mac OSX 10.5.4 JaS on my

Q6600 (Step G0) 2.4Ghz

2GB Corsair Dominator XMS2 1066

Asus P5Q-E bios kabyl 0806 (If bitrip can mod the newest version, I'd be very happy :thumbsup_anim:!)

Radeon HD 4850

SATA 150 Maxtor HD

And a SATA LG 4163B (it was a PATA one, but I'd bought an adaptor for 6€. And It works great!)

Anyway, OSX works basically (I installed it without any modification: only inserted the JaS DVD with AHCI mode and started the setup. I Hope that the 4 CPUs are working!). There are only some problems:

Audio: the ADI2000B doesn't seem to work. OSX doesn't recognize it. I installed appleazaliaaudio, but nothing happened.

Ethernet: no one of the two Eth ports seems to work.

Graphic: the Radeon 4850 isn't recognized as well: working at 1024-768 and with no graphics effects isn't nice.

How could I resolve?

I guess it was just a matter of a BIOS setting?

I already thought the mod was fine.

Good to hear its working now.

Audio should work with right patch I think but thats a different thread.

BiTRiP

Well it turns out i just couldnt install vanilla, i had to choose the XNU kernel. Oddly enough, after changing the dev ids in the appleahci.kext to include the ich10 dev id the system wouldnt boot because it couldnt find the drive. I'm installing again, it's not a big deal beacuse even though it's not recognized i get pretty good speeds on the hard drives according to xbench.

as for the audio: i've hunted for the thread but i havent found anything that works, i've tried all the drivers for alc883 that i could find, and none of them work. After adding my dev id to the ALCinject.kext the system gave me an error message that that kext couldnt be loaded. On top of that i couldnt find the AppleHDA kext that's floating around, the wiki site to it is down. I'll keep filling you guys in.