EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

A big risk for EFiX is not only their high price, but legal ramifications. It seems to me like they are trying to stay away from places where a court order could order them to Cease and Desist. The products could be siezed and a restraining order placed against them barring sales of the device. In the US, at least, even though I don't think Apple's shrinkwrap EULA would stand up in a court case, the delays and confiscation of property pending the outcome of a trial could be ruinous to a small company, and it doesn't matter if it's run by Bill Gates or Ninja Bozo the Clown. Apple would be in court to get such a court order the day it went on sale in the US.

Meanwhile the US is trying to impose its will on other countries for the imaginary "Intellectual Property". If recent history is any example they will be successful and then there will be very few places on Earth where such an operation could legally operate, much less sell their products.

Those legal risks IMO far outweigh the personality of the owners or the high price of the product. The legal risks make those other factors irrelevant.

Guest BuildSmart
buildsmart, this is {censored}, it wasn't me who zlined u, it was semthex.

i'm not threating, i was saying - it's no need for me to ssh into irc server, and parse config and change it to remove zline - too many steps to do to help a guy who even don't like me.

Too much effort to do for a guy who doesn't like you, hmm how about doing it because you said you would and the fact that you haven't is a contributing factor for why I don't like you or, how about doing it because it's the right thing to do???

I don't like you because I don't know you and the way I have seen you treat people and the way you have treated me makes it hard for me to like you but I don't go out of my way to cause you any grief and I have not at any time refused to provide anyone with any project source that has been deemed open source such as the Natit project has been and I don't go out of my way to make offending remarks about you in a public forum.

The general consensus is that once you are in control of a project the chance of it being end user fixed is non-existent because you do not allow the end user access to the source.

Another issue is that you do not do the things you say you will do, I can only speak of personal experiences because it would be wrong of me to drag anyone else into this discussion but this does not change the fact that you have not removed the zline you said you would remove.

How can I be expected to like someone who from the beginning has not treated me with any kind of respect?

You have made several claims that you would remove the zline but 9 months later you have not done this, this does not bode well on your character or place any value on your word if you cannot do what you state you would do, this is something that others have observed.

Claims of good-doings is nothing more than a passing phrase from your lips because there is never any action taken by you.

If you had removed the zline that you stated you would do this would not be a topic of discussion, it would not be another thing about you I do not like and people would not associate your word as value-less because you would be seen as a person who does as you claim you would do.

Personally I no longer care, your action or lack of in this case affects many other people including yourself, people will draw their own conclusions about your conduct and character and this has nothing to do with me, when you make remarks about me I am offended, offended because of your past treatment of me and as you can see, until you started the flaming remarks I pretty much have not said anything about you because that would have been disrespectful of me to do so.

After our discussion I had expected the same from you but was sadly disappointed that you had to make a remark about me.

Even if you meant it as a joke, we are not friends so why would you think you can joke with me or about me and expect to receive a warm smile.

The less action you take to redeem yourself in the eyes of the users and those who read this forum the more it affects you and the way you are perceived and I cannot control or influence this.

To sit in the IRC and bad-mouth this place then show up and post remarks doesn't sit well either but this is just my opinion and doesn't carry any weight around here.

Is this the place to discuss a personal vendetta? Please move it to PM and let us discuss efi-x here again.

Are there any updates on the efi-x project? Are there samples released already? Did somebody get his hands on such a device? Does it work? How does it work? Many questions...

Seems that efi-x is already dead before it even showed up...

one page earlier:

I'm going to have an EFi-X device sometime soon, so expect a review within the next few months

my final sentence:

efi-x devices will be shipped this week to erei33 and to Krazubu who will both do a review and after that I myself will manage selling devices to single persons

one page earlier:

my final sentence:

efi-x devices will be shipped this week to erei33 and to Krazubu who will both do a review and after that I myself will manage selling devices to single persons

So what's the difference between efi-x and the (free) boot-132 featurewise? The fact that you've included some (community provided) kexts for some Gigabyte motherboards? Having 2 motherboards, 2 lancards and 2 soundcards supported doesn't exactly sound like "the best solution to run OS10 on a PC"

Edit: oops I saw you added 2 more motherboards and a few soundcards. Back to features, what's the difference again to efi-x and boot-132? The fact that you have to download 50kbytes of kexts and do half an hour of research if you wanna go via boot-132 route?

Yeah, I hate to jump in with my useless opinion. BUT........ I must concur with ulin. Because, sure with the limited motherboards that have been approved and are currently in testing, what is the benefits versus preexisting solutions? I mean sure supposedly it allows you to install using a retail disc. But, that has been done before and works on HCL compatable systems anyway. Is there a price point yet? Because, I guess I could see some benefit in a just plug and play solution, if it was fairly low priced. But, anything above lets say 30 bucks I would just stick with this.....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

None of this means anything to me anyway. Because I have a Nforce board. Which I don't care if you build an entire Mac Pro you are not going to be able to run with a Retail. :)

Just an update on the eFix from the website.

If you live in:

Peru Reseller:Kalki Todo Computo

Taiwan Reseller: Art Studios Entertainment Media

Ukraine Reseller: Advanced Effects Club

Russia Reseller: Reseller (That's its actual name! ;) )

Bulgaria: Computer Market

Than you can get the eFix.

There is some new Hardware too. For the Motherboard there is the Intel D945GCLF (this is an Atom motherboard) and ASUS P5 AD2.

Mr Mook Mook

one page earlier:

my final sentence:

did they recieve the EFI-X product yet.

So have any of the e-fix units shipped for review yet? I notice the site now has RRP info for the desktop dongle - 80 euros, which is a little pricey to my mind, especially in light of the way things are going with the Psystar case.

Isn't one of Apple's main complaints against Psystar that they were actively encouraging the use of OSX on a non apple hardware platform without Apple's permission and therefore damaging Apple's brand? E-Fix also look to be actively encouraging folks to install OSX on a non apple platform, so won't they be at risk of succumbing to the same fate?

Don't get me wrong, I really want to see this succeed, as it would be great to run the vanilla OSX and updates on my Hackintosh. However 80 euros is a lot to shell out only to have the device end up as a useless dongle paperweight if E-Fix get sued by Apple and disappear.

I'll be trying the Boot132 solution shortly when my retail copy of Leopard arrives next week. As I have a pretty standard hardware setup (Gigabyte P965 based MB and NVidia 8600GT), I am expecting this to work. Whilst not as easy as the e-fix solution, I feel e-fix may need to adjust their pricing downwards to sell a significant number of units, especially as the Boot132 solution is free and being actively developed.