EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

thanks aman, don't listen to them. I read your article, and found it to be very informative, very clear... and where he's getting the whole "native-language" thing is beyond me.

Your article was great! Thanks for letting us know about it, it's most certainly encouraged me to buy one!

On another note, I know the main targeted audience will be the US. But will you be getting these things out to the UK aswell? And when you say August 15th, do you mean you'll be shipping them to the UK aswell by that date?

Another question, lol. I have an evga nforce 680i sli motherboard! Will this device work on it, or is it just for Gigabyte boards? If so, could EFIX test some other manufacturers boards, such as evga, msi etc.. it would be really helpful!

Thanks!

thanks aman, don't listen to them. I read your article, and found it to be very informative, very clear... and where he's getting the whole "native-language" thing is beyond me.

Your article was great! Thanks for letting us know about it, it's most certainly encouraged me to buy one!

On another note, I know the main targeted audience will be the US. But will you be getting these things out to the UK aswell? And when you say August 15th, do you mean you'll be shipping them to the UK aswell by that date?

Another question, lol. I have an evga nforce 680i sli motherboard! Will this device work on it, or is it just for Gigabyte boards? If so, could EFIX test some other manufacturers boards, such as evga, msi etc.. it would be really helpful!

Thanks!

thanks so much! yes you can probably make it work for your board if you get the V2 which allows you to make drivers and test on other boards, but its a limited product. and for UK and Usa, they said they would love too, but its said they are pretty big countries so its harder for them to negotiate with bigger countries so thats why they are doing simplier ones like Bulgaria, Taiwan or Malaysia. But you can still get them shipped internationally by other companies. I contacted http://www.podoqo.com/ and they said they do ship internationally once they receive them

I actually believe this product will exist, be neat and sold. The supported hardware is pretty slim so it's probably not that hard to design the hardware hack.

That being said, if it is successful Apple will try to shut them down and by the time Apple is through with them then the product will only work on old stuff and Apple will be running something very different. If it isn't successful then people buying it will be left high and dry. In either case, people buying the product should probably view it as $120 for kicks.

The real danger in all of this is that if successful and Apple goes after them then it won't be too long before this group is at risk.

Nice idea it seems but there don't seem to be any positives.

lstep

Well amantheboy , I really appreciate your dedication but look... by saying it wasn't even touched , this means no-one besides the developers touched it. It doesn't count if you see a pic or a video of it.

I myself still am in the efix team and I really know that the product is there. It is just weird .... they behave like they have a leash at each device and wont let the device pass beyond the borders of their country.

I have many conversations with the CEO and to be honest I kept silent for lots of stuff ... lots of promises were made i.e. like your 15th August date to me... but those promises never were kept.

And since recently it is hard to speak honest words with the CEO... It is too bad about this tremendous device

yea that is very true, when the time we will see if this does truly exist. Were you the one who said you and Erie33 would get one for review?

thanks so much! yes you can probably make it work for your board if you get the V2 which allows you to make drivers and test on other boards, but its a limited product. and for UK and Usa, they said they would love too, but its said they are pretty big countries so its harder for them to negotiate with bigger countries so thats why they are doing simplier ones like Bulgaria, Taiwan or Malaysia. But you can still get them shipped internationally by other companies. I contacted http://www.podoqo.com/ and they said they do ship internationally once they receive them

That's fantastic! Knowing other countries are willing to ship them to us! :) Thanks aman! :)

iHack13, talking about nda is already nda violation, be carefull with it.

Yeah, be full of it. These guys are merely trying to do some damage control to undo the {censored}, and you play IP cop with them? Clever.

I'm pretty sick of stating the obvious, but do you realize how pathetic this sounds?

Here's a free salvo shot from the clue gun: ever since the beginning, the impression one gets is that we're dealing with one or two people who don't have a company, don't know how to run one, but pretend to, on the internet, just for the sweet ego trip. The ninja 'CEO', the {censored} NDAs to muzzle the 'team' (another hint: people from IRC from all over the world are hardly part of your 'company'), the broken promises, the secrecy. 100% sizzle, 0% steak.

Real product before boasting, real product before knighting yourself CEO, real product before legalities. Good luck suing NDA infringers in other countries than your own! Oh, and what is tolerated from Apple might not be tolerated from a start-up.

I wonder if you are this strict WRT Apple's OSX EULA too?

Enough of this nonsense guys! Be patient! I've been in contact with someone, and they're willing to ship one to me as soon as they get them! (thanks aman)

I'm really looking forward to the launch! As soon as I get one, you lot will get to know everything! (Videos, Pics, Information) *i'm really excited now*

Thanks can you tell me what's the big difference between v1 and v2, and can i use it with a leopard retail image ?

Yes, you can use the Original Leopard Retail Image. The Difference Between V1 and V2 is that V1 is for normal people who just need their PC to work. V2 is a debug version which will have universal drivers for testing on. But won’t accept testing results made by V1.

and for UK and Usa, they said they would love too, but its said they are pretty big countries so its harder for them to negotiate with bigger countries so thats why they are doing simplier ones like Bulgaria, Taiwan or Malaysia.

No offense, but that is bullcrap. The only reason to avoid selling the product in the biggest markets for it is to avoid the Copyright Police and lawsuits. Are we to believe it's a coincidence that the first countries where it will go on sale are also some of the farthest away from the reach of the legal system where Apple is based? If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn, New York.

Given enough evidence I am willing to believe almost anything about this product, but the stated reasons for not selling in the US and the UK don't pass the smell test.

No offense, but that is bullcrap. The only reason to avoid selling the product in the biggest markets for it is to avoid the Copyright Police and lawsuits. Are we to believe it's a coincidence that the first countries where it will go on sale are also some of the farthest away from the reach of the legal system where Apple is based? If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn, New York.

Given enough evidence I am willing to believe almost anything about this product, but the stated reasons for not selling in the US and the UK don't pass the smell test.

believe what you want to :P

efi-x.com, last updated June 9th, claims to offer the ability to install OS 10 on a non mac with the retail disc. The EFiX website states:

Longtime OSx86 contributor netkas has posted EFiX in action on his blog. According to netkas, EFiX is hardware which plugs into your USB port.

As the June 23rd release approaches, many questions about EFiX remain unanswered:

-Is it an EFI emulator like PC_EFI or Chameleon?

-Is the USB device required every time you boot or just during installation?

-While this device may allow OS 10 to be installed, won't the driver situation be just like that of the OSx86 project?

-How will Apple respond to this?

-Will EFiX's EFI implementation be usable on traditional OSx86 DVDs?

Something of note is the EFiX contact page:

Notice here that the United States, along with many other countries are ignored. Also, netkas who has a sample of the device, stated:

Thoughts?

So can anyone expand a bit on what is expected from e-fix on the 15th? Are we talking first independent reviews or units actually shipping to customers? Or is no-one really sure.... years of experience has taught me to never set a deadline on a Friday :hysterical:

I have been doing the Hackintosh thing only for a short time (a couple of months), but already am thinking longer term I will probably just bite the bullet and get a proper Mac Pro (probably a refurb one though). My main problem is I only just built my Hackintosh (initially as a linux box before I found out about this site), and I ain't gonna have the cash to get a Mac Pro for a year or so..... which means the efix solution would be ideal for me.

I just want a solution that allows me to update directly from apple, especially with all the new mobileme support in the latest patches. My Kalyway 10.5.2 works well, but the thought of the upgrade pain getting to 10.5.4 and above is putting me off investing the time in updating. The Mac mini I bought for my wife just chugs away happily in the corner with updates.... its easy to see the attraction of the "real deal" when your spare time is in short supply.

If e-fix could just get the price of the basic device under 100 USD I think they might have a market - thats just under 50 GBP give or take, which I would be willing to take a chance on. 80 Euro is just too high imho.

Roll on Friday, and hopefully some more substantial product to start basing buying decisions on.

I just want a solution that allows me to update directly from apple, especially with all the new mobileme support in the latest patches. My Kalyway 10.5.2 works well, but the thought of the upgrade pain getting to 10.5.4 and above is putting me off investing the time in updating. The Mac mini I bought for my wife just chugs away happily in the corner with updates.... its easy to see the attraction of the "real deal" when your spare time is in short supply.
With your hardware configuration you don't need to use any of the modded distros. You can use BOOT-132, install from a retail DVD & be able to use Apple Software Update ever after. Start reading here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

EFiX is done, they would have released it whenever, but the people who are making or manufacturing this is the problem so they are waiting for this. It may or may not come the 15th, but do not blame the company, they are at hardwork making this and please at least respect that. But I am sure hardware reviews are going to be coming up
Excuse my scepticism but have you ever seen or touched this mythical magic device? If EFiX is done & this device is for real why haven't any independent reviewers been loaned a prototype for testing? I seem to recall promises being made weeks ago. The only evidence that this device exists is an unconvincing video, a demo to one person via webcam & several people insisting how wonderful it is & how we should all just have faith & wait.

Even if (& it's a big 'if') it does exist it's the equivalent of a mod-chip for a V1 Xbox while the BOOT-132 process is the equivalent of a soft-mod. Why would you pay for some hardware when you get identical functionality for free through software?

They had a window of opportunity to get these things out for review but I think that window passed, months ago. And so the insults fly back and forth and their name becomes mud. What an odd pity. The developers deserved better.

... It may or may not come the 15th, but do not blame the company, they are at hardwork making this and please at least respect that.

:hysterical: Do I hear September? Going once... going twice...

Respect has to be earned and so far this "company" has earned only scorn and ridicule for making promises they can't deliver on.

With your hardware configuration you don't need to use any of the modded distros. You can use BOOT-132, install from a retail DVD & be able to use Apple Software Update ever after. Start reading here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

Yeah, I've been following the BOOT-132 threads with interest, but its still not quite as straightforward as you suggest. You have to put together a boot CD with the kexts specific to your hardware, and then to avoid having to use the custom boot CD for updates don't you have to install something like Chameleon?

I suspect I will go down this route eventually, but its not quite as easy to setup as the e-fix claims to be.

I can't help feeling that if e-fix had production or even close to production hardware available they would have got it out for review by now. I am sure they have all worked extremely hard on this, and its an impressive project. Sounds like maybe they just lacked a bit of business / marketing savvy on the way they released it to the world combined with unfortunate timing with the release of the free BOOT-132.

If you don't give people a date they can't hold you to account for being late or not delivering. If you MUST give a date choose one you are 99% sure you are going to make. Doesn't matter if its months longer than you need...... better to be seen beating a deadline date than missing it in my experience.

All of course just IMHO.... :(

@amatheboy

I don't want to sound like a big guy. ummm.. amatheboy look,, all I can read from your posts is "I am sure they will..." " I believe in..."

... well let me tell you. It is not worth cleaning up other people's garbage and FAILureS

Give it up ... I myself stopped at a certain point in giving my TRUST to some guys... I realized that my tiny image and reputation on this scene was used to keep people silent or just to deflect negative opinions away from them and redirect them to me ...

My little tiny reputation that I had seemed to had suffered very badly and I must say IT WAS NOT WORTH IT.

btw I heared somthing about 30th Feburary . This seems like a definite date.

yeah thats true, i guess its really not worth it. then

and sorry for misjudging Boot-132 it is Awesome. Tried it today and man its really nice, installed to X.5.4 thru software update. Happy Man :)

Yeah, I've been following the BOOT-132 threads with interest, but its still not quite as straightforward as you suggest. You have to put together a boot CD with the kexts specific to your hardware, and then to avoid having to use the custom boot CD for updates don't you have to install something like Chameleon?

I suspect I will go down this route eventually, but its not quite as easy to setup as the e-fix claims to be.

EFiX is only claims & wishful thinking.

Chameleon is a newer & better EFI emulator than that used with your Kalyway 10.5.2 installation. You just install it to the hard disk. In fact you can install it on your current system along with Boot-132. You just need to find out which modified kexts you are using & place those in the Extras folder.