EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

Guest cavallo

what about start up disk showing bootable disks, boot camp and reboot- alt showing graphicly install boot disks?sincerly without those apps also, just for use retail disk 1 euro for shipping is too much cause useless.audio, bluetooth wireless problems on e bay there are a lot of useful devices for few dollars.

What's up with some of you thinking of prices like 30 EUR/Dollar? That's about the price of a decent 802.11n-Adapter, which are about as standard as they come: 3rd-Party OEM chipset and drivers repackaged and marketed to end-users. But for a (supposedly) newly & elaborately developed like this, 30 bucks seems rather cheap.

I don't know, how complex this was/is... but consider common sale prices for shareware software (which might be a comparable development feat) and factor in additional costs for hardware production...

to be honest with 80€ I would upgrade my system rather than buy a dongle that (in may case) will only add a nice apple-like bootloader (actually that is the first reason I would buy it). I agree that it might be worthy of those 80€, but: I have all working with cameleon and a couple of extra kexts for audio,network,ich9 (kexts that I would probably still need even with efi-x). I can even update till 10.5.3 from the online apple update (you need some special kexts for that), so actually I dont really need it. I would pay 40... just out of curiosity

The weirdest thing... why hasn't this product had a full blown, semi professional review? Where at least are the PR folks or person? Hey now... this isn't a stunt by the fine people at Gigabyte to sell their motherboards, is it?

The weirdest thing... why hasn't this product had a full blown, semi professional review? Where at least are the PR folks or person? Hey now... this isn't a stunt by the fine people at Gigabyte to sell their motherboards, is it?

yes thats what im wondering where are all the reviews I contacted them about this and we will find out what happens.

'Sabotage', missed dates, phantom script kiddies allegedly bringing down the site, lame attempts at humor, complete lack of any real, useful information ... this is like the worst launch ever. I hope the actual product - if it exists - is solid and delivers, when they feel like releasing it, but that's no way to publicly present yourself. And I'll join the choir, the price is completely out of whack, 29 euros tops for the basic version is the max I'd pay, and that's stretching it already. Bah humbug indeed ;)

its not fake :P , why would they do all this, and lie about it , take a look at netkas's blog he has a video of it performing, the reason stuff isn't showing up because somebody had screwed up their server. I realize now that it is worth 80 euros, because they are a really small company, making and selling parts to other sellers. Even though I don't Like the price they are selling it for becuase I got many other things I can get. They ain't big like, a lot of other companies. Even if you would want it for cheap, you couldn't, they have a monopoly for this product. Hey unless the gurus and the devs on this site find a way to make one. Life would be much easier and better.

But for now lets wait about 3-4 more weeks to know whats up. :)

Looks fake to me, company like that should be able to communicate better in any form... :)

Guest cavallo

they are very unkind.

the problem is to install leo retail disk on pc?

i buy a mac or for 399 usd a pc with leo preinstalled.

problem is sound or qnything else?

for few dollars i buy the device i need on e bay, i have usb 2 soundcard (just stereo but input working) or usb2 external wifi.

in anycase what happens when you start up windows, the os searhes the driver till tommorrow?

no no it'a joke and too expensive.

that's the cost of the retail dvd :P

But then if you don't want to download it and burn it because you can't or don't want to you have to pay that 125 again.

iPoco

I know some people find my pro everything Apple stance annoying but come on, for that money you can buy the Leopard DVD, even if for now you have to leave it on your shelf in the shrink wrap. At least in doing so you are supporting Apple in what little way you can afford to do so at the moment. Just my fifty cents but I don't think this product at that price is going to make people go out and buy Leopard, also. You get into a law of diminishing returns thing where... you might as well buy a used Mac Mini off ebay. The whole slippery slope. Also, that Mini is going to come with iLife as standard and the Mini is a thing of beauty. If not a powerful workhorse.

I have a lot of sympathy for start up companies, it's bloody hard and obviously, if this thing is the real deal, they have to handle it very carefully. But... that doesn't mean they can't do a bit of basic PR to keep the restless natives product-positive. There is no way they aren't reading this thread. It all seems increasingly odd and, at this point, a cynical marketing exercise.

Is there anybody... out there...?

Absolutely id rather add to it and give it to apple for a retail leopard and look at the pretty box hahaha its not like i need the device my setup right now works out of the box apart from vid which i use efi string for no biggie so for me its 80 euro or 63 pounds down the swannie

80.00 EUR = 63.1960 GBP

I think their market will be the majority of non techie Mac fans wishing to run OSX in the most hassle free way.

Most people don't know how to do all the stuff folks do on osx86 project. Most people don't want to learn to do all the stuff.

Perhaps many people believe it is worth the price considering they will save on the overall cost when compared to a comparable spec mac.

I think it is wise to limit the motherboards, etc etc to hardware(at least at fiirst) that is known to be compatible. Is that not the very same reasoning behind us looking at the HCL? before buying the stuff?

I own a real mac but am fascinated about running osx on a pc

It's the law of diminishing returns, though. Once you have bought the needed hardware, once you have bought the monitor, keyboard and mouse, once you have bought the software, once you have added on the price of this thing... at the very least you could get a used iMac. And if time is money, and it so is and then some, save yourself a packet and stretch to a Mac. For those with the hardware but who are strapped, buy the software to hold faith with the good folks at Apple, until you can buy the real thing. Gorgeous beasts that they are.

The diminishing returns thing: Most people who can assemble their own PC from components can figure out how to make OSx86 to work without EFI-x. And for those people that can't assemble their own PC, they ought to buy the Mac as Detosx said. I could see small mom and pop PC shops selling Mac clones using EFI-x, especially if it delivers on being able to run Software Update without worries.