EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

Guest BuildSmart

Let's see, everyone wants a response from me, where to begin.

First, EFIX was not going to be sold in the US, that seems to have changed so this shows that the EFIX owners are unable to follow through on commitments to not sell the product in the US.

Now there is controversy over whether or not the product has been released and there seems to be issues related to hardware compatibility, if EFIX was all that they claim it to be why is there any issues related to hardware???

The DFE SWAP-DVD does not appear to have any hardware issues that I was able to find and I tested this on many different machines including laptops without any malfunctions in the process.

Dealers are expected to provide support for the product without compensation, this is not likely to occur, unless the manufacturers/owners of the product are going to pay for their time or provide the product so cheap that it becomes economical to provide basic minimal support, this will wear out even the most patient dealer because this solution will not work for everyone or for every motherboard in the manner it was intended.

Let's look at what is claimed, insert device in USB port, power on machine, insert install DVD, select DVD and perform installation.

Hmm, already I know of a few Dell, Gateway, ECS and Gigabyte boards that this wont work on because they do not support booting from USB devices so I guess they will be listed on the HCL as non-compatible but they do work with the SWAP-DVD method.

Also, the DFE SWAP-DVD solution does work from a usb flash drive of some motherboards that substantiate bootable devices by checking for valid media and in the works is a solution to make this work on motherboards that don't substantiate using this method by employing a driver so it will be possible to make a hard drive or flash drive perform this task.

EFIX is hardware, hmm, it's a USB device, this should make it easy to reverse engineer the product so the only setback will be the time required to figure it out.

Providing firmware updates if/when apple can disable/bypass the device means that any new firmware for the device can be further examined and probably applied to alternate devices.

They can't use a PAL if the device is reprogrammable since the purpose of a pal is to make duplication harder but it also makes the device read-only meaning that further updates are not posisble so it has to be a read-able/write-able, if it contains an sprom or an eeprom then it can be dumped without special tools, I know this because I can do this now with some devices I need to reprogram/rebrand, change contents or re-checksum.

DFE's SWAP-DVD method is just another method to achieve the same goal and it is evolving rapidly so for anyone to discount it's value or worthiness is nothing short of a moron, accept the fact that it is a contender in the world of native booting/installation and treat it and those working on it with the respect it/they deserve.

Since I see people trashing the DEF SWAP-DVD method it only bring one to conclude how childish they are and how threatened they are about a free product that will reduce revenue otherwise they would be respectful but I don't believe netkas and those who have been slamming the SWAP-DVD know what respect is.

They both achieve the same goal, from what I have seen of the advances in the DFE SWAP-DVD I don't believe that EFIX is any better, just an alternate solution that cost money cause they put it on a USB device which hopefully includes a post installer but since they can't talk about it's capabilities it may be some time before we know what it's capable of.

In my opinion, EFIX is a lot of hype about a piece of hardware that will surpass the capabilities of any other method and I find that very hard to believe, people are claiming it's all that but cannot discuss any details because of an NDA yet they still make comments they can't back up and the product is now on the market since the june 28th release date came and went.

Discussions of any details should not be an issue any longer so if you wanna hide behind an NDA that's fine but the NDA does not prevent you from discussing anything that does not pertain to the disclosure of proprietary source code so if you can't say what makes it better then you should just keep your pie-hole shut and stop trying to get people to believe the product is better when you can't provide the details why it's better, no body is gonna buy it just because they see you on some IRC channel, anonymity of IRC prevents any real knowledge of ones character.

Now, if your NDA prevents you from discussing anything about the product then you have already violated this agreement because you have attempted to imply feature and functionality and this means you cannot be trusted to maintain a binding agreement.

Myself, I've already donated the funds to someone in the midwest to acquire one of these devices who want to figure out what they've done and how they did it and he will post the sordid details here once he has figured it out.

If the device can be duplicated he'll provide the details and he'll find out which manufacturer is making the product and see about black-market/back-door copies of the device which is always a possibility from that part of the world so if you're hell-bent on obtaining one of these devices you might be able to do so for far less than they are being sold by the EFIX owners once it has been figured out.

As far as I know, the only manufacturer that is very meticulous about no black-market or back-door products is Han Hoi Precision Industries and it has already been established and confirmed that they aren't making the device.

Come on, guys, as a supporter of small business startups I want this product to be a winner and wish you all the best but... talk about being your own worst enemy.

No competition is what i like, efi-x is some that we dont know yet, give time to time and we will see... if is a good hardware, ppl will buy for sure.

Open source off course is my favourite way, is like a challenge and ....more satisfaction...

ah buildsmart, u still alive ?

thought u dead

Dear god, you are so childish netkas. I had some respect for you, but that's totally gone since this thread.

BuildSmart's comments are right on the mark. If the thing is based on a simple USB device that has "firmware" which can be read from and written to then it will be cloned within a month and we can all have them on our little $7.95 USB flash keys.

BTW, if you write up an NDA and give it to yourself to sign, how does that work exactly? Inquiring minds want to know.

Guest BuildSmart
lol

i can't do jokes or what ?

i'm still human B)

The problem is nobody knows when your joking cause your comprehension of the english language is atrocious and you misinterpret most of the things people write.

People find it best to keep remarks child-like so you will understand what they say but even then you manage to misunderstand about 30% of them.

It is a known fact that I do not like you, you have taken projects that were given to you and claimed them as your own works and you do not promote open development, you do not work for the betterment of the happle community, your goal is one of empowerment and financial gain and this is your focal motivation.

I'm not talking about working on solutions for your own stuff, I'm talking about solutions for the community in general.

I do not recommend anything you are involved in, unfortunately this precludes Natit because there is no other satisfactory alternative.

You're EULA for the boot-loader was priceless, it's unfortunate that you don't understand what public domain is and that you are powerless to alter the existing EULA that the works were originally released under but writing that EULA gave you a feeling of power and control because someone else used it that you didn't want to use it but that doesn't make it a binding EULA because you wrote it, you do not have the authority to alter the EULA in-acted long before you got your hands on the source code and as a matter of fact, public distribution requires you to provide your source as part of the license agreement but since you don't follow these license agreements why would anyone expect you to be honorable in any other facet of your life or expect anyone to follow a EULA written by you.

Another example that recently came up was in regards to Natit, Diabolik gave you the Natit source and project which as I recall was a fork of Titan, he clamied it as open source long before giving it to you and publicly stated that if anyone wanted the source just ask for it, after giving you the source this is still in effect yet you have refused to provide the source to anyone who has asked for it let alone provide a link on your site for anyone to download it.

Waiting for you to fix anything in Natit that is not directly related to the hardware you have is frustrating and annoying to say the least.

You have the latest Natit source, what has not been fixed is DVI video on dual display ATI cards, you have no intentions of fixing this and you wont allow anyone else to attempt to fix it either so explain how this benefits the happle community???

I'm not interested in a flame war, my comments are not biased by my dislike of you, I do not call you names and for the most part believe you can be a very good contributor to the community if you do it in the spirit of the community and not for personal power or financial gain.

This does not mean you cannot provide a device or service for financial compensation to the community but show some dignity and be respectful when you approach the community with your product or service.

The need to belittle anyone or their work is nothing shy of childish, please have the courtesy to respect the works of others like DFE for their contributions and accept the fact that this work will be in direct competition to yours.

You do know that Wozniak, Jobs and Gates were friends on the weekends but always conducted themselves with respect for one another as fierce competitors in the computer market.

Even better : http://www.sumo.tv/watch.php?video=1060144 This is the creator of your USB [Mac on a stick].

This is him a few years ago : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvCVVAfRrFE :blink:

I posted this information 3 weeks ago and no one even acknowledged it.

If the people of this community can look at the facts, I have presented, and still support this.... well, you get what you deserve.

Like I said 3 weeks ago, DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

I wouldn't buy a highlighter from this guy, much less a piece of computer hardware.

Come on people.... he thinks he is some kind of super-awesome ninja.

You want to send money to this guy :blink:

WTF !!!!1111

Guest BuildSmart
I posted this information 3 weeks ago and no one even acknowledged it.

If the people of this community can look at the facts, I have presented, and still support this.... well, you get what you deserve.

Like I said 3 weeks ago, DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

I wouldn't buy a highlighter from this guy, much less a piece of computer hardware.

Come on people.... he thinks he is some kind of super-awesome ninja.

You want to send money to this guy :blink:

WTF !!!!1111

Now that is entertainment at it's finest!!!!

well I really didn't want to post anything in this thread anymore but as this drifted to offtopic I somehow need to.

BuildSmart, its no purpose to adress you first so pls dont misunderstand me. I like you and your dedication for the OSx86 community. Don't think of me as an efi-x teammember for whom the osx86 comuunity is strange/new. This community is my home and the reason why I got in this EFiX team is because I'm trying to help osx86 being more spread and easier to install for most guys.

Your posts need to be respected and they are very well thought out and you are just showing facts. This is brilliant but I just can't understand your loosing of control at your last post and flaming around. You could do a new thread about netkas and give the link here. So this action of you confused me somehow I no longer know if you act by anger and flaming (on people and products) or wisdom (which I really doubt that you don't have).

Back to the EFiX. Of course it is really {censored} to hear that a osx86 related product gets commercial. First of all let me say that this product's cost of goods shocked me. I thought its just some dollar. Plus you need to consider the engineer team's cost over 10 months ( no work is for free) and it is still needed to pay other people outside the team.

Well its ok if you don't take that as an excuse. I doubt that I would if I was not in the team. But let me say that I am working my ass off to get this community respected by the EFiX team 'till they get so many negative reactions here, they don't bother that much anymore.

I managed to organize two devices for this community for free and I really really don't bother what the review results will be. Originally I did this for Hagar but it seems that he has no time for testing this because he has no time as he is testing boot-132 and other stuff.

Let's see who has time for testing like Numberzz or erei33

This {censored} is no fun anymore... (I'm not talking only about the negative reactions by some guys here)

edit: I somehow doubt that my words are being understood the correct way. like: "..and you are just showing facts." It is to mean he is just right by giving convincing facts. Don't understand the "just" as "only" in this context pls

I wasn't going to respond to this thread either, but when lies are posted about me I need to respond.

I managed to organize two devices for this community for free and I really really don't bother what the review results will be. Originally I did this for Hagar but it seems that he has no time for testing this because he has no time as he is testing boot-132 and other stuff.

This is bullcrap. I contacted efi-x for a test sample, and received first a positive reaction requesting my address, which I supplied. All i actually received was an emailed price list. When i was later approached and asked - out of the blue - to supply my address *a second time* by someone who can't even confirm or deny that they have anything to do with the project, I refused out of common sense.

I can't say this reflects well on the company.

I don't see why you would "work to get this community respected by the team" you really need to turn that around, and try to rekindle some respect for the efi-x team & company here.. they need us far more than we need them.

A good start would be to stop all the cloak-&-dagger secrecy bullcrap and treat their potential customers with some respect, instead of setting a price but refusing to reveal what the product actually is. No-one in their right mind buys something under those conditions.

So ditch these ridiculous NDA's & anonymous whispers and behave like a serious business, and you might just get treated as one.

But let me say that I am working my ass off to get this community respected by the EFiX team

I'am working my ass off, why? As Hagar mentioned, they didn't react on Hagar's request, which I first thought ( that is disrespectful), but he received a price list ( which is less disrespectful but still , as it says "disrespectful") That's why I talk about respect, because the stuff with Hagar just made me angry at EFiX! . So what did I do ? I worked my ass off to let Hagar get one. ( But he doesn't care , so its my fault)

As it says , I don't care the results. People are just waiting for the device and are guessing about how the product works (guessing.. its too bad about the time). So I wanted to do the least to the community to get a final feedback about this dongle.

This {censored} is no fun anymore... (I'm not talking only about the negative reactions by some guys here)

As it says I'm not only upset of reactions by only one side but also the other.

Why am I doing all this stuff? I can't do anything about this bloody NDA, I hate it so much. So I want you to know the same things that I know by getting a device "in here" .

oh yeah and about this:

When i was later approached and asked - out of the blue - to supply my address *a second time* by someone who can't even confirm or deny that they have anything to do with the project, I refused out of common sense.

So ditch these ridiculous NDA's & anonymous whispers and behave like a serious business, and you might just get treated as one.

Thank you someone.

Guest BuildSmart
ah, i c, so no need to lift zline.

Netkas:

This is exactly what I was talking about, I said something that you don't like and because you are in a position of power you are going to use that power in a childish way and zline me or keep a zline in place.

There are problems with your method of thinking

1. threatening to have me zlined on the IRC which I am already zlined makes no sense.
  2. why would you expect me to believe you have the power to apply a new zline when you do not have the power to remove the old zline you stated you would remove.
  3. taking action over comments you don't like shows your lack of ability to conduct yourself in a courteous and professional manner.
  4. combined, this shows people a side of you that does not leave them with a warm and fuzzy feeling about you.
  5. this zline affects your users far more than it affects me.

I came to you on the IRC as a man, I attempted to discuss things with you in a civilized manner because your actions against me unfortunately affect about 1000 customers who I provide internet service for, you agreed to remove the zline and 7 months later I'm still waiting for you to remove it so as far as everyone who was present when our conversation took place is concerned, it appears you never had any intentions of removing the zline or you don't have the capability to remove the zline you claimed you would remove and this only lends to the credibility that you have poor moral character or claims of power you do not have.

I'm not publicly threatening you with any kind of retaliatory action, I'm not zlin'ing you from any IRC I operate or control because I believe that controversy is the root of stimulation and that it is far more respectful of me to ignore you than to take childish and biased action against you.

mocap:

It's nice that you want to help the community by arranging for the acquisition of 2 dongles but you failed to realize the bigger picture, when EFIX was approached by Hagar, the company did not respond as they had indicated they would, not only is that disrespectful but also unprofessional, the fact that you went out of your way to have them respond in the manner that they should have in the first place is a sign of poor business skills on their part but good negotiating skills on your part if you convinced them to do it.

There are too many issues occurring with the EFIX company that Hagar concluded it's best to just walk away from them and I have to agree with him.

The company while good-intentioned has poor management and considering the parties involved it would better serve the company to higher someone qualified to run the business in the manner that it needs to be managed but the thought of giving up a little today has clouded the vision of what will be returned tomorrow so this lack of vision will be a contributing factor to the demise of the EFIX organization.

Speaking to companies that produce USB devices like the SanDisk Cruzer or the Logic USB dongle, manufacturing costs and financing on a large scale is required to make the product cost effective, the initial cost of the device is excessive considering what it is and this is primarily based on the volume of the product being produced and the amount of additional work required after manufacturing of the device.

The logical direction here would have been to ODM the device under an exclusionary license agreement to reduce costs but due to the lack of business skills this didn't occur.

The tradeoff to the exclusionary license is that usually 3 years later the product can be sold by the company producing the product under what-ever brand name they wish to release it under but by then the market would have been established by the EFIX company that it would not have had a great impact on it.

The retail cost of the product being £80 EURO ($160.00 USD) means that there is little room for future price reduction because the company itself wants to obtain the highest return possible per item today rather than working on the premise that volume sales generates more overall revenue in the long run.

A dealer inquired about the product and the initial onset of the terms made it not cost effective for them to pursue considering the investment time required to support the product at their expense based on their rate of return generated from the product itself.

This is why you will see dealers as private individuals and not large chain companies like BestBuy or CircuitCity etc.... because they don't consider the investing time required to support the product to really cost anything.

Thanks to Netkas for addressing the firmware question, good to know.

I have vast respect for everyone here. Flaming and politics makes me sad. The world is watching so please make peace. :thumbsup_anim:

In that a massive part of the potential consumer base for this product are either members of this community or regular visitors here... it would seem like a really good idea to keep the good moderators of the community sweet and, if they are interested, get them review samples at a time and place of mutual convenience, which could include a PO box or convenient drop off point, rather than a physical address or whatever.

If it was was me, as a business startup, I would want my product to make the front page here, or at least with a semi positive fanfare rather than a potentially negative or guarded one.

i could be wrong but, this e-fix inventor Helmut Von Samurai-Weirdo, ( whatever his name is ) just lost whatever he invested and is not going to make much from e-fix in the future because of boot123..... i mean .. does anyone think think that as many people are gonna spend $130 for this now? are we ( happle community) his biggest /only target consumers for e-fix? do you know how many people i know who have real macs and are not gonna buy this thing? i know few people who are even aware of hackintosh. i said in past replies that this e-fix thing is probably a cd drive on steroids with usb ports, a GUI, and earphone jacks added just so he can get a good $$ for it .....

and i cant understand why certain folks ARE SUCH HATERS WHEN IT COMES TO BOOT 123!!!!!!

buildsmart, this is {censored}, it wasn't me who zlined u, it was semthex.

i'm not threating, i was saying - it's no need for me to ssh into irc server, and parse config and change it to remove zline - too many steps to do to help a guy who even don't like me.