EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

if you do your homework you can get what efix does for free...

go tell that to someone on moofspeak who asks for help. he won't do and you can't expect everyone to be/become a computer geek.

It is super cool if someone is skilled and can proudly say "I don't need any help. It's ok for me , for isntance to correct my system after an update. It may take little time since I'm so skilled"

but you cant expect those words from everyone. So if you are one of those skilled guys , you can speak for yourself , but not for others.

and I can say "more EFiX users = less headache"

and if you still don't like it, don't buy it ... just don't throw the "homework-sentence" in the middle of the room and let the supporters do their job whereas you just leave after you said your sentence.

the supporting community needs to be respected and of course there will be still support there, since everybody won't /is forced to buy an EFiX dongle

This hardware just works like a charm, actually its creepy ...experiencing a hackintosh with absolutely no trouble (you dont need to patch/do ANYTHING)

This must be what a Mac must fell like

I'm not against Efi-X and I think nobody here is. We are just complaining about the way they inform his potential customers, they are doing it BADLY. It doesn't matter if they have the best product of the world or if they did a haaaaard work to get it working, we are just dissapointed becuase they "promised" something and now they just dissapeared without saying "Sorry we had problems, we will release the product soon. We'll let you know".

The point is that right now we got something that bring us the possiblity to make the same things than Efi-X and it's free. I think we all should be happy and looking to this new thing instead of discussing about a product that nobody know if is goign to be sold or when.

I had an email exchange with efi-x. I have to admit they don't exactly seem professional. But then neither does my dope dealer. Upshot is, the are focusing on on the R&D, and plan on having the dealers support it. And plan on it not needing much support. This seems like a bit of a mismatch with their target customer. Time will tell. Will keep trying to buy one, so this community can learn more about it.

I was browsing around the eFix website and guess what I found; a new dealer under the 'Where to buy' (products-where to buy). They are in Bulgaria and are called:

Computer Market

Bulgaria, Plovdiv 4000

170a "6-ti Septemvri" blvd.

phone: +359 32 26 26 56

mobile phone: +359 886 00 36 60

email: aculas@gmail.com

I have sent an email asking for pricing and other info and should (hopefully) get a reply soon. If anyone lives in Bulgaria they should go and take a look.

Mr Mook Mook

Guest BuildSmart
go tell that to someone on moofspeak who asks for help. he won't do and you can't expect everyone to be/become a computer geek.

It is super cool if someone is skilled and can proudly say "I don't need any help. It's ok for me , for isntance to correct my system after an update. It may take little time since I'm so skilled"

but you cant expect those words from everyone. So if you are one of those skilled guys , you can speak for yourself , but not for others.

and I can say "more EFiX users = less headache"

and if you still don't like it, don't buy it ... just don't throw the "homework-sentence" in the middle of the room and let the supporters do their job whereas you just leave after you said your sentence.

the supporting community needs to be respected and of course there will be still support there, since everybody won't /is forced to buy an EFiX dongle

This hardware just works like a charm, actually its creepy ...experiencing a hackintosh with absolutely no trouble (you dont need to patch/do ANYTHING)

This must be what a Mac must fell like

It's already released and they found out that there are motherboard compatibility issues (those they have found) and it's unlikely that it will be a seamless and simple solution to allow those less skilled to use it without some kind of issue despite whatever you believe.

Dumping the support onto the dealers is a good concept for them but that process hasn't worked well in any business that did not directly develop the product and train the tech department and not many small dealers have a technical department that would be able to support the customers who can't figure it out, not like Dell or HP is gonna jump on board and support the product.

What I've heard is they haven't properly tested the thing and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass, issues are popping up with hardware compatibility, the scramble to fix them is their concern as well as those who might wish to buy it with one being released now and a version 2 in a week or so.

No US dealers are wanted, or will be authorized or supported so already they've cut half of their potential market without making a single sale.

For it to work like a charm it would have to have the ability to identify a motherboard correct issues with the DSDT and BIOS, remap hardware, detect CPU and FSB, detect associated hardware and then select the appropriate patches, modules and extensions to apply during the boot of the native DVD and also have a way for it to magically install these components on the HD after the installation has completed so that it can boot form the HD without the dongle being in place.

One possibility would be to have personality modules that contain the appropriate software based on motherboard, CPU and expansion cards but then it becomes a semi-tailored solution.

When version 2 is finally being sold and out there for a couple of months we'll all find out what it's doing and how it's doing it and after that it would be a matter of time before someone figures it out, duplicate the process and offer tools to turn your flash drive into one.

It's already released and they found out that there are motherboard compatibility issues (those they have found) and it's unlikely that it will be a seamless and simple solution to allow those less skilled to use it without some kind of issue despite whatever you believe.

For it to work like a charm it would have to have the ability to identify a motherboard correct issues with the DSDT and BIOS, remap hardware, detect CPU and FSB, detect associated hardware and then select the appropriate patches, modules and extensions to apply during the boot of the native DVD and also have a way for it to magically install these components on the HD after the installation has completed so that it can boot form the HD without the dongle being in place.

When version 2 is finally being sold and out there for a couple of months we'll all find out what it's doing and how it's doing it and after that it would be a matter of time before someone figures it out, duplicate the process and offer tools to turn your flash drive into one.

Excellent points. Overall the efi-x doesn't quite add up. Some questions however. They have a HCL list of compatible tested motherboards. Don't those work?

Now, the litany of detection problems you cite, don't they apply equally to the exciting new BOOT-132 approach, which is still evolving will be interesting to see how they deal with it "Fortunately it seems that something better (cuz it's free) is already out there: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...113288&st=0

The BOOT-132 thread notes that its helpful to know ahead of time which .kext your machine requires.

You're right that efi-x is not worth copying until if and when it works properly. Does anyone know if there is any copy protection in the device? Is it a USB dongle with both memory and a smart chip in it like satellite TV uses; wondering if they did that. Yes, you could read it, but in the code would have a challenge/response to the encryption chip. I guess then someone could step through the code and try to patch this out.

Hi guys ,I'm from Bulgaria and was happy to see tt there's a dealer here.Well ,the dealer is a private person who would surely do better selling dope.He could not tell me anything precise and kept saying "soon i'll have a dozen and leave me yr number".The price will be 80 Euros,that's the only thing he was sure of.

Guest BuildSmart
Excellent points. Overall the efi-x doesn't quite add up. Some questions however. They have a HCL list of compatible tested motherboards. Don't those work?

Now, the litany of detection problems you cite, don't they apply equally to the exciting new BOOT-132 approach, which is still evolving will be interesting to see how they deal with it "Fortunately it seems that something better (cuz it's free) is already out there: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...113288&st=0

The BOOT-132 thread notes that its helpful to know ahead of time which .kext your machine requires.

You're right that efi-x is not worth copying until if and when it works properly. Does anyone know if there is any copy protection in the device? Is it a USB dongle with both memory and a smart chip in it like satellite TV uses; wondering if they did that. Yes, you could read it, but in the code would have a challenge/response to the encryption chip. I guess then someone could step through the code and try to patch this out.

Yes and no, currently the DFE CD swap solution has worded on every board I have tried it on (even the ones that fail with EFIX) that contains a Core DUO or better (a patched kernel option may be in the works), if configured properly it will work on every board with an intel CPU.

So you are saying that these guys need to be extremely skilled and professional programmers? Hardware detection is one of the hardest tasks in computer science it would seem.

well I think this will be my last post on this thread. I dont want you to think that you boomed me away with your facts and that I'm speechless now. It's just that I signed an NDA and can't convince you using facts.

So if any people read this post that know me , especially from irc , they know that they can trust me and I say this: this new bootloader stuff is faaar away from EFiX and when EFiX is wide spread everyone will get to know the effort , quality and professionality of this product and it'll sure become a mileston in osx86 history. To all the other guys I can only say this: Sorry folks I must not give you any information but I'll promise you .. you'll be stoned soon and I'm looking forward to your reaction :D

regards

iHack13

I'll promise you .. you'll be stoned soon

Given the demographics of this forum, at least this is highly likely :P

and I'm looking forward to your reaction

Dude ... look at Time Machine! [stares at the screen with an hollow-eyed gaze] It's like seeing the universe, man ...

I was browsing around the eFix website and guess what I found; a new dealer under the 'Where to buy' (products-where to buy). They are in Bulgaria and are called:

Computer Market

Bulgaria, Plovdiv 4000

170a "6-ti Septemvri" blvd.

phone: +359 32 26 26 56

mobile phone: +359 886 00 36 60

email: aculas@gmail.com

I have sent an email asking for pricing and other info and should (hopefully) get a reply soon. If anyone lives in Bulgaria they should go and take a look.

Mr Mook Mook

cool, I have a friend living in Plovdiv, think I'll need to urge him into checking this company

cheers

Once I have heard from long established and respected members that they sent off their money and they got the product, then I would be a lot more interested in telling my friends. Apple could knock this thing out with software update, yes? Or is it programable?

Boot-132, while not directly compareable, is rapidly evolving, in no small part because people are feeling let down by EFIX's lack of communication and the apparant sarcasm from people claiming to represent them.

Come on, guys, as a supporter of small business startups I want this product to be a winner and wish you all the best but... talk about being your own worst enemy.