EFiX: OSx86 gone commercial?

723 posts in this topic

You just know the price is going to be wrong, no matter what they set it at. Or do we know the price already?

Kind of makes me sad. The purpose of these boards, for me, is about moving toward eventual purchase of a Mac. A Hackintosh, even turbo charged, is still a tricycle with added safety wheels and a tendency for bits to fall off now and then. This thing would seem to rewrite the book, or perhaps not at all. Wouldn't want to be an early adopter.

You just know the price is going to be wrong, no matter what they set it at. Or do we know the price already?

Anything over 50 is going to be insane. I think 30 Euro / 40$ is about a fair price for it. I mean no one is expecting it to be free. Though if you price it too high, it stops being a hobbiest thing and starts becoming Psystar. I just wish they would hurry up with this info. All the insiders have been quiet for a week now and I am starting to have my doubts *maybe more sabotage?*

Boy, I think I am going to just get it anyway and see how it rolls. I have fairly compatible hardware for OSX86. I will take that chance.

If I have to get a new video card, who cares?

I am super down with this. Just for being able to boot straight up.

No hacked kexts (well, core kexts) and update safe? Sign me up.

Looks terrible for laptops. It will block all other ports around it. But then again, their laptop version may look different.

Not sure if PCI slot could be an alternative. That way it remains out of sight. but I doubt that could be used for first boot.

Site is down now, probably to much hits on suppose to be opening day!!! So, want to know the price for these things...
Site is actually not down, keep trying.... they must be getting hammered, it took me 10 tries to get the main page to load, but it finally did.
Not sure if PCI slot could be an alternative. That way it remains out of sight. but I doubt that could be used for first boot.
Actually, PCI cards can be bootable, that's how RAID controllers work. And PXE-enabled network cards. There are 3 main versions of the efi-x; one plugs into the internal USB header of your desktop, one is a PCI card, and one is for laptops (assume it's a USB dongle type device but they don't seem to have info up about it yet)

theyre linked on engadget, I wouldnt expect the site to be up until its off the front page

I'm browsing the site (albiet very slowly, think 5 minute page load times) right now. I see the only info up so far is about the internal USB version, and no "Where to Buy" info yet, wasn't today supposed to be the release date?

It is already the 24th in '80s Land, where the "creator" comes from :)

I honestly believe this is a fishing expedition.... they want investors and

pre-orders.

I don't believe this community is in any danger whatsoever !

I emailed efi-x and they replied very quickly. netkas also confirmed this on irc:

1. Bootcamp will not work.

2. Updating works without any patches as long as apple doesnt do something screwy with future updates…

It'll be more interesting when someone actually does a thorough review of it. If there are a few of them floating around in the public, why doesn't someone actually answer our questions about it and provide better insight?

cant netkas speak about this now lol since they said june 23rd is the release date and we havn't seen any demo or pics of it running beside the product info and the picture of the product.

and netkas's video of only the cd booting which is still great but just need....

The historical problem with setting dates is absolutely not that you need to stick to them but that you need to have someone breifing the masses on the current state of play, or those uninformed masses quickly become massively cynical and turn into the marketing equivilant of a lynch mob. You reap what you sew and all that.

2. Updating works without any patches as long as apple doesnt do something screwy with future updates…

Well, that alone makes it near useless IMO.

Unless it can be stealthed somehow, I think there may be a large mob of angry customers at a later date.