AppleSMBIOSEFI for Tiger and Leopard

242 posts in this topic

Great work. I really prefer your injector above all others. However with the Boot-132 method AppleSMBIOSEFI can't be loaded from extensions.mkext. Any way around this?

Having same problem. Would rather use AppleSMBIOSEFI over SMBIOSEnabler.

Is there a way to load this with .mkext?

Chun-nan,

Great work. I really prefer your injector above all others. However with the Boot-132 method AppleSMBIOSEFI can't be loaded from extensions.mkext. Any way around this?

Thanks,

-Stell

hi,

it does work if you copy (not move) the applesmbios.kext into the extra/extensions folder to be alongside the applesmbiosefi

N.B. obviously i'm using the chameleon efi version with an extentions folder inside the extra folder, instead of an extention.mkext

hi

very elegant kext :thumbsup_anim: , i'm having just one problem...

i'm using a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R with four 2gb ddr2 memory sticks, i get 8gig shown in "about this mac", but in system profiler they all show as 1gb sticks (all report the right speed though)

is this cosmetic only or will it cause problems?

i have noticed a couple of ram related apps report the 4gb instead of the 8gb, (i've been playing with using ramdisks as photoshop caches )

but my hackintosh does seem to use all the memory when running stuff.

hi

very elegant kext :) , i'm having just one problem...

i'm using a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R with four 2gb ddr2 memory sticks, i get 8gig shown in "about this mac", but in system profiler they all show as 1gb sticks (all report the right speed though)

is this cosmetic only or will it cause problems?

i have noticed a couple of ram related apps report the 4gb instead of the 8gb, (i've been playing with using ramdisks as photoshop caches )

but my hackintosh does seem to use all the memory when running stuff.

Just confirming I have exactly the same setup and get the same issue (4gb vs 8gb)

Hi guys,

I'm trying this and getting nowhere at all. I've installed the 10.5.5 vanilla SMBios and this alongside it. I can see that they're both getting loaded but when I bring up the hardware browser, it just says 'There was an error gathering this information'.

any ideas?

cheers,

Matt

Can someone tell me where i can get AppleSMBIOSEnabler. I am running a non efi system and can not seem to find this anywhere.

Thanks

Here it is.

With no SMBIOS kext besides the vanilla one, my CPU shows up as 4 GHz when it should show 2.8 GHz in About this Mac. This may be a result of my munky EFI partition install and it's special bootloader. In System Profiler, I get no information under Hardware.

With AppleSMBIOSEFI and the vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext, I get the same results. I think Memory shows correctly in SP.

With SMBIOSEnabler.kext, I get correct speed info under Hardware in System Profiler and About This Mac shows correctly 2.8GHz. Memory info does not work in System Profiler.

What do I need to keep my vanilla AppleSMBIOS and have Hardware and Memory work in SP, and have correct info in About This Mac? Thanks.

SMBIOSEnabler.kext.zip

Here it is.

With no SMBIOS kext besides the vanilla one, my CPU shows up as 4 GHz when it should show 2.8 GHz in About this Mac. This may be a result of my munky EFI partition install and it's special bootloader. In System Profiler, I get no information under Hardware.

With AppleSMBIOSEFI and the vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext, I get the same results. I think Memory shows correctly in SP.

With SMBIOSEnabler.kext, I get correct speed info under Hardware in System Profiler and About This Mac shows correctly 2.8GHz. Memory info does not work in System Profiler.

What do I need to keep my vanilla AppleSMBIOS and have Hardware and Memory work in SP, and have correct info in About This Mac? Thanks.

SMBIOSEnabler.kext finally fixed my cpu speed in About This Mac and System Profiler. Thank you for posting this :( Nothing else I have tried until now has worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends! Thanks everyone who keeps this project alive.

You see, I have a problem with memory and sound in my Hackintosh. The problem is that my sound works ONLY with 2 memory banks 2x512Mb. When I install 2 or even 1 bank 2Gb sound completely disappears. First I thought that the problem was with memory frequency. I changed 2x2Gb PC-6400 for 2x2Gb PC-5300. My FSB is 533MHz. But this didn't help. I tried to install Leo with 1x2Gb. The result is the same - no sound at all. The information about built-in audio in System Profiler stays the same as with 2x512 memory banks. I have my notebook hotkey Fn+Esc working - the mute/unmute are seen on display. Other devices work fine.

System Profiler says:

2x2Gb DDR2 SDRAM 0MHz OK

I installed different versions of AzaliaAudio+IOPCIFamily. Nothing helps :unsure:.

I suppose that changing SMBIOS may help solving this problem.

Can anyone help me?

With great respect, jazzminos.

Hi VooD,

I see you are usind the cdboot+dvd retail. I'm doing the same (upgraded to 10.5.4), I have a thinkpad T60 with a core duo. I have problems with smbios, I tried many versions (chun-nan + vanilla, dot.nub version 27 & 28) but my cpu model is not recognized at all. With dot.nub version for Macbook I had the best results, Coolbook recognized my CPU and runs fine!

My problem is that some applications stopped to work (i.e. Aperture and Lotus Notes not installing at all).

Which is your expreience with SMBIOS's?

Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks a lot

I have the same problem with the Lotus Notes installer (using GA-P35-DS3P & E8500) with both a vanilla install and a separate Kalyway install (both at 10.5.5). Have you been able to fix the installer problem??

Thanks.

I have the same problem with the Lotus Notes installer (using GA-P35-DS3P & E8500) with both a vanilla install and a separate Kalyway install (both at 10.5.5). Have you been able to fix the installer problem??

Thanks.

I solved this issue by using a fake system_profile in the sbin dir. Instead of the bin file, just put a file echoing the system_profile output, changed with at least "Processor Name: Intel Duo Core". This will work, the Notes installer is going to look for "intel" in this string...

Ciao!

• 3 weeks later...
==============================

static const char *

SMBMemoryDeviceTypes[] =

{

"RAM", /* 00h Undefined */

"RAM", /* 01h Other */

"RAM", /* 02h Unknown */

"DRAM", /* 03h DRAM */

"EDRAM", /* 04h EDRAM */

"VRAM", /* 05h VRAM */

"SRAM", /* 06h SRAM */

"RAM", /* 07h RAM */

"ROM", /* 08h ROM */

"FLASH", /* 09h FLASH */

"EEPROM", /* 0Ah EEPROM */

"FEPROM", /* 0Bh FEPROM */

"EPROM", /* 0Ch EPROM */

"CDRAM", /* 0Dh CDRAM */

"3DRAM", /* 0Eh 3DRAM */

"SDRAM", /* 0Fh SDRAM */

"SGRAM", /* 10h SGRAM */

"RDRAM", /* 11h RDRAM */

"DDR SDRAM", /* 12h DDR */

"DDR2 SDRAM", /* 13h DDR2 */

"DDR2 FB-DIMM" /* 14h DDR2 FB-DIMM */

};

==============================

Hi Chun-Nan,

What is the above used for?

You mention that you can change memory type at start up but I noticed that this is not permeant. It will revert to the old values on reboot.

Why not just hard code them like the sn?

Thank you!

Hi Chun-Nan,

What is the above used for?

You mention that you can change memory type at start up but I noticed that this is not permeant. It will revert to the old values on reboot.

Why not just hard code them like the sn?

Thank you!

Hi,

You need to put it in "com.apple.Boot.plist" file to make it permanent. The most important is, if your machine perform as it should be, all of this is not important. That just what I think.... ;) For example, OSX detect my memory speed as 0MHz, but I did not experience any problem.

kizwan

• 3 weeks later...