AppleSMBIOSEFI for Tiger and Leopard

242 posts in this topic

it does not show the right bus speed. 760MHz instead of 800MHz

is it just comsetic or the real speed?

I also have 720Mhz Hus Speed instead of 800 ;)

Hi mrroboto and macgirl,

You can give AppleSMBIOSEFI_b2 a try.

Chun-Nan

Thanks. Everything working fine except memory frequency showing 0 MHz. How can I fix that?

Hi Cillit Bang,

You can change the memory speed. Just boot with "memorySpeed=n" (n is the speed number you want)

You can change the memory type. Just boot with "memoryType=n" (n is the type number you want, 18 is DDR, 19 is DDR2)

Example:

memoryType=19 memorySpeed=533

Chun-Nan

Ok I'm confused. AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext is the kext we install and this tricks the vanilla SMBIOS into reading your system information correctly using EFI? Is that correct?

My bios does not send the correct information to my system. For example my bios sends to OSX that my FSB is 179mhz x 4 = 716mhz so I have to use the -g flag to force my system to 200mhz and thus I get my 800mhz in OSX even though it shows 716mhz.

Could this AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext correct that? I am guessing not. Currently I am using a SUPERHAI SMBIOS and it pulls my FSB as 716mhz because in his SMBIOS he pulls the information from a special string which I would bet is the same thing used in this AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or explain how this one works differently?

Hi 00Diabolic,

I think it has something to do with BIOS, ACPI table, or EFI table. AppleSMBIOS just read values from them. If the source is wrong, the outcome is wrong, too.

The difference will be that you don't have to replace AppleSMBIOS whenever it is being updated unless the stucture in AppleSMBIOS changes a lot.

Chun-Nan

Thanks. Now I got it working. But I wanna add it to my Boot.plist. Do I have to type in there any key or can I just put in the string?

EDIT: Any chance to get a real Serial Number shown in "Hardware" instead of "System Serial Number"?

@MACGirl:

I also have 720Mhz Hus Speed instead of 800 shock.gif

From your rig description i guess your opteron is overclocked? If your RAM divider isn´t 1:1 (result: 800MHz) it could be the correct speed your RAM is currently working at ...

Cheers

Goron

Hi mrroboto and macgirl,

You can give AppleSMBIOSEFI_b2 a try.

Chun-Nan

EDIT:

Worked :P

@MACGirl:

From your rig description i guess your opteron is overclocked? If your RAM divider isn´t 1:1 (result: 800MHz) it could be the correct speed your RAM is currently working at ...

Cheers

Goron

Yes my Opteron is overclocked but I am not using AppleSMBIOSEFI on my AMD rig, just in my Dell Laptop, on Windows TAT and CPUZ reports 800Mhz (on the Dell of course).

Thanks. Now I got it working. But I wanna add it to my Boot.plist. Do I have to type in there any key or can I just put in the string?

EDIT: Any chance to get a real Serial Number shown in "Hardware" instead of "System Serial Number"?

You put the values in the Kernel Flags key section if this is what you mean. Thanks Chan-Nan I have to check my notes/.kext's installed but I do believe I am running totally vanilla install except for the EFI strings needed now.

<key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>-v memoryType=19 memorySpeed=700</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>5</string>

My XPS is recognized as "Mac" on Model Name and "XPS M1330" on Model Identifier not as "Mac" and "macpro3,1" like others.

I don't know where the name is set, I am using vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext also :P

My XPS is recognized as "Mac" on Model Name and "XPS M1330" on Model Identifier not as "Mac" and "macpro3,1" like others.

I don't know where the name is set, I am using vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext also ;)

Same here!!!

Not sure but ...

I think that in your case Machine model Data entries are from DMI Bios records

and have priority before Model Identifier stored in AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext.

In my case i did edition of those records and wrote there

model: iMac7,1 witch gave me iMac7,1 not MacPro3,1

Same Story is serial number

post-31664-1212924424_thumb.png

To edit DMI DATA i used small app called DMICFG

Recently figured tiny issue:

(Sometimes) After restart system does not loading monitor calibration profile

and keyboard layout (modifier keys) are reverted to default state.

So, what is the best way to change the Model Name, ID and serial Number?And how to do it?
I wanna know that, too! Nun-Chan why don't you answer anymore?

If you are running with the ToH kernel, just modify the AppleSMBIOSEFI.cpp