AppleSMBIOSEFI for Tiger and Leopard

242 posts in this topic

Can I use this to change the mac's serial number? If so, how the heck do I use this file? Thanks!

-J

Sure - Like This...

Search:

#if 1
	OSData * serialNumber = OSData::withCapacity(11);
	if (serialNumber)
	{
		serialNumber->appendBytes("W1234567890", 11);
		serialNumber->appendBytes(NULL, 1);

Default serial number is W1234567890...

Change to e.g.:

#if 1
	if (serialNumber)
	{
		serialNumber->appendBytes("W1122334455", 11);

etc...

Hope this answers your question...

Can I use this to change the mac's serial number? If so, how the heck do I use this file? Thanks!

-J

Sure - Like This...

Search:

#if 1
	if (serialNumber)
	{
		serialNumber->appendBytes("W1234567890", 11);

Default serial number is W1234567890...

Change to e.g.:

#if 1
	if (serialNumber)
	{
		serialNumber->appendBytes("W1122334455", 11);

etc...

Hope this answers your question...

• 2 weeks later...

can someone help me please?? I managed to install the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext + AppleSMBIOS.kext for macbookpro someone posted here using kext helper and osx86tools. I have repaired permissions and rebooted many times but I cant get it to display MacBookPro as Model Identifier but it does change the boot rom version, my serial number, and my bus speed, it also fixes the speed of my cpu to the correct value. Refer to the attached picture to see what im saying here. BTW my bus speed should be 800MHz and not 3.2GHz.... it would be nice to have a bus that fast but no lol. Also when I run GeekBench it reports boot rom as Hackint0sh.

It is a retail 10.5.4 installation upgraded to 10.5.6 via ComboUpdate and im using MACinized's MacLoader tutorial detailed here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128274 to boot the installation. Is there something I'm missing here?

Here is the picture

th_84211_syspro_122_962lo.jpg

More information will be provided as requested if someone can help me.

can someone help me please?? I managed to install the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext + AppleSMBIOS.kext for macbookpro someone posted here using kext helper and osx86tools. I have repaired permissions and rebooted many times but I cant get it to display MacBookPro as Model Identifier but it does change the boot rom version, my serial number, and my bus speed, it also fixes the speed of my cpu to the correct value. Refer to the attached picture to see what im saying here. BTW my bus speed should be 800MHz and not 3.2GHz.... it would be nice to have a bus that fast but no lol. Also when I run GeekBench it reports boot rom as Hackint0sh.

It is a retail 10.5.4 installation upgraded to 10.5.6 via ComboUpdate and im using MACinized's MacLoader tutorial detailed here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128274 to boot the installation. Is there something I'm missing here?

Here is the picture

th_84211_syspro_122_962lo.jpg

More information will be provided as requested if someone can help me.

If you use my AppleSMBIOS you don't need AppleSMBIOSEFI (Don't have to since it is pre-patched...).

If MacBookPro5,1 under the Info.plist doesn't work set MacBookPro4,1 that should work.

If this is not enough use my kernel and set under com.apple.Boot.plist macmodel=MacBookPro4,1.

This overrides the default...

So remove AppleSMBIOSEFI and try it this way.

NOTE: under the Info.plist you can set your memory speed...

Hey andy just to let you know that I used your kernel + AppleSMBIOS.kext and I finally was able to set my Model Identifier to MacBookPro4,1 However my cpu speed fell back to 1.81GHz while the correct value is 2.0 Ghz (Intel Core2Duo T7300) and my bus speed keeps showing 3.2GHz while the correct value is 800MHz. I don't know if those values are cosmetic or real. When i run geekbench it shows Intel Core 2 Duo @ 725MHz which is way below stock speed even on battery power. Any way to fix this? Thanks for your help.

Hey andy just to let you know that I used your kernel + AppleSMBIOS.kext and I finally was able to set my Model Identifier to MacBookPro4,1 However my cpu speed fell back to 1.81GHz while the correct value is 2.0 Ghz (Intel Core2Duo T7300) and my bus speed keeps showing 3.2GHz while the correct value is 800MHz. I don't know if those values are cosmetic or real. When i run geekbench it shows Intel Core 2 Duo @ 725MHz which is way below stock speed even on battery power. Any way to fix this? Thanks for your help.

Well, when I have the time I could program in an override for the autodection of the bus speed.

That should fix this little issue up.

I'll let you know when I've done this.

Well, when I have the time I could program in an override for the autodection of the bus speed.

That should fix this little issue up.

I'll let you know when I've done this.

I also face the same problem.My FSB is 533Mhz(Quad pump of 133Mhz),but doesnt show up correctly it shows 2.13GHz.

Would really appreciate it that could be fixed.

Andy ,from where is OSX getting FSB value.Also when i used voodoo kernel(10.5.5),during verbose boot,i clearly see the message that the kernel knows that real FSB is 133Mhz,but system profiler still show wrong value.

Can someone please explain how i can load this to my OSX? I have 10.5.6 retail, and haven't seen any instructions for this. I have SMBIOS Resolver, but it characterizes my pc as a Mac istead of a Mac Pro.

Someone please explain how im supposed to compile this code, and what values im supposed to enter where. Not even a readme? :pirate2:

I also face the same problem.My FSB is 533Mhz(Quad pump of 133Mhz),but doesnt show up correctly it shows 2.13GHz.

Would really appreciate it that could be fixed.

Andy ,from where is OSX getting FSB value.Also when i used voodoo kernel(10.5.5),during verbose boot,i clearly see the message that the kernel knows that real FSB is 133Mhz,but system profiler still show wrong value.

One little question: what kind of CPU are you guys using?

It would appear the FSB speed gets multiplied by 4...

It would appear I need to do some work on this to correct this little issue...

I need more info first though...

Andy how can i change the boot rom to be more like the one of a MacPro3,1 i edited your AppleSMBIOS.kext but didnt work.

What precisely do you mean?

The SMBIOS table gets set PRECISELY as the one of a real MacPro3,1... (It is one from that machine so...).

Seems to be an issue since AppleSMBIOS-33...

FSB speed seems to get quadrupled for some hereby misdetecting the CPU speed...

I've encountered worse cases recently...

I installed my new AppleSMBIOS on Intel Core2Duo PC and it (mis)detected the CPU speed @ 200Mhz!

The values seem to be only cosmetic since the machine still ran fast but still... it's an issue I would like to see fixed...

I would like to know on which CPU's precisely it misdetects it so I can put a check for them inside the SMBIOS driver (and then not quad pumping the FSB speed...).

But I am looking into this but since my machine with an Intel Celeron M 420 and my friends AMD Athlon64 stepping N3 machine does not have this issue I have no way to test...

More info needed thus...

For the moment I am going to fix this by parsing a boot argument which disables the x4 function... that should be the manual fix that can work for all... (-noquadpump or something...)

Im using an intel core 2 duo t7300 (santa rosa):

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300

On this laptop

HP Pavilion DV9580US

I solved the cosmetics by editing the file /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resourses/English.lproj/Localizable.Strings but if you could work on the auto detection mechanism to correctly detect setting that would be great. thank for your help andy.

I added a picture of the file i edited and the edited fields so anyone want to fix the look of the system profiler while u solve this for us :)

PS: change English.lproj for the language u r using. If i can help you with testing andy just let me know.

post-22356-1236913585_thumb.jpg

Can anyone please tell me how i can actually use this? I dont have a compiler even. How and what compiler do i use? I have a ASUS P5Q-Pro, how can i put it together for that Mobo? I understand SMBIOSEFI translates some APIC values into mac-type settings, in essence kind of a translator of values.

Can anyone please tell me how i can actually use this? I dont have a compiler even. How and what compiler do i use? I have a ASUS P5Q-Pro, how can i put it together for that Mobo? I understand SMBIOSEFI translates some APIC values into mac-type settings, in essence kind of a translator of values.

just download andy's 9.6.0 kernel and install it then download andy's appleSMBIOS.kext and install it with kext helper

the reboot and boot with flag macmodel=<whichever model u like>

Ok just reporting back:

Andy i think i found the root of my "About this mac" window reporting 1.81 Ghz instead of 2.0GHz. Im using both superhai's voodoobattery.kext + voodoopower.kext. When i unload and remove voodoopower.kext my cpu speed is correctly detected @ 2.0Ghz but i dont have any power management at all. So I went and examined the contents of but found nothing related to multipliers or anything (when i load voodoopower.kext cpu speed = 181MHz * 10 =1.81 Ghz displayed... it should be 1.81MHz * 11 = 1.99 GHz) but I found in the info.plist a key called UseEfiFSB its a boolean. when true cpu speed = 1.81 GHz. when false cpu speed = 3.7 Ghz. Do you know where the UseEfiFsb value comes from?

Thanks for responding man. I won't be using Andy's kernel, i really don't want to modify my vanilla install. I'd rather ride out with my SMBIOS info wrong >_<

Currently using SMBIOSResolver.kext. I did use OSX86Tools to detect my cpu clock speed and model name. It did it flawlessly and inserted it into the boot p list file. Now my only problem is that in about this mac, my computer name appears as plain "Mac". Doesn't state the CPU's capabilities like iDeneb (MMX, SSE, ect) which i think looks super cool. Everything else gets picked up perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the late reply,the CPU i have is Intel Core Duo T2050@1.66GHz.Laptop is HP Pavallion DV6114TX.

Motherbaord is 945GM.

is there a memoryType for DDR3?

Not with this version...

• 2 weeks later...
If you used munky's boot from Efi partition method you can put andy's kernel and kexts in that partition without modifying your retail install.

Could you please explain this in more detail. I am running Boot-132 on a retail install and I am not sure where you are referring to place Andy's kernel? I am assuming obviously not on the root of my OS partition as that would replace the vanilla Apple kernel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm running iATKOS 5i updated (combo update) to 10.5.7 with Chameleon 2.0 RC bootloader. Since the 10.5.7 update, System Profiler says "There was an error while gathering this information." AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext is still in /System/Library/Extensions.

Is there a fix for this?