AppleSMBIOSEFI for Tiger and Leopard

242 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have updated the beta AppleSMBIOSEnabler. Now it should support EFI and Non-EFI system. It will work with original AppleSMBIOS like AppleSMBIOSEFI did. It should also fix "About This Mac" crash problem and wrong "Bus Speed" issue.

The trick I did to make this work is that I added "IOProbeScore" value so that hopefully it will be loaded before original AppleSMBIOS.

You can change the memory speed. Just boot with "memorySpeed=n" (n is the speed number you want)

You can change the memory type. Just boot with "memoryType=n" (n is the type number you want, 18 is DDR, 19 is DDR2)

Example:

memoryType=19 memorySpeed=533

Again, it is just the beta version and you still need the original AppleSMBIOS with it. You don't have to use AppleSMBIOSEFI if you choose to use AppleSMBIOSEnabler.

Chun-Nan

Chun-Nan did I miss something?

I dont get why if I use MacBookPro3,1 i got on system profiler Model Name: MacBook Pro, and if I use MacBookPro4,1 I got got on system profiler only Model Name: Mac !

What is wrong?

Also as i sad that coolbook.app refuse to throttle my cpu no mather what i do, i know this mods are just cosmetic, but why dosent work, and works on non SantaRosa model?

Here are my new lappie specs:

ASUS M50SV CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.39GHz [sSE3/PAE/XD/EST/VMX/EM64T/DualCore] L2 Cache: 3MB FSB: 800MHz RAM Usage: 799.0MB/4.0GB [❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙] Disk Usage: 97.24GB/305.84GB Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS [512 MB/QE/CI] 1440x900 Audio: Apple HDA OS: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)

Hi THe KiNG,

You can use the beta AppleSMBIOSEnabler-28 to see if coolbook will work on your machine or not. I tried it on my notebook and it showed information. However, I didn't register it yet so I am not sure if it is running correctly or not.

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan

It is now working on a Tiger 10.4.11.

But one thing i noticed during bootup with -v, it has error. something like this...

"Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS."

It is color Yellow. But its working though.

Chun-Nan, there is already an SMBIOSEnabler kext if you didn't know (which was written by me), changing the name now, will make people confuse between the 2 kexts, I'm not saying you can't use this name, but if you think about it, it's better to use another one.. there are many other words, like "Enhancer" or something.

Thanks,

-Kabyl

Hi Chun-Nan

It is now working on a Tiger 10.4.11.

But one thing i noticed during bootup with -v, it has error. something like this...

"Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS."

It is color Yellow. But its working though.

I can confirm that also.

Chun-Nan, there is already an SMBIOSEnabler kext if you didn't know (which was written by me), changing the name now, will make people confuse between the 2 kexts, I'm not saying you can't use this name, but if you think about it, it's better to use another one.. there are many other words, like "Enhancer" or something.

Thanks,

-Kabyl

Hi Kabyl,

I don't think I will change the name but I will remove it from the forum. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

hey, you two of the most gifted coders on the board, please don't fight like that .. :( esp. since both of you are coding in very similar areas. How about working together instead :) ?

I thought it was plainly obvious that Kabyl was only trying to clear up any confusion Chun-Nan, he mean't no disrespect :(

It would have been more appropriate for him to PM you directly though.

@ BugsBunny: Let's not forget Superhai as well :)

I thought it was plainly obvious that Kabyl was only trying to clear up any confusion Chun-Nan, he mean't no disrespect ;)

It would have been more appropriate for him to PM you directly though.

@ BugsBunny: Let's not forget Superhai as well :D

I knew I was doing something wrong...

I knew I was doing something wrong...

??

They are two seperate things. You were trying to clear up confusion, but it was not necessarily something that the public needs to read about or be involved with.

I also stated *more* appropriate, I didn't say it was *inappropriate*

P.

??

They are two seperate things. You were trying to clear up confusion, but it was not necessarily something that the public needs to be involved in.

I also stated *more* appropriate, I didn't say it was *inappropriate*

P.

yes, that's what I meant.. it would have been *more* appropriate.

yes, that's what I meant.. it would have been *more* appropriate.

Ah, sorry! thought you were being sarcy :P

Anyways, your request was totally legitimate, I hope Chun can see that...

I must say something on this...dunno if si ok.

First of all I'm just a n00b like others...trying to understand Mac OS X secrets...and hack it!

Why?

Because is possible..and gave me a lot of fun.

...maybe a n00b+ XD

What I dont understand is why I must see this, maybe somebody will ask WHAT?

This kind of argue dosent make me happy...why ? b/c there's nothing good that comes after "fights"

You DEV guys should join in one team and make things better, sorry Chun-nan, but you came here in this project a little bit late, that dosent mean you cant have good ideas, or cant use other sources, but IMHO is better to use something that already works and try to make it better... instead to make kexts just to make them...

We dont have time to argue, I prefer instead to have my time full with tests, trying to understand what works and what dosent.

Again make kexts not panics!

XD

XyZ

I must say something on this...dunno if si ok.

First of all I'm just a n00b like others...trying to understand Mac OS X secrets...and hack it!

Why?

Because is possible..and gave me a lot of fun.

...maybe a n00b+ XD

What I dont understand is why I must see this, maybe somebody will ask WHAT?

This kind of argue dosent make me happy...why ? b/c there's nothing good that comes after "fights"

You DEV guys should join in one team and make things better, sorry Chun-nan, but you came here in this project a little bit late, that dosent mean you cant have good ideas, or cant use other sources, but IMHO is better to use something that already works and try to make it better... instead to make kexts just to make them...

We dont have time to argue, I prefer instead to have my time full with tests, trying to understand what works and what dosent.

Again make kexts not panics!

XD

XyZ

Even though competition is a strong motivational aspect, what you are saying has a lot of merit.

There are so many great patches/injectors for the SMBIOS and loads of other stuff, like ACPIBattery, that all this confusion and conflict are bound to arise, we need to see more people working together :wacko:

When dev's get together though, they always have their own unique approach towards working on stuff, so it is essential to have an appointed project manager involved regardless of the undertaking.

It would be great to see their efforts combined though, sort of like a super group.

Hi,

@Chun-Nan you have write somthing about a entry in Info.plist that afects the loadorder of the extensions in your deleted post.

Could you explain that a little further? I have some problems with ATIinject that it is loaded to late so i get a

thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer: Busy services :
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer:   0674KSG [1]
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer:   0674KSG/AppleACPIPlatformExpert [1]
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer:   0674KSG/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0 [1]
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer:   0674KSG/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI [1]
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer:   0674KSG/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/AGP@1 [1]
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer:   0674KSG/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/AGP@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge [1]
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer:   0674KSG/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/AGP@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/VID@0 [1]
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer:   0674KSG/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/AGP@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/VID@0/ATIRadeonX1000 [1]
Jul 11 12:28:43 thinkpad configd[71]: InterfaceNamer:   0674KSG/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/AGP@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/VID@0/ATIRadeonX1000/IOService [2]

I think this could be helpful for me to get ATIinject loading before ATIRadeonX1000.

battery meter work fine on my Lenovo T61 Leo 10.5.4, many many thx :(

except that my battery is full and it shows 83% but at least I can see when power cable is plugged/unplugged and I'm very satisfied with this new "feature" :(

Does this new AppleSMBIOS enable the use of Coolbook or some other sort of cpu energy saver ? Is there anything else to do / download to make it possible?

It does indeed, the SMBIOS that he pulled earlier actually worked fine with CoolBook.

It does indeed, the SMBIOS that he pulled earlier actually worked fine with CoolBook.

You can get it to work with SMBIOS that doesn't hardcode Mac model identifiers, you need to add your model identifier into Coolbook kext, it will display temperature, steppings and voltages. If you have registered version, it should allow throttling but that doesn't work for some reason.

You can get it to work with SMBIOS that doesn't hardcode Mac model identifiers, you need to add your model identifier into Coolbook kext, it will display temperature, steppings and voltages. If you have registered version, it should allow throttling but that doesn't work for some reason.

Confirmed, all voltage and stepping readings are showing in Coolbook but CPU clock throttling and custom voltage settings are not working at all.

I am king noob today. Can someone please tell me how to do this? I can't make heads or tails out of it. No clue how to compile or what to edit. If someone can take 5 min to throw together a quick walkthrough for me you have no idea how much I would appreciate it.

I am nearly 100% on a perfect install with a boot-132/chameleon cross and the only thing missing is applesmbios support. Enabler isn't that great, and I want a pure vanilla install in the extensions folder (which I have). When using AppleSMBIOS.kext (macdotnub's 28), I need to -f on boot to get it to load. Obviously this isn't going to cut it.

ANYTHING to help would be great. The only things I really need are the About this Mac showing correct speeds and Hardware Overview showing a "real" serial and model.

Thanks.

I am king noob today. Can someone please tell me how to do this? I can't make heads or tails out of it. No clue how to compile or what to edit. If someone can take 5 min to throw together a quick walkthrough for me you have no idea how much I would appreciate it.

I am nearly 100% on a perfect install with a boot-132/chameleon cross and the only thing missing is applesmbios support. Enabler isn't that great, and I want a pure vanilla install in the extensions folder (which I have). When using AppleSMBIOS.kext (macdotnub's 28), I need to -f on boot to get it to load. Obviously this isn't going to cut it.

ANYTHING to help would be great. The only things I really need are the About this Mac showing correct speeds and Hardware Overview showing a "real" serial and model.

Thanks.

First you need the original AppleSMBIOS.kext

Then grab the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext from the build--development folder from the download. Install using KextHelper.

I had to edit my boot.plist in order to add the correct Kernel Flags for the Memory to read correctly, in my case memoryType=19 memorySpeed=533 for DDR2 533mhz. YMMV.

OK. That helps quite a bit.

How do I set the flags in the plist? <key> <string> type stuff? Where would this go in terms of my other EFI stuff?

Would I be able to set the serial in this or do I have to recompile manually?

Thanks again.

Bry, open the terminal and type:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Find the following:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

Add your Kernel Flags into the string, but be sure to test them at boot first. I am not sure if there is any way to change the serial number, but you can set the memory by adding memoryType=18 for DDR or memoryType=19 for DDR2 also memorySpeed=x where x is your specified speed.

mine looks like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>memoryType=19 memorySpeed=533</string>

cntrl-O to save then cntrl-X to exit

Maybe someone else can answer the serial number inquiry, I don't have any experience with setting the SN.