Greatest Mac in History

Swad

182 posts in this topic

while a stock g4 cube has limited uses these days, you can get some serious upgrades for it. i've seen some with dual 1.8 g4/1.5gb ram/120gb hdd and modern-ish graphics cards (gf 6200/ati 9800) and these have some serious beef! even my lowly 1.2ghz cube with rage128 feels smooth as silk, although it doesnt have QE or CI

The TAM's got to be it...

It might just've been a 5500 in a different case with an LCD attached to it, and it might have cost $10,000, but it was the precursor for all the clean, stylish looking Macs that were to follow, especially reminiscent of today's machines like the black MacBook and aluminium machines.

The TAM's got to be it...

It might just've been a 5500 in a different case with an LCD attached to it, and it might have cost $10,000, but it was the precursor for all the clean, stylish looking Macs that were to follow, especially reminiscent of today's machines like the black MacBook and aluminium machines.

Finally some one who agrees with me. I like the G4 Cube n all, but I guess this started the whole iMac thing.

Dont kick me if they had LCD iMacs before this, I actually dont know if they did or didnt.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2cents:

* Most revolutionary within Apple - Toss up between 1st Gen MAC or Newton (for breaking how the user interracts with machine.)

* Most revolutionary within industry - iPod + iTunes. Bring digital to the masses. (even your mom can do it...)

* Best selling - iPod again (no company, outside of Apple, has 60 percent market share of a commercially licensed technology.)

* Most technically advanced for the day - Newton

* Best industrial design - Apple ][ series . I kicked one down the hall and it booted okay.

* Best reviews - Tiger

* Best overall quality - Mac Mini (now if only we could get electricity to go wireless...)

* Best OS for the time - OsX, open source for the masses? (well almost.)

For general purposes, I will say Mac SE. The Mac were in offices, classrooms everywhere. No Mac has invaded into MS territory that deep ever!

Best performance/value? I vote for a LC III w/ a Daystar card, the cheapest Mac you could get at the time while performance exceed any Quadra.

Most powerful Mac? I will say Mac II series, they were doing things no computer (in near price range) could do at the time. Photo editing, Pre-press solutions, Sonic solutions, Premiere... you name it! Mac at that time was simply magic.

I'd like a return to the coloured days. They do iPods in pink, orange, green. . . Why not computers? I miss th clamshells - I needa more powerful box, so I wouldn't get one now. . . but a clamshell Macbook? Oh HELL yes!

if you want color, you could get one of those protective shells and spraypaint it, that's what im doing

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G5s don't do it for me. I mean they are just fast powerful G3s. What's the point of a fast powerful mac anyway? It's not like you can get any software that actually uses the power. Old macs were small, clever, efficient. Little jewels.

The best macs are the 512k - which is what the original was meant to be but for the price of RAM in 1984. I've still got mine and I'm never chucking it away. It was truly revolutionary - the manual actually explains the concept behind scroll bars, such was their novelty.

I like the Plus, too - still got one of those too.

The powerbook 180 - genius design, lovely screen (16 greys - wow!) and System 7.1, the best operating system Apple made until OSX. The original bondi blue iMac - the first PowerPC mac that didn't suck, though the OS is just a terrible bloated slow ugly version of System 7. The one that saved Apple. Finally the blue and white G3. ooh how I wanted one of those. The next legendary mac is still to come.

The Mac IIci that I had was fab too - really liked that - very powerful in its day, very expandable, and System 7.1 of course. The Mac classic I had was cute but silly. The color Classics were really nice though, especially when modded to G4s and forced to run OSX!

The newest mac I have is a PowerMac 7600 which I absolutely hate. It's rubbish. It was rubbish when it was new.

The Hackintosh I'm typing this on is rather fab though. Using OSX has made me seriously tempted by a new Intel Mac Mini.

G5s don't do it for me. I mean they are just fast powerful G3s. What's the point of a fast powerful mac anyway? It's not like you can get any software that actually uses the power.

Just because there isn't any software that you use that would use the power of a G5, it doesn't mean there isn't any software that does.

Worst: iBook 14' G3 800MHz

I agree with you there :(. I really cant talk much about any pre OS X Macs because I thought OS 9 and down sucked compared to Windows. Id say the best modern mac is the MacBook Pro.

• 3 weeks later...
Best: PowerMac Dual G4 500MHz

Worst: iBook 14' G3 800MHz

I've used both and you're definitely right about the iBook 14".

The Powermac though - it's among the best but I don't think it's THE best especially from a design standpoint

Just because there isn't any software that you use that would use the power of a G5, it doesn't mean there isn't any software that does.

very nice said :thumbsup_anim:

you have my respect :P

_________________________________/

G5 my favourite too.

that is the best,the most powerful and the machine with the best case ever from Cupertino .

~R

I'll always remember my Mac IIfx. Didn't own it(way out of my budget) but had one at the office. Insanely fast! (at that time anyway) I did however own a Performa 630 with an Apple TV Tuner card.

Not a Mac, the original Newton Messagepad was great fun. We used to write our names on it and the OMP would tell us what it thought of us. Handwriting recognition at that point in time was hilarious.

The greatest Mac in my office has to be the lone PowerMac 7600 that is still running System 7.5.1 & our invoicing system written by yours truly in 4th Dimension 3.5. I'll take pictures if you don't believe me!

Edit:

Having just wrote all that & reading through some of your posts, I feel old. You guys are talking about G3s & G4s and here I am babbling about 68030s & 040s & PPC604s & Sys 7.5. I think I'll take a nap now.

The greatest Mac in my office has to be the lone PowerMac 7600 that is still running System 7.5.1 & our invoicing system written by yours truly in 4th Dimension 3.5. I'll take pictures if you don't believe me!

Nice. "If it aint broke, dont fix it"

I was a fan of the cake box macs. I had a IIVX, and centris 650 (same case style) which were pretty okay but both a bit slow. Then a beige g3 which still runs. Nice design on both cases as far as accessibility for upgrades went. The older case though was much more solidly built... real metal on the inside and out.

Besides those, the mac Pluses we had in school were simply bulletproof - except for one time. I was playing a game once (Stratego I think), and noticed there was smoke emitting from the top of the computer. It smoked for what seemed like a long time before the computer stopped responding. Honest to god.