Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Another fresh USB install of High Sierra 10.13, Install completed and at desktop, i adjusted my settings, installed webdriver and reboot. No issues.

NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext & Lilu.kext in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other. AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy kext patch in config.plist.

No issues with blank/black screen. Webdriver activated without any issues.

For me simple NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext without lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext is enough to remove the black screen and spinning wheel with iMac 14,2 definition and my GTX 750 on HDMI

Yes the web drivers will support your GPU and it will support the Metal2 but your GPU won't work with the Apple drivers, no Kepler and Pascal GPU's will work with the apple's builtin driver.

In the interest of accuracy, this is incorrect.

Apple built in drivers will work for GTX680, 780, and first Titan.

The ONLY Kepler cards that required Web Driver were the 780Ti and Titan Black.

This should still be the case.

All Maxwell and Pascal cards required the Web Driver.

In the interest of accuracy, this is incorrect.

Apple built in drivers will work for GTX680, 780, and first Titan.

The ONLY Kepler cards that required Web Driver were the 780Ti and Titan Black.

This should still be the case.

All Maxwell and Pascal cards required the Web Driver.

I guess I meant Maxwell not Kepler and thanks for the correction :)

I edited my previous post.

Lastly, there's this over on the developer site regarding NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext:

Just to be clear, it's NOT needed on high sierra and in fact this should be uninstalled on high sierra.

they refactored the 10.13 web driver and it now plays nice nice with libval. no hacks are needed any more. little snitch, ibooks, etc all work good out of box with web driver.

I am not using it and things seem to be working fine so far.

Basically, if the driver installer hadn't left pieces of the old driver laying around for whatever reason, I think I'd have been just fine.

I have had a similar (frustrating) experience trying to get the web drivers working on a High Sierra upgrade (not a fresh install).

What appears to happen with the drivers is that the old version does NOT uninstall properly when the Nvidia control panel prompts you to update. Even uninstalling manually using the control panel doesn't seem to work. I ended up having to remove the old Nvidia kexts myself before installing the new version. Also it seems it might be important to temporarily enable SIP before installing the new drivers (CsrActiveConfig 0x00).

After installing the new drivers, if you boot to a black screen that loses signal, you need to make sure you have the latest Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup installed (alternatively you can run AGDPfix.app).

If you boot to a black screen that retains signal (just stays black but monitor remains on), try to screenshare with it from another computer. I found when screensharing while it was in this state, I could login and see the web drivers were enabled. Simply changing the resolution of my display in System Preferences made it work properly again. It seems there may be some kind of display setting for Nvidia left over from Sierra that needs to be reset. Changing the resolution appears to do this.

EDIT: The black screen that retains signal issue looks (for me) to be related to having 10-bit color enabled using ResXtreme. When you change the resolution in Displays in System Preferences, it resets to 8-bit mode and the signal is visible again. Perhaps the High Sierra Nvidia drivers no longer enable 10-bit color? Or the method ResXtreme uses to enable it is outdated?

If you are using verbose boot, be sure to 'enable Nvidia web drivers' in the Clover boot options. I was booting verbose and getting stuck on the login screen with a message like 'IoConsoleLogin' repeating because I had forgotten to enable the drivers in the Clover boot option menu.

Lastly, as @Mockletoy has reported, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext is not required for High Sierra. If you are having issues with the web driver on an upgrade install, I would suggest checking if the old version of the drivers has definitely been removed first.

• Like 3

@cyberdevs hi , i placed NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext into clover/kexts/other  and applyed the black screen patch...then.my gtx960 works fine. 

Share please your EFI. My 960 won't load) only cursor on black screen

The posted driver is working great for me on my rather old system with a gtx 960 2GB.

Before upgrading to high sierra I made sure to uninstall the nvidia drivers.  I then upgraded to high sierra then installed the high sierra nvidia drivers.  No problems.  I'm also not using any sort of AGDP 

fix or any other kexts other than fakesmc, voodoohda and my ethernet driver.

What fix you have in dsdt for gpu? 

I have had a similar (frustrating) experience trying to get the web drivers working on a High Sierra upgrade (not a fresh install).

What appears to happen with the drivers is that the old version does NOT uninstall properly when the Nvidia control panel prompts you to update. Even uninstalling manually using the control panel doesn't seem to work. I ended up having to remove the old Nvidia kexts myself before installing the new version. Also it seems it might be important to temporarily enable SIP before installing the new drivers (CsrActiveConfig 0x00).

After installing the new drivers, if you boot to a black screen that loses signal, you need to make sure you have the latest Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup installed (alternatively you can run AGDPfix.app).

If you boot to a black screen that retains signal (just stays black but monitor remains on), try to screenshare with it from another computer. I found when screensharing while it was in this state, I could login and see the web drivers were enabled. Simply changing the resolution of my display in System Preferences made it work properly again. It seems there may be some kind of display setting for Nvidia left over from Sierra that needs to be reset. Changing the resolution appears to do this.

EDIT: The black screen that retains signal issue looks (for me) to be related to having 10-bit color enabled using ResXtreme. When you change the resolution in Displays in System Preferences, it resets to 8-bit mode and the signal is visible again. Perhaps the High Sierra Nvidia drivers no longer enable 10-bit color? Or the method ResXtreme uses to enable it is outdated?

If you are using verbose boot, be sure to 'enable Nvidia web drivers' in the Clover boot options. I was booting verbose and getting stuck on the login screen with a message like 'IoConsoleLogin' repeating because I had forgotten to enable the drivers in the Clover boot option menu.

Lastly, as @Mockletoy has reported, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext is not required for High Sierra. If you are having issues with the web driver on an upgrade install, I would suggest checking if the old version of the drivers has definitely been removed first.

hello.. well I have the same - boot to a black screen with mouse that retains signal, changing the resolution in System Preferences - not working for me. what I could try.. 

Another fresh USB install of High Sierra 10.13, Install completed and at desktop, i adjusted my settings, installed webdriver and reboot. No issues.

NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext & Lilu.kext in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other. AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy kext patch in config.plist.

No issues with blank/black screen. Webdriver activated without any issues.

Hi how to put ApplegraphicDevicePolicy kext patch how to put in config.plist?

is this it ?

<key>KextsToPatch</key>       

<array>
    <dict>
        <key>Comment</key>
        <string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (board-id) Patch © Pike R. Alpha</string>
        <key>Find</key>
        <data>
        Ym9hcmQtaWQ=
        </data>
        <key>Name</key>
        <string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
        <key>Replace</key>
        <data>
        Ym9hcmQtaXg=
        </data>
</dict>
</array>

thanks advance

hello.. well I have the same - boot to a black screen with mouse that retains signal, changing the resolution in System Preferences - not working for me. what I could try.. 

it goes into black screen without NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext

GTX 970

Its worked with HDMI 

Displayport black screen.

1-Disabled NV kext via config ( nv_disable=1)

2-Install the original version of the AppleGraphicsControl.kext 

3-  InstallNVIDIA 10.13 WebDriver package.

4-Enable NV graphics remove this nv_disable=1

5-Add clover config

Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696

Find

BA050000 00

Replace

BA000000 00

Name

com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy

6-Install this kexts to EFI

Lilu.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext

7.Restart with HDMI cable.

8-Final Before restart check  boot  Arguments  -v dart=0 darkwake=0 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 debug=0x100 

9-you have to add nvram.plist nvda_drv=1

10-Thank you for apple and you, don't forget to like my post.

Enjoy :thumbsup_anim:

post-413859-0-02102600-1506695985_thumb.png

EFI_kexts.zip

• Like 1

Share please your EFI. My 960 won't load) only cursor on black screen

What fix you have in dsdt for gpu? 

I don't have any sort of fix in my DSDT for gpu.

I did forget about the AGDP work around that I am using.  I use imac11,3 system definition and an imac14,1 board-id.  If I don't do that I get a black screen.

GTX 970

Its worked with HDMI 

5-Add clover config

Find

BA050000 00

Replace

BA000000 00

Name

Lilu.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

8-Final press space bar thick don't reboot on panic this is fixed black screen.

now what to do? i use displayport... sh

now what to do? i use displayport... sh

you can buy $10 :)

• Like 1

you can buy $10 :)

to clarify, with DisplayPort you have a black screen with the functional slider?

this is my case ... through ScreenSharing I have access to my computer, all working.

• Like 1

For my setup, it seemed that having 10-bit color set in macOS caused it to go black. Once I changed to a different resolution, the color depth reset to 24-bit and I could see everything again. It may just be my setup, perhaps. What does System Profiler/Graphics report your display color depth as? Mine is 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

GTX 970

Its worked with HDMI 

5-Add clover config

Find

BA050000 00

Replace

BA000000 00

Name

Lilu.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

8-Final press space bar thick don't reboot on panic this debug is fixed black screen.

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext is not needed if you apply this patch

For my setup, it seemed that having 10-bit color set in macOS caused it to go black. Once I changed to a different resolution, the color depth reset to 24-bit and I could see everything again. It may just be my setup, perhaps. What does System Profiler/Graphics report your display color depth as? Mine is 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mine is also 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

• Like 1

so changing it before high sierra whas doing nothing? ....it didnt look like.

its a 8 bits vs 10 bits deep colors..

Uhmmb, not really sure then.. I don't see any difference between two, FYI this change was there since 10.12.x afaik.

Success here with GTX 970 Gainward phantom

With latest Clover configigurator 4.52: System Parameters: NvidiaWeb:true and InjectSystem ID:true

in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.13

-Lilu.kext

-NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

-NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext

:lol:

what type of cable you use?

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext is not needed if you apply this patch

Mine is also 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

I used nvram.plist too.