LaCie USB 3.0 drivers are here for OS X

antic

240 posts in this topic

I modified the IOUSBFamily of OS X 10.6.5 to support CalDigitxHCI.kext (and a few other fixes as well).

Thanks. I can now see the Superspeed bus in SysProfiler but I cannot mount anything on the ports - either usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 devices.

At least it doesn't KP now, which I was starting to get with the LaCie driver.

• 2 weeks later...
I modified the IOUSBFamily of OS X 10.6.5 to support CalDigitxHCI.kext (and a few other fixes as well).

Download:

http://rapidshare.com/files/435500537/IOUS...ly_USB3_AnV.zip

Edited CalDigitxHCI.kext (for all USB3 controllers):

http://rapidshare.com/files/436438000/CalD...SBxHCI.kext.zip

Hey Andy:

HERE YOUR MOD DOESNT WORK the hard disk doesnt power up correctly, in system profiler USB super speed is showed up

the modbin one (Lacie mod) is working fine

Im using original mac pro 4,1

USB 3.0 Controller: ASrock pci-e

Chipset - NEC µPD720200

Interface - PCI Express 2.0 x1

Connector - 2 x USB 3.0 ports

OSX 10.6.5

Glad to hear that Mac can 'somewhat' support USB 3. Great work folks and thank you!!!

as a newbie here, wondering if anyone can clarify something for me.....

I understand up to the point of replacing a file from Lacie's driver with modbin's modified kext BUT.......I don't know how to (1) repair permission (2) clear and rebuild cache???? are these steps a must to work?? Do we need to do both these steps or it should work by just replacing the file?

2ndly, has anyone follow up on Dreamwatcher's link for Calgidit unlocked USB 3 Driver.

thanx in advance.

katie d.

Regarding the trouble going to sleep:

My system (G41, OS 10.6.6 vanilla, SleepEnabler 10.6.6) sleeps OK after installing modbin's patched PXHCD.kext, provided there is no disk attached to the USB 3.0 port of a noname mini-PCI card.

As soon as I attach a disk, sleep is disabled (manual and timed). I've discovered, however, that once the kext is unloaded, manual sleep is possible:

>sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/PXHCD.kext

... obviously loosing USB 3.0 connectivity.

Once the kext is loaded (with the "kextload" command as root), initial functionality resumes.

So, the bottom line is that - sleep is possible, but only manually and only after explicitly unloading the kext.

Hope that modbin and/or Stellarola provide a durable fix!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just installed the patched PXHCD.kext on my 2008 MacBook pro, works fine with my AKE USB 3.0 Express Card, speed is great. (Chose this one because it perfectly fits into the macbook so the card can stay in it all the time)

But: My MBP doesn´t sleep anymore when I had an USB3 device connected. Just gets stuck with a black screen and running fans. Even removing the Express Card doesn´t help, the macbook won´t sleep, no matter what I do.

Already tried to unload the kext before sleeping, but then I´ll get this:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/PXHCD.kext
(kernel) Can't unload kext com.LaCie.driver.PXHCD; classes have instances:
(kernel)	 Kext com.LaCie.driver.PXHCD class PXHCD has 1 instance.
Failed to unload com.LaCie.driver.PXHCD - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload).

Anyone got an idea? I wont need USB3 daily, so it would be okay to restart my macbook every time I used USB3, but of course it would be much better to have it running completely stable.

thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Hm, after a reboot kextunload is working properly... Okay, then I´ll do this everytime I have used USB3...

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

It's been a while but there is a new issue with the USB 3.0 Lacie drivers. Basically they flood the system log with errors and bring the whole machine to a halt when they are used with the VLI810 hubs built in to many new boards. I noticed there is a new driver from Sonnet that they offer with their USB 3.0 add-on card (also NEC based). It seems to be based on the same driver as Lacie and even says in the description that it wont work with hubs on OS X but i still feel its worth a shot. The driver itself see,s to be a later release. The odd thing though is even though it has the same ioclass entry in plist as the lacie, while the lacie will load the sonnet driver never seems to load. Can someone take a look at this and see if they can edit the driver to load on generic hardware? I tried messing with plist definitions but that did not seem to help any.

Here is the link to the driver:

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.ph...mp;action=a3#a3

Many thanks,

g\

Firstly, thanks to Modbin and the people who tested out the patched driver. I have the Lacie USB3.0 express card in a MacPro 1,1 (late 2006), and the driver patch works great so far. The only thing I have to test it with is a Toshiba external usb3.0 drive, and I am getting 100MB/s speeds, compared to 36MB/s with USB2.0.

Unfortunately, I am getting the same sleep issues as other users. With or without the USB3.0 drive plugged into the computer, when I sleep the computer, the hard drives spin down, the display turns off, and it acts like it goes to sleep. But, the fans continue to spin at low rpm, and the computer never completely shuts off. It sure would be awesome if this problem could somehow be fixed without having to resort to unloading and reloading the kext every time I sleep my machine.

Though I am not a hugely knowledgeable programmer or anything, if I can help this effort by providing log files or anything else, let me know.

There's a new Lacie USB 3.0 driver available (1.0.7, from 26 may 2011) http://www.lacie.com/us/more/index.htm?id=10112

How can I remove the Lacie-limitation check?

Here you go! All credit goes to modbin. I was able to diff the original binary with the modbin one and find the edit he made. Those sections were identical in the new driver so i applied the same change to it and it works.

Interesting for those that have been followong the VLI saga, that on this new driver it throws quite a lot of errors on startup but then it stops and the machine runs fine whereas the old driver would slow the machine to a halt. i now see the VLI hubs in the about this mac but USB3 devices attached wont show up.

Progress?

cheers,

[g]

P.S. please make sure you install the full LaCie driver package and only then replace the kext using kexthelper or the like.

PXHCD.kext.zip

I can confirm that updating to the new patched kext fixes the sleep issue. I was actually (accidentally) using the 1.0.7 version of the Lacie driver with the older patched kext. Perhaps this is where the sleep issue was coming from.

Anyway, the driver is working great now! Thanks a lot Genzai!

I can confirm this kext now works for me with Sleep. My rig is listed below. I'm using an eVGA USB3 NEC chipset card with a Seagate GoFlex USB3 external drive. Time Machine backups will be much quicker now. Whoo hoo!!!

I can confirm this kext now works for me with Sleep. My rig is listed below. I'm using an eVGA USB3 NEC chipset card with a Seagate GoFlex USB3 external drive. Time Machine backups will be much quicker now. Whoo hoo!!!

thanx im gonna give that EVGA EU30 PCI-E a go.............

My seagate usb3 external hd constantly disconnects after about 5 minutes with this driver. Same thing happened in 10.6.7 and now in 10.6.8. Any solution? Oh and I also lose every usb device EXCEPT my usb3 hd after my computer wakes up from sleep.

Hello guys,

Thanks for the new patched driver,

Can anyone check if Deep Sleep works for you ? Sleep started to work with the driver but I get an instant Kernel Panic on Deep Sleep if I have a USB3 Disk mounted when putting the computer to sleep. I'm not sure if it's something on my part or it's the driver itself that's causing the problem.

Thanks. ;)