LaCie USB 3.0 drivers are here for OS X

antic

240 posts in this topic

My "My Passport" have the about the exact same speeds perhaps a bit more(about 69MB/s).

Works ok until I try to use as a backup drive with Superduper, copies for about half of the root drive then it unmounts!

Why??

Hi,

Just for information:

I try the modbin patch on MacBook Pro 15 Late 2008 with:

- Storeva ExpressCard USB 3.0 2 ports (30€ from macway.com)

(need to plug one usb2.0 on the card for more power)

- Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 Go USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 (from fnac.com)

If I insert or remove the ExpressCard with PXHCD.kext (lacie or modbin), the macbook freeze.

I need to put the ExpressCard before and use:

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/PXHCD.kext

(check "sudo dmesg | grep PXHCD" for more log)

Read Write About 30mo/s on usb2 and 60mo/s on USB3.

Regards

Edit: I try the caldigit driver below and changes values in plist, but card was not working or crash the kernel.

post-166978-1290553167_thumb.png

So you can't use the Asus U3S6 card for example, because it has a PLX bridge?

I thought that Cartri was using this card with the hacked Lacie drivers and the sata6g ports were also working without any new drivers or kexts?

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/revi...gbps-pcie-card/

I am creating some hacks to the whole card - it has its own pci firmware with registers and so on - could achieve this result until now:

capturadetela20101123s0.png

but this is being for me purely cosmetical (besides also being "putting things in order"), and included my modified mobo bios, fortunately i did not achieve a mac pro and can't give the final results. I will launch a kext with an installer to this expansion board soon, including device properties etc. For now i can get it to be recognized as internal ans such, but I don't really know the results in a macpro...

When my mind find peace and health after what has been happening to any initiative that i try to launch, this is one of my untracked, unfinished, unpolished etc etc etc projects.

Basically it should still work with the actual driver, but never get the AAPL,blablabla arguments to 900mAh... I guess you really can use this board in a real mac pro with modbin's work. I have to remake some stuff at my site, at my life, at my mind (almost lost one of my best corporate clients in Rio almost screaming with its' CEO). For now, im off, sorry

I have a Caldigit card on a mac pro 2010 and their updated driver for 10.6.5 but compared to a windows box with built in isb 3, it is slower, especially on writes. I moved the card from the 4x slot to the 16x slot and it helped a wee bit, but not too much. I tried another evga NEC based usb 3.0 card to see if the drivers would work on it but they do not, at least without mod. In any case the speed of the usb 3 on the mac is definetly better than usb 2, but not at full potential. I do not know whnether this is because of having to use a pci bridge, becuase it's on a mac, or simply badly written drivers. I suspect badly imature drivers is the problem. I don't see this improving much until Apple writes their own. Anyone have any tips for eeking out a bit more speed as it is?

I have a Caldigit card on a mac pro 2010 and their updated driver for 10.6.5 but compared to a windows box with built in isb 3, it is slower, especially on writes. I moved the card from the 4x slot to the 16x slot and it helped a wee bit, but not too much. I tried another evga NEC based usb 3.0 card to see if the drivers would work on it but they do not, at least without mod. In any case the speed of the usb 3 on the mac is definetly better than usb 2, but not at full potential. I do not know whnether this is because of having to use a pci bridge, becuase it's on a mac, or simply badly written drivers. I suspect badly imature drivers is the problem. I don't see this improving much until Apple writes their own. Anyone have any tips for eeking out a bit more speed as it is?

I dont think apple will write usb drivers to NEC. In the contrary its interesting translating this:

11/13/10 8:54:53 PM kernel USBF: 80058.424 Endpoint 0x81 of the USB device "AS2105" at location 0x200000: converting Bulk MPS from 1024 to 512 (USB 2.0 Spec section 5.8.3)

11/13/10 8:54:53 PM kernel USBF: 80058.424 Endpoint 0x2 of the USB device "AS2105" at location 0x200000: converting Bulk MPS from 1024 to 512 (USB 2.0 Spec section 5.8.3)

into "oh my god, someone is using something against my patent agenda, put him down!"

Dont blame "badly written drivers", blame restrictive operational system.

Apple don't want usb3 now. Its clear. Until sandy bridge comes with it, they dont want you using it except someone (lacie, calldigit etc) pays them for that.

It is also good to remember that USB3 has been on hold by intel for almost a year and only came out because AMD nVidia and NEC came to public about this, even saying that they would do it by themselves if intel did not release it.

And that is just what nec did, there is almost no difference between usb3 0.96 0.98 and "intel 1.0" specs.

They are playing ping pong.

We are the ball.

I used Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.51 to install the Lacie kext pre-patched with Modbin's fix. Rebuilt caches and rebooted but got nothing about Superspeed in profiler. I uninstalled the PXHCD kext installed by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.51 and ran kext utility. Rebooted and then installed via the Lacie installer. Removed the PXHCD file from within the Lacie kext and replaced it with ModBin's PXHCD. Ran Kext Utility and rebooted. Still no joy on USB 3 ports. Superspeed doesn't show up at all in system profiler and I've tried all possible combinations of integrated peripherals settings in bios. Also tried with both 32 and 64 bit kernels.

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Anybody have any idea why this isn't working for me? Could it be another kext like iousbfamily that's interfering?

My DSDT is the F8 version for GA-P55-USB3 v2 from Tony's bank. Might that need an edit?

Thanks

=========================

OS X 10.6.5

Intel Core i5 750, GA-P55-USB3 v2 F8

Corsair HX750W, CoolerMaster 690 II

Corsair H50, G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4gigs

2 - WD Black 1TB, 1 - WD Green 1.5TB

1 - Samsung Spinrite 1TB

1 - Seagate GoFlex 3TB USB 3.0

icon_neutral.gif

Anybody???

OS X 10.6.5

Intel Core i5 750, GA-P55-USB3 v2 F8

Corsair HX750W, CoolerMaster 690 II

Corsair H50, G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4gigs

2 - WD Black 1TB, 1 - WD Green 1.5TB

1 - Samsung Spinrite 1TB

1 - Seagate GoFlex 3TB USB 3.0

Sorry, but auto installers are hard to track, except by the author...

I did not answer because of lack of knowledge on "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]"

Sorry, but auto installers are hard to track, except by the author...

I did not answer because of lack of knowledge on "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]"

The only Automator i could suggest is AppleJack.

If you use kext utility for instance and then you pick disk utility (the one from OS X itself) and tell him to repair permissions you will notice wrong permissions on your just installed kext.

I mean, I am not against the idea of simplifying the normal user experience of installing a kext (at least, this is a mac ahn) the problem with K.U. is that it makes its work wrong.

OK. Thanks. I'm surprised to hear that KU doesn't do it's job correctly. What method would you recommend for installing a kext? Kext helper B7 seems to work but it never closes properly for me and I generally have to force it to quit so I avoid it. Should I just move a kext into SLE and run disk utility repair permissions? How about PFIX? I just used the Lacie uninstaller to remove the Lacie kext and reinstalled using the Lacie Pkg. I then inserted the PXHCD_patched into the installed kext replacing the existing one. I then used disk utility to repair permissions and for good measure I ran PFIX to rebuild my caches. I rebooted and still I see nothing in profiler under USB indicating SuperSpeed Bus. What would you do at this point?

Thank You For Your Help!

SXBB

Hi,

I just downloaded AppleJack and will explore it a bit!

Thanks

SXBB

OK. Thanks. I'm surprised to hear that KU doesn't do it's job correctly. What method would you recommend for installing a kext? Kext helper B7 seems to work but it never closes properly for me and I generally have to force it to quit so I avoid it. Should I just move a kext into SLE and run disk utility repair permissions? How about PFIX? I just used the Lacie uninstaller to remove the Lacie kext and reinstalled using the Lacie Pkg. I then inserted the PXHCD_patched into the installed kext replacing the existing one. I then used disk utility to repair permissions and for good measure I ran PFIX to rebuild my caches. I rebooted and still I see nothing in profiler under USB indicating SuperSpeed Bus. What would you do at this point?

Thank You For Your Help!

SXBB

Hi,

I just downloaded AppleJack and will explore it a bit!

Thanks

SXBB

Do not use pfix, just touch your extensions folder and OSX will rebuild its caches:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

About the permissions, yes: drop your new kext there, then as soon as possible repair permissions, only then touch the folder.

Pfix creates caches where it was not always needed or wanted...

AppleJack is just a script that runs OSX own tools in order, its highly recomended over any GUI tool.

Thanks cartri! This is all very good information. I'm still unable to get the USB 3.0 to be recognized by my system though. I'm wondering if it may be the bios or DSDT.aml that I'm using? I think I'll rollback to an earlier version and see if it makes any difference.

I rolled back to F6 from F8 and rolled back my DSDT to match and see no change. I'm starting to wonder if maybe there's a problem with my Motherboard's onboard USB3 controller. I'm sure that I have followed the instructions for the Lacie kext and PXHCD_patched but I see no result. After I ran AppleJack auto restart the next boot went slowly as each kext was loaded and I was able to see that PXHCD loaded without any error messages. I really don't want to return my new 3TB USB 3.0 drive but if I can't get the speed out of it then I don't really have a use for it. I'm hoping for a miracle!

Thanks Again,

SXBB

Are there similar bridging considerations with ExpressCards? I cannot get a Freecom NEC based card to register in my Macbook Pro with the patched driver.

Can you give us more information on what you are trying? I mean, what errors are you getting etc, screenshots, pastes etc

There isn't too much to say. The card works under Bootcamp, so there are no hardware issues. It has the usual NEC chip but the kext will not load.

post-259482-1291848215_thumb.jpg

I tried the same kext in a hackintosh desktop with the Asus card and the Superspeed port showed up promptly in Sysprofiler.

Not so on the MBP with the Freecom card

post-259482-1291848004_thumb.jpg

The ExpressCard icon shows in the menu with USB Controller as the only context menu entry apart from Power Off Card. No mention of the kext or any problems in the system logs, either.

works here... i need to do some tests...

but speed seems very fast... in system profiler i can see Super Speed BUS :(

Install method: First the official install from Lacie, then the patched kext (downloaded at cartri blog)

USB 3.0 COntroller: ASrock pci-e

Chipset - NEC µPD720200

Interface - PCI Express 2.0 x1

Connector - 2 x USB 3.0 ports

OS - Microsoft® Windows® 7 / 7 64-bit / Vista™ / Vista™ 64-bit / XP / XP 64-bit compliant

USB Super-Speed Bus:

Posizione controller host: USB integrata

Driver controller host: PXHCD

ID dispositivo PCI: 0x0194

ID revisione PCI: 0x0003

ID fornitore PCI: 0x1033

Numero bus: 0x00

My Passport 0730:

Capienza: 1 TB (1.000.170.586.112 byte)

Disco estraibile: Sì

Unità amovibile: Sì

Nome BSD: disk3

ID prodotto: 0x0730

ID fornitore: 0x1058 (Western Digital Technologies, Inc.)

Versione: 10.08

Numero di serie: 575836314338303033323835

Velocità: Fino a 480 Mb/sec

Produttore: Western Digital

ID posizione: 0x00200000

Corrente disponibile (mA): 500

Corrente necessaria (mA): 224

Tipo mappa partizione: GPT (GUID Partition Table, Tabella di partizione GUID)

Stato S.M.A.R.T.: Non supportato

Volumi:

Capienza: 209,7 MB (209.715.200 byte)

Scrivibile: Sì

Nome BSD: disk3s1

WD1TB:

Capienza: 999,83 GB (999.826.612.224 byte)

Disponibile: 974,85 GB (974.847.918.080 byte)

Scrivibile: Sì

File System: Journaled HFS+

Nome BSD: disk3s2

Punto di attivazione: /Volumes/WD1TB

HOPE IT HELPS!

The LaCie package sees my EVGA Eu30 USB3 PCI-e card but doesn't see my USB3 external drive. Tried both ports and also the updated kext. Still no go. This card is like the LaCie card and uses the NEC chipset.

I stand corrected. I missed the patched kext (had installed the modified one posted a couple of posts above). I applied the patched to the LaCie install and it now sees my Seagate Goflex drive.

Edit: Its touch and go actually. I found that my OSX was starting to freeze up and was forced to reboot. Then I noticed my HD's running REAL slow (very poor performance). Removed the driver package using LaCie's uninstaller, rebooted, reinstalled LaCie package, rebooted, applied the patch and even though it sees the card it won't see the drive anymore.

Thanks for the kext! Still doesn't show up unfortunately. The USB 3 ports are powering the drive but it just isn't mounting and still no sign of SuperSpeed Bus in profiler.

:pirate2:

sevenxbb, I had a similar problem with my H55N-USB3. Check that the USB 3.0 controller is enabled in the BIOS

I modified the IOUSBFamily of OS X 10.6.5 to support CalDigitxHCI.kext (and a few other fixes as well).

Download:

http://rapidshare.com/files/435500537/IOUS...ly_USB3_AnV.zip

Edited CalDigitxHCI.kext (for all USB3 controllers):

http://rapidshare.com/files/436438000/CalD...SBxHCI.kext.zip

sevenxbb, I had a similar problem with my H55N-USB3. Check that the USB 3.0 controller is enabled in the BIOS

Yes, I've been trying with it enabled in bios in F6 and F8 but it doesn't show up in system profiler. I'll give the patched iousbfamily.kext a go with the CalDigitxHCI.kext and see if that works.