LaCie USB 3.0 drivers are here for OS X

antic

240 posts in this topic

These new drivers are working perfectly with Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 running 10.7.2, unpatched. I'll test with Sabertooth X58 later.

edit. Working fine also with Asus X58 Sabertooth, no problems with restart/shutdown/sleep with USB3 disk attached.

Hi! the new 1.0.8 lacie driver not work on Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 (with the NEC 720200 chip) with a western digital USB 3 drive. Console said me:

kernel: PXHCD 0xffffff80f2f68000::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[1058]

Than it works only with an USB 3 Lacie drive. Need to be patched!

EDIT: OK I've patched it (now it works for me!). Good luck! ;)

All credits go to modbin and genzai (I'have only used their solution)

PXHCD_1.0.8_kext_patched_OSX10.6_10.7.zip

• Like 1

Hi! the new 1.0.8 lacie driver not work on Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 (with the NEC 720200 chip) with a western digital USB 3 drive. Console said me:

kernel: PXHCD 0xffffff80f2f68000::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[1058]

EDIT: OK I've patched it (now it works for me!). Good luck! :(

All credits go to modbin (I'have only used his solution)

Hi...

Nice One!!!

can you also patch the binary of leopard. Thanks :)

EDIT: OK I've patched it (now it works for me!). Good luck! :unsure:

STRANGE! I've exactly the same motherboard, and here it works perfectly with the new UNPATCHED kext from the Lacie website! With a non Lacie external Samsung HDD.

STRANGE! I've exactly the same motherboard, and here it works perfectly with the new UNPATCHED kext from the Lacie website! With a non Lacie external Samsung HDD.

Really strange! Maybe LaCie use Samsung hard disk?!?

Please try with another drive (WD or Seagate...). In my case (WD My Passport 1TB) the only solution is the patch.

• 1 month later...

Can someone comment on what "non-LaCie" expresscards have been used successfully with this driver ? and if it properly supports Sleep Mode ??

omg works! thanks so much. my $8 dollar ebay ake card works.

Can you point someone to exactly WHICH AKE card you bought. Seems a lot of the AKE 34mm ExpressCards today are using the FL1000 chipset, which wouldn't be compatible

with the LaCie driver ( which expects an

NEC 720200

chipset ).

Also, has anyone tried out this card:

http://www.siig.com/...esscard-34.html

It's based on the NEC 720200A

And, so no one picks up the wrong one, this one (uses an FL1000 chipset, which is a different chipset than the LaCie uses ), and so does this one.

Edited by marcelol

Hi all, long time no see!

Today I was trying to get my Startech express34 USB 3 card working with my newly purchased Sonnet Thunderbolt Express 34 adapter using the modbin patched PXCHD.kext. It was infuriatingly not working... the kext wouldn't load into extensions and the USB 3 highspeed driver would not show up until....

Through some searching I realized that kexts need to have an addition to their plists in order to enable Thunderbolt functionality, namely:

<key>IOPCITunnelCompatible</key>
<true/>

I added that to the plist, restarted, and voila I can now connect to the drive!

However, although the drive is recognized under SuperSpeed USB as PXCHD, it still shows up as a maximum of only 480 mb/s aka USB 2 speeds. I dont' know if this has anything to do with the modification I made but I would think it didn't. Anyone care to chime in?

w6utzt.png

I'm including the updated PXCHD for Thunderbolt connections if anyone wants to give it a shot/take a look at it.

http://www.mediafire...k02c2y2as5zvkz2

Thanks guys, enjoy!

Ok....so I purchased this, and the patched LaCie driver works with it....but the performance is HORRIBLE.

And why does the SuperSpeed Bus say it supports only up to 480Mbps....shouldn't it be saying something incredibly higher ???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Update: Aja Speed test with Seagate 1.5TB GoFlex portable drive shows

8MB/s write, 28MB/s read on the single port express card,

5.3 MB/s write, 20.7 MB/s readon a USB 2.0 port

By comparison, an IOMega FW800 500Gb drive shows

23.4 MB/s write

35.2 MB/s read

This was done with MacFuse 2.3/NTFS-3G (community edition)

This tells me that the express card interface is giving a little bump from USB 2.0, but not at all what I would've expected.

Given this, has anyone tried out with the CalDigit USB 3.0 Expresscard to see how much faster it might be ? Or with this ( modified IOUSBFamily/CalDigit drivers ) ??

Also, would using update IOUSBFamily drivers from here, help ?

Comparing with IOZone, it's clear that these generic NEC cards with the patched LaCie driver aren't anywhere near the speed of a FW800 drive. Can some of you report your performance numbers , please ?

Hey all,

It's been a while but there is a new issue with the USB 3.0 Lacie drivers. Basically they flood the system log with errors and bring the whole machine to a halt when they are used with the VLI810 hubs built in to many new boards. I noticed there is a new driver from Sonnet that they offer with their USB 3.0 add-on card (also NEC based). It seems to be based on the same driver as Lacie and even says in the description that it wont work with hubs on OS X but i still feel its worth a shot. The driver itself see,s to be a later release. The odd thing though is even though it has the same ioclass entry in plist as the lacie, while the lacie will load the sonnet driver never seems to load. Can someone take a look at this and see if they can edit the driver to load on generic hardware? I tried messing with plist definitions but that did not seem to help any.

Here is the link to the driver:

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.ph...mp;action=a3#a3

Many thanks,

g\

Firstly, thanks to Modbin and the people who tested out the patched driver. I have the Lacie USB3.0 express card in a MacPro 1,1 (late 2006), and the driver patch works great so far. The only thing I have to test it with is a Toshiba external usb3.0 drive, and I am getting 100MB/s speeds, compared to 36MB/s with USB2.0.

Unfortunately, I am getting the same sleep issues as other users. With or without the USB3.0 drive plugged into the computer, when I sleep the computer, the hard drives spin down, the display turns off, and it acts like it goes to sleep. But, the fans continue to spin at low rpm, and the computer never completely shuts off. It sure would be awesome if this problem could somehow be fixed without having to resort to unloading and reloading the kext every time I sleep my machine.

Though I am not a hugely knowledgeable programmer or anything, if I can help this effort by providing log files or anything else, let me know.

@Genzai: Has anyone gotten the Sonnet driver to work with a non-Sonnet Expresscard ( obviously, one with an NEC 720200 chipset ) ?

@badur: What filesystem was on your Toshiba USB 3.0 drive ? And if NTFS, WHICH drivers (Macfuse/NTFS-3G, or Paragon NTFS) were you using for your filesystem ?

Hi everybody,

i tried the patched kext on my NEC/renesas USB 3.0, when i reboot it shows me correctly the Super speed bus in System Information/ USB, but when i connect any device the OS freeze and i had to do a hard shut down holding down the power button. I tried to change also the ID device (mine is 1033-0194) in info.plst, but the result was i didn't see anymore ay superspeed bus in System Information.

Any idea?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm not a hackintosh wannabee, I just want to get my noname (NEC-based) expresscard 3.0 work in my MBP 3.1 (early 2008). That's for context ;-)

It seemed to me that the Caldigit route was the easiest since they released open source code of their driver etc but it seems that the forum has been quiet on this solution for a while now. People are focusing on LaCie, although a number of posts have reported stability issues with this driver.

So what is the current consensus on the most effective way to get USB 3 on Mac OS X (10.6.8, in my case) with vanilla hardware?

FYI I tried Andy VanDijck's solution based on CalDigit drivers but to no avail (now I can see that a manager is installed for the expresscard, but nothing happens when I insert a USB 3 key - should I also change an ID somewhere in Info.plist? --but I can't see that USB key in the system informations, even when plugged and operating on a 2.0 port). Right now I'm trying to understand whether I should continue messing up with the CalDigit version or switch to the LaCie solution.

Thanks for your input/help.

Petia

Has anyone encountered situations where the drive will randomly disconnect, and immediately reconnect ??

I'm on 10.7.3 ( upgraded from 10.6.8 -> 10.7.2, but it happened on SnowLeop and 10.7.2 as well ).

Using the LaCie 1.0.8 driver ( the hacked one found attached to this thread )

Seagate GoFlex 1.5Tb USB 3.0

And this NEC/Renesas Expresscard ( WITH the extra power from a USB 2.0 port ).

EDIT: I'm using Paragon NTFS 9.5.2

I have logs, but don't have a subscription so I can't upload, if someone wants to PM me, I can email the zip with the logs ( like 20Kb ).

The drive will also run for a while copying a large (50+GB) file, and then suddenly halt, disconnect, and then reconnect.

This behavior even happens when it's been sitting idle and you simply dbl-click on the drive icon to open finder.

• 1 month later...

This works for allowing charging with the StarTech.com 2 port flush mount expresscard/54 usb 3.0 card.

Model ecusb3s254f

I will have to check a usb drive, however I am not holding out hope as its failing to sync my iphone.

Hello, I alss bought an U3S6 card for my Asus A8N-SLI Premium which has a PCI-E x4-Port. The USB Super Speed Port is listed with the original drivers.

USB Super-Speed Bus:

Ort für Host-Controller: USB (Integriert)

Treiber für Host-Controller: PXHCD

PCI Geräte-ID: 0x0194

PCI Revisions-ID: 0x0003

PCI Hersteller-ID: 0x1033

Bus-Nummer: 0x00

USB devices work, though I cannot test USB 3 capability because I don't have USB 3 devices. The SATA6-Ports are also working out-of-the-box, though it's listed as 'Unknown AHCI SATA controller', and it's not noticeable faster, even with an SATA6 HD. It's also the first time the 'orange SATA icon' disappears on my system, so they're mounted as removable drives. Somewhere here must also be the fix for this, is it neccessary? Checking SMART status works and I also use custom icons, so it's no optical problem.

Even if the card seems to work on my system, is it possible got get a modified driver for 10.5? I'm still running my AMD systems, and there wasn't a real reason to renew them. Is there a driver for the Marvell 88SE9123 already? If not, plz keep Leopard compatibility.

Maybe you should add all working drivers in the first post, so it's easier to get them without reading the whole thread.

I'm having the same problem and I'm willing to test. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi everybody,

i tried the patched kext on my NEC/renesas USB 3.0, when i reboot it shows me correctly the Super speed bus in System Information/ USB, but when i connect any device the OS freeze and i had to do a hard shut down holding down the power button. I tried to change also the ID device (mine is 1033-0194) in info.plst, but the result was i didn't see anymore ay superspeed bus in System Information.

Any idea?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This is my first post.

I bought an AKE USB 3.0 ExpressCard either stupidly or optimistically expecting to work out of the box on my MacBook Pro 17 2009 but during the two weeks it took to arrive I discovered that not to be the case and found this thread.

In a nutshell, I installed the ExpressCard without any driver simply to see what the MBP made of it. Nothing, really. I attached a USB flash drive and the LED didn't even light.

I then worked my way through this thread again and installed the modified PXHCD.kext using Kext Wizard and rebooted. The LED on the USB flash drive now lights but it does not mount. The System Infomation utility says that the driver is installed:

ExpressCard:

Driver Installed: Yes

MSI: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: ExpressCard

Vendor ID: 0x1b21

Device ID: 0x1042

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x174c

Subsystem ID: 0x2104

Revision ID: 0x0000

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

I admit, I am a bit out of my depth but I'm pretty good at following processes. I know somebody managed to get the AKE ExpressCard working on a MBP (Fl0r!an). Can anybody nudge me in the right direction, please, before I put the AKE 23.0 ExpressCard on eBay?

Incidentally, I am not using my USB 3.0 WD Elements drive for the time being simply because it is less bother to use the flash drive and move around plus there is data on the WD drive I'd rather not put at risk until I know everything is working.

Hi,

This is my first post.

I bought an AKE USB 3.0 ExpressCard either stupidly or optimistically expecting to work out of the box on my MacBook Pro 17 2009 but during the two weeks it took to arrive I discovered that not to be the case and found this thread.

In a nutshell, I installed the ExpressCard without any driver simply to see what the MBP made of it. Nothing, really. I attached a USB flash drive and the LED didn't even light.

I then worked my way through this thread again and installed the modified PXHCD.kext using Kext Wizard and rebooted. The LED on the USB flash drive now lights but it does not mount. The System Infomation utility says that the driver is installed:

ExpressCard:

Driver Installed: Yes

MSI: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: ExpressCard

Vendor ID: 0x1b21

Device ID: 0x1042

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x174c

Subsystem ID: 0x2104

Revision ID: 0x0000

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

I admit, I am a bit out of my depth but I'm pretty good at following processes. I know somebody managed to get the AKE ExpressCard working on a MBP (Fl0r!an). Can anybody nudge me in the right direction, please, before I put the AKE 23.0 ExpressCard on eBay?

Incidentally, I am not using my USB 3.0 WD Elements drive for the time being simply because it is less bother to use the flash drive and move around plus there is data on the WD drive I'd rather not put at risk until I know everything is working.

Ok...here's the deal so far....

1. The following NEC /Renesas Expresscard/34's are the ones I've tried and tested under Snow Leopard/Lion and the hacked LaCie 1.0.8 PXHCD.kext.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140542958002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290576218769?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

2. For whatever reason..it can be a little touch and go for OSX to detect the drive, unless the expresscard, and drive are physically attached during boot-up.

Sometimes you can go through a cycle of disconnecting the drive, unmounting the Expresscard ( Remember to power down the card with the menu bar icon for the card ! ), and then connecting it back up carefully and inserting the card once more with the drive connected and powered from the bus.

3. After a little while of inactivity, you probably will get random disconnects from the drive, and Finder may get very unruly ( in extreme cases requiring a power cycle ). You should also go to system preferences and turn off drive inactivity sleeping.

4. Installing programs like SpinMyDisk, KeepDriveSpinning doesn't seem to alleviate the symptom very much either.

The ONE way I found that the drive will NOT disconnect was because I'm running Parallels and one of my virtual machines is actually ON the external USB 3.0 drive itself, and booting that virtual machine. So long as that VM is alive.....no disconnects. I'm not sure WHAT Parallels is doing to the normal hard disk controller drivers behavior, but it certainly keep the drive from disconnecting. Longest stint w/o reboot and no disconnects has been 3 weeks for me ( but then again, I had to power cycle because of an update ).

It has been noted in several places that external drives CAN randomly disconnect, and it happens with a variety of drives. There apparently is a bug in the IOUSBFamily driver stack that causes it ( or so the consensus in the Apple support posts I've scoured through is ). There hasn't been any formal recognition from Apple that there is a problem.

As with a lot of things.....YMMV ( Your Mileage May Vary ).

Just the same.......careful with plugging/unplugging the extra power cord to the expresscard, because those plugs are EXTREMELY fragile, I've come to find.

Thanks for the reply, marcelol.

I'm not sure how much it helps as the card I have is not one of the ones you linked.

This is the card I have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120838582483 - which I think is the same as the one Fl0r!an has.

Given that it only cost just over a fiver, I am tempted to hang onto it just in case a driver materialises.

The thing with yours is that it doesn't provide extra power that may be necessary for most of the USB 3.0 capable drives out there. The Expresscard port physically can't give you sufficient current to drive the HD's motor. Also, note that if the "SuperSpeed USB" entry shows up in your "About My Mac" system information, then the card is an NEC/Renesas chipset card, because it wouldn't otherwise show up ( there are other cards out there that use the FL1000 Fresco Logic chipset, and the LaCie driver would definitely NOT recognize those cards. ).

Well, as I mentioned, Fl0r!an posted that he had got it working on their MBP which is why I thought it would be possible. Plus, I have only tried it with a Transcend USB 2.0 stick which does not require additional power - and in fact the LED lit so it was getting some power from somewhere.

• Like 1

Well, as I mentioned, Fl0r!an posted that he had got it working on their MBP which is why I thought it would be possible. Plus, I have only tried it with a Transcend USB 2.0 stick which does not require additional power - and in fact the LED lit so it was getting some power from somewhere.

I know several people have this solution working on their MacBook Pro's ( After all, I'm one of them ), what I was saying is that your mileage may vary....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Few problems using this driver.

- when connecting drive, i need to wait around 10 sec to load after detection in system.

- usb drive needs around a minute to have max transfer starts at 1.5mb/s ?!

- coping from system drive to Usb drive is faster than from usb drive to system disk

- kernel_task load 100%

can anyone help me ?

setup:

- MacBookPro5,2

- Nec expresscard usb 3.0

- Arctic usb 3.0 case

- HDD Hitachi 500GB 5.400 (usb)

- SSD Sandisk 120GB (system)

- Drivers Modbin 1.0.8 (PXHCD)

- Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (32bit kernel)