• 171 posts
Good Job Andy Vandijck All Working here

Dr. Hurt

Dr. Hurt

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Interests:Wandering around on the internet!! Politics, Sci/Tech, Medicine.
Working fine here. Don't know if there is any speed improvement. But well done.

gu3d3s

gu3d3s

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Hi all,

Andy,fFirst I would like to congratulate the good work ..

Now you can modify this would be your bootloader so that it can read and do the boot via EFI partition (the method Munky), I ask because in this way even to make the Boot as the DVD retail it would be possible without the need if we have to use a CD to boot.

BTW? i try all 2 vs of download, but all time i have macbook5,1 in ioregexplorer, if i use MacPro build the correct one not would not be to show MacProX,X

grateful

speedracer67

speedracer67

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Also its so funny to me, why noone bashes the great Netkas, he's pcefiV9 its based on Chameleon Efi, and it doesnt says anything about Chameleon in its name.

Rubbish. Netkas' pcefiv9 bootloader still says 'Chameleon' on the bootloader screen. I don't think you should get to re-brand a product as your own just because you tweak it a little. Open source means you can improve upon something, but you still have to give the proper credit. Now, to Andy's credit, he gives credit in the thread, but I think he needs to give attribution to the Chameleon project on the boot screen.

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Well it does not support custom boot logo.
It does not support /Extra (need patches).
It does support DSDT override.
It has everything set up like a real Mac EFI booter (except EFI32).
It does not support boot camp.
It boots faster than regular Chameleon.
It has optimized, and perfected code.

As for the retagging guy:
Try to make all the stuff I've made, examine my work, it's more than retagging believe me.

Install instructions:
put files on USB stick, keep it plugged in.
boot from Mac install disk.
open Disk Utility
right click on your disk - get info.
Write down the disk /dev/diskXsY linkage.
close Disk Utility.
Open Terminal.
cd /Volumes/<USB Stick>
cp boot /Volumes/<Mac Disk>
umount /Volumes/<Mac Disk>
./fdisk -u -y -f boot0 /dev/diskX
umount /Volumes/<Mac Disk>
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/diskXsY
./startupfiletool /dev/diskXsY boot

You're done, reboot...

Thanks! Works fine.
The second umount was not possible, had to do it with disk utility!

pitap

pitap

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Rubbish. Netkas' pcefiv9 bootloader still says 'Chameleon' on the bootloader screen. I don't think you should get to re-brand a product as your own just because you tweak it a little. Open source means you can improve upon something, but you still have to give the proper credit. Now, to Andy's credit, he gives credit in the thread, but I think he needs to give attribution to the Chameleon project on the boot screen.

If this stop people from bitchin, i say its a fair thing to do to show Chameleon on the bootload screen

Bimmer

Bimmer

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Great Work!!!!

Installed successfully, this is the first time I can enable Hyper-threading for my CPU!!!

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts
Q: I am a bit confused and waited for install because:
1. Is it possible to copy only the boot file to my / folder, like i did with boot (chameleon with dsdt) ?
Or must i really use that dd ... and startupfile commands to put also bootxy on the HD ?

If yes, would be fine if someone could patch the chameleon.pkg (Installer is great , only select the volume, pkg makes the rest). Its available at chameleon site.
I looked in the pkg but not really expierienced to do the changes.

THANKS

geminimac

geminimac

Italian Staff Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

just like the topic says, my very own bootloader.
If you guys would like, I can also give a startupfiletool + source, let me know.
It supports also DSDT override.
If you guys have more patches for me, give them...
This is a work in progress, still need to add a lot of Apple stuff.
As for now... enjoy...
Edit: new release, is now just like a real Mac(Book)Pro.
As for credits, I do acknowledge it is based on Chameleon, but so does Netkas...
I did change a lot, improved the code to perfection, builds without warning, am releasing sources, the Chameleon guys may take my code if they wish, I don't mind...
In any case, enjoy my next (and probably last) bootloader release.

hi Andy,

I tested this method whit my configuration hack...don't work :censored2:
stopped here: ALF_ALERT.......
is it compatible with Retail-boot 132 chameleon?

thanks

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,953 posts
Andy!
I'm waiting you create something really new instead of improving/repeating alien achievements.

As I remember the primary idea of EFI on PC comes from Netkas but not chameleon group.

I want to see a solution like RadeonEFI that can tune up video card before other drivers loaded. Something more then gfx-string.

camouflageX

camouflageX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hey Andy,

thanks for that great release. Can you please add the "Efi partition scan & kext load" feature? Information and sources can be found here: http://forum.insanel...howtopic=127330

That would be great! Looking forward to the next versions. Thanks. :)

zef

zef

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired Developers
  • 152 posts

As I remember the primary idea of EFI on PC comes from Netkas but not chameleon group.

You remeber terribly wrong. The fake EFI implementation is David Elliott's work, netkas just grabbed his sources, added device-properties support, GPT partitioned disk support, then he called it as PC_EFI :( Chameleon is also based on dfe's work, but such improvements on boot1h to able to use /boot in your root folder is totally written from scratch. And there's more coming...

PolishOX

PolishOX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
@ this point and most likely from here on out...everyone wishes you luck along with all your fanboys.

No more negative emotions of sentiments will be found here by anyone in the development camp and the devs should return underground.

Good Luck, anv.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...
OK guys, give me a bit of time I'll post updates soon...

relikwie

relikwie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

And there's more coming...

Looking forward for it...

MacNutty

MacNutty

Mad for Mac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
Thanks Andy, its working here. I just want to know how to check whether my DSDT.aml file, which is on my / is working or not. Because I want to update to 10.5.6 and I don't want to screwup my hack.

I would also like to say, that don't bother about the negative inputs people are giving, just continue your good work as there is a saying that you should have foes beside you, they always inspire you more.

Please do reply to my question, Thanks again.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts

OK guys, give me a bit of time I'll post updates soon...

Thanks !
But please ANDY tell me ( i asked some posts above) if i can copy only the boot file (of your files) into / to overwrite my chameleon with dsdt boot ?
I have installed chameleon with dsdt already (using only the boot file) over chameleon v11 (which alreadx installed that bootxy files)
Or do i must dd and startupfile commands to to overwrite that bootxy files also ?

^_^

^_^

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Thanks! More fun times! good times! ;)

zef

zef

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired Developers
  • 152 posts

Thanks !
But please ANDY tell me ( i asked some posts above) if i can copy only the boot file (of your files) into / to overwrite my chameleon with dsdt boot ?
I have installed chameleon with dsdt already (using only the boot file) over chameleon v11 (which alreadx installed that bootxy files)
Or do i must dd and startupfile commands to to overwrite that bootxy files also ?

Forget startupfile, and put your boot into your root folder where boot1h got dd'ed to. The startupfile loading method won't be supported with next versions of boot1h, but can load 64k+ boot files in advance.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts

Forget startupfile, and put your boot into your root folder where boot1h got dd'ed to. The startupfile loading method won't be supported with next versions of boot1h, but can load 64k+ boot files in advance.

Thanks - i did think same, but wanted to know it from an professional to avoid problems :P
So i can now test it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy