AnV Chameleon boot loader

Andy Vandijck

136 posts in this topic

just like the topic says, my very own bootloader.

If you guys would like, I can also give a startupfiletool + source, let me know.

It supports also DSDT override.

NEW: It now support SSDT(s) override AND loading from /Extra/Extensions

If you guys have more patches for me, give them...

This is a work in progress, still need to add a lot of Apple stuff.

As for now... enjoy...

Edit: new release, is now just like a real Mac(Book)Pro.

As for credits, I do acknowledge it is based on Chameleon, but so does Netkas...

I did change a lot, improved the code to perfection, builds without warning, am releasing sources, the Chameleon guys may take my code if they wish, I don't mind...

In any case, enjoy my next (and probably last) bootloader release... LOL it wasn't the last...

startupfiletool_AnV.zip

AnV_Boot_1.0.12_MacBookPro.zip

AnV_Boot_1.0.12_MacPro.zip

AnV_Boot_1.0.12_src.zip

Well... I would think it is an updated version of chameleon.... Actually I know it is because I'm using it right now... It seems to work pretty good.... Only thing I had to move my extensions from the extra folder to the default extensions folder. That's ok... Although I did notice boot up time was a little faster using the extra/extensions method... But this is suppose to be closer to a real mac... which makes sense by having them in the default dir....

just like the topic says, my very own bootloader.

As for now... enjoy...

Dear Andy Vandijck,

please add an readme to your stuff, even you are within the furter dev of that thing.

You can easy mark planned but not implemented features somehow.

The readme in the source.zipd seems NOT to show any +features or other things like chameleon for me.

So whats the main difference to the available "Chameleon with DSDT overwrite support", which i use already ?

( For people which ??? DSDT overwrite : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757 )

Thanks !!!

I downloaded this and installed it to find that to my dismay the startup screen has been retagged as AnV Software bootloader instead of Chameleon, I think it is important that Chameleon be acknowledged for what it is: a great TEAM effort. This is another variant of chameleon (not bad in itself) that adds another feature that I hope finds it's way into the next official release. I think that the 1.0.12 tag should be reserved for the next official release and this alone. I don't like the idea of someone renaming and taking ownership of it, especially as there's no acknowledgement of the many who have made Chameleon what it is today:- a great piece of open source software.

Right, that's my moan out of the way...

As to answer questions, it is really almost just like the EFI64 of Apple (BootX).

Like I said, take my code it is public effort (I'm a bit like Netkas, I made this one for real, I take credits for this one but do acknownledge the great effort done by the Chameleon guys...).

But try my new release, you'll like it...

I've done tests, compared with real Mac(Book)Pro EFI entries, it's more complete now...

As for the plus features, it's an updated version, perfect code build (with -Werror on everything) which behaves just like the real Mac EFI bootloader.

I've also put a lot of time in this, done tests, and approved...

By the way, did you know Chameleon is based on boot-122 of Apple?

I diffed them against each other and they are almost identical except code improvements and Fake EFI...

If you want to know the difference: install xcode, use IORegistryExplorer, device entries, efi, check there, you'll know then...

OK, so what advantages does this give over PC EFI v9 or chameleon? What features does it support/not support? By the way, I'm not attacking or anything. I just don't get this is? Sorry!

Well it does not support custom boot logo.

It does not support /Extra (need patches).

It does support DSDT override.

It has everything set up like a real Mac EFI booter (except EFI32).

It does not support boot camp.

It boots faster than regular Chameleon.

It has optimized, and perfected code.

As for the retagging guy:

Try to make all the stuff I've made, examine my work, it's more than retagging believe me.

Install instructions:

put files on USB stick, keep it plugged in.

boot from Mac install disk.

open Disk Utility

right click on your disk - get info.

Write down the disk /dev/diskXsY linkage.

close Disk Utility.

Open Terminal.

cd /Volumes/<USB Stick>

cp boot /Volumes/<Mac Disk>

umount /Volumes/<Mac Disk>

./fdisk -u -y -f boot0 /dev/diskX

umount /Volumes/<Mac Disk>

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/diskXsY

./startupfiletool /dev/diskXsY boot

You're done, reboot...

I'll try this when I get home.

<dutch>Bedankt voor al de moeite die ge doet :) </dutch>

<dutch>Geen probleem, graag gedaan, de Belgen helpen ook graag mee :)</dutch>

Well it does not support custom boot logo.

It does not support /Extra (need patches).

It does support DSDT override.

It has everything set up like a real Mac EFI booter (except EFI32).

It does not support boot camp.

It boots faster than regular Chameleon.

It has optimized, and perfected code.

As for the retagging guy:

Try to make all the stuff I've made, examine my work, it's more than retagging believe me.

Install instructions:

put files on USB stick, keep it plugged in.

boot from Mac install disk.

open Disk Utility

right click on your disk - get info.

Write down the disk /dev/diskXsY linkage.

close Disk Utility.

Open Terminal.

cd /Volumes/

cp boot /Volumes/

umount /Volumes/

./fdisk -u -y -f boot0 /dev/diskX

umount /Volumes/

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/diskXsY

./startupfiletool /dev/diskXsY boot

You're done, reboot...

THANKS !!!

Q: When i used the new chameleon with dsdt support, i only had to copy (drag&Drop with finder) the boot to the / folder.

Do i really need to do writing (by dd )also the other files on disk ? ( boot1h,booth0)

Hey Andy,

since a while, you are seeling beef from others, in another envelope

pretending to be the great butcher.

I think that it's a bit unfair from you to say such a thing , he has been doing his patches and sharing with the community and it's not like he doesn't give credits to others , if he was a stealer he would nam this "Andy's bootloader supreme" and nothing about chameleon .

Andy thanks for the work you have been doing lately with all the patches etc , maybe alot of people don't take your work too seriously but i do

What have you done to help the osx project and the community westwarts ? nothing ? yeah thought so too ...

The name of Chameleon belongs to the team of people who developed it...

He shouldn't name it AnV Chameleon...in fact he shouldn't have used Chameleon without at least some approval ahead of time...

The ONLY reason he released this is for himself and the ONLY reason he used the name CHAMELEON is for popularity...not credit...

Way to go though...let's see how well you do at supporting "your creation" when people start breaking their installs and crashing hdds...

Besides, the REAL CHAMELEON is coming in a short time and will PWN the {censored} out of this release...