AnV Chameleon boot loader

Andy Vandijck

136 posts in this topic

The name of Chameleon belongs to the team of people who developed it...

Besides, the REAL CHAMELEON is coming in a short time and will PWN the {censored} out of this release...

Sorry, but THAT REAL C.... team does nothing with their homepage !!!

Since weeks they say "upcoming...." thats all and REAL {censored} if they didnt feed the homepage with some informations

like the great voodoo team does / had done at the way to realese version!

Maybe they are great devs but have an dumb realationship view of sight.

For me it doesnt matter if Andy uses that name CHAMELEON. So every osx86 fan knows what it does.

If the chameleon team dont want to share the name they will tell him that.

Since weeks they say "upcoming...." thats all and REAL {censored} if they didnt feed the homepage with some informations

For me it doesnt matter if Andy uses that name CHAMELEON. So every osx86 fan knows what it does.

If the chameleon team dont want to share the name they will tell him that.

The comment you made regarding the Chameleon team is really insulting. You might not believe it, but the Chameleon team is the same as the Voodoo team. Every person who has worked on Voodoo is now working on Chameleon (plus we have extra developers). Once Voodoo was released we have shifted our focus across to Chameleon and I will tell you there has been huge changes to the code.

Every other bootloader out there has had their changes merged into Chameleon now and we have a number of features no other bootloader has. It is the only bootloader that has broken the 64k barrier which has allowed so many new features to be added. I don't want to spoil the surprise but when we are ready it will be obvious to the community why Chameleon is the only one worth using.

We are attempting to unify the community behind just one version as there has been too many forks of the original boot-132. So while we appreciate other people developing their own versions it would be more worthwhile to put development efforts behind one version. While we appreciate source code being released it just means more time is needed to merge changes (zef has become an expert code merger over the last few weeks).

So while there hasn't been an update on the Chameleon website, I can say development has been going at a frantic pace (far faster than Voodoo ever had).

@mich_de:

Chameleon devs do not have to keep us informed in any way, they do what they like and do that for free, thats more than anyone could have wished for.

I personally would like see them coding awesome code instead of maintaining a website, they have no time for - simply put.

And I somehow know they are working very hard to do the next feature rich release. Thumbs up for all involved!

And for Andy, he can take the code, twist it, shake it and do with it whatever he likes as long as he obeys the license (if released under any).

Thats the spirit of open source, don't like then fork, like it and want to contiribute then join. Hopefully and if Andy is skilled as he claims to be

I hope he'll join, cleaning and optimizing code is needed too.

Andy, maybe you can visit IRC someday :D

Lol, its so funny how people start fighting by things like this. First of all, he's not stealing anything, by "open source" they mean, its open to public, so public can make whatever they want and release its own software (bootloader in this case). He actually wrote Chameleon in the topic so I do think its fair enough.

Also its so funny to me, why noone bashes the great Netkas, he's pcefiV9 its based on Chameleon Efi, and it doesnt says anything about Chameleon in its name. Just because Andy is not known as much as Netkas doesnt mean you can bash him down. And to finish Andy has released a lot of patches that may had helped a lot of people, why cant you just download the diff if you want it and enjoy it!

In the other side I do think all they dev's should support each other to make the BEST thing (could be bootloader/kext/etc) instead of doing like 5 different ones, but hey thats their problem.

Anyway! Thanks for the release andy! Greets!

=)

edit: Oh so I forgot to ask, so what's exactly the Apple ID? Thanks

I have respekt to all free devs here. But i make an difference between onemanshows without own website and dev teams with website. Every dev is welcome to use open source code and give advantages back. Thats my opinion.

And that doesnt matter if this advantage comes from heros or nobodys.

Thx for your honest feedback!

Peace,

zef

Wow people. I can't believe what I'm seeing here. AnV is a great dev, he has made some great stuff and he deserves respect for using his time to help us. If everyone had this attitude that only official dvelopers could make a good Chameleon, we would have never seen chameleon with dsdt, PC EFI v9 or any of that. It's time to grow up. If you can't do any better then don't put down people who try

Wow people. I can't believe what I'm seeing here. AnV is a great dev, he has made some great stuff and he deserves respect for using his time to help us. If everyone had this attitude that only official dvelopers could make a good Chameleon, we would have never seen chameleon with dsdt, PC EFI v9 or any of that. It's time to grow up. If you can't do any better then don't put down people who try

Thanks pcwiz.

LIKE I SAID, TAKE THE CODE IF YOU WISH, IT'S FREE.

It's not like I'm holding anything back or anything, quite the contrary...

As for the patches, give me links, I'll add them and post everything.

As for all the negative guys: get a life dudes, I'm making this stuff for all you guys and this is my thanks?

I DO GIVE CREDIT TO THE CHAMELEON GUYS, SO DOES NETKAS...

With that I want to end this major squabble, it's worthless and a useless waste of time if you ask me, I like to do some usefull stuff rather than arguing over every little thing.

And what is that Apple ID? Vendor=Apple, model entries, etc...

They are even used by Apple on real EFI64 BootX, fed into mach_kernel + AppleSMBIOS + AppleACPIPlatform for Mac determination.

I do also want to give a little hint to the Chameleon guys though.

Check everything that warns, compare with my files.

Also look at fake_efi.c, thats where you'll find the changes into the EFI parts, like a real Apple Macintosh.

That should make code merging a bit easier...

The name of Chameleon belongs to the team of people who developed it...

He shouldn't name it AnV Chameleon...in fact he shouldn't have used Chameleon without at least some approval ahead of time...

The ONLY reason he released this is for himself and the ONLY reason he used the name CHAMELEON is for popularity...not credit...

Way to go though...let's see how well you do at supporting "your creation" when people start breaking their installs and crashing hdds...

Besides, the REAL CHAMELEON is coming in a short time and will PWN the {censored} out of this release...

Crashing HDDs?

LOL that's really funny dude.

I've tested this THOROUGHLY first myself, then my friend and THEN many others.

It's been tested on a variety of hardware, and it works fine.

As for the code base: It's Chameleon optimized, what am I supposed to say? <sarcastic>OH, I just happened to make one from scratch?</sarcastic>

I don't do that...

I'm fair with my stuff, and I think thats enough.

If you are so sceptic, check it for yourself or haven't you noticed full source is posted?

diff it against regular chameleon with DSDT override patch applied, then you'll know the difference...

Guys can you please STOP!

Use your time to develop something instead arguing... :wallbash:

@ Andy, any new "brain" that works for 0sx86 is more then welcome :angel:

Do your stuff but take care on renaming stuff some may be pissed of that...its just politics nothing more :angel:

Make your changes, add a diff and all will be happy, and for sure you will get credits for your work, or more simple join the team.

Keep up the good work!

Hi all,

Andy,fFirst I would like to congratulate the good work ..

Now you can modify this would be your bootloader so that it can read and do the boot via EFI partition (the method Munky), I ask because in this way even to make the Boot as the DVD retail it would be possible without the need if we have to use a CD to boot.

BTW? i try all 2 vs of download, but all time i have macbook5,1 in ioregexplorer, if i use MacPro build the correct one not would not be to show MacProX,X

grateful

Also its so funny to me, why noone bashes the great Netkas, he's pcefiV9 its based on Chameleon Efi, and it doesnt says anything about Chameleon in its name.

Rubbish. Netkas' pcefiv9 bootloader still says 'Chameleon' on the bootloader screen. I don't think you should get to re-brand a product as your own just because you tweak it a little. Open source means you can improve upon something, but you still have to give the proper credit. Now, to Andy's credit, he gives credit in the thread, but I think he needs to give attribution to the Chameleon project on the boot screen.

Well it does not support custom boot logo.

It does not support /Extra (need patches).

It does support DSDT override.

It has everything set up like a real Mac EFI booter (except EFI32).

It does not support boot camp.

It boots faster than regular Chameleon.

It has optimized, and perfected code.

As for the retagging guy:

Try to make all the stuff I've made, examine my work, it's more than retagging believe me.

Install instructions:

put files on USB stick, keep it plugged in.

boot from Mac install disk.

open Disk Utility

right click on your disk - get info.

Write down the disk /dev/diskXsY linkage.

close Disk Utility.

Open Terminal.

cd /Volumes/<USB Stick>

cp boot /Volumes/<Mac Disk>

umount /Volumes/<Mac Disk>

./fdisk -u -y -f boot0 /dev/diskX

umount /Volumes/<Mac Disk>

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/diskXsY

./startupfiletool /dev/diskXsY boot

You're done, reboot...

Thanks! Works fine.

The second umount was not possible, had to do it with disk utility!

Rubbish. Netkas' pcefiv9 bootloader still says 'Chameleon' on the bootloader screen. I don't think you should get to re-brand a product as your own just because you tweak it a little. Open source means you can improve upon something, but you still have to give the proper credit. Now, to Andy's credit, he gives credit in the thread, but I think he needs to give attribution to the Chameleon project on the boot screen.

If this stop people from bitchin, i say its a fair thing to do to show Chameleon on the bootload screen

Q: I am a bit confused and waited for install because:

1. Is it possible to copy only the boot file to my / folder, like i did with boot (chameleon with dsdt) ?

Or must i really use that dd ... and startupfile commands to put also bootxy on the HD ?

If yes, would be fine if someone could patch the chameleon.pkg (Installer is great , only select the volume, pkg makes the rest). Its available at chameleon site.

I looked in the pkg but not really expierienced to do the changes.

THANKS

just like the topic says, my very own bootloader.

If you guys would like, I can also give a startupfiletool + source, let me know.

It supports also DSDT override.

If you guys have more patches for me, give them...

This is a work in progress, still need to add a lot of Apple stuff.

As for now... enjoy...

Edit: new release, is now just like a real Mac(Book)Pro.

As for credits, I do acknowledge it is based on Chameleon, but so does Netkas...

I did change a lot, improved the code to perfection, builds without warning, am releasing sources, the Chameleon guys may take my code if they wish, I don't mind...

In any case, enjoy my next (and probably last) bootloader release.

hi Andy,

I tested this method whit my configuration hack...don't work :censored2:

stopped here: ALF_ALERT.......

is it compatible with Retail-boot 132 chameleon?

thanks

Andy!

I'm waiting you create something really new instead of improving/repeating alien achievements.

As I remember the primary idea of EFI on PC comes from Netkas but not chameleon group.

I want to see a solution like RadeonEFI that can tune up video card before other drivers loaded. Something more then gfx-string.