Nforce Chipsets: How to install Leo easy and fast with iAtkos v1.0i r3 - NForce Edition or Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

 Mysticus C*

1,957 posts in this topic

Could someone point me to the fix for the really, really long boot time after the 10.5.2 update. It's getting really, really annoying. Also I'm getting a lot more panics with the Golden Kernel after the upgrade, so bad in fact that I've gone back to cpus=1, any recommendations for a better kernel?

Thanks

Hi

Has anyone actually patched R3 to 10.5.2?

The EqUaTe patch is the only one that works on my motherboard, but I'm hoping 10.5.2 will sort out my 8800GT & 8600GTS gfx cards. I installed the patch as per this guide and installed no drivers in the setup.

I have tried a few times using this guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87078 but without success.

I am moving AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext back from my backup - is there anything else unique to the R3 install that I should be moving back as well?

I get an instant reboot about 5 or 6 lines into the text after booting. Nothing I can do will get me in. I tried most fixes mentioned in the thread with no luck and replacing kext's back using macdisk from within my XP results in macdisk crashes which tend to bugger the install up so I am reinstalling after every try at the mo =]

thanks

Spotta

Could someone point me to the fix for the really, really long boot time after the 10.5.2 update. It's getting really, really annoying. Also I'm getting a lot more panics with the Golden Kernel after the upgrade, so bad in fact that I've gone back to cpus=1, any recommendations for a better kernel?

Thanks

DID YOU READ THE POST #2 AT ALL? UNTIL YOU DO, YOU WILL NOT FIND ANY ANSWER...

Hi

Has anyone actually patched R3 to 10.5.2?

The EqUaTe patch is the only one that works on my motherboard, but I'm hoping 10.5.2 will sort out my 8800GT & 8600GTS gfx cards. I installed the patch as per this guide and installed no drivers in the setup.

I have tried a few times using this guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87078 but without success.

I am moving AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext back from my backup - is there anything else unique to the R3 install that I should be moving back as well?

I get an instant reboot about 5 or 6 lines into the text after booting. Nothing I can do will get me in. I tried most fixes mentioned in the thread with no luck and replacing kext's back using macdisk from within my XP results in macdisk crashes which tend to bugger the install up so I am reinstalling after every try at the mo =]

read page #5 ,post #95

instant reboot is a sign of wrong kernel!

DID YOU READ THE POST #2 AT ALL? UNTIL YOU DO, YOU WILL NOT FIND ANY ANSWER...

Post #2 mentions nothing about update the 10.5.2 or the long boot time problem. If you don't want to help, fine, just say so, stop being the "forum police" yelling at everybody. I'll find my answer elsewhere.

read page #5 ,post #95

instant reboot is a sign of wrong kernel!

Hi

I have been reading this thread for the last 2 days before posting! and have not got much real work done :)

I've read Page5 post #95 - but I'm not sure I follow.

I didn't download via software update, I used the file in the guide.

or are you saying that I should get the graphics update only? -This does not show up in my software update.

are or you trying to say that the R3 patch cannot be updated to 10.5.2 yet?

I'm not sure exactly how page5 post#95 applies to me....

Spotta

Post #2 mentions nothing about update the 10.5.2 or the long boot time problem. If you don't want to help, fine, just say so, stop being the "forum police" yelling at everybody. I'll find my answer elsewhere.

He is talking about making a hardware profile in you forum signature how hard is that? You need glasses or contacts my friend..

He is talking about making a hardware profile in you forum signature how hard is that? You need glasses or contacts my friend..

What, like yours you mean? :thumbsdown_anim: I posted on the nForce thread, which should have been a clue I have an nForce chipset. Anyway, thanks to scottishduck I have a link to a solution and it didn't come dripping in sarcasm or witless comments about my eyesight.

post #104

To muitommy and all other who doesnt know what to do after kalyway update... read below

Download This

these are the needed driver files to be replaced after kalyway update / or original 10.5.2 update...

for kalyway, you only need to replace system.kext from those files...

if kalyways smbios doesnt work for you, grab netkas's smbios... from netkas.org

and

download kernel

this is the kernel needs to be replaced...

after replacing the files dont forget to fix permissions

and at reboot, use f8 and -v -f flags...

Is this what you mean - are these the files I need to replace to get R3 working after 10.5.2 update?

Can I add all these using kext helper?

Spotta

post #104

Is this what you mean - are these the files I need to replace to get R3 working after 10.5.2 update?

Can I add all these using kext helper?

Spotta

Yes these are the files you need to replace... if you didnt use kalyway...

if you used kalyway, than all you need is kernel and the system.kext from the kalyways back up folder..

@max711: we do not help people by guessing the clues, solid information is needed... this is not a guess work... and if you dont understand the message in the post, you cant expect help clearly... also if you are not noob, you wouldnt post here if you didnt have nforce mobo... that is not the problem... what the problem is noone knows what configuration you are running, maybe raid? maybe amd cpu? maybe something else that wouldnt work... if you dont write your profile, people will have to ask for it, which is a waste of time, and not handy as to answer a question, we have to scroll back and forth to remember what you had before?... nah, if this is not clear enough, you need more than glasses...

@scotch wisky: thanx for the info, but it doesnt solve all the slow boot problems, some of the slow boots are caused by ata drivers...

@devinkray: like i said many times in my posts, noobs wants to stay noobs, they refuse to understand a simple fact, so dont try harder mate... noobs expect others to know what they have by heart and answer them immidiately! bcoz what we are for them is servants mediums and personal customer service agents... i placed the note specially in big size! people still ignore them...

good luck everyone...

Yes these are the files you need to replace... if you didnt use kalyway...

if you used kalyway, than all you need is kernel and the system.kext from the kalyways back up folder..

I didn't use kalyway to originally install - I used iAtkos R3 - hence posting in this, the iAtkos R3 thread.

or do you mean kalyway as in the kalyway combo update to update to 10.5.2 - very confusing!

Spotta

I didn't use kalyway to originally install - I used iAtkos R3 - hence posting in this, the iAtkos R3 thread.

or do you mean kalyway as in the kalyway combo update to update to 10.5.2 - very confusing!

Spotta

yes it is the kalyway combo update 10.5.2!!!

kalyway combo update is update package!!! it is not the 10.5.2 installer dvd!!! in the package all the changes are made so you dont need to wressle with intelcpupowermanagement and other stuffs... read post #92, all the information is there already...

to make it more clear, as you are a bit confused or dont understand the concept:

you are using r3 correct: it includes 10.5.1 system... you want to update to 10.5.2... the least hassle way to update as some people are very disabled to read and follow instructions, is to use KALYWAY COMBO UPDATE PACKAGE 10.5.2!!! so at the very end... all you need to do is replace kernel with either toh version or one of the kabyl's one... and system.kext from the back up folder of kalyway... pls dont ask what is bakup folder... bcoz you will not understand untill you have the update packages... update package has the backup folder... you will see...

if it is still not clear enough.... you either making fun around here, or you are seriously noob... because post #92 clearly states everything...

once you update to 10.5.2 successfully, you will restart and update will also at first boot restart again once more... than check your profiler, and see if it s 10.5.2 ?... ok? and than your software update system will show the graphics update...

good luck....

Again "still waiting for root device" and SAM MEDIA READ / WRITE failed. Sadly i've got only sata drives. Moved the DVD-Rom to Channel 1 and the Hdd to Channel 2 but that didn't fix anything. Tried also the other way round. Don't really know where i could get a pata drive but with uphuck i managed to install with my dvd-writer but got stuck at keyboard selection. ;-( seems hopeless.

Mainboard: P5n32-E SLI (680i)

CPU: Q6600

Ram: 4x Corsair 1gb

GPU: 8800 GTS 512

Samsung SATA DVDRW

Raptor SATA HDD

Seagate SATA HDD

Edit: Reached Installation with Uphuck 1.4.9 R3 again, but i will quit again because i dont know if i can upgrade to leopard with iAtkos and i am afraid of keyboard selection bug.

if it is still not clear enough.... you either making fun around here, or you are seriously noob... because post #92 clearly states everything...

Just new to OSX, I have sucessfully installed, got other drivers working, recovered from kps on boot after failed updates using terminal and learnt a lot about OSX in the last few days.

But there is an awful lot of posts on here to take in and sometimes you miss a vital piece of information.

i may be a newbie with OSX, but I want to learn and try not to ask lots of silly questions but crack on and find out the answer myself.

Sometimes though you just need a lil' bit of help.

I'll let you know how it goes

Spotta

Hi

I followed post#92 to the letter only replacing system.kext and replacing the mach_kernel with the one provided with the link.

I have managed to boot once using -v -r -x and after a bit of a wait it got there - About this mac said 10.5.2.

Once it nearly got there with no flags.

It mainly stops at AppleNForceATA: sata phy reset done.

No KPs - but still a slight problem so i'd call it a semi success - I'll continue reading a bit more and see if I can iron out the bugs =]

Spotta

report:sleep function works finally and flawlessly with the new netkas sleep kernel , cheers!!

@mysticus

i replace the kext that you have given in "needed_files", but still got unknown for cpu section in about this mac, is there something i missed? :)

Again "still waiting for root device" and SAM MEDIA READ / WRITE failed. Sadly i've got only sata drives. Moved the DVD-Rom to Channel 1 and the Hdd to Channel 2 but that didn't fix anything. Tried also the other way round. Don't really know where i could get a pata drive but with uphuck i managed to install with my dvd-writer but got stuck at keyboard selection. ;-( seems hopeless.

Mainboard: Asus P5n32-E SLI (680i)

CPU: Q6600

Ram: 4x Corsair 1gb

GPU: 8800 GTS 512

Samsung SATA DVDRW

Raptor SATA HDD 75GB

Seagate SATA HDD Barracuda ES 400gb

Edit: Reached Installation with Uphuck 1.4.9 R3 again, but i will quit again because i dont know if i can upgrade to leopard with iAtkos and i am afraid of keyboard selection bug.

Now i flashed my Bios to newest version and the firmware of the samsung dvd-writer too. No change ;-(

@Mysticus

Hope you can help. I didn't use the bad bios patch yet. Could this help or is just a waste of another DVD? Would be about the 10th i think.

@mui: it may have related to smbios file, mine shows unknown as well if you check my screen cap... but thats not a problem you can change that information manualy if u like... also thanx for the heads up for kernel, i d/l it as well didnt have time to try it yet...

@DvP: your issue is not bad bios... your issue can be one of the following reasons:

1-) fast dvd burning... you have to use slow speed for burning iso = (4x or less)

2-) nforce ata driver has known problems with some drives... there is a new test driver from MeDevil, you can try it if you like but you must do the installation as explained on the bottom first and than replace your applenforceata driver from the medevil's page (check my post #2 at the very bottom I pointed link to medevil's page):

3-) your sata drive port is in ide function level not AHCI??? you have to set it AHCI if you have any choice... since you have my mobo, i know that there is no choice for that so... eliminated

To Do the Install, You must Try this (...as in my guide i stated some sata drives are not compatible due to chipset and nforce ata incompatibility...)

Short Way: Grab a PATA DVD drive from your friend's computer if u dont have one...

Long Way: Get a SATA USB enclosure for your DVD drive and try booting from it, (dont forget to set your usb dvd's boot priority from bios)

Note: Also please make a hardware profile signature!!! I m getting annoyed of asking everyone... In couple of posts your information will be left behind and diffucult to remember everything, and annoying to go back and forth for finding information...

Note2: Hmm I m confused a bit, you can get to install screen? or not? if you can (ignore the above suggestion about nforce ata), keyboard bug is not a trouble, and u can get ps/2 usb converter or usb keyboard... updating is not an issue, but what you say is wrong, you are not updating to Leopard, iatkos is just the name for project, it is leopard already, what you say is being able update leopard! which time to time will come and i will help here as much as i can... i already explained updating to 10.5.2...

Good Luck

Ok thanks for your answer.

1. You understood something wrong! I took my Uphuck 1.4.9 R3 (Tiger) DVD again and with it i reached the Installation Menue. I ment if i could update from Uphuck tiger to iAtkos Leopard. Btw my keyboard problem was not solveable either with USB or PS2 Keyboards!

2. I burned 4x and verified the DVD. Working perfect as always - never destroyed a DVD with these settings. Burning now 1X to erase all possibillities.

3. Will try to get a PATA DVD-Drive but then the SATA HDD wont work, bad luck as always. Hoping anyway.

4. Made a signature with my PCs profile but it isn't shown. No idea why. I read that you are annoyed already because lots of people didnt post the facts. ;-)

THANKs!

@mui: it may have related to smbios file, mine shows unknown as well if you check my screen cap... but thats not a problem you can change that information manualy if u like... also thanx for the heads up for kernel, i d/l it as well didnt have time to try it yet...

last time i saw your cap showing correct cpu info and you said you're using kalyway's smbios, am i right?

btw, how could i change it manually, just give me some hints and i would help myself (can't find after gg-ing:)

thus, one more notes: i used a "ping widget" now, and that my system seems get rid of the network drop (rtl8139) for a few hours, work also after wake up. i haven't tried large workflow of my connections yet, but at least work quite well if i just surf the net without downloading much :P

-------edited--- that ping widget doesn't help... but i can restore my network by doing a sleep and wake-up.. nice huh/.:rolleyes:

Ok thanks for your answer.

1. You understood something wrong! I took my Uphuck 1.4.9 R3 (Tiger) DVD again and with it i reached the Installation Menue.

2. I burned 4x and verified the DVD. Working perfect as always - never destroyed a DVD with these settings.

3. Will try to get a PATA DVD-Drive but then the SATA HDD wont work, bad luck as always. Hoping anyway.

4. Made a signature with my PCs profile but it isn't shown. No idea why. I read that you are annoyed already because lots of people didnt post the facts. ;-)

THANKs!

4. for signature: go to control panel (My Controls menu)! and on the left pane, find edit signature! copy paste someone's signature over there and edit appropriately to your config and dont forget to update my signature at the end

1. Do you actually have iAtkos R3? if your 1.4.9 reached the install screen iAtkos should be able to reach it as well!

2. If you burned the dvd properly, it may be the old and new nforce ata driver incompatibility... maybe? bcoz I cant say for sure...

3. Try that and see the results, sata hdd will not stop working who told you this? The driver recognizes them all... issue is sata dvd functions work differently than hdd... thats what medevil is trying to fix currently... than this annoying issue can be gone as well...

note: yes I m annoyed because people think that this is a guess work... some people just post things even they dont have nforce chipset, some people just say like my pc doesnt work what is the problem... god knows what is wrong... but people here needs information to troubleshoot the problem, if u have signature, it helps a lot, but alone it is not enough, proper description of the problem is also equally important... if you dont tell what you did and what you didnt, it s hard to identify, and will cause lots of repetitive stuffs over n over...

4. for signature: go to control panel (My Controls menu)! and on the left pane, find edit signature! copy paste someone's signature over there and edit appropriately to your config and dont forget to update my signature at the end
THX for your patience, will do it later. I'll take yours because theres not much to edit ;-)
1. Do you actually have iAtkos R3? if your 1.4.9 reached the install screen iAtkos should be able to reach it as well!
I think so :rolleyes: Patched the R2 with EqUaTes Patch and checked the MD5. Only Uphuck 1.4R3 reached Installation, not TubGirl, nor JaS.
2. If you burned the dvd properly, it may be the old and new nforce ata driver incompatibility... maybe? bcoz I cant say for sure...
How could i burn it wrong? Are the old and the new drivers on the DVD!?
3. Try that and see the results, sata hdd will not stop working who told you this? The driver recognizes them all... issue is sata dvd functions work differently than hdd... thats what medevil is trying to fix currently... than this annoying issue can be gone as well...
Nobody told me but i got extremely pessimstic since i already tried about 8 releases and nothing worked. To get the PataDVD i must wait some hours and then drive to a friend and get it. Thanks anyway. I hope you are still online then. Here its now 14.15 and he will come home at 20.00 :-/ BTW sorry for my bad english. Its getting worse and worse since i graduated.

DvP

EDIT:

Tried now again the R2s with EQuAtEs patches (with and without bad bios) and aftwards i used the "real" R3 NForce Edition with 3F3D063873469A5357F392D027843C10 MD5 (which is correct. Always the same result: "Waiting for root..." and "SAM Multimedia Read or Write failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x06, ASC = 0x29, ASCQ = 0x00"

So i am still waiting for PATA DVD-Rom. Sittin' waitin' wishin'...

last time i saw your cap showing correct cpu info and you said you're using kalyway's smbios, am i right?

btw, how could i change it manually, just give me some hints and i would help myself (can't find after gg-ing:)

thus, one more notes: i used a "ping widget" now, and that my system seems get rid of the network drop (rtl8139) for a few hours, work also after wake up. i haven't tried large workflow of my connections yet, but at least work quite well if i just surf the net without downloading much :P

-------edited--- that ping widget doesn't help... but i can restore my network by doing a sleep and wake-up.. nice huh/. ;)

I didnt touch the smbios, so it is coming from kalyway's package: check one my posts showing the files that are needed after 10.5.2 update... dont remember which post now :D

also the correct cpu info is not on about this mac screen but in system profiler... and smbios like i said, i didnt change it...

for manualy changing the information: check this

scroll down a bit you will see some nice usefull information... regarding your question and some other helpfull nice information as well...

@dvp: your problem is most likely the new nforce ata: doesnt like your sata dvd, it happens on some chipsets... you can try new test driver from medevil's page, but like i said, it s test and u may or may not get the results u want... so just plug n pray after you do the install either pata way or sata usb converter/enclosure way...

good luck

@dvp: your problem is most likely the new nforce ata: doesnt like your sata dvd, it happens on some chipsets... you can try new test driver from medevil's page, but like i said, it s test and u may or may not get the results u want...

i would test the AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip from medevil but i dont know how to integrate it into the boot dvd, so i gotta wait. hopefully i can fix this after i hopefully could install with the pata drive ;) i am still far to noobish to test most things alone. Never had a mac and the hackintosh doesnt want to run. i'm trying since months.