Nforce Chipsets: How to install Leo easy and fast with iAtkos v1.0i r3 - NForce Edition or Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

 Mysticus C*

1,957 posts in this topic

I m not sure if the cpus=1 really solves the problem?

can anyone confirm that using cpus=1 u can stay connected no matter how heavy traffic u use?

system profiler crash? I never had the problem, so not really sure what is the cause, but u can try using netkas's smbios...

yea, i can confirm that. :)

no matter what kind of ethernet, what drivers i used, they work flawlessly in cpus=1. weird huh.

it narrows the options down to nforce chipset / kernel... I guess, if what you say is true... a little chance that multi-threading functions/capability of the driver also can be a reason...

to be able to confirm if it is kernel / nforce related we need a pc with intel chipset and try the nic on them and see if it makes some drops or work flawlesly...

if it will work flawlessly on intel chipset, will narrow the option to only one component nforce chipset/kernel...

remember what I said, the reason why we can not use stock kernels or any non nforce patched kernels? Because apple added new functions to kernel that is related to flushing of buffers/caches begining with 8.9.1 kernel and onwards... And this new function (according to Intel) are not supported by all chipsets...

so two options,

a-) one is that checking nic driver's multi threading capability on intel chipset, and if it works look to the kernel for an answer...

b-) other is if it doesnt work well in intel chipset as well, meaning that answer is in driver itself with multithreading capability have to be added...

it seems the maxmem=3072 solved all of my crashing issues

i just wish i could use all of my memory :D

i guess there is no real solution to that, unless your mobo is ok with 4gb... not all mobos are OK with 4 gb memory... thus the OS as well... if you use 32 bit OS, you will see the 4gb issue...

i guess there is no real solution to that, unless your mobo is ok with 4gb... not all mobos are OK with 4 gb memory... thus the OS as well... if you use 32 bit OS, you will see the 4gb issue...

well the 4gb seems to be recongnized ok in Vista64...it's weird that leopard wouldn't...

well the 4gb seems to be recongnized ok in Vista64...it's weird that leopard wouldn't...

i dont think the recognition is the issue, both bios and OS have to like it as well... since we are on nforce mobo, addressing of the 4gb in 64 bit is probably different... there is not an official support from Apple to NForce chipsets, so things work, they work and you are lucky,if they dont work, you have to do different tricks and sacrifise some stuffs...

:P

Tried 2 Dimms of ram instead of 3, so 2gb total not 3, seemed stable, but froze again during heavy network use.

Mehh i dunno anymore!

what you say is wrong...

the rams you are using already ddr, just 2nd generation... what you dont understand is, random freeze is caused from 4 gb ram cannot be addressed properly by the osx on your mobo... thats why you have to use either maxmem=value or remove one or two sticks, depending on your size of rams (2x2gb each or 4x1gb each)...

if you are lazy to remove the rams, you can just use maxmem=value, if you want proper solution, you have to remove the extra memory to make it 2 gb...

the problem is not seen only on osx, it happens in any 32 bits OS system... some OSs have special patch for it, some dont... and sometimes it s not only OS, but also mobo... since we do not have a supported intel chipset, we have to sacrifice some stuffs in order to be able to use it...

seems like your story is changed abit..try your 2 gb ram, in two different colored ram slots... to make them run in single channel, and report back....?

put each 1gb module in different colored slot...!!! do not put them in same color... and try...

what you say is wrong...

the rams you are using already ddr, just 2nd generation... what you dont understand is, random freeze is caused from 4 gb ram cannot be addressed properly by the osx on your mobo... thats why you have to use either maxmem=value or remove one or two sticks, depending on your size of rams (2x2gb each or 4x1gb each)...

if you are lazy to remove the rams, you can just use maxmem=value, if you want proper solution, you have to remove the extra memory to make it 2 gb...

the problem is not seen only on osx, it happens in any 32 bits OS system... some OSs have special patch for it, some dont... and sometimes it s not only OS, but also mobo... since we do not have a supported intel chipset, we have to sacrifice some stuffs in order to be able to use it...

seems like your story is changed abit..try your 2 gb ram, in two different colored ram slots... to make them run in single channel, and report back....?

put each 1gb module in different colored slot...!!! do not put them in same color... and try...

The tests below were done with Prime 95 which stress tests the cpu and the ram.

Tried 2 dimms in two different colored slots for a total of 2GB and it froze.

Tired 2 dimms in same color slots and it froze.

Tried 1 1gb dimm in 1 slot and it froze.

(System is 100% stable in Windows XP with pirme 95)

Updated bios to newest release still freezing.

I also tried installing on a real sata drive like you said earlier, but, same problem.

The only solution i have found to be stable, so far, is to run on only 1 core with cpus=1.

I ran my system on 1 core overnight with Prime95 with over 8 hours of testing! No freeze no problems at all!

The tests below were done with Prime 95 and downloading 5 - 7 MB /s from the internet

Tried 2 dimms in two different colored slots for a total of 2GB and it froze.

Tired 2 dimms in same color slots and it froze.

Tried 1 1gb dimm in 1 slot and it froze.

Updated bios to newest release still freezing.

The only solution i have found to be stable so far is use 1 core. I also tried installing on a real sata drive like you said earlier, but, same problem.

I ran my system on 1 core overnight with Prime95 over 8 hours! No freeze no problems at all!

have you tried updating to 10.5.2 using the guide?

have you tried updating to 10.5.2 using the guide?

I did on my IDE drive with your guide, but, it was still crashing with 3dimms 3GB total ram.(IDE 10.5.2 formated clean already mehh lol) I had not tested the 2gigs in different color rams slots with 10.5.2, but, if you think it will make a difference ill update and test on my sata drive.

I did on my IDE drive with your guide, but, it was still crashing with 3dimms 3GB total ram.(IDE 10.5.2 formated clean already mehh lol) I had not tested the 2gigs in different color rams slots with 10.5.2, but, if you think it will make a difference ill update and test on my sata drive.

i dont know if it will make any difference, but you can try it as well...

also have u tried sata drive?

also you do not need to install entire new osx, just make 2-3 os x partitions at first, and than once install finished, make a restore of the original to other two, so that they can be the test partitions, in case anytg goes wrong, you still have main partition... u can erase the test partitions any time and restore again from the original base installation... so u can save some time...

Hey Mysticus, Im still trying to figure out what the RAM increment is that I can do 'maxmem=' with. I have 2x2GB Sticks of DDR2 OCZ Reaper X RAM. you said i need to count the amount of chips on the ram module and devide the 2048 megabytes on the module by the amount of chips on it to get my increment, but my RAM sticks have heatspreaders on them so how do i determine this?

Thanks!

I'm somewhat new to this stuff and I'm a bit stuck. First my system is an HP Pavilion desktop model A6300F. This system has an nforce chipset...specific details below.

Northbridge is Nvidia Geforce 7100

Southbridge is Nvidia nforce 630i

My SATA controller mode is set to AHCI. My SATA DVD drive got the waiting for root device so I installed an IDE DVD drive. After doing this I can get into the installation program without any issues. My problem is that once I enter Disk Utility I don't see any hard drive at all. I've also connected these three usb hard drives and tried formatting each in both NTFS and FAT32 again with no success.

I've used a 40GB ipod video.

I've used an iriver 30GB player.

My last attempt was an old Archos 20GB drive.

All of these don't even show up in Disk Utility.

So I'm hoping this issue is known and I can get the information to fixing it.

i dont know if it will make any difference, but you can try it as well...

also have u tried sata drive?

also you do not need to install entire new osx, just make 2-3 os x partitions at first, and than once install finished, make a restore of the original to other two, so that they can be the test partitions, in case anytg goes wrong, you still have main partition... u can erase the test partitions any time and restore again from the original base installation... so u can save some time...

Tired sata, 2 dimms different color slots, with 10.5.2 your upgrade guide and it still froze.

Any one try or confirm these kernels are working mach_CoreCPU.EFI.nforce.C31.zip ??? I could not get those to work, kernel panic on boot

@hyper salad: do yo have random freeze issue as well? if u dont have, it is not for you, if you have, than count the memory chips on a module... how? if heatsinks is covering chips, check if you can see it from (both) sides, up and down as well... if you still cant see it... you can still use safe value 3072 as it s 3gb...

increments are for determining the max value u can use safely before freezing... the values u can take are between 3072 - 3584... if u ve more than 2gb u wont feel that much difference anyway... so just use 3072...

@seeclearly: check your PM

@djx18: welcome to hackintosh :P

i can confirm that they are working, at least on my system... to safely test them, just place them at root, and at boot type their name... so that u can test them before u make any kernel permamanent...

how? just put them in the root and rename like

mach_efinforce

mach_noefinforce

mach_noefi

etc etc...

so at boot type

name of efi -v

for example

mach_efinforce -v

for your situation, I dont really know the answer, it may be a faulty h/w or driver or simply os x doesnt like ur chipset... if u re tired, u can stop trying... :(

Tired sata, 2 dimms different color slots, with 10.5.2 your upgrade guide and it still froze.

Any one try or confirm these kernels are working mach_CoreCPU.EFI.nforce.C31.zip ??? I could not get those to work, kernel panic on boot

I for one can confirm the mach_CoreCPU.EFI.nforce.C31 kernel is working along with the new system kext.

@hyper salad: do yo have random freeze issue as well?

Yes... I removed a stick of RAM and the music program I was using now doesnt give me the reboot sign in different languages when I try to use it. So I guess I will try to figure out the increment thing. Thanks!

I for one can confirm the mach_CoreCPU.EFI.nforce.C31 kernel is working along with the new system kext.

Yes... I removed a stick of RAM and the music program I was using now doesnt give me the reboot sign in different languages when I try to use it. So I guess I will try to figure out the increment thing. Thanks!

make sure u count each side of the ram module... bcoz usualy each side has memory chips...

for example i have 2different sets of 1gb modules and each side has 8 chips totaling 16 chips... 1024/16 = 64mb increments....

both has 16 chips... why am i telling this? bcoz one set has heatsink, but from the side (top part or the bottom part) i can still count the chips

Its weird, it's just this one music program that crashes, and it crashes even on maxmem=3072... When I type maxmem=2048 it works fine. The rest of the computer doesnt crash on the full 4 gigs... so what I ask now is - is there a way to set an individual programs memory allocation in OSX?

another thing I wanted to ask is... Does anyone know what PCI firewire port card works with the 680i motherboard and osx86, I wanted to try one to see if my firewire sound card would work without freezes with both cores enabled. I have a feeling the 680i onboard firewire port is a bit dodgy for sound cards.

Thanks a bunch!

Its weird, it's just this one music program that crashes, and it crashes even on maxmem=3072... When I type maxmem=2048 it works fine. The rest of the computer doesnt crash on the full 4 gigs... so what I ask now is - is there a way to set an individual programs memory allocation in OSX?

another thing I wanted to ask is... Does anyone know what PCI firewire port card works with the 680i motherboard and osx86, I wanted to try one to see if my firewire sound card would work without freezes with both cores enabled. I have a feeling the 680i onboard firewire port is a bit dodgy for sound cards.

Thanks a bunch!

why dont u use a usb sound card, i saw one usb card on HCL list that works fully...

why dont u use a usb sound card, i saw one usb card on HCL list that works fully...

because for the most part USB sound cards are really terrible. I dont know of any USB professional sound cards (all the M-Audio ones that are USB are semi-professional or pro-sumer and total {censored} for good sound quality and serious studios) because the bandwidth on USB for audio is not good enough for serious professional music production and high quality audio. Firewire 400 is basically the minimum spec for Professional sound cards. preferably PCI, PCIe, or Firewire 800 is the way to go really.