Nforce Chipsets: How to install Leo easy and fast with iAtkos v1.0i r3 - NForce Edition or Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

 Mysticus C*

1,957 posts in this topic

Thank you so much!

We have the same mobo and processor. I had the r1 iatkos iso so i ppf'ed r2 and r3 and it came out fine w/o any errors. But, this version too goes into the reboot loop in 2-3 seconds as soon as it is loading the bootloader. Is there anything I missed in the BIOS that I need to change?

The Kalyway install works fine though w/o any typical problems except that I have to put in cpus=1 and the XBence score is about 80. This is less than half of what others are getting and I do not know how to increase the score so that the Adobe applications run faster and smoother as they do in Vista64. Btw, I am using medevil's patches for nforce SATA read/write capabilities.

Once again, thanks!

have you chosen the right settings as shown on the install guide?

have you chosen the right settings as shown on the install guide?

Well, sorry but I cannot find any instructions for BIOS settings. I am stuck at the pre-install procedure. I made the DVD, booted off it but am not able to reach the installer at all. It just boots in 2-3 seconds and this happened for both the r1 and r2 DVDs.

your hardware specs would be nice on your signature...your hdd may not show if you dont have nforce ata injected to your dvd's boot extensions and install extensions for first boot from hdd... if you have nforce mobo...since you dont have any information, difficult to tell...

bad news: IONetworkingFamily is also giving up connectivity...so it is down to kernel right now i guess... unless there is a flaw in the driver design, can be the new schedular issue with flushing buffers...

K, I have an acer 3050 1118 laptop it has a Amd sempron processor. 120 GB HDD and 768 ram. Thanks for your reply. Could you give me directions to do the stuff you said? To be honest I dont really know what your talking about. Thanks

Well, sorry but I cannot find any instructions for BIOS settings. I am stuck at the pre-install procedure. I made the DVD, booted off it but am not able to reach the installer at all. It just boots in 2-3 seconds and this happened for both the r1 and r2 DVDs.

do you actually have the right 1.0i and r2? before the r3 patch have checked md5s on 1.0i? r2? your problem sounds like you do not have r3 yet, if you did, you would be able to boot by now... 1.0i and r2 doesnt boot bcoz it doesnt have nforce kernel on it, but r3 has it, looks like u do not have the right dvd or right patch...

I guess the best way to remove all these doubts would be for me to dld the complete r3 version again and then try it out. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Cheers!
yeah thats the best option unless you can check md5 of what you have and confirm they are the right ones...

K, I have an acer 3050 1118 laptop it has a Amd sempron processor. 120 GB HDD and 768 ram. Thanks for your reply. Could you give me directions to do the stuff you said? To be honest I dont really know what your talking about. Thanks

you do not even have nforce chipset... check your specs first...

Processor / Speed : Mobile AMD Sempron™ 3200+/3500+ (1.6/1.8 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)

Core Logic Chipset : ATI Radeon® Xpress 1100

Video Subsystem : ATI Radeon® Xpress 1100 integrated 3D graphics, with up to 128 MB of shared system memory

no luck for you here, please learn what to look for first, use search functions, and put your notebook model, to see if anytg comes out...

good luck...

Hi, i installed leopard with no problem, chose all the correct patches and stuff for my system, but on restard it fails to boot properly, i get to the apple logo the spinniny things starts it just keeps doing that

p.s ive tried -v, -v-x, -v cpus=1, -s but still no luck, i would be very greatful if anyone can help me

thanks ,

Max :P

---PC---

CPU: E6750 2.66ghz

Mobo:Asus P5N-E SLI

RAM: 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800mhz Dual Channel

Video: Nvidia 7300LE

HDD: 3 hds Maxtor sata 250gb, Maxtor 40gb ide (installing leapord on) and IBM 38gb

DVDRW: TSSTCorp

OS: Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Vista Ultimate32bit

Monitor: Proview CY-485

PSU: 500 W Antec

Hi, i installed leopard with no problem, chose all the correct patches and stuff for my system, but on restard it fails to boot properly, i get to the apple logo the spinniny things starts it just keeps doing that

p.s ive tried -v, -v-x, -v cpus=1, -s but still no luck, i would be very greatful if you helped me

thanks ,

Max :P

---PC---

CPU: E6750 2.66ghz

Mobo:Asus P5N-E SLI

RAM: 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800mhz Dual Channel

Video: Nvidia 7300LE

HDD: 3 hds Maxtor sata 250gb, Maxtor 40gb ide (installing leapord on) and IBM 38gb

OS: Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Vista Ultimate32bit

Monitor: Proview CY-485

boot with -v and check for error messages

also did u install drivers for your nvidia? if so, u will need to remove it... since 10.5.1 is known not to work for certain gfx chips, but fixed on 10.5.2...

some bad news: new driver has same results... will try old IONetworkingFamily in this and see how it will work...

yea, same result as you do, and i have tried 10.4.8 kext already, no luck ...

-----------------------------------edited

what's your version of 8139 chipsets,

i got two in hand,

one is RTL8139/28792B1/312E Taiwan

one is RTL8139/38177Q1/335E Taiwan

the 335E is the one i tested previously,

network drop occurs whatever which drivers i used.

but the 312E one (older one i think) is working fine,

and now i'm launching some torrent for half an hour with no drops,

using the recompile 8139 kext for leopard,

but i think that don't really matter ...

still testing, will report later :)

--------------edited at night

no luck :)

Ok i`ve done my sig, sorry about that.

My problem is with trying to install the 10.5.2 update. I`ve follwed your instructions but I`m stuck in a reboot loop.

I suspect i have placed the mach_kernel in the wrong place, I just opened my leo drive in a finder window and moved it over but i thought it was an invisible file so why can i still see it.

I`m a noob when it comes to macs so how exactly do i replace the mach_kernel, I`m a bit confused!!

Ok i`ve done my sig, sorry about that.

My problem is with trying to install the 10.5.2 update. I`ve follwed your instructions but I`m stuck in a reboot loop.

I suspect i have placed the mach_kernel in the wrong place, I just opened my leo drive in a finder window and moved it over but i thought it was an invisible file so why can i still see it.

I`m a noob when it comes to macs so how exactly do i replace the mach_kernel, I`m a bit confused!!

it's okay if you see your kernel is visible to you in finder,

replace the kernel in this way:

1. place the kernel you need to replace with in desktop

2. in terminal, type:

>> sudo bash

>> type in your password

>> cp -R /mach_kernel /mach_backup

>> cp /users/USERNAME/desktop/mach_kernel /

finished.

or you can drap and drop the kernel to root in finder,

if the kernel you drop is called "mach_toh"

then when you reboot, press F8 to enter flag,

type> mach_toh -v

and your system can be booted up if no other prob.

Mysticus: I did your appleviaata edit, (I did it wrong in my last post but its working now) because I have been getting a lot of random freezes like i had stated before. The mouse moves but everything else is frozen.

I get these freezes all the time when i download from newsbin at speeds around 10MB/s i can not find any errors in the console related to it.

It also freezes when im just using OS X and not using the network heavily.

After the appleviaata update, with my dev id for ide controller, my hard drive becomes only 128gb and my 2nd partition for time machine disappears.

After editing the apple ata my system still froze under heavy network use.

I still have to test for a freeze without heavy network use.

You told me to try a sata hard drive install for osx, i did not get a chance to do it but, i want to try and fix this.

Thank for your help!

Mysticus: I did your appleviaata edit, (I did it wrong in my last post but its working now) because I have been getting a lot of random freezes like i had stated before. The mouse moves but everything else is frozen.

I get these freezes all the time when i download from newsbin at speeds around 10MB/s i can not find any errors in the console related to it.

It also freezes when im just using OS X and not using the network heavily.

After the appleviaata update, with my dev id for ide controller, my hard drive becomes only 128gb and my 2nd partition for time machine disappears.

After editing the apple ata my system still froze under heavy network use.

I still have to test for a freeze without heavy network use.

You told me to try a sata hard drive install for osx, i did not get a chance to do it but, i want to try and fix this.

Thank for your help!

have u added your dev id correctly to sata section?

there is two possibility causes 128 gb, indicates that it s applepcgenericata (not the expected) driver running in pio mode meanin extremely low performance

a-) it is caused from wrong id adding (not correct ide id added, u need to check your own id, bcoz example is my id and can be different in different mobo) or adding it to wrong place (it has to be in sata section not pata, and the form should be like i did)

b-) your ide controller is not compatible with the appleviaata driver

i hope u did it right, bcoz many pep do it wrong, either wrong id, wrong place, and wrong way of adding and forgetting to fix permission, and forgetting to delete mkext and caches and forgetting to reboot with -v -f

Just check what you did...

else if u can give my your dev ids i can add it myself and give u directions to do it properly...

@mui: I know it s frustrating, but i sort of guess what the problem is about, i m just not tech enough to compile the driver myself...

the problem is my guess:

when the flow is too high, some caches/buffers gets filled, and when more comes, it cannot reflush caches/buffers automatically!!!

that is why we need to restart (no electrik current everytg flushed automatically) but that is not a desirable option... i know...

this is being caused from either driver itself, or kernel i guess...

why? bcoz if u ve read my all topics/posts, i said about cpus=1 is occuring bcoz of the new scheduler in the kernel and it has a function of flushing the caches/buffers.... new flush function is not working on nforce chipsets... and (from kabyl: maker of the nforce kernel) intel's docs state that flush functions os x is using is not working on all chipsets... only on macs... so back to problem, similar situation, ithe problem is either in the driver design, or in the kernel.... and it s about caches/buffers are not being reflushed...

@mui: I know it s frustrating, but i sort of guess what the problem is about, i m just not tech enough to compile the driver myself...

the problem is my guess:

when the flow is too high, some caches/buffers gets filled, and when more comes, it cannot reflush caches/buffers automatically!!!

that is why we need to restart (no electrik current everytg flushed automatically) but that is not a desirable option... i know...

this is being caused from either driver itself, or kernel i guess...

why? bcoz if u ve read my all topics/posts, i said about cpus=1 is occuring bcoz of the new scheduler in the kernel and it has a function of flushing the caches/buffers.... new flush function is not working on nforce chipsets... and (from kabyl: maker of the nforce kernel) intel's docs state that flush functions os x is using is not working on all chipsets... only on macs... so back to problem, similar situation, ithe problem is either in the driver design, or in the kernel.... and it s about caches/buffers are not being reflushed...

hmm, i understand what you mean, so at this state, there should be no any drivers would work perfectly on anyone of the lan adapters, unless the "flush" functions is supported ..

:D a guy told me that he can get rid of the network drop by change the ethernet to half-duplex and about 500mtu, but that's miserably slow. and i thought that just match what you guess ...

btw, i don't really need to reboot everytime when network drops, i can do some kext load and unload in termianl to make it work again, but sometimes doesn't work great(gimme me laggy mouse) ...

i try to write a simple applescript to help me automate this process, but got some prob. when doing shell script ...

i got some privilieges violation paroblem, do you have any ideas?

tell application "Terminal"

do shell script "kextunload /system/library/extensions/PCG* password "xxxx" with with administrative privileges

do shell script "kextload /system/library/extensions/PCG* password "xxxx" with with administrative privileges

end tell

hmm, i understand what you mean, so at this state, there should be no any drivers would work perfectly on anyone of the lan adapters, unless the "flush" functions is supported ..

:) a guy told me that he can get rid of the network drop by change the ethernet to half-duplex and about 500mtu, but that's miserably slow. and i thought that just match what you guess ...

btw, i don't really need to reboot everytime when network drops, i can do some kext load and unload in termianl to make it work again, but sometimes doesn't work great(gimme me laggy mouse) ...

i try to write a simple applescript to help me automate this process, but got some prob. when doing shell script ...

i got some privilieges violation paroblem, do you have any ideas?

for the network adapter, like i said I dont know which one exactly causing the problem, kernel or driver? but i know there is correlation between them, as when you load/unload you will see, some stuffs are being sent to kernel... so it s either the driver have problem flushing the buffers/caches or the kernel... I dont really know the inner system of the driver neither the kernel, so it s down to orByte who wrote the driver, should take a look at it, and tell us an answer/solution about it as I dont think any of us has idea about it...

i dont know if all network cards has same problem as i dont have any extra to test, so cant make the statement that all of them will be same...

yeah thats the best option unless you can check md5 of what you have and confirm they are the right ones...

Ok - So I downloaded the r3 and it booted off quickly and with a few typical bumps on the road to installation, I was through onto the Leo desktop in a few minutes.

The only problem remaining now, as I have read on numerous other posts in this topic, is the cpus=1 flag I have to put in for the network to work properly. And if I put cpus=1, my mouse starts stuttering and it's not as as smooth as compared to booting without any flags.

I wanted to post one possible solution for people with random freezes. This, I guess, applies only for machines with 4GB or more RAM. I too had the same problem but read elsewhere on this site to try using the 'maxmem' flag. While booting, enter either maxmem=3325 or maxmem=3456. The 3325 value works for me so you will have to try out whatever works for your machine/RAM combination.

It worked for me with the Kalyway release and I haven't yet worked on the iATKOS r3 release so much to get any random freezes. Well, I hope this helps some of the other guys with this problem. Could be worth a try.

Cheers!

Ok - So I downloaded the r3 and it booted off quickly and with a few typical bumps on the road to installation, I was through onto the Leo desktop in a few minutes.

The only problem remaining now, as I have read on numerous other posts in this topic, is the cpus=1 flag I have to put in for the network to work properly. And if I put cpus=1, my mouse starts stuttering and it's not as as smooth as compared to booting without any flags.

I wanted to post one possible solution for people with random freezes. This, I guess, applies only for machines with 4GB or more RAM. I too had the same problem but read elsewhere on this site to try using the 'maxmem' flag. While booting, enter either maxmem=3325 or maxmem=3456. The 3325 value works for me so you will have to try out whatever works for your machine/RAM combination.

It worked for me with the Kalyway release and I haven't yet worked on the iATKOS r3 release so much to get any random freezes. Well, I hope this helps some of the other guys with this problem. Could be worth a try.

Cheers!

good catch, i was reading it as well yesterday on some gigabyte topic i think... so if you wanna test it

To check if your RANDOM FREEZING is caused by 4gb memory size or not

boot with

-v maxmem=3072

3072 is just normal value test it in increments of your memory chips size for example, if you have 1gb memory modules and 8 chips on them, 1024/8 = 128 mb increment

maximum u should try is the value before 3584 depending on your memory chips size and do not use 3584 it has to be lower than 3.5 gb this problem exists on any 32 bit systems as far as i know, but we should be using 64 bit, should not have happened, however looks like it s happening...

another way of testing it is remove your other stick (if you have 2 x 2gb) or two sticks (if you have 4 x 1gb) also try running on single channel as well if 4x1gb is your config...

ramukaka: you are using wrong value 3328 is a valid value.... 3325 not a good idea...

increments should be 32/64/128/256 depending on the amount of chips you have on the memory modules... dont use funny numbers...

for example:

1024 mb module with 4 chips => 1024 / 4 = 256mb increment (only 1 increment can be used 3072 or 3328)

1024 mb module with 8 chips => 1024 / 8 = 128mb increment (only 3 increments can be used 3072 or 3200 or 3328 or 3456)

1024 mb module with 16 chips => 1024 / 16 = 64mb increment calculate the rest...

I dont think there is 32 chips on a memory module :)

2048 mb module with 4 chips => 2048 / 4 = 512 mb increment (means u cant use anything other than 3072 no increments)

calculate the rest yourself...

in short: if you use maxmem=value, you are not having a hassle of removing memory module to test, if you remove your module(s) you do not need to use maxmem=value flag....

if you confirm that the change fixes your random freezes. you can make it permament by adding it as a flag for startup

go to terminal

sudo su

enter your password

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>maxmem=3456</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

ctrl+o

enter

ctrl+x

thats all u need to do once you test it manually...

Ok - I will try it with the values you mentioned. :)

Also, regarding the network problems, try it with DHCP. I think it's working but cannot be sure for now. I am connected through a router so DHCP isn't a problem for me but could be for some users who have a direct connection from their ISP to their NIC.

I will post the exact results as soon as I have abused the network properly for the tests. But currently with DHCP, it seems to be working as I am downloading some torrents and posting this message. Let's see how it goes...

Ok - I will try it with the values you mentioned. :)

Also, regarding the network problems, try it with DHCP. I think it's working but cannot be sure for now. I am connected through a router so DHCP isn't a problem for me but could be for some users who have a direct connection from their ISP to their NIC.

I will post the exact results as soon as I have abused the network properly for the tests. But currently with DHCP, it seems to be working as I am downloading some torrents and posting this message. Let's see how it goes...

no the problem is not dhcp... i m using dhcp on my router to assign ips to cable or wirelessly connected devices... dhcp is working...however after some point, it drops the connection, and never connects to the device... and get an ip address... as a device it shows still working, just cant get an ip address anymore...

like i said, it s most likely related to some buffers/caches... that fills out, and cant be flushed automatically...

for abusing the network, i tried it as downloading 7 files at 100mb each, and opening 10 pages one after another, is enough already after 1-2 mins later internet drops... when you try to release/renew ip it gets funny ip address as it cannot connect to the dhcp server anymore, cable is connected but cannot ping anytg...

so it s nothing to the with dhcp, or direct connection, one possibility maybe RAM bigger than 4 gb, but if someone confirms that he has 2 gb memory and has the problem still, than RAM would be off the list of options...

Ah well, if I had waited two more minutes before entering my previous post, I would have seen that DHCP is not the solution.

So... any solution in sight or are we stuck with cpus=1?

Also, my System Profiler crashes. Is this something bound to happen on a nForce chipset?

Ah well, if I had waited two more minutes before entering my previous post, I would have seen that DHCP is not the solution.

So... any solution in sight or are we stuck with cpus=1?

Also, my System Profiler crashes. Is this something bound to happen on a nForce chipset?

I m not sure if the cpus=1 really solves the problem?

can anyone confirm that using cpus=1 u can stay connected no matter how heavy traffic u use?

system profiler crash? I never had the problem, so not really sure what is the cause, but u can try using netkas's smbios...