Nforce Chipsets: How to install Leo easy and fast with iAtkos v1.0i r3 - NForce Edition or Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

 Mysticus C*

1,957 posts in this topic

Well tried with -v -x flags but no luck :( See hereAnd btw i'm trying to install now on my SATA hdd.
how long have you waited at that point?@mysticusnow i used appleviaata.kext to handle pata, and applenforceata.kext to handle sata,freeze still occurs :censored2: but the uptime is somewhat longer than before.

So frustrating...and very strange that so many with almost same hw have managed to run leopard :censored2:

For example scottishduck has almost same hw to mine except i have 8800gts as a VGA.

Trying to install again with same custom setting which duck was using on his pc...

Hi all.

It seems to me that I've a similar issue with my 8139.

I had reinstalled Leopard from scratch, cause I've tried to use SyncTunes, and It has deleted all the files in my disk :) :angry2:

The first time I had installed I haven't selected any Network driver, cause I' ve not a realtek. Then when I've found one I plugged it and It worked "out of the box"

This time I've selected Realtek 8139 kext during installation, and now when I try to download big files, after 10-15 min the network doesn't work anymore, even if in Sytem Preference->Network it seems active.

And all the system is a bit "laggish" too, untill I reboot.

So, there is someone who know which is the 8139 kext that has been installed from iAtkos DVD. I would try to remove it and see what happens.

Thank you

hi Mysticus

I have this problem

I got the SAM MULTIMEDIA error because of my SATA DVD drive, so i put the AppleNforceATA.kext from kalyway into iATKOS r3 iso. So I could get Leo installed.

Installation with EFI bootloader

The pc boots till this screen

dcam0102ss9.jpg

I tried -v, -x, -f or just ENTER, or boot with DVD in. The boot process doesnt continue. It hangs at this screen (system still work, the boot process does not). What is wrong ? the Nforce kext causes this error ?

Installtion with Darwin/x86

SAM MULTIMEDIA ERROR: READ and WRITE error

Disable all SATA drives in BIOS didnt help.

Help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Thank you.

This time I've selected Realtek 8139 kext during installation, and now when I try to download big files, after 10-15 min the network doesn't work anymore, even if in Sytem Preference->Network it seems active.

And all the system is a bit "laggish" too, untill I reboot.

Yes, this happens also to me after updating to 10.5.2, but I don't have to dowlonad big files, the network is down from the start.

I noticed that same thing when i installed wrong kernel or bootloader. Install again and select nforce sse3 kernel under patches-->kernels and under bootloader-->darwin efi-->select Darwin EFI bootloader. (All of these are naturally under customize)

Hope this helps.

I noticed that same thing when i installed wrong kernel or bootloader. Install again and select nforce sse3 kernel under patches-->kernels and under bootloader-->darwin efi-->select Darwin EFI bootloader. (All of these are naturally under customize)

Hope this helps.

I've installed with those option.

the only thing i've made different was to select 8139 kext, so I hope removing them can solve this issue. But I just can't find them.

@all: the people having network freezes, I am not aware of the network card causing total system freezes!!! So I dont know of a solution for that, I found a different driver (looks to be official driver, so I will give it a try and report back...) I only have network drops under heavy usage (esp: when you have big download files and multiple connections at once!!!) what do I mean? if you are using a download manager to download a big file with multiple connections like flashget or something like that... or 4-5 big files downloading all at once! or torrent files... these are the choking points for the network driver... But never had any freeze due to network driver (except the on board nvidia nic card, as I already mentioned that the driver is not complete so it doesnt work correctly at all... it s a total ducked taped together driver...)

other than that I never had any freeze with system... I used to have freezes when I was using nforceata driver... I am not using it at all anymore... I am using os x on a pata drive with appleviaata patch... since than never had freeze due to hdd access... (only when extracting huge files size of 1GB or bigger, due to ram problem most likely...)

@urgonah: what i mean is drag and drop (copy and paste) the mach_kernel to the root of your os x partition (but before that dont forget to go to terminal and delete the original one) sorry for the typo errors, as reading and writing too many things at the same time, sometimes i loose control of what i m writing... :)

root is where your os x is installed, open finder window, on left you will see your os x partition(s) when you click on any partition, the first screen on the right side where you will see many folders (such as Library, System, Users etc...) is the root: please read the first post carefully as well...

@tmazzoni: I will post the gfx drivers today I think... just wait a bit, I have been a bit busy...

@mui: read the first paragraph and my previous one as well about the nforceata: this is not an official driver as most of you know, so it may not work perfectly for everyone, and even if it works, it is not without bugs either... so I only use pata driver with appleviaata patch, I cant think of anything else... since I had similar random freezes with nforceata as well, since i switched back to appleviaata, never had any freezes due to hdd access... I know you may say, network, but I doubt it is about network, but you may be right as well, bcoz I dont have the problem doesnt mean It s not from the network... if you think that it s network, there is only one way to find out, get rid of nforce ata driver and use appleviaata driver with osx on pata drive only... use it as usual to the point where the freezes happens... see if it will have the freezes or not...? good luck...

@vash: it is called, pcgenrtl8139ethernet.kext, and your problem is the same as all others, which we call it now network drop: only to get the network connection back is (for some) kextunload/kextload way, or (for me only maybe for some others as well) restart... it happens as when big files with multiple connections or multiple individual files are being downloaded... (torrents is one reason, also download managers such as speed download also has similar problem)

@karamello: I would suggest you to get rid of the sam error first by getting ide (pata) hdd/dvd whichever is causing it...

i will report network driver stability later, and also trying to get the gfx installer to work right now...

also for DvP, I managed to get his card working with full qe/ci hardware accelerated, but he is having freezing very quickly as first mouse failing to move smoothly, but I am not sure of all his problems yet as he is fingering with too many things by himself before I can get him to test something, so I need him to first get a working system first so that he can try... before he didnt have gfx and he still had freezing, so I doubt it s gfx drivers, he has some other problem which needs to be fixed first...

DvP: disable on board network card from bios, and remove any other extra network card and see the if the system is gonna freeze again, you may have nforce ata driver problem as I suspect, since one of your sata hdd is not working well with the nforceata driver... you know what i mean, so you may need to remove it as well, and see how system is gonna respond over time, if works ok, start adding one device at a time until you get the freezes again... that way much easier to identify the rotten egg device on your system...

good luck all...

@mysticus

hhmm, i should be careful making any judges indeed.

maybe you're right, cus i have tried another nic today using tulip drivers,

freeze still occur. it's not possible for me not to use the nforceata kext,

sinice my osx is on sata, and only use a pata drive to store data.

what i have done today is to let nforceata.kext handle sata only,

and i used the appleviaata.kext to handle pata, to conclude: no difference.

(maybe not hang in a minute but over 10 minutes is somewhat different)

btw,i dunno got any issue with nforceata w/o network, that's wired...

and makes the whole thing hard to judge ...

@mysticus

hhmm, i should be careful making any judges indeed.

maybe you're right, cus i have tried another nic today using tulip drivers,

freeze still occur. it's not possible for me not to use the nforceata kext,

sinice my osx is on sata, and only use a pata drive to store data.

what i have done today is to let nforceata.kext handle sata only,

and i used the appleviaata.kext to handle pata, to conclude: no difference.

(maybe not hang in a minute but over 10 minutes is somewhat different)

btw,i dunno got any issue with nforceata w/o network, that's wired...

and makes the whole thing hard to judge ...

to really identify the problem... I suggest you to try these... (this is temporary so dont be lazy to try, bcoz it is for your benefit- also you need to have OS X on IDE channel, you do not need to have a dvd drive to run os x... this is for only testing... and will take some time, to find out the trouble, so make sure you have time for all these)

First to do

- Disable on board NIC(s) (if you have two)

- Take out your extra pci NIC...

- If your os x on ide now with appleviaata, remove all your sata drive(s) (forget about storage yet bcoz you are trying to figure out what is causing trouble so for testing you do need storage for this stage)

- Remove NforceATA driver as well (back up)

=============================

1-) Now run the system, as usual, to the point where freezes happens to see if any freeze gonna happen or not? saya 10-15 mins finger around play some stuffs... all usual things... anything happened? If yes, that means system freeze may be no only network, or sata drive but some other major problems involved, like kernels, acpi, apic, or smbios ? If nothing happened continue to 2

2-) Add Sata drive(s) one at a time, and run each time 10-15 mins time specially to access sata devices, copy/paste delete some files (big ones)... anything happened? if yes: problem might be here? either a particular sata device(s) or driver itself... we know that it s not official, if nothing happened continue to 3-)

3-) Keep on board NIC(s) disabled, and add your extra NIC, and use to see what will happen...

In three stages, you can identify the problem(s), but it will take 1-2 hours to try everything I guess to make sure....

Good Luck....

Almost Done with the GFX update installer... (it includes entire gfx update plus, Nvidia fix for nforce chipsets, nvinject with all memory amounts, plus Ati Radeon HD drivers based on old natit and franklin driver...)

Special Note: If you wanna fix your bootloader quickly , just run the installer dvd and choose only efi bootloader in customize window, this is the least painful way to restore your bootloader, if you deleted or copied your partition to another place (bcoz restoring a partition to another driver doesnt restore the bootloader directly w/o third party programs...)

Ok Thanks for the help guys I have 10.5.2 working now kinda.... the system loads fine on my bro's pc but on my pc it just decides not to boot... it shows the grey apple white screen.. and the spinning loading symbol beneath.. then the symbol freezes like normal just before it boots into the system.. but it stays frozen and the system does not boot.

Anyone got any ideas? (my bros pc is some asrock mobo... so technicaly mine should be doing better than his since mines a nforce bord and this installation disc is made for us nforcers)

Ok, now i'm out of options here. Tried several different installation combinations under customization but just can't boot.

Boot hangs always this way: link

All suggestions are more than welcomed because i'm desperate.

I am not really sure about your problem, but how long do you wait after that screen?

bcoz from iokit wait quite error to desktop it waits about 30-40 seconds

also for iokit error message takes about 15-20 seconds to appear on the screen... after the mdnsresponder....

so after the last mdnsresponder message to desktop takes about 1-1.5 mins depending on your system config... first iokit error is normal and many people with nforce are having the slow boot issue i think... but second one, I dont know yet...

@to all:

here is my nforce fixed full graphics update...

note: this is a test installer: so please report back any errors so I can fix it quickly...

this is the note you will see in welcome screen of the installer:

This installer program includes the following:

+ Apple Graphics Update 1.0 for Leopard 10.5.2

+ Fixed Nvidia Drivers for NForce Chipsets (it should work for all chipsets but for nforce chipset a fix needed)

+ NVinject with various memory selections

+ Old Natit driver for ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT and some other working Radeon HD series with old Franklin Driver (FrameBuffer) in ATINDRV

Did not have time to add so much information about it, so here it is...

For Nvidia Cards:

+ After 10.5.2 system update, you only need to install this update and you will not need Apple GFX update as it includes all the components in it...

+ Just choose the nforcefix update + your correct nvinject memory, thats it...

For Radeon HD Cards:

+ This is intended to be used only on specific ATI cards: 2900 XT, 2900 pro, 2600 series (all I think)

You do not need to choose any NVinject, the drivers are included in the main nforce fix update (it includes entire official update fixed for nforce chipsets so no more deleting the NVD* and GeF*)

Ok,

I burned iAKTOS.r3. Put it in, press F8 to install with -v and it hangs at "Still waiting for root device" I've tried BOTH PATA and SATA HD's.

Here is what the screen says right before still waiting for root device:

AppleNForceATA: found 0 units

AppleNForceATA: sata phy reset done

USBF: 0.698 AppleUSBOHCI[0x658f000]::CheckSleepCompatability - OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

AppleNForceATA: found 1 units

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 55 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0x9e0, CTR 0xbe0, IRQ 23, BM 0xc400)

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 55 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0xc000, CTR 0xbc00, IRQ 23, BM 0xb000)

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 55 Serial ATA by MeDevil (CMD 0xb800, CTR 0xb400, IRQ 23, BM 0xb008)

AppleNForceATA: warning: phy connection failed. status=0x00000000

Still waiting for root device

Still.........

Could the fact that I only have 3 SATA devices but 6 channels be the problem?

Does my getting this far mean the SATA DVD is recognized?

Please help.

Ok,I burned iAKTOS.r3. Put it in, press F8 to install with -v and it hangs at "Still waiting for root device" I've tried BOTH PATA and SATA HD's.Here is what the screen says right before still waiting for root device:Could the fact that I only have 3 SATA devices but 6 channels be the problem? Does my getting this far mean the SATA DVD is recognized?Please help.
sounds like your hdd is not recognized at the moment... try changing the channel that your hdd are connected... if it doestn work, meaining that you may need ide hdd... (maybe ide dvd as well... bcoz i cant test sata dvd as I dont have any...)

can anyone try the gfx installer and report back please?

Note: I will add some other installers to POST #2 later for various drivers, as I m getting annoyed for some questions like where is root, what is driver, where is this and that...

i enabled RAID on my sata drive which has stopped the freezes but my network connection is still dropping out when i use alot of bandwith. what is the command to load and unload the 8169 driver kext?

as a side note: when enabling parental controls on an account and trying to log in the system hangs, if i disable the parental controls i am able to log in normally. anyone have this problem?

(zonker @ Mar 8 2008, 04:48 PM) post_snapback.gifOk,I burned iAKTOS.r3. Put it in, press F8 to install with -v and it hangs at "Still waiting for root device" I've tried BOTH PATA and SATA HD's.Here is what the screen says right before still waiting for root device:Could the fact that I only have 3 SATA devices but 6 channels be the problem? Does my getting this far mean the SATA DVD is recognized?Please help.

sounds like your hdd is not recognized at the moment... try changing the channel that your hdd are connected... if it doestn work, meaining that you may need ide hdd... (maybe ide dvd as well... bcoz i cant test sata dvd as I dont have any...)

I get the exact same thing whether the HD is an IDE or a SATA. Neither one will get me past his point. Is it the SATA DVD drive?

BTW, the Kalway disk gets me to the install OSX screen but hangs when I'm partitioning the drive so the SATA's are recognized there.

Very confusing this stuff is.

@vash: it is called, pcgenrtl8139ethernet.kext, and your problem is the same as all others, which we call it now network drop: only to get the network connection back is (for some) kextunload/kextload way, or (for me only maybe for some others as well) restart... it happens as when big files with multiple connections or multiple individual files are being downloaded... (torrents is one reason, also download managers such as speed download also has similar problem)

I've tried to remove that kext and I've got cable not connected in Sys Pref->Network.

I've found another version of the pcgenrtl8139 on the forum and I've tried that one with no luck.

What I'm trying to understand now is which kext the system was using in my first installation, when I've not installed the realtek kext from the DVD. Maybe that kext can solve my problem?

Hope that someone knows of what kext I'm talking about, or I think I have to reinstall everything again.

thank you

I am not really sure about your problem, but how long do you wait after that screen?

bcoz from iokit wait quite error to desktop it waits about 30-40 seconds

also for iokit error message takes about 15-20 seconds to appear on the screen... after the mdnsresponder....

so after the last mdnsresponder message to desktop takes about 1-1.5 mins depending on your system config... first iokit error is normal and many people with nforce are having the slow boot issue i think... but second one, I dont know yet...

Waited about ten mins but nothing happened. Had to power off my pc.

I get wierd results with this whole installation.

When I install i can get into the system fine.. but when I check activity monitor one of my 4 cores is under heavy load and the others are fine.. evertualy after 10 mins the system starts to slow down

I havnt tried going to 10.5.2 on my system yet but it worked fine for my brothers.

Im confused when it comes to drivers do I 1st install the 10.5.2 update? then use scootdangels NVinstallerv3.3 for nforce? then will I have use of my 8600?

@urgonah, can you please boot with -v at boot so that you can see the error messages, if possible screen shot would be more helpful... please boot with -v so you can report the error message! that will be much more help than a sentence saying restart...

@demon: start terminal

sudo su

password

kextunload -v PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

kextload -v PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

@zonker: try to find ide dvd drive if possible and try it with ide drive...

@vash: I dont think it will solve any problem, you will still have network drop... (also when you add the driver, do u fix the permission? and remove mkext and caches? and boot with -v -f ? also original 8169 driver is in IONetworkingFamily/contents/plugins/AppleRTL8169.kext)

@nitrokki: try changin the ports of sata disks... and make a total new install, also, what do you mean by installation doesnt recognize your hdd? did u ever partition it for mac in utilities/disk utility before going into the installer as I said on the post#2 guide?

Myst I found the problem it was my Keyboard! so i swaped for another and all cores are fine :)

Gonna re try your drivers again and il take a pic of any errors I find and send you them soon as I get them. (Just re installed the system gonna do a 10.5.2 update now)

Do you know if after the 10.5.2 update I can install the NVinstallerv3.3 nforce driver to get use of my 8600?

Myst I found the problem it was my Keyboard! so i swaped for another and all cores are fine :rolleyes:

Gonna re try your drivers again and il take a pic of any errors I find and send you them soon as I get them. (Just re installed the system gonna do a 10.5.2 update now)

Do you know if after the 10.5.2 update I can install the NVinstallerv3.3 nforce driver to get use of my 8600?

please first try the installer I posted, it contains everything 10.5.2 graphics update has, plus the fixes! so if you wanna help, try my installer first... NVinstaller is missing some components from the original installer, this one has everything...

Thxz for the release! r3 rocks. However, I have a problem :rolleyes: The install works fine, no extra options needed! But when I get into the first movie after the whole install is completed my screen is just scrambelled. I cant see what i am doing because i can not see it properly. I have the Aopen G945i-Mt with the GMA X3100 onboard graphics. My screen is a 22" widescreen TFT panel. Do you know how i can solve this?