[How to] Install 10.5.2 Update [TUTORIAL]

=-Devin-=

509 posts in this topic

Hey,

I am currently running a 10.5.1 iAtkos, with x86 boot loader, dont have EFI installed, intalled 10.5.2 update as written but could not start the OS after reboot in any mode. Can anybody please help, if there is any other method to be followed in my case.

Dual Core2.8, 2 Gb, 256 NV8600 GT

Thanks

AFAIK you need EFI for the new released kernels. You could try to replace the 10.5.2 kernel with the previous one (from iAtkos). If you do it, don't forget to replace System.kext too...

It don't work for me, what do i wrong ?

My Installation:

Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD:

i used the vanilla kernel with the acpifix from the custom installation. Moreover i checked the efi_mbr module, because of my hd is split into two partitions, one with vista and one with mac osx.

Okay, than i did all things of the first post.

1. download the comboupdate

2. make backup of the Extensions Folder

3. run the rm... loop

4. start the setup and wait for finish

5. changed the 1 file to the dsmos.kext

6. copy over the backuped Extensions folder to the new folder and overwrited all files i can. (!!!! I also tried it without copy the backup back)

7. Click on restart

INFO: i boot with -v -legacy cpus=1 because otherwise he reboot (i have a quadcore q6600)

Then at the boot prompt he stops with the "buffer 4096..." message and some lines above he says that he cannot find/load one of the ACPI files.

There is also under the acpi message a kernel panic(cpu 0...) and after that many hex values.

I hope someone can help me.

It don't work for me, what do i wrong ?

My Installation:

Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD:

i used the vanilla kernel with the acpifix from the custom installation. Moreover i checked the efi_mbr module, because of my hd is split into two partitions, one with vista and one with mac osx.

Okay, than i did all things of the first post.

1. download the comboupdate

2. make backup of the Extensions Folder

3. run the rm... loop

4. start the setup and wait for finish

5. changed the 1 file to the dsmos.kext

6. copy over the backuped Extensions folder to the new folder and overwrited all files i can. (!!!! I also tried it without copy the backup back)

7. Click on restart

INFO: i boot with -v -legacy cpus=1 because otherwise he reboot (i have a quadcore q6600)

Then at the boot prompt he stops with the "buffer 4096..." message and some lines above he says that he cannot find/load one of the ACPI files.

There is also under the acpi message a kernel panic(cpu 0...) and after that many hex values.

I hope someone can help me.

BAD BAD BAD! lol

Reinstall, and next time, only copy over needed ones, such as some you had to add to get sound, etc.

If you didn't have to add any to get stuff working, don't worry about replacing any kexts.

No boot after update! When boot whith -s -f I got this error and it won't move any further:

"Localhost /usr/sbin/kdcmond[54]: kdcmond could not launch krb5kdc due to absence of localhostname"

Any ideas?

Please?

If I boot without -f I get a kernel panic

No boot after update! When boot whith -s -f I got this error and it won't move any further:

"Localhost /usr/sbin/kdcmond[54]: kdcmond could not launch krb5kdc due to absence of localhostname"

Any ideas?

Please?

If I boot without -f I get a kernel panic

-f or no -f, its a panic either way.

Strange, its on google, and there is a lot to do with linux for that.

I'm honestly not sure what that means, or how to fix it.

Look around the forums. :)

Never mind, I had to reinstall, then I did the update without changing any kexts, the sistem rebooted normaly but I lost keyboard and trackpad. None of the solutions worked, so... I guess I'll stick with 10.5.1 for a while. Anyways, this update is not that important, I didn't notice any major changes in my macbook, so... no sweat;)

Well, I did use the Kalyway 10.5.2 combo updater and it worked, although I had a long boot time. I tried to fix this by installing the Kalyway 10.5.2 kexts as mentioned in another thread and hosed my install completely because I chose vanilla kernel when I should have probably chosen modified. Now I don't know what to do (Mac noob) and I've had slow response on my post for help (although I am not complaining - I'd be very thrilled for any help in this matter!!!).

I don't want to re-install if I don't have to.

Well, I did use the Kalyway 10.5.2 combo updater and it worked, although I had a long boot time. I tried to fix this by installing the Kalyway 10.5.2 kexts as mentioned in another thread and hosed my install completely because I chose vanilla kernel when I should have probably chosen modified. Now I don't know what to do (Mac noob) and I've had slow response on my post for help (although I am not complaining - I'd be very thrilled for any help in this matter!!!).

I don't want to re-install if I don't have to.

Thats why I recommend you use this method.

Kalys' way is REALLY buggy.

Look around the forum, and see if you can find a solution.

If not, you might have to backup what you can and re-install.

Thanks, Devin! I have actually been looking around and someone mentioned a program called Macdrive, which I have since downloaded and installed on my Vista drive. I am able to see the OSX drive and went as far as to copy the mach kernel from my iAtkos 1.o install over, but I am not sure what else I need to do at this point because I'm a Mac noob and not sure what to look for. I was able to get a few more lines of code (when booting in -v mode), but so far, haven't figured it out just yet. I'm looking though!!!

I agree - I may have to just backup data files and re-install! Sigh...

Thanks, Devin! I have actually been looking around and someone mentioned a program called Macdrive, which I have since downloaded and installed on my Vista drive. I am able to see the OSX drive and went as far as to copy the mach kernel from my iAtkos 1.o install over, but I am not sure what else I need to do at this point because I'm a Mac noob and not sure what to look for. I was able to get a few more lines of code (when booting in -v mode), but so far, haven't figured it out just yet. I'm looking though!!!

I agree - I may have to just backup data files and re-install! Sigh...

Reilley

Solving the extremely long boot process after installing the 10.5.2 update is very simple. You have two options:

1) Download Kalyway's 10.5.2 Kernel package and install it. You will have two options for kernels, the 10.5.2 Vanilla kernel (you can use this if you're running an EFI setup and are using a modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext) or you check the box for the modified kernel and use that.

2) Alternatively, head over to the IRC channel at irc.osx86.hu and join channel #10.5 in the topic you will see links to Netkas's updated 9.2.0 kernels (which are built for 10.5.2).

Trust me, this is the only thing that will solve the long boot after installing 10.5.2.

Post back with results please.

-P2

I followed the instructions and installed the update. When i rebooted my computer would not load Leopard at all and kept rebooting.

I think it's due to the video driver (i have nvinject desktop) because it reboots exactly where the apple logo should appear over the gray screen... it just keep rebooting.

I did backup and copied back my .kext in the extensions folder before rebooting (only NVinject.ktext and my LAN kext)

If anyone has any idea why it does that let me know. i re-installed 10.5.1 for now and will try again tomorrow.

P2,

THANK YOU for your reply! I did in fact install the Kalyway kernel, but like a total idiot I chose vanilla kernel when I should have chosen the modified one, hence the repetitious booting problem.

I opted to re-install iAtkos yesterday and noted that for the first time, I was having problems applying the Darwin Bootloader prior to installing Leopard. I know I selected the correct drive and partition (I have TWO drives - one Vista, one OSX - with OSK having only one partition formatted as Mac Extended but not journaled), but the Darwin bootloader installer kept erroring out. I didn't remember this happening this first time I installed iAtkos after it's release, but I just installed iAtkos anyway and upon reboot got the frightening HFS+ Partition Error and I was unable to get into either OS. I immediately booted the iAtkos DVD and deleted the OSX partition, but to no avail. I ran down to the hotel business center and was able to find that the solution was to use the Vista Recovery CD to save my Vista access from certain death.

So this morning I downloaded a Vista Recovery CD and repaired my Vista install, thank goodness. At this point, I am really wondering what I did wrong with the iAtkos installation. I use EasyBCD to dual-boot, so I wonder if I should have deleted the NST Mac OSX entry first.

Anyway, I digress and am off topic (Sorry, everyone). I really want to do this again, so I will try under safer circumstance, say when I am home and not on the road!!! I will monitor this thread and upon my re-install, I will definitely advise as to the success of the 10.5.2 update!

Thanks again!

Attempted the update... But I got stuck with no mouse or keyboard after the update on my laptop. I'll hold off for an easier method. :) It doesn't look like anything major was updated in the release that I can't live without (much like 1.1.4 on the iPhone. I'm sticking with 1.1.2 for awhile yet)

I attempted the update and it broke my version of leopard. I'm using iatkos, is there a way to get to 10.5.2?
Hmmm, I think most people here are using Kalyway.

I'm honestly not sure if you can do it on iATKOS.Are you using PC_EFI and Vanilla Kernel?

You have to in order to get it working.

Attempted the update... But I got stuck with no mouse or keyboard after the update on my laptop. I'll hold off for an easier method. ;) It doesn't look like anything major was updated in the release that I can't live without (much like 1.1.4 on the iPhone. I'm sticking with 1.1.2 for awhile yet)
You will need to use a USB keyboard and mouse to restore your AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext.

Then you will have it back.

** REMEMBER TO REPAIR PERMISSIONS AFTERWARD! **

Or you can use KextHelper. :(

I followed the instructions and installed the update. When i rebooted my computer would not load Leopard at all and kept rebooting. I think it's due to the video driver (i have nvinject desktop) because it reboots exactly where the apple logo should appear over the gray screen... it just keep rebooting. I did backup and copied back my .kext in the extensions folder before rebooting (only NVinject.ktext and my LAN kext)If anyone has any idea why it does that let me know. i re-installed 10.5.1 for now and will try again tomorrow.

Try the install again, but this time don't copy them back, yet.

Re-install them after you reboot, and see if it will work again.

Good luck! :D

By far the easiest way I've found to deploy 10.5.2 (this method is not suitable for everyone) is if you have 2 installs of OSX.

Here is the method I used

1) Boot up into one of your installations

2) Back up the kexts you want to keep (from the disk/partition you are not booted into)

3) Install 10.5.2 to the disk/partition that you are not booted up in. (When running the installer you have the option to choose where you want to install 10.5.2 to.)

4) Replace kexts you backed up (to the partition you are not booted into).

5) Reboot into your 10.5.2

Using this method there is no need to follow the guide by =-Devin-=

By far the easiest way I've found to deploy 10.5.2 (this method is not suitable for everyone) is if you have 2 installs of OSX.Here is the method I used1) Boot up into one of your installations2) Back up the kexts you want to keep (from the disk/partition you are not booted into)3) Install 10.5.2 to the disk/partition that you are not booted up in. (When running the installer you have the option to choose where you want to install 10.5.2 to.)4) Replace kexts you backed up (to the partition you are not booted into).5) Reboot into your 10.5.2Using this method there is no need to follow the guide by =-Devin-=
You are wrong. It will not work.You will STILL have to run the script for removing the CPU kext. You still cannot replace all the kexts, because it has to install the update after rebooting, and any others not in there from before running the installer will make an endless reboot or a KP.
what are the benefits of 1.5.2 as opposed to 1.5.0?
Active Directory
  • Addresses issues which could hinder or prevent binding Mac OS X 10.5.x clients to Active Directory domains.

AirPort

• Improves connection reliability and stability
  • Includes 802.1X improvements.
  • Resolves certain kernel panics.

Back to my Mac

• Adds support for more third-party routers, as detailed in this article.

Dashboard

• Improves performance of certain Apple Dashboard widgets (such as Dictionary).
  • Addresses an issue in which Dashboard widgets may no longer be accessible after switching to or from an account that has Parental Controls enabled.

Dock

• Updates Stacks with a List view option, a Folder view option, and an updated background for Grid view.

Desktop

• Addresses legibility issues with the menu bar with an option to turn off transparency in Desktop & Screen Saver preferences.
  • Adjusts menus to be slightly-less translucent overall.

iCal

• Improves iCal so that it accurately reflects responses to recurring meetings.
  • Addresses an issue in which a meeting may remain on the calendar after being cancelled.
  • Addresses stability issues related to .Mac syncing of iCal calendars.
  • Resolves an intermittent issue in which editing an event with attendees would cause the event to shrink and not register that the event was updated.

iChat

• Addresses an issue with simultaneously-logged in accounts in which iChat sounds generated from one account might be heard in another account.
  • Fixes an issue in which iChat idle time is affected by Time Machine backups.
  • Improves connectivity when running iChat behind a router that doesn’t preserve ports.
  • Enables logged chats from previous versions of iChat to open faster and more reliably.
  • Addresses an issue with text chats in which users may be unable to receive messages from the sender.
  • Addresses an issue that may prevent rejoining an AIM chat room without reopening iChat.
  • Addresses video chat compatibility issues with AIM 6 and third-party routers.
  • Fixes an issue with case-sensitivity of AIM handles.

iSync

• Adds support for Samsung D600E and D900i phones.

Finder

• Addresses an issue in which Finder could unexpectedly quit when displaying folder contents in Column view.
  • Addresses an issue in which Finder could unexpectedly quit when accessing Users and Groups in a Get Info pane.
  • Resolves an issue that prevented setting permissions on a folder alias.
  • Resolves an issue in which the Eject command could write to a disc in the optical drive.
  • Fixes an issue in which the scroll bar might disappear when deleting a file within a folder that includes files that are out of view.
  • Fixes an issue in the Sharing & Permissions section of Get Info windows, in which the gear icon appears to be gray/disabled after authentication.
  • Addresses an issue in which the Show Icon Preview preference might not be not saved when turning it off.
  • Fixes an issue that could occur when trying to print an image from the Finder.

Mail

• Addresses an issue with Message menu's Mark > As Read choice.
  • Fixes an issue in which duplicate On My Mac folders may appear in the sidebar after upgrading to Leopard.
  • Improves the accuracy of the Data Detectors feature.
  • Resolves an issue with scrolling through a Note that is displayed using the split view in the message window.
  • Fixes an issue with deleting messages located in the Drafts folder.
  • Fixes an issue in which dragging the icon in the Safari URL field into a Mail message creates an attachment instead of a link.
  • Addresses an issue found when opening a item in the Notes folder that is not a Note.
  • Fixes an issue that may prevent RSS feeds from being delivered in Mail.
  • Resolves an issue in which a selected message could "flash" from blue to gray when in Organize by Thread mode.
  • Fixes an issue with scrolling between multiple To Dos in an email message.
  • Fixes an issue in which the body of email messages with certain MIME structures may not be displayed.
  • Improves performance with America Online (AOL) account-based messages in Mail.
  • Addresses issues with some ISPs during automatic set-up in Mail.
  • Addresses an issue in which Mail might not send mail on some networks to some SMTP servers.
  • Mail now automatically disables the (unsupported) third-party plugin GrowlMail version 1.1.2 or earlier to avoid issues.
  • Adds an option to view large icons in the Mailbox list.

Networking

• Addresses a hanging issue that may occur when connecting to an AFP network volume.

Parental Controls

• Improves stability when opening the Parental Controls System Preferences pane.
  • Fixes an issue that may prevent changes to the email address for permission requests.
  • Addresses an issue with printer administration for a guest account enabled with Parental Controls.
  • Addresses an issue with setting printer administration privileges from another Mac on the local network.
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent certain applications from being allowed.
  • Addresses accuracy issues with the web content filter.

Preview

• Improves stability when scrolling through a PDF document.
  • Fixes an issue that prevents tabbing within a PDF document after clicking on the PDF.
  • Improves the Mail Document feature so that email attachments are more reliably created from Print Preview.

Printing

• Addresses an issue in which remote printers may be deleted when the computer is put to sleep.
  • Improves printing performance when using some Microsoft Office applications.
  • Resolves an issue with some printing options, such as landscape orientation, number of copies, two-sided printing, and so forth that may not have functioned with some printers shared by Microsoft Windows.
  • Adds support for certain printers connected to the USB port of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express base station.
  • Resolves a stalling issue that could occur when installing certain Canon printing software from a disc.

RAW Image

• Adds RAW image support for several cameras, as detailed in this article.

Safari

• Addresses issues with Safari reliably resolving certain domains.

Login and Setup Assistant

• Addresses an issue in which Setup Assistant could unexpectedly appear each time Mac OS X 10.5 starts up.
  • Improves stability and performance during log in.

System

• Improves the accuracy of the grammar checker.
  • The computer will now shut down if an automatic disk repair does not succeed during startup.

Time Machine

• Adds a menu bar option for accessing Time Machine features (the menu extra can be enabled in Time Machine preferences). The status menu appears by default.
  • Improves backup reliability when computer name contains slash or non-ASCII characters.
  • Fixes an issue in which the backup disk displayed in the Finder may be out of sync with the disk chosen for Time Machine.
  • Addresses issues in which some external drives are not recognized by Time Machine.

Other

• Improves general stability when running third-party applications.
  • Addresses an issue in which the incorrect search results may be displayed for certain Automator Find/Filter actions.
  • Addresses an issue with the Latvian and Russian keyboard layouts.
  • Addresses an issue in which the backlight could turn off before Energy Saver's backlight setting.

ENJOY! :D

First of all thanks for this excellent guide....worked extremely well for me. I followed the instructions...tweaked a few things ( added the fix for the System Profiler and reinstalled my audio kexts) and at this point I am 99% good. Only 1 small problem: I cannot get restart to function at all. Worked fine on my previous install (Kalyway 10.5.1) but so far no go. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions such as kext replacement etc. I backed up all of my old extensions but so far have not changed any. Have no idea which one might help with the reboot issue. Thanks in advance and once again many thanks to Devin and Netkas.

You are wrong. It will not work.You will STILL have to run the script for removing the CPU kext. You still cannot replace all the kexts, because it has to install the update after rebooting, and any others not in there from before running the installer will make an endless reboot or a KP.

You are wrong i'm afraid. If you are installing to another partition/disk this method works fine, it does all the install there and then cos the partition you are installing to isn't active, it doesn't run a script at startup. If you are installing to the partition which is currently active, this is true, it runs a startup script. I've tested this on 3 machines using the retail install method and it works flawlessly.

Don't believe me? Try it! :)

Hello,

I followed your tutorial and the update should be fine.

But now I can't login with any user.

My Hackintosh boots up to the login window without any errors.

Now I try to login, it accept my username and password, then i see the blue background... and then I'm back at the login window.

I used the -s boot option and then fsck -fy but that don't fix it.

So, can someone help me please?

Thanks a lot,

genin