New MacBook Pros Soon?

Numberzz

60 posts in this topic

With the news that Apple might be holding an event in late February, people are already speculating what's in store. As usual, people pick the oldest product to be replaced and go for that. They are thinking that the new MacBook Pro might be similar to the air and have the new Black Keyboard and maybe even a magnetic latch. Personally I wouldn't buy something that looked like the MacBook Pro in the image below and am quite lucky I got mine early. If this event is to be held, the iPhone/iPod touch SDK will definitely be mentioned as well.

20080209-gri585ub7c5t2bse1q2abn32b7.jpg?

I don't really care how it looks as long as it's a strong performer and offers the right features. I'm sure the next pro model will also offer SSD, but still will cost too much for the next couple of years. I'm betting it will also offer the same trackpad as the Air does.

I think the picture is a fake. I expect the new MBP to hava a magnetic latch and new ports such as DisplayPort (likely it will have the Micro-DVI like the MBA - though DisplayPort has one advantage over DVI: it also transfers audio signals) and maybe additional expansion ports (USB or FW - that's what I really wish for, because two USB ports aren't simply enough!).

Maybe it will be a bit thinner, we'll see. Other than that I think we will see a keyboard like that of the MBA (as seen on the picture).

I could also live with an external optical drive like the MBA offers if I could install a second hard disk via a drive bay or if the MBP had a second battery instead, but I guess this is just pure speculation or wishful thinking. Apple should also go with ExpressCard/54 since there are a lot more expansion cards for the 54mm slot than for the 34mm standard. (e.g. there is no newer sound card for ExpressCard/34 I could think of!).

It will certainly also feature the multitouch trackpad, Penryn processors and maybe also new GPUs (well, maybe not so likely).

lol, reading this thread has shown me how stupid people are.

If apple makes the macbook aluminium, i will never buy another mac product again. the macbook is a {censored} low end machine, not something you pack into aluminium casing, plastic is just fine. Quad core? are you {censored}ign serious?

the display panels in the new mbp's are of extremely high quality and resolution take the 17" HD for example, 1920x1200 pixels in 17" is rather impressive. The new mbp already has 64bit efi firmware in it. The picture is a fake, as it was submitted on engadgets mock up thread. i would also hate to see it without an optical drive, it would make the mbp a paperweight just like the mba. And i hope they dont use a {censored} plastic keyboard.

lol, reading this thread has shown me how stupid people are.

If apple makes the macbook aluminium, i will never buy another mac product again. the macbook is a {censored} low end machine, not something you pack into aluminium casing, plastic is just fine. Quad core? are you {censored}ign serious?

the display panels in the new mbp's are of extremely high quality and resolution take the 17" HD for example, 1920x1200 pixels in 17" is rather impressive. The new mbp already has 64bit efi firmware in it. The picture is a fake, as it was submitted on engadgets mock up thread. i would also hate to see it without an optical drive, it would make the mbp a paperweight just like the mba. And i hope they dont use a {censored} plastic keyboard.

I wouldn't say the MacBook is a {censored} low-end machine -- It's basically a MacBook Pro in terms of power, sans graphics card.

Also, have you ever taken an optical drive out of a MacBook Pro (or laptop in general?) ... it's maybe a quarter of a pound. Maybe.

I agree -- laptops are useless without an optical drive. Well, not useless -- but annoying. I can't see a MacBook Pro without an optical drive anytime soon considering the MBP is like a desktop replacement.

the macbook is a low end machine, it isnt marketed as a high end beast, its marketed as a machine for students and people who dont need the power, i know, i have one. its {censored} performance even cpu wise to the mbp, mbp has better displays. where did removing an optical drive from a laptop come into play? i have disassembled my mbp completey several times so i am no stranger to the parts used inside. the slot loading drives are much lighter than the normal "pop-out" drives as well

ew...i really hope they dont add the black keyboard. I was planning on getting a mbp within the next couple months, but i like the all aluminum case including the silver keys.

Also, if they gut the optical drive out of the new mbp's, they just lost a customer. They call this technology innovation, but its more like going backwords in technology to me.

the macbook is a low end machine, it isnt marketed as a high end beast, its marketed as a machine for students and people who dont need the power, i know, i have one. its {censored} performance even cpu wise to the mbp, mbp has better displays. where did removing an optical drive from a laptop come into play? i have disassembled my mbp completey several times so i am no stranger to the parts used inside. the slot loading drives are much lighter than the normal "pop-out" drives as well

yuh, well, when you just do web developing like me -- do you really need a high powered CPU or GPU? I'm plenty happy with the SR C2D... anything faster at this point isn't cost effective IMO.

I'm just saying that it would be a dumb move for Apple to dump the optical drive when it's still relevant in today's world ;)

ew...i really hope they dont add the black keyboard. I was planning on getting a mbp within the next couple months, but i like the all aluminum case including the silver keys.

Also, if they gut the optical drive out of the new mbp's, they just lost a customer. They call this technology innovation, but its more like going backwords in technology to me.

I don't think they will be removing the optical drive. At least not from the macbook pro. I mean,A lot of people use the MBP as a desktop replacement (the normal MB too). Apple knows this. The MBA isn't marketed as an all-round computer, but more as a mobile device.

I love the new black keyboard though. I'm not so sure what everyone likes about the old aluminum keys though.