Microsoft Office has a bug, Blames Apple

Numberzz

43 posts in this topic

It is reported that the new Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac has a pretty bad bug. One that sets the permissions on a lot of files to not the user that installed it or the Admin, but the second user created on said computer. That means that this user could modify or alter any of the files in some folders. Worst of all, it seems that they are blaming Apple's package installer for this, because it is the first time they used it for an install. Even though all the other 1000s of apps that use Apple's package installer aren't messed up as well. Maybe MacBU needs to remember Office for Mac 2008 isn't the only Mac software available...

412492YBK1L._AA280_.jpg

Full Story/Fix

Another fine specimen of Microsuck software.

Yes Alright and i think that iWork '08 is very nice application instead of this office (2008) and enough too.

i hope only iwork supports right to left writing destination to can write arabic without any problem.

Regards.

Yes Alright and i think that iWork '08 is very nice application instead of this office (2008) and enough too.

i hope only iwork supports right to left writing destination to can write arabic without any problem.

Regards.

I just wish the previous versions of Office on Mac and PC would stop creating bloated Excel Shared Workbooks. We have an Excel spreadsheet that is shared. About once a quarter the files size goes from 60 kb to 250 MB!! About 10 users share this .XLS file. The only way to fix it is save it down and an Excel '95 format and then re-share it. Then it goes back to 60 kb. We have the history changes turned off too, but it still creates {censored}.

Bloatware!

gt

I just wish the previous versions of Office on Mac and PC would stop creating bloated Excel Shared Workbooks. We have an Excel spreadsheet that is shared. About once a quarter the files size goes from 60 kb to 250 MB!! About 10 users share this .XLS file. The only way to fix it is save it down and an Excel '95 format and then re-share it. Then it goes back to 60 kb. We have the history changes turned off too, but it still creates {censored}.

Bloatware!

gt

I remember when I used Access on PC it used to do something similar but on a much smaller scale (1Mb would turn into maybe 5-10MB max). But access had a Compact and Repair option if I remember correctly which would shrink the size back down when you run it from within the database. Before I realised this tool was available I used to create a new DB and import everything to the new one from the old, which did the same shrinking task. :P

But yeah this bug seems pretty serious. I guess I'll wait for an update before I try it.

Apple has never, ever, ever, blamed Microsoft for a problem of it's own, right?

Well at least you acknowledge that it is microsofts own problem ;)

Yes we just picked up iWork '08 yesterday and are quite happy with it so far. I'll check into if it supports the feature that you inquired about, and if you don't hear back from me then it does have that feature.

Well I'm glad that Microsoft's Mac BU is as mature as the rest of the company... for a while there I thought they were better!

Even if this was an Apple problem, when a company charges over $300 (CDN, anyways) for a software product, that company better make sure that every major problem (and many smaller ones, to the best of their skills) is taken care of. This is serious. It just goes to show, once again, how low-quality Microsoft's programming abilities are.

Who the hell works in the Mac BU and doesn't know how to use the Apple packager? *sigh*

Also Microsoft Word have a serious bug, when you save it in word 97-2003 compatibility mode and you try it to open in microsoft word in windows it does not want to open, the file looks corrupted. Even iWork 08 can't open it.

Back when Demonoid was in existence, there was a great torrent called "Office 2004 Slimmed Version." If I were still on a Mac, I'd be using that. The new Office has sucked since the leaked beta.

Then again, I always ran as administrator, so a bug like this wouldn't really bother me.

Well at least you acknowledge that it is microsofts own problem :)
I have no idea if it its Microsoft's fault or not, I was simply commenting on the hypocrisy of the attacking of Microsoft for the [apparent] false blaming of Apple.

I could further this with comparisons between Jobs and Gates but my point has been made albeit lacking examples but the main one I can remember off-hand is the iPod virus one where even the most ardent Apple fanboys thought their blaming of Microsoft was lame and pathetic.

:)

One that sets the permissions on a lot of files to not the user that installed it or the Admin, but the second user created on said computer.

oh boy! i don't want microsoft or apple to not me or my files either!

This is a serious issue that should have been corrected in the beta. However, I'm a bit confused. After looking The Office Team Blog and MacUser, I do not see where it states that Microsoft blamed Apple. The only mention to the package installer is in the MacUser article, which states:

While Microsoft’s MacBU has acknowledged the problem, some have also pointed to it as a problem with Apple’s Package Maker, which Microsoft has adopted for the first time with Office 2008.

Can someone please provide me with a link proving that Microsoft did indeed blame this on Apple?

Can we have intelligent discussion instead of "fanboi-erism"? It's getting old...

NO

we are in a OSX86 forum, not in the intelligent-erism forum.

we are fans of Mac OS and PCs, and some of Macs.