[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I would suggest getting a mac from somewhere to burn the DMG. I know of no reliable way of doing this on a PC. If you succeed in burning it and can browse the burnt disk in windows, then try booting it by choosing the boot device as DVD drive from the DELL boot device list (F12 at Dell Logo)

Ok, I'm gonna try burning with Nero first, a few people online have had success with it. I do have a friend that I can get to burn it off his Mac also. I'll post back with my results. Thanks again!

EDIT: Burning with Nero didn't work either. I also tried burning it from a mac, and my laptop still wouldn't boot to the disk. I guess I could take my hard drive out of the laptop and try using diskwarrior from my desktop with is running 10.5.2, and use diskwarrior from there. Would that be safe to do?

EDIT 2: So I Plugged my laptop hard drive into my desktop pc which is running 10.5.2, and I ran DiskWarrior on the partition from there. However it did come to an error at the end of the DiskWarrior repair. So i plugged it into my laptop anyway to try it out. When I boot to the OSX partition, it says "Chain Boot Error", and that's it. So I booted to my iatkos 4 dvd again and tried the repair through disk utility. This time, it was able to successfully repair the partition, however I still get the same message when I try to boot to it, "Chain Boot Error". Any ideas? Thanks.

-Bryce

That is exactly what I have on my M1530 right now, Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6 The problem is with the latest Chameleon, 10.6 produces a KP shortly after the desktop loads. Downgrading the boot loader to Darwin resolves this issue and boots both systems successfully. I'm assuming it is caused by a missing DSDT.aml Any clues anyone?

Well I thought the problem was with chain0, but that still didn't fix it. So anyway, I think I've given up. I'm gonna format my drive, and try a Windows 7 and Snow Leopard Dual boot. Thanks for your help

-Bryce

Anyone have any information on installing Snow Leopard on the M1530? I currently have 10.5.8 Iatkos v7 and everything is working except the normal sleep/shutdown/restart. Everything else is running perfectly. Is it possible to run a direct upgrade using the retail cd without any issues?

I'm interested in Installing Snow Leopard 10A432 on the a M1532. Can u guys recommend any guide/tutorial?

That is exactly what I have on my M1530 right now, Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6 The problem is with the latest Chameleon, 10.6 produces a KP shortly after the desktop loads. Downgrading the boot loader to Darwin resolves this issue and boots both systems successfully. I'm assuming it is caused by a missing DSDT.aml Any clues anyone?

I've never even used Chameleon, I'll have to do some reading. I'm ordering a 320gb 7200rpm for my M1330, 250gb isn't quite enough room. I also want to do a vanilla install, cause I've heard it's the easiest way to upgrade to newer versions.

-Bryce

I'm getting tired of broken kexts :( and broken M1330, a month ago my XPS died, it can't boot not even a sign of POST, I went to Europe for 2 weeks and I left my XPS at the office, the Dell technician replaced the mainboard and the AC adapter, when I came back I try to use it but it only boot once then it died again, this tme at least a sign of life, then Dell send a technician to replace the processor because the flashing leds indicated that, but when he replaced the CPU the same sings appear, then he inst tha the mainboard has a defect on one of the DIMM slots, so next day he replaced the Mainboad and the 2 DIMMs.

A week ago I made the update to 10.5.8 and problems came out, no sleep (resolved with sleepEnabler, thanks Pista7), no Bluetooth (need Bluetooth File Exchange to force it turn ON) and the worst no conection with AFP shares.

I bought a MacBook Pro 13" a week ago for my spouse and I really thinking on getting anothe for me, maybe a 15" one, really getting tired of fighting with kexts and other things :( Now I don't have the time (heavy work) and the will. :(

Sorry to hear that MacGirl. Just wanted to say thank you for all your work on getting OS-X working on the M1330. It's really helped me to learn about OSx-86. My introduction to OSx86 was your compilation. Best of luck with whatever is next!

Has anyone had any luck with SL on the 1530? I've installed it ok, from my main 10.5.7 install, however when I boot I get a KP straight away with the following:

Kernel extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

and then com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(2.5.0) @0x5bb7200-0x5bb9eff

Tried to install a AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext but all that did was produce another KP. mentioning IOPCIFamily and also the BCM4328...

I am running the DSDT.aml that gives full hardware graphics and mirroring etc. Have a custom SMBIOS.plist under /Extra as well. And Chameleon 2 RC2 (was using the netkas 10.1 /boot with it).

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

This and wingrunr's thread are brilliant!

Has anyone had any luck with SL on the 1530? I've installed it ok, from my main 10.5.7 install, however when I boot I get a KP straight away with the following:

Kernel extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

and then com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(2.5.0) @0x5bb7200-0x5bb9eff

Tried to install a AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext but all that did was produce another KP. mentioning IOPCIFamily and also the BCM4328...

I am running the DSDT.aml that gives full hardware graphics and mirroring etc. Have a custom SMBIOS.plist under /Extra as well. And Chameleon 2 RC2 (was using the netkas 10.1 /boot with it).

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

This and wingrunr's thread are brilliant!

just a question, how did u install a kext if get a Kernel Panic just after booting?

incompatibility with IOATAFamily.kext/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext with snow leo.

only option is copying entire IOATAFamily.kext over from leopard which will only work in 32-bit mode

at this stage, hopefully with the 10.6 sources released as they are now, someone may be able to formulate a solution and recompile a working snow kext for us

only option is copying entire IOATAFamily.kext over from leopard which will only work in 32-bit mode

at this stage, hopefully with the 10.6 sources released as they are now, someone may be able to formulate a solution and recompile a working snow kext for us

I would have thought that the one in /E/E would have overridden the one in the IOATA Plugins...

The next issue I seem to have is that I cannot change the owner on any files on the SnowLeopard disk at all from my 10.5.7 install...

Have I missed something here? I get the feeling I have missed some step...

Thanks again.

I found this over in the Snow Leopard forum. It is a SL version of the offending kext:

look HERE

ATM: installing Snow Kitty on the M1530 is NOT a good idea as it crashes DAMN often.

It's plain unusable.I would suggest M1530 users to wait a while until there's a at least 10.6.1 or something like that.

Till then, wait and enjoy Leopard...

Adam

P.S.: It's not even worth installing.Not yet.

I have Snow Leopard working on my Dell Inspiron 1525. What is not working is sleep (power plugged in) and my keyboard is setup wrong (tilde key is §). Anyone know how I can fix the keyboard? Make it standard US Keyboard 101. Like how it was in 10.5.6.

post-19647-1251787272_thumb.png

Thanks for all the help you have shared.

I've installed iatkos v7 on my xps m1530

I'm about 90% satisfied.

I say 90% cause my hackintosh connects video perfect to my hdtv, except my audio does not go through. Also my shutdown/restart hangs and my SD card reader does not work. Would I have to reinstall iatkos and change some settings? or is there a way i can just install or change some settings w/o doing a fresh install?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the GREAT WORK!

-Dave

ATM: installing Snow Kitty on the M1530 is NOT a good idea as it crashes DAMN often.

It's plain unusable.I would suggest M1530 users to wait a while until there's a at least 10.6.1 or something like that.

Till then, wait and enjoy Leopard...

Adam

P.S.: It's not even worth installing.Not yet.

I'm running it now. Although no IOATAFamily.kext installed at all, so no DVD Drive, not a big deal really.

Seems fairly stable so far, sleep works out of the box with the right DSDT as does Speed Step.

I'm running it now. Although no IOATAFamily.kext installed at all, so no DVD Drive, not a big deal really.

Seems fairly stable so far, sleep works out of the box with the right DSDT as does Speed Step.

Brett, Is there any possibility that you could upload your extensions and DSDT.aml?

I'm getting kernel panics immediately on boot, and I know I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. And the beautiful thing about laptops is the DSDT.aml will work across all of a given model.

Thanks for the help!

Brett, Is there any possibility that you could upload your extensions and DSDT.aml?

I'm getting kernel panics immediately on boot, and I know I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. And the beautiful thing about laptops is the DSDT.aml will work across all of a given model.

Thanks for the help!

No worries. DSDT is based on a T9300 with the pstates taken directly from my my laptop via acpidump. It is based on Brad's and Chrysaor's.

DSDT.aml.zip

The Extensions are thanks to Josh, they are all i386 / x86_64 compiled so will work in 32 or 64bit mode.

Extensions.zip

I have a problem with the DSDT not bringing the LHS USB ports online all the time, I don't have a rhyme or reason, I think it is due to the HPET and Native Speed Step...

Hey guys,

I installed iATKOS v7 on my dell xps m1530. Everything works fine except for the shutdown/sleep features but I am not too worried abut that that. There is a problem thought. I cant play full screen videos. The playback is so laggy when I make it full screen. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

I created a preboot cd for installing snow, and decided to share it with you. It is in its infancy and specifically designed for my Dell XPS M1330. It is straighforward, insert and boot from it - when chameleon screen completes loading, eject the cd and insert the Snow Leopard dvd and wait for approx one minute. Then press F5 and if all goes well you will see the DVD as an icon. Choose it and off you go.

TODO:

-Use 64 bit (it is 32 bit due to the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from 10.5)

-Use DSDT.aml, some issues with chameleon still prevails

-Fix gfx and audio

-Other minor fixes

Dell Preboot ISO

Superhai's, to my surprise your bootloader works on my Asus P5L-MX mobo machine! I've tried at least 7 or 8 other bootloader most didn't work at all . Yours is the first that let me do the install and works! I need to use the bootloader every time to startup. I've no idea if SL drive would work with the older Chameleon versions or not. thanks

I created a preboot cd for installing snow, and decided to share it with you. It is in its infancy and specifically designed for my Dell XPS M1330. It is straighforward, insert and boot from it - when chameleon screen completes loading, eject the cd and insert the Snow Leopard dvd and wait for approx one minute. Then press F5 and if all goes well you will see the DVD as an icon. Choose it and off you go.

TODO:

-Use 64 bit (it is 32 bit due to the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from 10.5)

-Use DSDT.aml, some issues with chameleon still prevails

-Fix gfx and audio

-Other minor fixes

Dell Preboot ISO

would this work on a dell xps m1710. thanks