[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

- When I disconnect the VGA it doesn't appear that the OS recognizes I removed the display. I have the external monitor showing the menu bar, so I'm left with an empty screen on my laptop display. Is there a way for it to autodetect, or a script I can run before/after to re-detect the displays?

Noe that I know of. i suggest you mirror display before unplugging the monitor.

- Is there a fix to enable the memory card reader? Not a huge deal, but if that is working I'll have everything but restart/shutdown/sleep and ethernet.

Thanks in advance!

Read wingrunr21's guide. You will find it linked in the post I sent you to for the VGA. It has the details. Both the ethernet and the SD card reader work. For the ethernet you will have to correct the mac address for it to work properly.

Hey guys,

Has anyone tested FireWire on XPS M1330?? System Profiler can detect the FW chip, but I tried to plug a camcorder and hard drive and none of them worked!

Any Idea? I tried 6 to 4 pin cable and 4 to 4 pin (just for DV camcorder) cable... nothing happened!

<br />Hey guys,<br /><br />Has anyone tested FireWire on XPS M1330?? System Profiler can detect the FW chip, but I tried to plug a camcorder and hard drive and none of them worked! <br /><br />Any Idea? I tried 6 to 4 pin cable and 4 to 4 pin (just for DV camcorder) cable... nothing happened!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It's always worked for me, even transferred files from an MBP in TDM using firewire.

I've been out of the scene for a while and was hoping someone could bring me up to date on what's happend since Februaryish. From what I've read DSDT now does video, audio, and a few other things, but there's still no trackpad scrolling or microphone?

<br /><br /><br />

It's always worked for me, even transferred files from an MBP in TDM using firewire.

I've been out of the scene for a while and was hoping someone could bring me up to date on what's happend since Februaryish. From what I've read DSDT now does video, audio, and a few other things, but there's still no trackpad scrolling or microphone?

Hum... Since you have M1530, so it should be M1330 issue!! anyone tried it on M1330?

Just install iDeneb with the minimum you can and then use the Sonotone Dell installer pack to get everything else working. You don't need to reinstall now though, you can run the Sonotone pack with what you have. The sound may take some work but I can let you have my kexts if you get stuck.

The link to the Sonotone pack is:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...66&hl=m1530

Just use the 1.4.1 version. That should give you all you need.

As for the wifi, pretty much everyone is installing the Dell wireless G internal card to get wifi. It works without any additional kexts as an airport card. There's room for 2 cards in the xps1530 but I removed the Intel one anyway. It won't be any better than the usb one you have but means you don't have to keep plugging it in ^_^

Hope this helps.

Hello everyone, its my first post here, but I've been reading these forums for quite a while ^_^

I finally decided to install OSX on my laptop, and my distribution of choice is iDeneb.

It all went well up till the point of installiation, and choosing the proper packages.

For video i chose nvinject 256MB and then i selected vanilla kernel.

But for the rest, I have no idea what to choose :D I've been browsing this whole topic and did not find any info.

Here is my system:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache)

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium

Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 667 MHz

Screen: 1680x1050 LCD with 2.0 MP Webcam

Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Hard Drive: 250GB 5400RPM SATA

Sound Card: Sigmatel Integrated

Wireless: Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini-card

Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal 2.0

I bought an usb wifi dongle, because I red that there are no kexts for the integrated card

Wifi dongle: Netgear WG111 Wireless 54Mbps

My distribution version is 1.4 10.5.6

Does anyone have a simmilar system and can help me with my problem? I will greatly appreciate that! :rolleyes:

Regards,

moa

I have installed ideneb 1.4

I have m1530

4gb ram

8600 256mb

DVD rw drive

After installation i do not have a DVD drive?

I can see my HD and usb drives, but no dvd drive

Sound, Video, Keyboard trackpad and wireless all work great.

Missing DVD drive and restart only thing I am I would like to get working.

Thanks for any ideas.

Just a heads up to everyone that hasn't heard. There are pretty strong rumors brewing that 10.5.7 is supposed to hit software update this Friday. IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING RETAIL/DON'T 100% KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING DON'T INSTALL IT IMMEDIATELY! Wait to make sure it won't kill your system!

Just a heads up to everyone that hasn't heard. There are pretty strong rumors brewing that 10.5.7 is supposed to hit software update this Friday. IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING RETAIL/DON'T 100% KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING DON'T INSTALL IT IMMEDIATELY! Wait to make sure it won't kill your system!

What he said!!!

Winrunr21...have you got any update/traction on the internal built-in ethernet for the m1330? last i heard, you've been 'working' on developing one?! Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks again!

Winrunr21...have you got any update/traction on the internal built-in ethernet for the m1330? last i heard, you've been 'working' on developing one?! Feedback is appreciated.

Yes. I just talked to a driver guru yesterday and asked him to explain some of the things I was having difficulty figuring out. I should start development on it again in the near future.

Out of curiosity, have you had any luck with getting your card to show up in the menu bar? I see what looks like it should be my card's icon, but it says "The Card was not detected" when you click on it. Other than that it works, it's just a minor inconvenience.

Someone does find a solution to seed the WWAN card into the menu bar ?

Thanks in advance?

Hey everyone, well i am here with a problem.

I have kalyway installed, 10.5.2 and everything is working but shutdown sleep and restart. Those really aren't my concern i can fix them, i am having problems with the sound. I am using the HDA patch 1.20 using code_dump 9228 . Now when i drag it to the HDA it "installs" and then tells me to reboot, and i do and when it comers back there is no sound with or without head sets. It is not being reconized even after the install . any help?

has anyone gotten sleep to work at all? under what circumstances? my specs are below. iATKOS 5i vanilla 9.5 kernel

After a few more days of searching and testing it twice, here is what I did.

Get VoodooUSBEHCI from http://superhai.com/darwin.html and install following the readme

Install ClamshellDisplay.kext from the latest Dell Post Installer from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97966

After OSX86Tools makes you reboot, hop into bios setup and disable USB Wake (or whatever its called)

Reboot and you should be good to go. Hit the power button to wake or open the lid if you closed it to sleep.

I used the vanilla 10.5.5 kernel from the official apple update.

Just installed 10.5.7. Since I have VoodooHDA installed I had to remove AppleHDA from /S/L/E. I also had to re-edit AppleUSBEHCI.kext. Otherwise the update went smoothly.

Superhai, I'm getting errors upon the loading of VoodooEHCI:

May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooUSBEHCI.kext: [Error] unable to get filterInterruptEventSource
May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooUSBEHCI.kext: [Error] UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: USBF:	0.578	VoodooUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM
May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: USBF:	0.579	AppleUSBEHCI[0x6e7d000]: unable to get filterInterruptEventSource
May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: USBF:	0.587	AppleUSBEHCI[0x6e7d000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: USBF:	0.597	AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

The kext loads and seems to work correctly but those get printed out.

wingrunr21, I have also updated to 10.5.7 on my xps 1530 and it seems to be working fine. I installed iatkos5i using the vanilla kernel following your guide. My question concerns vga output on this machine. According to System Profiler I have the following:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI Slot 1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0427

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Built-In: Yes

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

In reality, I have an 8400GS. When I connect my external display, I get no video on boot. If I connect after boot and "detect displays", everything goes black. I am not running NVinject, although I have tried. When I do I lose hardware acceleration and QE. Quartz GL remains supported. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

Just installed 10.5.7. Since I have VoodooHDA installed I had to remove AppleHDA from /S/L/E. I also had to re-edit AppleUSBEHCI.kext. Otherwise the update went smoothly.

Superhai, I'm getting errors upon the loading of VoodooEHCI:

May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooUSBEHCI.kext: [Error] unable to get filterInterruptEventSource
 May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooUSBEHCI.kext: [Error] UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
 May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: USBF:	0.578	VoodooUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM
 May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: USBF:	0.579	AppleUSBEHCI[0x6e7d000]: unable to get filterInterruptEventSource
 May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: USBF:	0.587	AppleUSBEHCI[0x6e7d000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
 May 12 22:51:13 localhost kernel[0]: USBF:	0.597	AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

The kext loads and seems to work correctly but those get printed out.

wingrunr,

Forgive me if this has been asked before but what are the advantages of using VoodooHDA over talisman's AppleHDA.kext? It appears my sound is working fine after the 10.5.7 upgrade although I need to do a -V (when I get home from work today) to see if there's any errors that come up.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Nevermind...Google Search is my friend. Do you have the Mic working perfectly with VoodooHDA now? is the sound output 'lower' using this kext over talisman's AppleHDA.kext?

Sorry for the repetitive questions but I'm catching up since I haven't been on the board for a couple of months now.

if you use VoodooHDA AppleHDA shouldn't be removed, you only need to get rid of the enabler (HDAenabler, EFI strings or other).

HDAenabler needs edit to work on 10.5.7

actual HDAenabler info.plist says:

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>
	<string>6.9.9</string>

need to say:

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>
	<string>7.9.9</string>

Brandon 2004 has an updated dsdt.aml that fixes VGA out. It still thinks I have an 8600m, but it works great. File is in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...9654&st=380

wingrunr21, I have also updated to 10.5.7 on my xps 1530 and it seems to be working fine. I installed iatkos5i using the vanilla kernel following your guide. My question concerns vga output on this machine. According to System Profiler I have the following:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI Slot 1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0427

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Built-In: Yes

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

In reality, I have an 8400GS. When I connect my external display, I get no video on boot. If I connect after boot and "detect displays", everything goes black. I am not running NVinject, although I have tried. When I do I lose hardware acceleration and QE. Quartz GL remains supported. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

I updated to 10.5.7 and everything working great with the exception of a few minor problems. My first and probably not a big deal is that it takes a little longer to boot up now, probably not a big deal as long as it is loading up. My other problem is System Profiler is displaying the information right and "There was an error while gathering this information" how do I fix this problem.

I updated to 10.5.7 and everything working great with the exception of a few minor problems. My first and probably not a big deal is that it takes a little longer to boot up now, probably not a big deal as long as it is loading up. My other problem is System Profiler is displaying the information right and "There was an error while gathering this information" how do I fix this problem.

Follow instructions here to fix:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1155698

Hey all, M1330 question here.

I'm pretty fresh at this OSX86 thing, but I've been learning quickly by reading through these forums. I have experience with various flavors of Ubuntu and Debian, but am a little baffled by this:

I am having trouble even with the basic install of the various hacked distros - I've tried iAtkos 4i, 5i, iPC 10.5.6, and Leo4AllV3. When I first try to even boot from the CD to the installer, I get a either a kernel panic related to AHCI or a halt at the IOAPIC checkpoint...I've tried platform=x86pc and cpus=1/cpus=2 as flags, but I can't seem to find any combo that works.

Should I try a different distro? Should I burn at an even slower speed than 4x? Are there different flags to try? I can take screenshots if need be.

Specs:

M1330

Core 2 Duo T7250

2GB DDR2

NVidia 8400M

160GB Hitachi SATA-300 HDD

Dell Wireless 1490 (Broadcom)

I appreciate any help in this...I'm eager to get the installer working so I can finally play around with this, and above all get to developing iPhone apps!

Hey all, M1330 question here.

I'm pretty fresh at this OSX86 thing, but I've been learning quickly by reading through these forums. I have experience with various flavors of Ubuntu and Debian, but am a little baffled by this:

I am having trouble even with the basic install of the various hacked distros - I've tried iAtkos 4i, 5i, iPC 10.5.6, and Leo4AllV3. When I first try to even boot from the CD to the installer, I get a either a kernel panic related to AHCI or a halt at the IOAPIC checkpoint...I've tried platform=x86pc and cpus=1/cpus=2 as flags, but I can't seem to find any combo that works.

Should I try a different distro? Should I burn at an even slower speed than 4x? Are there different flags to try? I can take screenshots if need be.

Specs:

M1330

Core 2 Duo T7250

2GB DDR2

NVidia 8400M

160GB Hitachi SATA-300 HDD

I appreciate any help in this...I'm eager to get the installer working so I can finally play around with this, and above all get to developing iPhone apps!

Follow this guide to the tooth...it will get you where you want to go with our m1330s:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119654

thank wingrunr for it...good luck!