[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the help getting Snow Leopard on the m1330 so far. Big thanks to Superhai as usual for the head start :D

So far I have the following working in Snow Leopard:

- Retail Vanilla 10.6.1

- Sound (partial with VoodooHDA, manual output selection required, not as good as old AppleHDA)

- Graphics QE/CI (8400M GS 128mb)

- 2 Finger scroll (VoodooPS2Controller + prefpane)

- Wifi (from dell wifi card, not intel)

Still not working:

- Sleep

- Shutdown/restart

- Good battery life (I didn't even have this on Leopard)

- Perfect sound (I miss the auto-switching from AppleHDA)

For those who want a quick rundown of how I got to this stage...

- Started with Superhai's latest boot CD iso (v0.2)

- Modified the retail Snow Leopard install DVD to install to MBR (so I can dual boot Win 7)

- Upgraded Leopard to Snow Leopard with help from Superhai's boot CD

- Booted into 10.6.0 with boot CD and re-installed MacLoader to EFI partition (more details here)

- Updated MacLoader partition to latest version with latest chameleon

- Removed ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, replaced these with VoodooPS2Controller.kext

- 2-Finger scroll works now

- Updated to 10.6.1 through software update

- Removed NVResolver.kext and added the following to my chameleon boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>

- Rebooted and this enabled graphics, no injector or EFI string required (they should not be used), chameleon does all the work of detecting the nvidia card

I also noticed that with this method, the graphics performs well right after boot up, unlike previously when the screen needed to turn off and back on for the graphics performance to improve.

Also note that Superhai's boot CD includes the VoodooHDA.kext that will give you sound. Remember to enable it in system preferences by selecting speakers as output (if you forget to do this, you might not get sound).

So that's all, everything is working really well now, Snow Leopard is nice and fast. We just need to find a way to make sleep work. Maybe shutdown/restart will never work on m1330 but it would be nice to investigate even more.

Superhai: Good idea about a new thread. This one is getting very long, now that Snow Leopard is out we can start again. I think the m1330 is very close to being a perfect mac, just a few things left to fix.

I hope this helps everyone, if there are any questions about this i'll try to answer them.

Thanks to Densen, i was able to install SL, and fixed GPU/audio issues as well as 2 finger scroll. The only problem now is my CPU stucks at 1.29GHz if i turn speedstep off in bios. If i enable speedstep, stucks 1.16GHz or 2.08GHz.

post-398389-1252965828_thumb.png post-398389-1252966798_thumb.png

Any suggestions are welcome

Thank you!

edit:no voodoopower installed

post-398389-1252966799_thumb.png

Superhai: Good idea about a new thread. This one is getting very long, now that Snow Leopard is out we can start again. I think the m1330 is very close to being a perfect mac, just a few things left to fix.

I have started, but now my poor Dell got the nvidia gpu issue again so i am awaiting a new m/b... oh well...

I have started, but now my poor Dell got the nvidia gpu issue again so i am awaiting a new m/b... oh well...

Hi Superhai,

I really want to try to create one for XPS1530.

Could you please tell me on which forum you will add yours? (Project Snow, InfiniteMac, Hackintosh)

Thanks.

Superhai and to everyone else!

Thank you so much for your assistance in setting up the Dell Boot CD. That was an extremely valuable resource. I wanted to ask you for a piece of advice though.

I finished installing Snow Leopard using your boot cd and the retail snow leopard DVD. I then installed chameleon RC3. However, everytime I try to boot straight from the hard drive, I get a screen saying "you need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it tunrs off, then press the Power button again."

However, if I change the boot order to your CD, I can then boot into snow leopard again. Hope you can help me resolve this problem.

Thanks!

Does anyone have an idea as to how to enable the airport? I initially installed Snow Leopard with the Intel card, but after getting my hands on a Dell 1505 card today, I installed it, but I am unable to enable airport.

Any ideas would be appreciated as always!

Does anyone have an idea as to how to enable the airport? I initially installed Snow Leopard with the Intel card, but after getting my hands on a Dell 1505 card today, I installed it, but I am unable to enable airport.

Any ideas would be appreciated as always!

It should be picked up automatically.

Two places to check:

System Profiler - Under Network - Airport you should see a Third Party Wireless card.

System Preferences - Under Network you should see the Airport connection.

On your laptop which slot did you install it into and is that slot enabled in the BIOS and does the BIOS see the card?

I've got a 1530 and have the original Intel card in the WLAN slot and the 1505 in the WWAN slot and it picked up the 1505 fine after I installed it, if I swap the Intel out for a Atheros card I have as well OSX picks that up straight away (but doesn't have a 64bit kext for it).

Cheers

Brett

It should be picked up automatically.

Two places to check:

System Profiler - Under Network - Airport you should see a Third Party Wireless card.

System Preferences - Under Network you should see the Airport connection.

On your laptop which slot did you install it into and is that slot enabled in the BIOS and does the BIOS see the card?

I've got a 1530 and have the original Intel card in the WLAN slot and the 1505 in the WWAN slot and it picked up the 1505 fine after I installed it, if I swap the Intel out for a Atheros card I have as well OSX picks that up straight away (but doesn't have a 64bit kext for it).

Cheers

Brett

Brett - Thank you! I ended up swapping the 1505 into the WWAN slot and it worked perfectly! I am still not sure why it didn't work in the WLAN slot...

Do you have any idea on how to get the sound working? I tried installing Voodoo HDA, but I still don't have sound.

Thanks for all the help getting Snow Leopard on the m1330 so far. Big thanks to Superhai as usual for the head start :)

So far I have the following working in Snow Leopard:

- Retail Vanilla 10.6.1

- Sound (partial with VoodooHDA, manual output selection required, not as good as old AppleHDA)

- Graphics QE/CI (8400M GS 128mb)

- 2 Finger scroll (VoodooPS2Controller + prefpane)

- Wifi (from dell wifi card, not intel)

Still not working:

- Sleep

- Shutdown/restart

- Good battery life (I didn't even have this on Leopard)

- Perfect sound (I miss the auto-switching from AppleHDA)

For those who want a quick rundown of how I got to this stage...

- Started with Superhai's latest boot CD iso (v0.2)

- Modified the retail Snow Leopard install DVD to install to MBR (so I can dual boot Win 7)

- Upgraded Leopard to Snow Leopard with help from Superhai's boot CD

- Booted into 10.6.0 with boot CD and re-installed MacLoader to EFI partition (more details here)

- Updated MacLoader partition to latest version with latest chameleon

- Removed ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, replaced these with VoodooPS2Controller.kext

- 2-Finger scroll works now

- Updated to 10.6.1 through software update

- Removed NVResolver.kext and added the following to my chameleon boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>

- Rebooted and this enabled graphics, no injector or EFI string required (they should not be used), chameleon does all the work of detecting the nvidia card

I also noticed that with this method, the graphics performs well right after boot up, unlike previously when the screen needed to turn off and back on for the graphics performance to improve.

Also note that Superhai's boot CD includes the VoodooHDA.kext that will give you sound. Remember to enable it in system preferences by selecting speakers as output (if you forget to do this, you might not get sound).

So that's all, everything is working really well now, Snow Leopard is nice and fast. We just need to find a way to make sleep work. Maybe shutdown/restart will never work on m1330 but it would be nice to investigate even more.

I hope this helps everyone, if there are any questions about this i'll try to answer them.

How did you get sound working? Would you mind posting a few more details for noobs like me?

I followed exactly what densen did since we have similar setups. I was able to successfully install Snow Leopard, but after I try to boot it, even from superhai's bootcd I get the KP pictured. I've tried booting in safe mode, arch=i386, tried a kextcache boot. I remembered that if the sleepenabler.kext was still in the S/L/E folder you would get a panic, so I booted off the CD and removed it using terminal. I'm not sure if this is what is causing the KP or what. If someone could give me some advice, I've tried everything I could and can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.

post-388823-1253048973_thumb.jpg

Brett - Thank you! I ended up swapping the 1505 into the WWAN slot and it worked perfectly! I am still not sure why it didn't work in the WLAN slot...

Do you have any idea on how to get the sound working? I tried installing Voodoo HDA, but I still don't have sound.

Here is the VoodooHDA.kext I use for 64bit SL (many thanks to the Voodoo Team and who ever recompiled for a 32bit / 64bit universal binary).

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

I have this under /Extra/Extensions (make sure you change the permissions to 755 and the user:group to root:wheel).

I have also removed the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext as well to ensure it doesn't try to load as well.

Notes:

- You will have to manually unload and load the kext when returning from sleep (this is a known bug, not a biggie).

- If it doesn't load on boot, you may need to redo the /Extra/Extensions.mkext cache.

- The attached kext here has the logging set back to minimal as I wasn't interested in having all those messages in the logs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brett

I followed exactly what densen did since we have similar setups. I was able to successfully install Snow Leopard, but after I try to boot it, even from superhai's bootcd I get the KP pictured. I've tried booting in safe mode, arch=i386, tried a kextcache boot. I remembered that if the sleepenabler.kext was still in the S/L/E folder you would get a panic, so I booted off the CD and removed it using terminal. I'm not sure if this is what is causing the KP or what. If someone could give me some advice, I've tried everything I could and can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.

post-388823-1253048973_thumb.jpg

Rebuild your kext cache (as root or vi sudo) after removing the offending kext. Or try to boot with a -f flag.

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Cheers

Brett

Rebuild your kext cache (as root or vi sudo) after removing the offending kext. Or try to boot with a -f flag.

Brett, thanks for the very prompt response. I'm in terminal from the SL DVD, but when I try to use sudo, it gives me the error: -bash: sudo: command not found. I'm unsure how to get around this.

Much appreciated for your help.

Brett, thanks for the very prompt response. I'm in terminal from the SL DVD, but when I try to use sudo, it gives me the error: -bash: sudo: command not found. I'm unsure how to get around this.

Much appreciated for your help.

You should already be root if booted from an install DVD...

I created a preboot cd for installing snow, and decided to share it with you. It is in its infancy and specifically designed for my Dell XPS M1330. It is straighforward, insert and boot from it - when chameleon screen completes loading, eject the cd and insert the Snow Leopard dvd and wait for approx one minute. Then press F5 and if all goes well you will see the DVD as an icon. Choose it and off you go.

TODO:

-Use 64 bit (it is 32 bit due to the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from 10.5)

-Use DSDT.aml, some issues with chameleon still prevails

-Fix gfx and audio

-Other minor fixes

Dell Preboot ISO

If I did this, could I still dual boot Windows?

How did you get sound working? Would you mind posting a few more details for noobs like me?

VoodooHDA.kext is all you need to get sound working. Once you have it in your kext folder (which ever method you use), it will make new devices show up in the audio output. Hold down "option" (or windows key) and click the volume control in the menu bar, then select speaker or audio jack. If it doesn't show up, go to system preferences > audio > output, then select the speakers/jack as the output device, increase the volume, you should have sound. If no devices show up, VoodooHDA isn't loading, or you're not using the same audio device as I am.

If I did this, could I still dual boot Windows?

I did this and still dual boot. If windows is already installed on another partition and you're using MBR style partition on your drive, you will need to search google on how to modify the SL install DVD to install to MBR. Then once you configure chameleon, which will overwrite the bootloader and prevent you from booting to windows, you can either configure chameleon to boot windows, or use the windows DVD to put the windows bootloader back, then use easyBCD to add mac to the windows bootloader.

Make sure you have your partitions setup correctly before installing SL. If you're planning on using a MacLoader style retail install, you'll need an extra (small) partition for that on top of the Mac/Windows ones.

I created a preboot cd for installing snow, and decided to share it with you. It is in its infancy and specifically designed for my Dell XPS M1330. It is straighforward, insert and boot from it - when chameleon screen completes loading, eject the cd and insert the Snow Leopard dvd and wait for approx one minute. Then press F5 and if all goes well you will see the DVD as an icon. Choose it and off you go.

TODO:

-Use 64 bit (it is 32 bit due to the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from 10.5)

-Use DSDT.aml, some issues with chameleon still prevails

-Fix gfx and audio

-Other minor fixes

Dell Preboot ISO

Could I use this as a retail dvd, or do I have to use this?

And can I still install everything that is mac only if I did this? Like install Final Cut and stuff like that?

You should already be root if booted from an install DVD...

Thanks for your patience with me. I got rid of the kernel panic, except now it just hangs at the apple logo. The part it hangs on is as follows "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized."

This has got to be something with AppleIntelPowerManagement.

Thanks again for the help all.

Here is the VoodooHDA.kext I use for 64bit SL (many thanks to the Voodoo Team and who ever recompiled for a 32bit / 64bit universal binary).

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

I have this under /Extra/Extensions (make sure you change the permissions to 755 and the user:group to root:wheel).

I have also removed the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext as well to ensure it doesn't try to load as well.

Notes:

- You will have to manually unload and load the kext when returning from sleep (this is a known bug, not a biggie).

- If it doesn't load on boot, you may need to redo the /Extra/Extensions.mkext cache.

- The attached kext here has the logging set back to minimal as I wasn't interested in having all those messages in the logs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brett

----

Brett thanks for your prompt response. Sorry for the noob questions, but how do I change the permissions to 755 and the user:group to root:wheel. I am new to using terminal, so if you would be able to supply a step-by-step, I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks!

VoodooHDA.kext is all you need to get sound working. Once you have it in your kext folder (which ever method you use), it will make new devices show up in the audio output. Hold down "option" (or windows key) and click the volume control in the menu bar, then select speaker or audio jack. If it doesn't show up, go to system preferences > audio > output, then select the speakers/jack as the output device, increase the volume, you should have sound. If no devices show up, VoodooHDA isn't loading, or you're not using the same audio device as I am.

Hey Brett,

Firstly, thanks for all your work. Secondly, are you using VoodooHDA to recognize a Sigmatel 9228 chip? I've got everything running well on an Inspiron 1420 (almost identical to both the 1330 and 1530), but sound won't work with any method I've tried. Just curious. Thanks.

Mike

danka i had the same problem as you so i edited my dsdt file to not include the sound codec identifier and now it works. i've attached it. see if it works for you. rename dsdt.aml.bmp to dsdt.aml this dsdt file is for dell m1530 btw.

Hey Jvillia,

Thanks for the reply. Although your included dsdt didn't work (probably too different), I did edit my dsdt to remove the sound identifier. Now voodooHDA works, albeit only through the headphone jack. It's a start though. Thanks!

Hey Jvillia,

Thanks for the reply. Although your included dsdt didn't work (probably too different), I did edit my dsdt to remove the sound identifier. Now voodooHDA works, albeit only through the headphone jack. It's a start though. Thanks!

What DSDT.aml are you using? Same goes for all having problems with sound. You will need to make sure you run one that has changed the AZAL tags to HDEF and also inject some other bits...