[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hi there. Thanks to everyone for keeping this alive, I have longed to get OSX on my XPS M1330, it seems we are so close.

I have downloaded Superhai's 10.6 v0.4 DellSnowCD, I boot from this and I can see DellSnowCD in the middle of the screen, when I press enter to load, I get "Can't find Mach_kernel"

Hi Colin,

have you found a solution for you problem. I tried the installation with a SL upgrade CD and got the same error "Can't find Mach_kernel" - not sure if the upgrade cd is the problem.

Best regards,

Michael

Hi Colin,

have you found a solution for you problem. I tried the installation with a SL upgrade CD and got the same error "Can't find Mach_kernel" - not sure if the upgrade cd is the problem.

Best regards,

Michael

You just have to restore your retail dvd with the disk utility of an working mac to a hard disk.

Then you could use a pre boot cd (e.g. the one of superhai). There you could select the partition where SL is resored and simply install it. Don't worry when installation "fails". SL is installt and bootable with the preboot cd.

BTW: SL works perfectly on a m1330!

Woooot!!!!

Shutdown works???!!!

You means sleep works, right?

Well, my computer shutsdown, and very quick! But i dont know if it's done corecttly. Here is what i find in my system.log:

age repeated 1 time ---

Oct 8 00:39:33 *-MacBook-Pro loginwindow[29]: DEAD_PROCESS: 29 console

Oct 8 00:39:33 *-MacBook-Pro shutdown[130]: halt by anders:

Oct 8 00:39:33 *-MacBook-Pro shutdown[130]: SHUTDOWN_TIME: 1254955173 650592

Oct 8 00:39:33 *-MacBook-Pro mDNSResponder[28]: mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-212.1 (Jul 24 2009 22:34:12) stopping

Oct 8 00:39:33 *-MacBook-Pro ntpd_initres[125]: ntpd exiting on signal 15

Oct 8 00:39:33 *-MacBook-Pro WindowServer[69]: hidd died. Reestablishing connection.

Oct 8 00:39:33 *-MacBook-Pro WindowServer[69]: bootstrap_look_ip failed: Unknown service name

Sleep does not work, when i press sleep button the only thing that happens is that my mouse dissapears, nothing else. Reboot does not work either. When I try to reboot my screen turns blue and showing a loading spinner icon.

Hey Guys. First of all thanks a lot for all the hard work.

I got Leopard runnin now but don't really get how to install Chameleon and all the Kexts. I've read all the Posts but somehow just don't get it. Sorry. Chould someone please try to lay it out real simple in a summary what needs to be done once Leopard is installed. And possibly a detailed collection of all additional software needed.

I've got pretty much the same setup as Superhai.

XPS M1330 Core 2 DUO T7500 2.2GHz

4GB Ram

8400M GS

Intel Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g

So far I can't get the following to work:

-Boot without CD

-Chameleon

-Kexts

-Wireless

-Audio

-USB (occasionally works!?!?)

-Powermanagement

-and obviously everything you guysare still stuck on

Thank's a lot for your help.

(Sorry for being a bit of a noob... -_- )

Hey Guys. First of all thanks a lot for all the hard work.

I got Leopard runnin now but don't really get how to install Chameleon and all the Kexts. I've read all the Posts but somehow just don't get it. Sorry. Chould someone please try to lay it out real simple in a summary what needs to be done once Leopard is installed. And possibly a detailed collection of all additional software needed.

I've got pretty much the same setup as Superhai.

XPS M1330 Core 2 DUO T7500 2.2GHz

4GB Ram

8400M GS

Intel Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g

So far I can't get the following to work:

-Boot without CD

-Chameleon

-Kexts

-Wireless

-Audio

-USB (occasionally works!?!?)

-Powermanagement

-and obviously everything you guysare still stuck on

Thank's a lot for your help.

(Sorry for being a bit of a noob... ;) )

stick with leopard for now.

If anyone is still unaware, the 2 Finger Scroll is now operational on XPS M1530 under the Snow Leopard (10.6.1) by a way of the modified (VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext) VoodooPS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.

While I am unsure as to who exactly achieved this fix, I am willing to share it with the community if anyone is interested.

I have an M1330. Last night I used it to start my first ever attempt making it a hackintosh. I was able to do so easily using all of the information and utilities posted on this site. I installed Snow Leopard on it and it boots just fine from the hard drive.

I performed a Vanilla installation, and all of my hardware is working except for my sound, two finger scrolling, and sleep. I am using Chameleon 2.0 RC3 as my bootloader.

Sound:

I have tried loading every STAC9228 .kext I can find, but none of them seem to work. I also haven't been able to verify that anyone has sound working on the M1330 with SL.

Two Finger Scrolling:

I have installed the VoodooPS2 kext, but still no joy. When I examine my active .kexts, it shows com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite as being loaded, and system preferences shows that I have a mouse installed, not a trackpad.

Sleep:

No one has this working, right? I can do shutdowns but I can't get it to sleep.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for a solution to any of these problems, that would be greeat.

I have an M1330. Last night I used it to start my first ever attempt making it a hackintosh. I was able to do so easily using all of the information and utilities posted on this site. I installed Snow Leopard on it and it boots just fine from the hard drive.

I performed a Vanilla installation, and all of my hardware is working except for my sound, two finger scrolling, and sleep. I am using Chameleon 2.0 RC3 as my bootloader.

Sound:

I have tried loading every STAC9228 .kext I can find, but none of them seem to work. I also haven't been able to verify that anyone has sound working on the M1330 with SL.

Two Finger Scrolling:

I have installed the VoodooPS2 kext, but still no joy. When I examine my active .kexts, it shows com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite as being loaded, and system preferences shows that I have a mouse installed, not a trackpad.

Sleep:

No one has this working, right? I can do shutdowns but I can't get it to sleep.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for a solution to any of these problems, that would be greeat.

A modified 9228 AppleHDA kext works but only for speakers and line out. BUT, the best option I saw is modified VoodooHDA @ projectosx. With the new file, internal mic is working, line out is working. Speakers are working. I had to delete the original applehda and only have VoodooHDA (in S/L/E) to get it to work. I got a KP if I had the original or modified applehda.kext in /Extra or /S/L/E. Even renaming to.orig/bak ='s a KP so I removed it and just use VodooHDA for audio. BTw, it detects HDMI as well! I haven't tested hdmi gfx out and audio out yet.

Two fingerscrolling works with a modified VoodooPS2 file, I believe it it also available @ projectosx.

How did you get shutdown to work???? I have to press the powerbutton to shutdown the system.

I have sleep working, I believe a DSDT is required to get it working. It worked after I used one that works with my specific processor. Hibernate/Deep-Sleep use to work with EFI v9 + DSDT but the new chameleon won't work wake after going into deep sleep even after using ForceWakey=y.

A modified 9228 AppleHDA kext works but only for speakers and line out. BUT, the best option I saw is modified VoodooHDA @ projectosx. With the new file, internal mic is working, line out is working. Speakers are working. I had to delete the original applehda and only have VoodooHDA (in S/L/E) to get it to work. I got a KP if I had the original or modified applehda.kext in /Extra or /S/L/E. Even renaming to.orig/bak ='s a KP so I removed it and just use VodooHDA for audio. BTw, it detects HDMI as well! I haven't tested hdmi gfx out and audio out yet.

Two fingerscrolling works with a modified VoodooPS2 file, I believe it it also available @ projectosx.

How did you get shutdown to work???? I have to press the powerbutton to shutdown the system.

I have sleep working, I believe a DSDT is required to get it working. It worked after I used one that works with my specific processor. Hibernate/Deep-Sleep use to work with EFI v9 + DSDT but the new chameleon won't work wake after going into deep sleep even after using ForceWakey=y.

I can't say how I got shutdown working. I'm pretty sure that I'm loading my kext files the wrong way. But I can't figure out the right way, b/c there are so many ways to load them. My shutdown started working for me once I got Chameleon on the HD to boot SL.

I installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3. I tried the auto-installer, but it kept failing. So I followed the manual directions and loaded Chameleon on my SL partition. Then I kept getting the kernel panic. So, I booted with the DellSnow CD and copied all of the files inside of Preboot.dmg/Extra/Extensions to my /Extra/Extensions/ folder just so I could load SL without the DellSnow disc. Once I did that, I could boot SL without DellSnow and shutdown worked. Reset and Sleep do not work.

To install .kext files, I have tried dragging them to my /Extra/Extensions folder, the Kext Utility, and Kext Helper b7. No matter which method I use to install new kext files, they're never running when I check them with KextSpy. I have tried removing the ApplePS2Controller.kext from my /Extra/Extensions folder, but then my mouse and keyboard do not work. So I can remove .kexts, I just can't get new ones to load.

Lastnight was my first attempt at loading any Mac OS onto a PC, so I still have a lot to learn. I think that if I can figure out how to properly install a .kext, I might be able to get my sound and 2 finger scrolling to work.

Hi,

what is the differenz between an upgrade and a retail dvd? I have bought an upgrade from amazon butthe package is labeled with retail.

The problem is that I have the "Can't find Mach_kernel" problem and I am not sure if it is the wrong dvd. Can I somehow check using windows if I have the right dvd?

Thanks a lot!

Michael

Hi Colin,

Best regards,

Michael

Hi Michael, yes my SL 10.6.0 is working, to the point where I need to fix the bits that doesnt work. When I got the Mach_Kernel error, it was a user error (my own error) I had to remove the SnowCD and replace with the Retail SL dvd, I pressed F5 to refresh the drive and the I needed to select the OSX disc to boot. I installed all the way through (rather slow install) however as I think I posted already, USB doesn't work, no sound, no lan or wi-fi.

However as I am away from home, I ordered of the 'bay' a Apple / Dell 1505 wireless card that I will install when I get home at the end of the month, If I can get the webcam to work properly then great, it lights up, but I get a black picture.

Anyway, I hope this is a little help all the same. hang in there, I am sure it will be worth it. There are many trying to help us all get this working. If only Apple made the products within the reach of the not so wealthy I am sure they would have more sales? Anyway, ranting now...

Hi,

I am now on 10.5.7 with iatkos v7 and everything works amazingly with my xps 1530.. and if I can get the sleep to work that would save the day..

I don't really care about the shutdown/restart problem at the moment.. ill easily shut it down manually..no problem..

But is there any way I can get sleep to work after installing the OS or do I have to do a clean installation with all the correct drivers checked..?

If I CAN make it work after installation, please let me know :D

And if I CAN'T make it work after installation please let me know which drivers I need to check in iatkos...

This last time I only checked:

- nvInject from old enablers

- ps2 to make keyboard and such..

- all the defaults...

Please help me... I really need this sleep to work once and for all....

peace

Hi,

I am now on 10.5.7 with iatkos v7 and everything works amazingly with my xps 1530.. and if I can get the sleep to work that would save the day..

I don't really care about the shutdown/restart problem at the moment.. ill easily shut it down manually..no problem..

But is there any way I can get sleep to work after installing the OS or do I have to do a clean installation with all the correct drivers checked..?

If I CAN make it work after installation, please let me know :ninja:

And if I CAN'T make it work after installation please let me know which drivers I need to check in iatkos...

This last time I only checked:

- nvInject from old enablers

- ps2 to make keyboard and such..

- all the defaults...

Please help me... I really need this sleep to work once and for all....

peace

10.5.7 was perfect for me...

1) http://superhai.com/darwin.html go here and download VoodooUSBEHCI, READ the instructions in the text file

2) Repair permission with Kext Utility

3) Install PCEfi V9, it worked best for me, I was also able to go into Deep-Sleep / Hibernate

5) Have a DSDT in / not /Extra The DSDT can be generic for m1530 or it can be specific to your processor.

6) Go into terminal and set permissions for DSDT:

sudo -s

cd /

chmod -R 755 boot DSDT.aml

chown -R root:wheel boot DSDT.aml

pmset -a hibernatemode 0

DO NOT TEST SLEEP UNTIL REBOOT!

7) Reboot

8) Test sleep.

Reference:

0 - Legacy sleep mode. It will save everything to RAM upon sleeping but does not support "Safe Sleep". Very fast sleep.

1 - Legacy "Safe Sleep". This is the "Safe Sleep". Everything your laptop goes into sleep, it will save everything to harddisk. Slow on Sleep and Startup.

3 - Default. As described above, when sleeping, contents are saved to RAM. When battery runs out, hibernate occurs.

5 - Behaves as 1 but applicable only for modern Mac that uses "Secure virtual memory".

7 - Behaves as 3 but applicable only for modern Mac that uses "Secure virtual memory".

PS: PC EFI v9 does not support secure virtual memory deep-sleep or fast-sleep, with that in mind, choose mode 0 / 1 / or 3. To test hibernate, let the computer go to sleep, take out the battery, plug it back in and it should take a few secs to start where it left off...

hi,

I have a Dell XPSM1530 with the following characteristics :

Core2Duo T8300 2.4 GHz

3 GB DDR2

GForce 8600MGT (1680x1050)

120 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (great hard disk)

Marvell Yukon 88E8040 + Wifi Intel 4965AGN

Double boot : leopard an windows 7

So I would like to install Snow Leopard and I tried superhai preboot cd (v0.2 and 0.4)

but it's always the same scenario, after booting on install DVD I can see the small animation

turning and then the DVD stops making noise and NOTHING.

So generally I end up by pressing power button for 3 seconds.

How can I debug this ?

I also tried to make a new preboot cd adapted to my configuration by using chameleon and extra folder from superhai ' preboot and modifying the default resolution in plist.

UPDATE 1:

It would be interesting to make a dsdt file specific to my configuration and I have started to read

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780.

For people interested please find ACPI tables for my configuration HERE.

UPDATE 2: I started in verbos mode and here is the result darwin.jpg

I am stuck just after stam_tsc was called: 2 times

I also tried to remove the kext named Voodo TSC but it doesn't help, display stops just after IOAPIC

UPDATE 3 : IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only removed dsdt section from plist and delete dsdt.aml.

So now I need to build a custom DSDT ...

Hi Superhi,

I have a question, I used your cd image to boot my SnowLeopard and now I had installed, I'm using Ubuntu and Snow Leoaprd in the same HD.

The thing is that I tried with all version of chameleon, the chameleon menu load perfectly, but no one boot, all gave me kernel panic. I'm putting the boot files in my /boot/ directory in linux.

But, when I use your cd, it boot's perfectly, I tried coping the cdboot file to /boot/ but linux didn't recognize it.

Can you give me a hand on this?

Thanks pal.

Dell XPS M1330 Boot CD

Finally I got some time and have tested more properly the boot CD. This resulted in a version 0.5 which is available from http://www.superhai.com/boot-test.html

Updates:

• Moved back to 32 bit mode due to EFI64 nodes missing in Chameleon RC3. This will avoid Install failures due to the bless command. And also firewire without security mode will also require EFI64, as well as other minor things
  • Removed the DSDT.aml file, so it doen't need it to boot from CD. It may however be recommended to make your own on your final install
  • Updated the VoodooHDA.kext with new version from Slice and added pin configs so Speakers work properly. The boot CD do not use it, but you can copy it to your final install.
  • Gfx on the boot CD is using natit.kext for injecting values. And the values are for nvidia 8400M GS, but it seem like 8600 work as well, it will day 8400 in system profiler however. Intel gfx might or might not work accelerated, but I don't know about it.
  • Smbios.plist with MacBookPro3,1 values, it is the best match for the M1330.
  • I added the Chameleon binary files to the CD so you don't need to copy it afterwards. Included is the readme.
  • TODO: none for the boot CD at the moment, chime in here if you come up with something, and bugs as well

Insert and boot from it - when chameleon screen completes loading, eject the cd and insert the Snow Leopard dvd and wait for approx one minute. Then press F5 and if all goes well you will see the DVD as an icon. Choose it and off you go. If it doesn't show up properly, try to press F5 once more.

If you have another laptop than the XPS M1330, try it at your own risk.

I also will update my Dell XPS M1330 Snow Leopard guide.

And please don't ask me about things not related to this.

And, and... I hate linux.

Dell XPS M1330 Boot CD

Finally I got some time and have tested more properly the boot CD. This resulted in a version 0.5 which is available from http://www.superhai.com/boot-test.html

Updates:

• Moved back to 32 bit mode due to EFI64 nodes missing in Chameleon RC3. This will avoid Install failures due to the bless command. And also firewire without security mode will also require EFI64, as well as other minor things
  • Removed the DSDT.aml file, so it doen't need it to boot from CD. It may however be recommended to make your own on your final install
  • Updated the VoodooHDA.kext with new version from Slice and added pin configs so Speakers work properly. The boot CD do not use it, but you can copy it to your final install.
  • Gfx on the boot CD is using natit.kext for injecting values. And the values are for nvidia 8400M GS, but it seem like 8600 work as well, it will day 8400 in system profiler however. Intel gfx might or might not work accelerated, but I don't know about it.
  • Smbios.plist with MacBookPro3,1 values, it is the best match for the M1330.
  • I added the Chameleon binary files to the CD so you don't need to copy it afterwards. Included is the readme.
  • TODO: none for the boot CD at the moment, chime in here if you come up with something, and bugs as well

Insert and boot from it - when chameleon screen completes loading, eject the cd and insert the Snow Leopard dvd and wait for approx one minute. Then press F5 and if all goes well you will see the DVD as an icon. Choose it and off you go. If it doesn't show up properly, try to press F5 once more.

If you have another laptop than the XPS M1330, try it at your own risk.

I also will update my Dell XPS M1330 Snow Leopard guide.

And please don't ask me about things not related to this.

And, and... I hate linux.

Hi Superhai

Firstly, thanks for your effort in getting this to work. I'm really looking forward to using OS X for the first time.

Unfortunately, version 0.5 of your boot disc doesn't work on my XPS M1330. Here are the steps I followed:

Boot from bootdisc version 0.5.

Wait for the chameleon to appear.

Eject boot disc, insert SL 10.6 retail disc.

Wait for a minute, press F5.

Select the OS X retail disc and press enter.

The Apple logo appears, but after a minute or two a circle with a line through it appears above the Apple logo, and nothing else happens.

In other words, the first screen where the choice of language dooesn't appear. I was going to use this to partition my drive, but obviously didn't get that far.

This process works fine with version 0.4 of your boot disc.

If you need any other information, please let me know.

Edited to add:

I just tried it again, and this time the circle with the line through it doesn't appear, but the screen just goes black. The install still appears to be doing something as the CD drive is still running, but nothing happened after about 5 minutes, so I shut down.

This process works fine with version 0.4 of your boot disc.

I think that using natit.kext might not be so good, so I will find something else. If you have problems please boot with verbose mode to identify the issue, and also adding your configuration will also make it easier.

Has anybody been able to use Hibernate/Deep-Sleep with PC EFI v10.3/4/5 or Chameleon 2 RC3?

I used ForceWake=Yes in boot.plist and I can not get it to work...

Hibernate mode is currently set to 3.

Thanks!

Hi superahai

Does sleep works for you with Snow Leopard. I have everything working apart from sleep in my Dell inspiron 1520.

Earlier in 10.5.7 OS X, I used to have your VoodooUSBEHCI.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext edited for OSBundleCompatibleVersion and sleep used to work with that.

How to enable sleep in SL ?