[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Just a friendly update from my side -

I was able to install iATKOS v7 10.5.7 on my XPS m1530 first attempt. The only issue I've spotted in the few minutes I've spent with it is my wi-fi doesn't seen to be working out of the box. My lan connection however is working which was a nice surprise.

Thanks,

Scott

Was the WiFI hardware switch on at boot? Wifi doesn't work if you turn it on after boot, at least on my retail install.

Was the WiFI hardware switch on at boot? Wifi doesn't work if you turn it on after boot, at least on my retail install.

I suspected that this may have been the case so I went through it again with the switch on - unfortunately it yielded the same results. I'm not overly concerned however as I had it working on my XPS m1330 and believe its the same driver.

Thanks,

Scott

I've got a m1530 running a retail/vanilla install of 10.5.7. Up until now I've always used a USB mouse, but now that I'm using the touchpad I'm finding it to be barely usable. It isn't especially responsive and sometimes skips. I've tried several kexts from some of the threads around, does anyone a 'golden' kext for the touchpad?

Thanks!

iATKOS v7 here, Dell M1530 virtually perfect install out of the box, wifi, sound, LAN, Video, SD Cards, 2-Finger scroll all working on a Quad boot system.

Can't sleep for some reason even though I tried the clamshell fix (probably did it wrong).

Shutdown/restart and internal mic are the only things keeping me from a completely perfect Hackintosh/Ubuntu/Win Vista/Win 7.0 machine.

iATKOS v7 here, Dell M1530 virtually perfect install out of the box, wifi, sound, LAN, Video, SD Cards, 2-Finger scroll all working on a Quad boot system.

Can't sleep for some reason even though I tried the clamshell fix (probably did it wrong).

Shutdown/restart and internal mic are the only things keeping me from a completely perfect Hackintosh/Ubuntu/Win Vista/Win 7.0 machine.

Sleep works on the 1530. I use Wingrunr21's guide HERE. I followed the retail install but there are instructions for the "distros" too. Given where you've gotten things to you probably just need the sleep enabler but it is probably worth reading the guide.

Download the VoodooUSBEHCI sleep enabler from Superhai

Download the EHCI sleep enabler readme from Superhai as well. (Save text to a .txt file)

Following instructions in the readme or sleep won't work.

Sleep works on the 1530. I use Wingrunr21's guide HERE. I followed the retail install but there are instructions for the "distros" too. Given where you've gotten things to you probably just need the sleep enabler but it is probably worth reading the guide.

Download the VoodooUSBEHCI sleep enabler from Superhai

Download the EHCI sleep enabler readme from Superhai as well. (Save text to a .txt file)

Following instructions in the readme or sleep won't work.

Thanks for that recommendation, I tried it and it made my system completely unbootable, I had to reinstall the USB and Cardbus drivers from the iAtkos CD to get the system back up.

EDIT: Ok I am an idiot who cannot follow written instructions lol ^_^ . Got that all installed and I am a bit closer, sleep function works when I choose sleep or close the laptop. However when I try to come out of sleep I hear the machine fire up but I have no display.

Any ideas?

Thanks for that recommendation, I tried it and it made my system completely unbootable, I had to reinstall the USB and Cardbus drivers from the iAtkos CD to get the system back up.

EDIT: Ok I am an idiot who cannot follow written instructions lol :) . Got that all installed and I am a bit closer, sleep function works when I choose sleep or close the laptop. However when I try to come out of sleep I hear the machine fire up but I have no display.

Any ideas?

I would go to Wingrunr21's guide. Follow it exactly and if you wind up in the same place, ask there, But seriously, following that guide, plenty of people have everything working but shutdown/restart and the internal mike. If you can shell out the $ for a retail disk, do it.

EDIT: Ok I am an idiot who cannot follow written instructions lol :) . Got that all installed and I am a bit closer, sleep function works when I choose sleep or close the laptop. However when I try to come out of sleep I hear the machine fire up but I have no display.

Any ideas?

I have a vanilla install of 10.5.7 on a M1330. I originally had sleep working but I broke it recently, having a behavior similar to what you explained. Eventually I traced it to the Chameleon 2 RCs. I replaced the Chameleon /boot with the old Netkas V9 boot (see wingrunr21's guide as previosly suggested for the link to the boot file) and my sleep started working again! I tried a 10.x netkas boot file (which is based off Chameleon) and it didn't work. Make sure you set the permissions properly as according to the guide, or you won't be able to boot! It's not as pretty but it gets the job done. I'm also using superhai's VoodooPower, VoodooUSBEHCI, and DSDT.aml. Worth a shot. Worked for me.

I have a vanilla install of 10.5.7 on a M1330. I originally had sleep working but I broke it recently, having a behavior similar to what you explained. Eventually I traced it to the Chameleon 2 RCs. I replaced the Chameleon /boot with the old Netkas V9 boot (see wingrunr21's guide as previosly suggested for the link to the boot file) and my sleep started working again! I tried a 10.x netkas boot file (which is based off Chameleon) and it didn't work. Make sure you set the permissions properly as according to the guide, or you won't be able to boot! It's not as pretty but it gets the job done. I'm also using superhai's VoodooPower, VoodooUSBEHCI, and DSDT.aml. Worth a shot. Worked for me.

This sounds very promising as I was indeed using Cham 2. Can you post a link to the Netkas you are using as the only ones I can find for download are the ones based on the cham code?

Thanks

This sounds very promising as I was indeed using Cham 2. Can you post a link to the Netkas you are using as the only ones I can find for download are the ones based on the cham code?

Thanks

Look closer at wingrunr21's guide. The link is there (under the section Update to 10.5.6 Vanilla). It's PC EFI version 9. P.S. use the DSDT.aml recommended for your computer by the guide, not the Superhai one I used. Superhai's is only for the M1330.

Look closer at wingrunr21's guide. The link is there (under the section Update to 10.5.6 Vanilla). It's PC EFI version 9. P.S. use the DSDT.aml recommended for your computer by the guide, not the Superhai one I used. Superhai's is only for the M1330.

Yeah I used version 9 from the blog that the guide links to but I am still having the same problem, computer goes into sleep but never comes out of it. I am using the DSDT.aml for the 1530 rather than Superhai's one but still nothing. Are there any bios settings or obvious control panel/preference settings that are related to sleep working? I wonder if it has anything to do with my LED screen rather than the usual LCD?

Yeah I used version 9 from the blog that the guide links to but I am still having the same problem, computer goes into sleep but never comes out of it. I am using the DSDT.aml for the 1530 rather than Superhai's one but still nothing. Are there any bios settings or obvious control panel/preference settings that are related to sleep working? I wonder if it has anything to do with my LED screen rather than the usual LCD?

Wouldn't be the screen. Have you tried unplugging all of your USB devices?

You have no bios password right? Sleep is not compatible with a bios password. I use default bios settings.

Also, you did the necessary edit for IOUSBFamily.kext while installing Superhai's VoodooUSBEHCI?

Honestly your best bet is probably doing a vanilla install as according to wingrunr's guide. It works, and you know everything changed with the system from stock because you do it yourself. Who knows how that distro has been changed and what kexts you have on that machine. My first attempt was iAtkos, but I'm far happier with the vanilla install. Only annoying part is you have to repartition your drive using GUID, which completely wipes the hard drive. It's a good excuse to make a complete backup anyways, and once you do it once you never have to do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I haven't posted here in a while, because my system has been running very stable for quite some time. Anyway, I was running iatkos 10.5.4 on my Dell XPS.

So here's what happened, one day I was using OSX, and my comp froze, so I had to hold the power button to turn it off. Then I turned it back on, and got no video. Well I called Dell, and it ended up being a dying motherboard. Before it got fixed, I kept trying to turn it on, because every once in a while I'd get lucky and be able to see video output. So I did end up holding the power button to turn it off, probably about 7-8 times before I gave up and had Dell repair it.

Anyway, now when I boot up, it goes the gray apple logo with the spinning wheel, and just sits there (BTW, it did this before and after the motherboard was replaced). Or sometimes it starts out that way, then the background turns blue, and the wheel just spins and doesn't boot. I've already tried booting to my iatkos v4 disk, and using the disk utillity to repair permissions, and run the "repair drive", which failed. Does anyone know how I can get this to boot properly without loosing any data? Thanks for your time.

-Bryce

Anyway, now when I boot up, it goes the gray apple logo with the spinning wheel, and just sits there (BTW, it did this before and after the motherboard was replaced). Or sometimes it starts out that way, then the background turns blue, and the wheel just spins and doesn't boot. I've already tried booting to my iatkos v4 disk, and using the disk utillity to repair permissions, and run the "repair drive", which failed. Does anyone know how I can get this to boot properly without loosing any data? Thanks for your time.

1. Boot with a -x option. Then see if you can load / and repair disk permission (diskutil repairPermissions /)

2. What error do you get when you try to do a repair disk/ repair permission. Does it say something about the "Catalog file entry not found for extent"? Or gives a node error??

If so you will need Disk Warrior. Burn the cd and then use it to rebuild directory.

Re: AUDIO

Hi all,

especially to those with the xps m1530 who have gotten it to work.. specifically... HOW??

It took me 2 days to get dual boot vista osx going with a working bootloader and have gotten video drivers, but my audio is non-existent. dell diagnostics says that it is a sigmatel stac 92xx. i have tried EVERY linux codec dump on taruga's appleHDA page that starts with 92...., so please don't point me there, and if so, also know i have dropped the dumps into versions 1.16 (as stated in the first thread on audio) and 1.20. Miraculously the azalia package has enabled the volume bar to appear, and songs can now play in iTunes, so some sort of audio device must be recognized as this was not true before, but it is not working. Admittedly, i am a n00b, but these posts and the internet resources out there have enabled me to get this far, i know i can finish it.

Who has gotten the audio to work on a m1530? and what did you do?

also, i'm not sure, but i think my reboot used to work until i installed the azalia pkg. anyone else?

did u try the drivers package that mac girl have posted ..it seems that it kinda worked for one of my computer

I'm getting tired of broken kexts :) and broken M1330, a month ago my XPS died, it can't boot not even a sign of POST, I went to Europe for 2 weeks and I left my XPS at the office, the Dell technician replaced the mainboard and the AC adapter, when I came back I try to use it but it only boot once then it died again, this tme at least a sign of life, then Dell send a technician to replace the processor because the flashing leds indicated that, but when he replaced the CPU the same sings appear, then he inst tha the mainboard has a defect on one of the DIMM slots, so next day he replaced the Mainboad and the 2 DIMMs.

A week ago I made the update to 10.5.8 and problems came out, no sleep (resolved with sleepEnabler, thanks Pista7), no Bluetooth (need Bluetooth File Exchange to force it turn ON) and the worst no conection with AFP shares.

I bought a MacBook Pro 13" a week ago for my spouse and I really thinking on getting anothe for me, maybe a 15" one, really getting tired of fighting with kexts and other things :( Now I don't have the time (heavy work) and the will. :(

1. Boot with a -x option. Then see if you can load / and repair disk permission (diskutil repairPermissions /)

2. What error do you get when you try to do a repair disk/ repair permission. Does it say something about the "Catalog file entry not found for extent"? Or gives a node error??

If so you will need Disk Warrior. Burn the cd and then use it to rebuild directory.

I tried booting with -x option, but it just takes me to the same place, with the grey apple screen and the wheel turning. After about 2 minutes, it just turns off. Where do I type the "diskutil repairPermissions /" at? I also tried this when it asked for boot options: "-x diskutil repairPermissions /", and it did the same thing, and shut down. I just ran the "verify disk" from the disk utility from the iatkos 4 dvd again, and here is what it says: (let me know if you want me to just post the thinks, to take up less space)

IMG_2322.jpg

I tried booting with -x option, but it just takes me to the same place, with the grey apple screen and the wheel turning. After about 2 minutes, it just turns off. Where do I type the "diskutil repairPermissions /" at? I also tried this when it asked for boot options: "-x diskutil repairPermissions /", and it did the same thing, and shut down. I just ran the "verify disk" from the disk utility from the iatkos 4 dvd again, and here is what it says: (let me know if you want me to just post the thinks, to take up less space)

Apologies..... the option is -s (not -x)

When you see boot: put a -s after that and hit enter. You should be in single user mode. But don't bother doing this. Itll give you the same errors that you got.

Get Disk Warrior. Use it to rebuild directory.

Apologies..... the option is -s (not -x)

When you see boot: put a -s after that and hit enter. You should be in single user mode. But don't bother doing this. Itll give you the same errors that you got.

Get Disk Warrior. Use it to rebuild directory.

I got Disk Warrior, then converted it to an ISO, and burned it to a disk, but It won't let me boot to it. How do I run it? Is there a command similar to -s that I can use to run the CD? I think I'm gonna try an alternate way of burning the DVD. Thanks again for all your help!

EDIT: I'm trying a different version of diskwarrior, hope it works!

EDIT 2: Nope it still didn't work. The file is originally a .toast file, but they don't have toast for pc, so I again tried changing the filename to .iso and burn with img burn. But it still won't boot to the disk.

-Bryce

Hi - i'm studying this post to prepare for a Leopard & XP dual boot on my m1330, 

but i'm trying to resolve a driver issue in XP first -

hope it's ok to post in this compilation forum, & someone can point me in the direction of answer : 

I've successfully UPGRADED to my own nLited XPsp3 w/ only 23 processes running @ boottime.

M1330 / T 6600 @ 4 GB RAM / nVidia 8400M GS / 500 GB SATA II @ 7200 rpm

Issue: Webcam driver installation causes boot-to-working-desktop time

to INCREASE from 33 seconds (:33) to 1 minute:55 seconds ( 1:55).

Anyone have a way to install webcam drivers but keep fast bootup ?

I've successfully installed all other drivers whilst keeping boottime < :33 after each install.

The 3 specific webcam drivers I've tried are: R155105, R160323, R173082.

I've set System Restore points, & tried installing them before, as well as after,

the main program driver R168730 Creative Labs webcam @ 140 MB.

After each non-success, I've rolled back to a < :33 sec boottime,

so I've started over from a success point each time, allowing 3-5 reboots after each install,

but still 1:55 boottimes.

These are the last drivers to be installed on the system.

At each driver install, I rebooted 3-5 times and never exceeded 33 seconds to desktop.

Order of install :

R154270 System Software Drivers

R153997 Intel Mobile Chipset

PerfectDisk defrag : 1st ---> a boottime MFT + pagefile defrag, followed by a C:\ defrag

185.85 nVidia GeForce 8400M Release 185 (from nVidia)

R141246 Memory Card Reader

R155246 Network Driver

R151336 Network Utility .

R174291 Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card

R171789 SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio .

R161378 Bluetooth .

iata78_enu.exe SATA driver install

R155586 Touch pad

I'm not installing Dell Quickset or the Fingerprint Reader.

Appreciate some tips if anyone knows !

then, i'll be on to Leopard here ......

Anyone have any information on installing Snow Leopard on the M1530? I currently have 10.5.8 Iatkos v7 and everything is working except the normal sleep/shutdown/restart. Everything else is running perfectly. Is it possible to run a direct upgrade using the retail cd without any issues?

I tried burning diskwarrior again with poweriso, magicIso, IMG burn, and it still won't boot to the disk. Is there a command similar to -s that I can use to boot from the DVD?

I would suggest getting a mac from somewhere to burn the DMG. I know of no reliable way of doing this on a PC. If you succeed in burning it and can browse the burnt disk in windows, then try booting it by choosing the boot device as DVD drive from the DELL boot device list (F12 at Dell Logo)