Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 working on my Aspire 5630. Onboard wireless doesn't work, but that's to be expected (it's the Intel 3945). Everything else seems to work though.

About pete7000's problem with the computer shutting down randomly - I have that problem too, in XP and Leopard, due to overheating. I find that when the laptop is resting on a pillow or other soft surface the air intake grill (which is on the BOTTOM, horrible design) is blocked, causing the CPU to overheat and the machine to shut down under heavy load. Solution, put it on flat, cool surfaces, or suspend on top of a book or something.

Hi, Detosx. I was reading your posts (while looking for the cure for the X3100 GPU). And I know you has an Acer Extensa 5620 working! with Leopard (as well as Tiger?)I want to buy from an spanish computer shop this (nice and cheap!) model:

ACER ASPIRE 5720-6683 - Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5 GHz
Intel Centrino DuoEnhanced SpeedStep Technology
Mobile Intel 945 Express
chipset familyBus Speed 667MHzCache 2MB L2Chipset Intel GM965 Express
Intel GMA X3100
Hard Drive 120GB Serial ATANetwork 10/100/1000
Gigabit Ethernet
IEEE 802.3abIntel PRO/Wireless
54Mbps Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11a/b/gS-Video Out - DVI-D (Digital) - IEEE 1394 - FireWire

This is a very similar hardware. It must work like yours, don´t you think? So, I want to make you some questions (please forgive my basic english)1) Is ALL working?, EXCEPT, OF COURSE, WiFi intel 4965 (have you heard about beta driver?), Web Cam and Power saving? - I would like to know your experiences with Tiger and Leopard, which releases?2) 2 Cores? It would be great... I guess this weekend I will get that notebook. From here, I will post my experiences. I builded 2 hackintosh with good results (intel 915GV mobos -GLVG&GUX-) but this will be my first time with a notebook.THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I have an acer 5720 like yours running leopard kalliway 10.5.2, only the wifi doesnt work, if you have any problem or any doubt dont hesitate to ask, my blog is: http://acer5720linuxubuntu.blogspot.com/By the way, im portuguese...Congrat`s:)
Hi, Detosx. I was reading your posts (while looking for the cure for the X3100 GPU). And I know you has an Acer Extensa 5620 working! with Leopard (as well as Tiger?)I want to buy from an spanish computer shop this (nice and cheap!) model:

ACER ASPIRE 5720-6683 - Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5 GHz
Intel Centrino DuoEnhanced SpeedStep Technology
Mobile Intel 945 Express
chipset familyBus Speed 667MHzCache 2MB L2Chipset Intel GM965 Express
Intel GMA X3100
Hard Drive 120GB Serial ATANetwork 10/100/1000
Gigabit Ethernet
IEEE 802.3abIntel PRO/Wireless
54Mbps Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11a/b/gS-Video Out - DVI-D (Digital) - IEEE 1394 - FireWire

This is a very similar hardware. It must work like yours, don´t you think? So, I want to make you some questions (please forgive my basic english)1) Is ALL working?, EXCEPT, OF COURSE, WiFi intel 4965 (have you heard about beta driver?), Web Cam and Power saving? - I would like to know your experiences with Tiger and Leopard, which releases?2) 2 Cores? It would be great... I guess this weekend I will get that notebook. From here, I will post my experiences. I builded 2 hackintosh with good results (intel 915GV mobos -GLVG&GUX-) but this will be my first time with a notebook.THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I have an acer 5720 like yours running leopard kalliway 10.5.2, only the wifi doesnt work, if you have any problem or any doubt dont hesitate to ask!!!

He is salvation for everybody!

Kalyway 10.5.1 OSX I settled it on my laptop.

Unfortunately it nVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS to my card I did not hit home kext. Furthermore, the sound card driver (Realtek High Defiunition Audio) neither found, in that manner Atheros AR5007EG wifi to a card. Unfortunately Broadcom NetLink I did not find a driver. I would like to ask for your help, how I would be able to obtain it where the equivalent kext's!

My Laptop:

Acer Aspire 5720ZG

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 (1,6GHz, 533MHZ FSB, 1Mb L2 cache)

Chipset: Intel Crestline GM965/PM965

RAM: 2 x 1Gb DDR2-667MHz (Samsung M4 70T2953EZ3-CE6)

VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (256Mb)

HDD: Hitachi HTS542516K9SA00 160Gb/7200RPM/8M/SATA2

FDD: PIONEER DVD-RW DVRKD08RS

WiFi: Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

salvation, BAM

( Incomplete my English knowledge, indulgence! :angel: )

i had a question, when i install kalyway 10.5.1, it tells me it installed successfully but on reboot, it freezes on the boot screen, i tried what you have posted int the first post but that did not work. i was also wondering if anyone knows the packages in the kalyway customize install screen to select for an acer extensa 4620z to work.

These are the computer specs

Acer Extensa 4620z

Processor - Intel Pentium Dual Core T2310 1.46 Ghz

Graphics -Up to 358MB Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Memory - 2 GB DDR2

160 GB HDD

Brodacom Wireless

Will Kalyway even work on this computer

i had a question, when i install kalyway 10.5.1, it tells me it installed successfully but on reboot, it freezes on the boot screen, i tried what you have posted int the first post but that did not work. i was also wondering if anyone knows the packages in the kalyway customize install screen to select for an acer extensa 4620z to work.

These are the computer specs

Acer Extensa 4620z

Processor - Intel Pentium Dual Core T2310 1.46 Ghz

Graphics -Up to 358MB Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Memory - 2 GB DDR2

160 GB HDD

Brodacom Wireless

Will Kalyway even work on this computer

At the moment I am using iATKOS2i and just about favor it over Leo4allv3. If you go for the former, press F8 when you boot from the installer DVD and type cpus=1, otherwise the installer may freeze on you at some point or the keyboard might not be recognised during the registration process; once you have installed Leopard Graphics Update from Apple you no longer have to boot with the cpus=1 command.

If wanting to use kalyway I think 10.5.1 was a good move; the new Kalyway 10.5.2 fails to see USB devices on some Acers and other brands.

As to your question, assuming typing cpus=1 or -legacy doesn't allow you to boot to the desktop, it could be you have the bootup problem that I have with my 4720z, namely that it can take up to four or five efforts to boot up. As yet I have not been able to find a solution to this one. Also, on the odd occasion the keyboard doesn't work. It's very hit and miss. Still hoping for a solution. With my other Acer I have no such problems.

Hello... I have a boring issue.

Everything works fine in my Acer Travelmate 4202 (4200 Series), except the SpeedStep. Actually I dunno if this is working.

I'm running iATKOS 2.0i with 9.2.2 Vanilla, Stock AppleACPI and Intel SpeedStep Package. First boot was fine. But next boot's simply won't work! I need to set -x flag in order to boot correctly, with -v I get a beautiful Kernel Panic!

Any ideias?

just recently been looking online like seems forever last few days, almost bought a G4 powerbook , then looked for hackintosh, I guess its came along way since last time i checked (deadmoo) I have been looking for a great budget laptop with high specs thats 10.5 compatible and I was wondering if this is a good deal, I see its got decent video , processor and ram. but... how compatible is audio,video, trackpad, and LAN and WIFI??

Thanks for all help you may provide.. !! I can really use it. Im really excited about this, allready own a Dual G4 Mirror Door 1.42GHZ with 2gbs ram, so Im far from new to os x.. Eager to see what you guys come up with ! :)

Acer Aspire 5920-6347 Notebook PC

Item Number 739813 - staples.ca - check it out if you want, use bow1bo for postal if you need.

Features:

1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5550

4GB DDR2 SDRAM

320GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

DVD Super-Multi Drive(DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS with 256MB (shared) graphics memory

15.4” WXGA with CrystalBrite Technology (1280 x 800) Widescreen LCD

802.11a/b/g wireless LAN

Bluetooth® 2.0

V.92 Modem

Integrated webcam

Dolby®-certified surround-sound system with two integrated stereo speakers and one subwoofer supporting low-frequency effects

Ports: 5-in-1 Card Reader, 4 USB 2.0, DC-in; RJ-11 modem; RJ-45 LAN; VGA; Headphones/speakers/line-out with SPDIF support; Microphone-in; Line-in; S-video TV-out; HDMI™ with HDCP support; FireWire® (IEEE 1394); CIR (consumer infrared)

Windows Vista Home Premium

Software Included: Acer Empowering Technology, Acer GridVista, Acer Launch Manager, Acer PureZone, Adobe Acrobat® Reader, CyberLink® PowerProducer™ (trial version), Anti-virus (trial version), NTI CD-Maker™ (trial version)

14.3”W x 10.6”D x 1.2”/1.7”H

Weight: 6.6lbs

1-Year Limited Warranty.

Price:904.96

Im fine with the price, but am i going to have to use usb for internet ?

how compatible is audio,video, trackpad, and LAN and WIFI??

THANK YOU !!

Okay, I've finished with exams so now I can return to the Mac stuff :ihw_wow:

At the moment I'm downloading the new iAtkos v2.0i and also updated my BIOS to the newest version. Hope it will stick this time..

I was absent quite a while - which release is the best now? I mean when I was playing here Detosx told to use iAtkos. Did anything change?

Okay, I've finished with exams so now I can return to the Mac stuff :P At the moment I'm downloading the new iAtkos v2.0i and also updated my BIOS to the newest version. Hope it will stick this time..I was absent quite a while - which release is the best now? I mean when I was playing here Detosx told to use iAtkos. Did anything change?
I have had least trouble with the latest iATKOSv2.0i but, as they say, mileage may vary! Kalyway's latest hasn't worked well on either of my Acers. If you don't need Vista as a seperate partition, I would go with GUID partitioning (though for some reason iATKOS doesn't like more than three GUID partitions to be set up in Disk Utility; I get odd formatting errors if I go beyond three and install freezes) and the defaults, which is to say EFI and speedstep kernel; don't forget if you go that route to also select Speedstep. I would avoid vanilla; the fan was going almost constaly on my 4720z, with or without the thermal kexts removed. On uphucks forum I was advised to select 'remove thermal kexts', though I can't say I have noticed big differences in temperatures with or without them. I still get shudown problems if I go with Taruga/alc628, so I prefer to use and advise others to use a cheap usb soundcard. Mine is not cheap - Creative X-Fi - but other cheaper ones are known to work; google is your friend on that one. Best of luck. :)
just recently been looking online like seems forever last few days, almost bought a G4 powerbook , then looked for hackintosh, I guess its came along way since last time i checked (deadmoo) I have been looking for a great budget laptop with high specs thats 10.5 compatible and I was wondering if this is a good deal, I see its got decent video , processor and ram. but... how compatible is audio,video, trackpad, and LAN and WIFI?? Thanks for all help you may provide.. !! I can really use it. Im really excited about this, allready own a Dual G4 Mirror Door 1.42GHZ with 2gbs ram, so Im far from new to os x.. Eager to see what you guys come up with ! :)Acer Aspire 5920-6347 Notebook PCItem Number 739813 - staples.ca - check it out if you want, use bow1bo for postal if you need.Features:1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T55504GB DDR2 SDRAM320GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard DriveDVD Super-Multi Drive(DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM)NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS with 256MB (shared) graphics memory15.4” WXGA with CrystalBrite Technology (1280 x 800) Widescreen LCD802.11a/b/g wireless LANBluetooth® 2.0V.92 ModemIntegrated webcamDolby®-certified surround-sound system with two integrated stereo speakers and one subwoofer supporting low-frequency effectsPorts: 5-in-1 Card Reader, 4 USB 2.0, DC-in; RJ-11 modem; RJ-45 LAN; VGA; Headphones/speakers/line-out with SPDIF support; Microphone-in; Line-in; S-video TV-out; HDMI™ with HDCP support; FireWire® (IEEE 1394); CIR (consumer infrared)Windows Vista Home PremiumSoftware Included: Acer Empowering Technology, Acer GridVista, Acer Launch Manager, Acer PureZone, Adobe Acrobat® Reader, CyberLink® PowerProducer™ (trial version), Anti-virus (trial version), NTI CD-Maker™ (trial version)14.3”W x 10.6”D x 1.2”/1.7”HWeight: 6.6lbs1-Year Limited Warranty.Price:904.96Im fine with the price, but am i going to have to use usb for internet ?how compatible is audio,video, trackpad, and LAN and WIFI?? THANK YOU !!
Hi, sorry, I missed this one.Though the thread has gone to quite a few pages now I wouldn't necessarily say an Acer is the best way to go. Certainly it is one way to go, a cheap way to go. If you have more savings - buy a MacBook... albeit the screens are not as good as they were or should be... but! Battery life! Battery life! Battery life! The Air model is excellent and, in terms of time is money, worth the investment. An intel based HP laptop might be better than an Acer, simply because you might have more luck with Wi-Fi and networking. Either that or replace the Acer's Wi-Fi card or buy a cheapo Wi-Fi dongle. I don't network, I use bluetooth. The HP's webcams might work, too, and be of better quality; the Acer models don't work with Photo booth, say, but work with Messenger. I hear mixed reports about Dells. Dell used to be a brand I had a lot of time for but the new models are disgusting, by which I mean they feel cheap and look cheap when seen in the flesh, I half expected the silver finnish on the keyboard to come off on my fingers. Of course it can't but you might see what I mean. Very disappointed. The advantage is a lot of hackintoshers are using them so there are a lot of posts. That is a big plus. Of the Acers out there I like the Extensa range. Yes, they look pretty ugly but the build quality is decent, being aimed at the business market. I like my Extensa 5620. My 4720z was cheaper and prettier, has a slightly better screen but isn't nearly as rugged, doesn't have as good a keyboard and nor is it as compatible; it sometimes requires three bootups to get to the desktop. Still working on that one.
Hello... I have a boring issue.Everything works fine in my Acer Travelmate 4202 (4200 Series), except the SpeedStep. Actually I dunno if this is working.I'm running iATKOS 2.0i with 9.2.2 Vanilla, Stock AppleACPI and Intel SpeedStep Package. First boot was fine. But next boot's simply won't work! I need to set -x flag in order to boot correctly, with -v I get a beautiful Kernel Panic!Any ideias?
You'll need to start over. Speedstep, which in my opinion is vital if you are using a laptop, doesn't work with the Vanilla kernel. You need to use the default kernel, which is to say don't select a kernel during install, just leave the defaults with ticks in their checkboxes. Also select the Speedstep package. Other than your graphics card/chip don't select anything else, with the exception of remove thermal kexts, which uphuck and co advise is a good idea to keep temperatures down. Almost no one gives definitive statements about that, though, so I'm still not sure how safe or unsafe their removal is; they are said not to work with hackintoshes so I assume that to be the case.

As I say to everyone, for the first few days after your install... keep an eye on the temperatures and make sure your laptop has COMPLETELY shutdown before wrapping it up in a bag or sweater and putting it in a holdall. If the screen is black but the fan is going or the power button's light is illumiated, as opposed to the battery charging light... watch out.

Hi there,

I have installed leo4all v3 almost succesfull, and with almost i mean i only have to install a few more drivers.

I got it allready dual booting fast and nice with vista ultimate 64.

Here are the drivers that i need.

Its a acer aspire 5684

gigabit ethernet drivers, cant find or maybe i am looking the wrong way.

high definition audio drivers, dont really know what brand but this is what i get at device info in vista

nvidea geforce 7600 go drivers, just tried nvidea go 0.2.0 and it gave device id,but no QE

not working yet is the cardreader, bluetooth and infrred but that is for later first i want my audio and video working properly.

any idea's?

Hi there,

I have installed leo4all v3 almost succesfull, and with almost i mean i only have to install a few more drivers.

I got it allready dual booting fast and nice with vista ultimate 64.

Here are the drivers that i need.

Its a acer aspire 5684

gigabit ethernet drivers, cant find or maybe i am looking the wrong way.

high definition audio drivers, dont really know what brand but this is what i get at device info in vista

nvidea geforce 7600 go drivers, just tried nvidea go 0.2.0 and it gave device id,but no QE

not working yet is the cardreader, bluetooth and infrred but that is for later first i want my audio and video working properly.

any idea's?

The audio fix, if we're talking Taruga alc628/AppleHDA.kext will almost certainly break shutdown so avoid like the plague, seriously, and go for a cheap usb soundcard. I've documented the whys and have since met others with dead laptops

USB soundcards weigh nothing and the quality is great, cheap to. You won't get the card reader working, no one has. Bluetooth, I use a Belkin bluetooth usb plugin, cheap and it works, though for all I know bluetooth works natively and I haven't got to the bottom of it! I would have said nvinject 0.2.0, it worked for my Desktop's Geforce PNY 7300. If you could bare to, try iATKOSv2 but first take note of how many megabytes the 7600 is; it may be covered by iATKOS's installer.

Leo4allv3 gave me bootup headaches on my 4720z, though not as bad as Kalyway; iATKOS has given me the fewest bootup problems... the least path of resistance!

Incidentally, did you partition using GUID? I'm told you need Vista 64 rather than 32 to install on a GUID partition. I am dying to know how well it works.

I have had least trouble with the latest iATKOSv2.0i but, as they say, mileage may vary! Kalyway's latest hasn't worked well on either of my Acers. If you don't need Vista as a seperate partition, I would go with GUID partitioning (though for some reason iATKOS doesn't like more than three GUID partitions to be set up in Disk Utility; I get odd formatting errors if I go beyond three and install freezes) and the defaults, which is to say EFI and speedstep kernel; don't forget if you go that route to also select Speedstep. I would avoid vanilla; the fan was going almost constaly on my 4720z, with or without the thermal kexts removed. On uphucks forum I was advised to select 'remove thermal kexts', though I can't say I have noticed big differences in temperatures with or without them. I still get shudown problems if I go with Taruga/alc628, so I prefer to use and advise others to use a cheap usb soundcard. Mine is not cheap - Creative X-Fi - but other cheaper ones are known to work; google is your friend on that one. Best of luck. :angel: Hi, sorry, I missed this one.Though the thread has gone to quite a few pages now I wouldn't necessarily say an Acer is the best way to go. Certainly it is one way to go, a cheap way to go. If you have more savings - buy a MacBook... albeit the screens are not as good as they were or should be... but! Battery life! Battery life! Battery life! The Air model is excellent and, in terms of time is money, worth the investment. An intel based HP laptop might be better than an Acer, simply because you might have more luck with Wi-Fi and networking. Either that or replace the Acer's Wi-Fi card or buy a cheapo Wi-Fi dongle. I don't network, I use bluetooth. The HP's webcams might work, too, and be of better quality; the Acer models don't work with Photo booth, say, but work with Messenger. I hear mixed reports about Dells. Dell used to be a brand I had a lot of time for but the new models are disgusting, by which I mean they feel cheap and look cheap when seen in the flesh, I half expected the silver finnish on the keyboard to come off on my fingers. Of course it can't but you might see what I mean. Very disappointed. The advantage is a lot of hackintoshers are using them so there are a lot of posts. That is a big plus. Of the Acers out there I like the Extensa range. Yes, they look pretty ugly but the build quality is decent, being aimed at the business market. I like my Extensa 5620. My 4720z was cheaper and prettier, has a slightly better screen but isn't nearly as rugged, doesn't have as good a keyboard and nor is it as compatible; it sometimes requires three bootups to get to the desktop. Still working on that one.You'll need to start over. Speedstep, which in my opinion is vital if you are using a laptop, doesn't work with the Vanilla kernel. You need to use the default kernel, which is to say don't select a kernel during install, just leave the defaults with ticks in their checkboxes. Also select the Speedstep package. Other than your graphics card/chip don't select anything else, with the exception of remove thermal kexts, which uphuck and co advise is a good idea to keep temperatures down. Almost no one gives definitive statements about that, though, so I'm still not sure how safe or unsafe their removal is; they are said not to work with hackintoshes so I assume that to be the case.

As I say to everyone, for the first few days after your install... keep an eye on the temperatures and make sure your laptop has COMPLETELY shutdown before wrapping it up in a bag or sweater and putting it in a holdall. If the screen is black but the fan is going or the power button's light is illumiated, as opposed to the battery charging light... watch out.

Hi, have just installed kaly 10.5.2 on my acer aspire 5630 and everything appears to be working very well. This uses Intel t5500 cpu and intel 950 graphics, 1gb ram .Wifi not working, intel 945 but not too bothered about this yet as i've done a tri boot with xp and vista and osx is only really on there so i can run logic 8.

i used the speedstep kernel and have battery meter, and associated support working ok.

a couple of probs which I've managed to sort...

Firstly, usual problem of usb storage not mounting, fixed with download from here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=95789&st=0

Secondly, i used the download from here to get pcmcia working. Initially it caused some kind of kernel panic, after booting with -x and rebooting, problem solved so it now recognises my firewire card.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036

Hope this may be of help to someone. I'll let you know if any problems arise in the next few weeks.

All in all, I'd say that this acer makes an excellent choice as a hackbook! :-)

Ps i'm getting about 82 when i run X bench, is this a decent score?

Will be upgrading from 1 gb ram to 2gb shortly so i'll let you know if this makes much difference.

The audio fix, if we're talking Taruga alc628/AppleHDA.kext will almost certainly break shutdown so avoid like the plague, seriously, and go for a cheap usb soundcard. I've documented the whys and have since met others with dead laptops

USB soundcards weigh nothing and the quality is great, cheap to. You won't get the card reader working, no one has. Bluetooth, I use a Belkin bluetooth usb plugin, cheap and it works, though for all I know bluetooth works natively and I haven't got to the bottom of it! I would have said nvinject 0.2.0, it worked for my Desktop's Geforce PNY 7300. If you could bare to, try iATKOSv2 but first take note of how many megabytes the 7600 is; it may be covered by iATKOS's installer.

Leo4allv3 gave me bootup headaches on my 4720z, though not as bad as Kalyway; iATKOS has given me the fewest bootup problems... the least path of resistance!

Incidentally, did you partition using GUID? I'm told you need Vista 64 rather than 32 to install on a GUID partition. I am dying to know how well it works.

ok thanxs for the info,

After trying azalia kext my audio worked, so thats fixed now.

Cardreader and bluetooth i dont care, but i would like to get the lan working.

I dont know if i have guid partition, what is default?because i didnt set anything.

My dual boot works perfect now, First I installed vista 64 and then made a partition with disk manager in vista and i followed the fool proof dual boot topic on this forum and i use the darwin bootloader for the dual boot.it is really fast,it suprised me.

Leo4all v3 is the only hackintosh that works for me now.I tried kalyway 10.5.2 and iatkos v1.0 r2, iatkos worked, but wasnt stable, leo4all is stable now, no shutdown/cooling or boot probs.Only things that i had to fix the bootscreen, it wasnt the normal apple bootscreen, but i found on eddie11c site on that forum a topic how to fix that and now it is fine.I used the vanila 9.2.0 and the defualt kernel and you need look wich chipset driver you check, because that can give a root device eror, i found out that i needed to uncheck the oldnforce kext.

The things that i need to fix now is the videocard ( geforce 7600GO ) and the LAN.

Maybe i am going to try to get a new mini pci-e card, atheros or so , to get the WLAN working too.

So any tips for the videocard?

PS. how do i delete old kext? or does it overwrite it self with the latest?

Ok, some good news for ACER owners. First, PCCard.10.5.2.Beta2.pkg.zip from Chu-Nan at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=644917

fixes my Broadcom ethernet NIC and the iwi3945 drivers now load correctly.

In addition, I found out how to inject the DSDT ACPI code from http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php into my BIOS and I now have a fully working dual core CPU. No idlehalt or cpus=1 flags at boot anymore. If you have an ACER 5670 model and would like to test the BIOS give me a PM.

Other ACER users who are having ACPI issues at boot, I started a forum topic with instructions on how to fix your BIOS:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=659984

Hi asstastic,

I am really interested in putting ACPI code to BIOS. I have fixed ASL file and I am eager to know how I can use this file to modify my BIOS.

Thanks

Hi. I've installed Leo4all v3 on a external HD on my Acer Aspire 5715Z. I tried Kalyway and iATKOS, but both doesn't work, so I tried Leo4all v3 and voilà, Leopard "runs". I say "runs", because there's a big problem: It shuts down without a warning, bam, black screen...sometimes during the install of Office, sometimes browsing through the finder...very strange...I tried to boot with cpus=1, -x , -f, but this doesn't wotk. Is there a soulution for this?

During the installation of Leo4all, I choose the X3100 Patch, and after that I used the ALC268 Installer from Taruga. Now, Video works, and Sound in/out/Microphone works too.

Works:

Sound

Video (Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family/Mobile Intel® GMA X3100)

Reboot/Shutdown/Logout

USB Ports (all three)

Doesn't Work:

My CD Drive (Mat{censored}a DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device)

Ethernet (Broadcom NetLink BCM5906M PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller)

W-Lan (Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter)

Sleep (The Screen goes black, but I can hear my Laptop working...?)

TimeMachine

Hardware:

-Acer Aspire 5715Z

-Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (448 MB)

-Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz, 1463 MHz

-CPU Typ Mobile DualCore Intel Pentium T2310, 1466 MHz (11 x 133)

-Motherboard Name: Acer Aspire 5715Z

-Motherboard Chip: Intel Crestline-GML GL960

-Ram: 2037 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

-BIOS Typ Insyde (10/15/07)

-supports x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

-External 80GB LaCie Mobile Disk

So, if anybody can give me Patches for the CD Drive, the Ethernet, and the strange shutdowns, this would be great...

I have a very big problem with my acer. Its a travelmate 8200 with specs:

Intel Core Duo T2500 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache) <LI>Intel 945PM Chipset <LI>15.4" WSXGA+ TFT LCD <LI>ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 256 MB GDDR3 (upto 512 MB with Hypermemory) <LI>100 GB 5400rpm SATA HDD (120GB in North America / Europe) <LI>1 GB DDR2-667 (2x 512 MB sticks with dual channel support) (2GB in North America / Europe) <LI>Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG + Bluetooth <LI>Intel Pro/1000 Ethernet <LI>Bluetooth VoIP phone <LI>SG$3998

I cant boot after the install, can someone help?

I have a very big problem with my acer. Its a travelmate 8200 with specs:

Intel Core Duo T2500 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache) <LI>Intel 945PM Chipset <LI>15.4" WSXGA+ TFT LCD <LI>ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 256 MB GDDR3 (upto 512 MB with Hypermemory) <LI>100 GB 5400rpm SATA HDD (120GB in North America / Europe) <LI>1 GB DDR2-667 (2x 512 MB sticks with dual channel support) (2GB in North America / Europe) <LI>Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG + Bluetooth <LI>Intel Pro/1000 Ethernet <LI>Bluetooth VoIP phone <LI>SG$3998

I cant boot after the install, can someone help?

Yes. Describe how it hangs at boot. Do try cpus=1 at boot prompt. Make sure to remove the AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext OR replace IOPCIFamily. If you want Wireless, buy a cheap-o, supported USB Wireless card.

Yes. Describe how it hangs at boot. Do try cpus=1 at boot prompt. Make sure to remove the AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext OR replace IOPCIFamily. If you want Wireless, buy a cheap-o, supported USB Wireless card.

Alright now i can start it but: it says that i have to restart my pc :(. And im always doing cpus=1 but how do i remove that kext or replace the IOPCIFamily? And is it necessary to do?

Hi. I've installed Leo4all v3 on a external HD on my Acer Aspire 5715Z. I tried Kalyway and iATKOS, but both doesn't work, so I tried Leo4all v3 and voilà, Leopard "runs". I say "runs", because there's a big problem: It shuts down without a warning, bam, black screen...sometimes during the install of Office, sometimes browsing through the finder...very strange...I tried to boot with cpus=1, -x , -f, but this doesn't wotk. Is there a soulution for this?

During the installation of Leo4all, I choose the X3100 Patch, and after that I used the ALC268 Installer from Taruga. Now, Video works, and Sound in/out/Microphone works too.

Works:

Sound

Video (Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family/Mobile Intel® GMA X3100)

Reboot/Shutdown/Logout

USB Ports (all three)

Doesn't Work:

My CD Drive (Mat{censored}a DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device)

Ethernet (Broadcom NetLink BCM5906M PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller)

W-Lan (Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter)

Sleep (The Screen goes black, but I can hear my Laptop working...?)

TimeMachine

Hardware:

-Acer Aspire 5715Z

-Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (448 MB)

-Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz, 1463 MHz

-CPU Typ Mobile DualCore Intel Pentium T2310, 1466 MHz (11 x 133)

-Motherboard Name: Acer Aspire 5715Z

-Motherboard Chip: Intel Crestline-GML GL960

-Ram: 2037 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

-BIOS Typ Insyde (10/15/07)

-supports x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

-External 80GB LaCie Mobile Disk

So, if anybody can give me Patches for the CD Drive, the Ethernet, and the strange shutdowns, this would be great...

If you are using Taruga ALC268/AppleHDA.kext you won't get full shutdowns (though that said on my Kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2 with kernel 9.2.0 vanilla using netkas's install guide... I had it working for a while). The danger is that with the screen black, thinking your laptop is off, you put your laptop in a daypack wrapped in a sweater - and the laptop overheats and dies. I am not the only one to have lost a laptop in action this way, sadly.

I have suggested to Taruga and would suggest to anyone who knows how to do it and would like to share their solution here, that he write a patch or use some third party application simply to remove the AppleHDA.kext at shutdown and reinsert it at startup. Doing so manually works perfectly for me, but doing so is a nuisance.

If you are using Taruga ALC628/AppleHDA.kext you won't get full shutdowns (though that said on my Kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2 with kernel 9.2.0 vanilla using netkas's install guide... I had it working for a while). The danger is that with the screen black, thinking your laptop is off, you put your laptop in a daypack wrapped in a sweater - and the laptop overheats and dies. I am not the only one to have lost a laptop in action this way, sadly.

I have suggested to Taruga and would suggest to anyone who knows how to do it and would like to share their solution here, that he write a patch or use some third party application simply to remove the AppleHDA.kext at shutdown and reinsert it at startup. Doing so manually works perfectly for me, but doing so is a nuisance.

I think this is what you're talking about, AppleHDA Fix.

I tried it on my Acer 4310 with ALC268 and now shutdown is working. I can't understand Italian but i just install the fix.

Hope it will work on your Acers...

I think this is what you're talking about, AppleHDA Fix.

I tried it on my Acer 4310 with ALC268 and now shutdown is working. I can't understand Italian but i just install the fix.

Hope it will work on your Acers...

Wow, just read this. Haven't tried it, yet, but shall and will report back. Need to run it by an Italian speaker or a crappy translation program. Nice find, collit99! ;)

Now THIS is interesting. I was all set to apply the patch but, in the interests of scientific vigour, having installed Taruga ALC268 patch version5 and having then installed AppleHDA.kext via kexthelper B7... I shutdown my computer and then booted up. Then I shut it down again. Usually at this point shudown fails. Not this time. I played a few avi files. I shutdown. It shutdown fully. How odd... I hadn't installed the AppleHDA fix. Rather than post straight away I repaired permissions and tried a couple more shutdowns and restarts. The laptop is shutting down fully. Now, it's true that I have been playing around in the bios but I have played around with the bios in the past to no avail. I think what has happened is that Mysticus C* 's Complete 10.5.3 update package did the job -

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry776281

In that the links sometimes change, what' you're looking for is a thread called: Complete 10.5.3 Package including extra drivers an patches, fixed original ahci drivers, hdd icons, 10.5.3 nvinject...

From that update I selected TOH speedstep kernel and didn't install Natit - has somehow given me a platform where then installing Taruga ALC268 and AppleHDA.kext gives me a stable and complete Shutdown! Very happy about that!

From the top then, the laptop I am speaking of is the Acer 4720z with dual core, santa rosa, GMA X3100.... a fairly standard budget Intel Acer. I installed iATKOSv2.0i with default Speedstep kernel, no Natit.kext (which the VGA/Intel/x3100 checkbox installs; I prefer to install the Apple Leopard Graphics update package from Apple, doesn't need Natit, seems a little smoother; at first boot you will need cpus=1 until you have installed said Leopard Graphics update), put a tick in remove thermal kexts, intel Sata support, Speedstep package...

Then install Mysticous complete 10.5.3 update, selected TOH speedstep ....

then install Taruga's package/HDA kext (do a search on Google for Acer 5220 Taruga alc268 insanelymac - and it will take you to a thread with the specific 5220 sound package that works on other Acers that use ALC268... follow the instructions, use kexthelper).

If people could report back it would be good to hear if this is a consistant thing. I haven't heard of anyone getting around the shudown problem, re Taruga, from just changing a couple of bios settings).

------------------------------

Re the AppleHDA fix patch, I can't read Italian but having installed it on my other Acer which has iATKOSv2.0i 10.5.2 and wasn't shutting down... it looks as though the patcher does what I was looking for, namely removing AppleHDA.kext at shutdown and reinserting it at startup. It worked (Acer Extensa 5620). There is a very long lag before the Volume slider icon shows up on the finder bar but who cares, it works. So again, nice find collit99. I had been trying to find something like this for months. Again, with Mysicus C* 's 10.5.3 update package it might not be neccessary but I haven't tested that theory on the 5620 yet. More later!Incidentally, regarding temperatures. TOH speedstep kernel seems little different from Netkas's one. Using Temperature Monitor I found no significant difference in working temps. The 5620 runs at a very warm 54 - 58 when playing an xvid movie. If multitasking... I think a laptop cooler would be a good idea.

Also, I am looking into an application called Coolbook. More on that later, though there is a good thread on the subject of temperatures, here:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry775951

In case that link goes down, the name of the thread is: ALL Fan related issues HERE. Laptop fans, overheating, cold boot no fans +, Discuss & help test ACPI kexts & other ideas for solutions. It was started by 00Diabolic ~~ who I had been mailing questions about the possibility of a kext removal replacement script for the sound problem but we'd had little success figuring it out!