Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

Which version of bios do you have?

I have travelmate 2490 and they use the same bios, but i cant suspend it. Led even doesn't become orange, it only shuts disk and monitor, and fan is still runing...

hi everybody

I am using acer aspire4315 laptop.i have succesfully installed osX10.4.8. but no audio, wifi and webcam(crystal eye)

please help me to solve my problems(atleast audio!!!)

while i am trying to connect to net thro, blutooth and my nokia6233, no communiction to modem why???????

Hi guys. Just wondering if you guys can help me up with this.

My Acer Aspire 4920 specification as below.

Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T7300 (2MB L2 cache, 2.0 GHz, 800 MHz),

Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset

3GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (Intel® GMA X3100)

250GB SATA HDD

WLAN: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

LAN: Gigabit Ethernet

Just wondering can this notebook support Mac ?

somebody help me for installing leopard kalyway method on my acer 4720?specs core 2 duo T5450,display intel x3100 btw i'm only selected EFI Mbr...instalation works until 100%, but after restart, only spinning icon.Thanks...

somebody help me for installing leopard kalyway method on my acer 4720?specs core 2 duo T5450,display intel x3100 btw i'm only selected EFI Mbr...instalation works until 100%, but after restart, only spinning icon.Thanks...
Hi Andi2008,try installing IATKOS there's now the 10,5,2 ver it worked very well on my 5620z.see my other post in this 3d.hi
hi everybodyI am using acer aspire4315 laptop.i have succesfully installed osX10.4.8. but no audio, wifi and webcam(crystal eye)please help me to solve my problems(atleast audio!!!)while i am trying to connect to net thro, blutooth and my nokia6233, no communiction to modem why???????
Hi

if u have intel wifi it doesnt work. For the audio install Taruga kext if u have ALC268. Webcam dont work at all as I know, but try to search in the forum. there's somebody that succerfully tried to get to work.

Try deleting the ApplePS2Mouse.kext (make a backup first before you delete it) from inside ApplePS2Controller.kext then delete Extensions.mkext and reboot to see if it works.

Thanks for the input ;) The problem turned out to be due to using netkas's modified Applesmbios.kext. Not selecting that during the install process gave me a working keyboard.

For those wondering, Leopard runs faster than Vista on this basic dual core laptop - Acer Aspire 4720Z - though it does only have one gigabyte of memory and it is possible to skinny Vista down so that it runs almost as fast. That said, it takes hours and lots of background reading in order to do so. If I could just... cut out... a few... more...services... I can't quit Vista yet until I get the wifi working, which it would seem is not yet possible.

I did have one alarming moment when I found it hadn't powered down fully; it was getting very hot in my carry bag, thank goodness I got to it in time. I would personally advise people in any kind of a hurry to do a physical shutdown by pressing in and holding in the button. As far as I am aware doing so doesn't give the operating system indigestion in the way that it does with Vista?

If somebody can help me, it's pissing me off to be not able to do it correctly... Damn :angry2:

First, I tried to install Kalyway 10.5.1 from a DVD. Yeah, I made a partition with Hiren Boot CD-Acronis disk director.

I boot with the command -v at the starting. No crash or kernel errors. Seem to be fine! I format my partition from the disk utility. Working nice! :D I customize with the Vanilla kernel, MBR (no GUID plz!), Azila Audi, Network (should be for a Broadcom wire and Atheros 5007EG (I know I'm a lucky guy). Ok fine, I start the installation.

Oh fudge!! Remain 7 minutes to the installation, my laptop crash, shutdown suddenly! -_-;):P It's seem the ACPI is not supported and my CPU had a over heat.

Second time, I boot the iAtkos r2. With all the same command and stuff. At least, I was so happy to see the installation going up fine. BUT! Remain 7 minutes to the installation, my laptop crash, shutdown suddenly! WTF!??!

To get much mad, the disk utility rip off my data partition. I lost everything :( And the bootmanager of Vista was gone.

Please, give me a hand, it will be appreciated!

Acer 5720Z 3620 serie

CPU - Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2330 1,60 GHz

RAM - 2 GB

Chipset - Intel 965M Santa Rosa

GPU - Intel GMA X3100

Audio - Realtek HD Audio ALC-268

HDD - Toshiba 160 Gb SATA

DVD - Opti Arc (something like that)

Wi-Fi - Atheros AR5007EG A-B-G (Yes, Atheros is nice!)

LAN - Broadcom NetLink Gigabit

CardReader - Ricoh Integrated FlashMedia Controller

Ext - Intel Turbo Memory 1 GB

Finally, I solve some problems. In sense of I sucessfully install Kalyway 10.5.1. Vanilla Kernel, Audio Azalia ACL88*, EFI MBR. But when I reboot, then the Apple logo is displayed but restart in loop all the time.

What can I do? :)

Hi there. I think I am right in saying the problem is that the vanilla kernel doesn't support your processor and so won't boot up. I found the same thing with a Pentium D processor. I may be wrong, though, as I have read that some people have got vanilla working with Dual Core. Most people will be assuming a Core 2 Duo processor, though. At any rate, try again but without the vanilla kernel. If I remember correctly - EFI, MBR, Darwin86. Kalyway benchmarks slightly better than iATKOS but iATKOS is the easier install because you don't need to be plugged into an external monitor during the install process. If you go Kalway you will need to either install the Natit.kext for Leopard (use kexthelper B7 to install kexts - it's so much quicker for new users) or carefully install the Kalyway 10.5.2 update and the Apple graphics update, which mitigates the need for Natit.kext and works better than it.

I'm afraid you won't get that wifi card working - people have been trying for a while - and will either have to change it, which is fiddly and not without risk (see my first post on page 1) or get a USB wifi; specifically I used to use a Sweex with a Tiger driver. Again, see my opening post on page 1. It's a very cheap and easy solution, plus if you use it on a lead you can easily position it without having to keep moving the laptop around to find a good signal.

If you get Leopard working, please try and Shutdown via the Apple menu. If the laptop doesn't fully Shutdown you could end up causing it to overheat if it's in a laptop bag or day pack. One specific thing that can break Shutdown is in trying to get sound to work beyond the basic Azilla stopgap by messing around with patches and a modified AppleHDA.kext, but there are others. I got mine working by using an Acer 5220 package, which included a Taruga patch and modified AppleHDA.kext - it didn't work on one laptop and caused it to overheat, but worked perfectly with my Aspire 4720z (both of which use the same sound processing chip as your laptop). Azilla works but not with headphones or microphone.

After installing any new kext, try and shutdown from the Apple menu and see if you can still hear the fan running after leaving the laptop to sit for an hour or so. It's unnerving. On most laptops you will notice the pilot light is still lit up but not all of these are prominently displayed. Some Acer laptops are known to have overheating issues if you are using anything other than Vista with the pre-installed Acer power management package, those from the gemstone range. I think that may only apply to the Core 2 Duo ones; my dual core one is fine - 4720z.

You can rescue the Vista by first making sure it is the active partition and then booting from the Vista CD and letting it repair the boot sector, an initial occupational hazard of getting a dual boot setup going.

You say you have lost data?

Hope this helps. :)

You have to upgrade your bios prior to install Leopard for resolve AHCI issue. The Pentium that you have seems to work with Leopard, mine 5620z works well (Dual Pentium T2310).

Try installing Iatkos instead of Kalyway.

See my post in this 3d for installation walktrough.

hi

my post

If somebody can help me, it's pissing me off to be not able to do it correctly... Damn :)

Hi Chris, have you made any progress yet? Can you please let me know if you did? Here's what i did:

-update- booted with usb drive plugged in and that seems to work now, hehe... strange.

ACER ASPIRE 5672 WMLI ++ Kalyway 10.5.1 install

SPECS:

- Intel® Centrino Duo T2300@1.66 GHz (2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)

- Intel® 945PM Express chipset

- Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

- ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400

- 1024 MB DDR2

- 160gig SATA

- Realtek HD audio ALC88x

- BIOS version: v1.3234

STEPS FOLLOWED:

on system start hit F12 to boot from dvd, then type F8 when prompted

type cpus=1, hit enter, start loading files from DVD

first screen:

choose language (dutch)

click next

open disk utility

in disk utility, format drive to hfs+

partition into two partitions

first partition: hfs+, second partition: journaled.

under options for first partition choose guid (bootable disk for intel macs)

close disk utility, in setup choose custom install.

check boot_efi_guid

done -> install, skip disk check

++ installation complete!

on reboot, remove dvd, hit f8 for startup options

type cpus=1 -v for 1 cpu and verbose mode, system will boot in registration form.

fill out forms and start osX.

now its up to getting the drivers to work,

no usb - after reboot with usb plugged in this seems to work now

no sound

no graphics support so 1024x768 res

no powermanagement (sleep does not work, reboot and shutdown do)

no wifi

no lan

Forgive me for the loud font but some things should be shouted out.

Whether or not you are new to this, iATKOS is a much easier install on a laptop than Kalway. You can have full working sound (if your Acer uses the ALC628; many do) and Shutdown!

1) You don't need to be plugged into an external monitor if you're installing on a laptop with iATKOS and your laptop uses the widely used intel X3100 graphics chip, you just select it as an install option from iATKOS' installer. With Kalyway you have to go off and find the Natit.kext and, sensibly, install it with kexthelper.B7.

and as if that wasn't enough!

2) If you don't like what the good Mr. Kalyway has done with the appearance of Leopard, you have to download and install a package to revert it back to what Leopard was meant to look like.

3) And if your laptop uses the ALC628 for sound, this is a biggie. If you install the Taruga ALC628 patch and AppleHDA.kext (look on the boards for a thread about the ACER 5220, from there you can download the package; an easy install if you follow the instructions) on Kalway and you're using the Vanilla kernel, said package kills Shutdown. You might think your laptop has shutdown because the screen has gone black but you might just have failed to notice that the power LED is still lit up. If you leave it sitting for a few minutes you might hear the fan. This very thing, which I accept full responsibility for, killed one of my laptops which overheated while wrapped in a sweater in my day pack. You think some thermal cutout circuit is going to save you? Hah! Don't bet on it. The same thing, I just found, doesn't happen with iATKOS. Yay! But -

- unfortunately, though... when post 10.5.2 update you install the Leopard Graphics Update... it kills Shutdown on iATKOS if using the vanilla kernel. Damn!

SO! My suggestion to new users who want to find out what the Apple experience is about and aspire to Apple ownership one day, would be, go with iATKOS. Install 10.5.2 as per the instructions on the forum but DON'T install the Leopard Graphics Update... which is a damn pain because it apparently benchmarks much better than just using the perfectly good Natit solution included in the iATKOS install options.

Incidentally, if anyone has a solution to the shutdown problem post Leopard Graphics Update, I'm all ears.

Hi there. I think I am right in saying the problem is that the vanilla kernel doesn't support your processor and so won't boot up. I found the same thing with a Pentium D processor. I may be wrong, though, as I have read that some people have got vanilla working with Dual Core. Most people will be assuming a Core 2 Duo processor, though. At any rate, try again but without the vanilla kernel. If I remember correctly - EFI, MBR, Darwin86. Kalyway benchmarks slightly better than iATKOS but iATKOS is the easier install because you don't need to be plugged into an external monitor during the install process. If you go Kalway you will need to either install the Natit.kext for Leopard (use kexthelper B7 to install kexts - it's so much quicker for new users) or carefully install the Kalyway 10.5.2 update and the Apple graphics update, which mitigates the need for Natit.kext and works better than it.

Finally, I erease my fresh install. I think my missunderstanding of the situtation and the fact of my Vista wasn't accessible anymore leave me angry and I wipe my HD. But the fact is : Did I reinstall iAtkos for the 3rd time and, personnally, my partition schema is not recognize by the Disk Utility. My disk made error in verbose mount like "Unmountable boot device". After in Disk Utility, my three partitions (1st Vista, 2nd Os x86, 3rd DATA part in NTFS) take note that my second part is blank and empty!! Both of them seems to be unmountable. So, what is the problem. AHCI, IDE Mode in BIOS??

Yes I lost data at the first try of installing iAtkos. I format the Osx part and after.. nothing left in so I was horrified and {censored}.. Not very good for my health, I know!

You have to upgrade your bios prior to install Leopard for resolve AHCI issue. The Pentium that you have seems to work with Leopard, mine 5620z works well (Dual Pentium T2310).

Flash my BIOS can erease those problems of overheating and the features of HD modes like AHCI, IDE SATA (or haste mode, my working partner said me about..)

My BIOS is actually at the version 1.19. Witch one is the best? The latest?

Can you help me to get through this multiples "rational" problems and thanks for helping me to get inside Os x86.

If you can summarize the installation, it will be appreciated!

Cheers!!

Frank

Can you help me to get through this multiples "rational" problems and thanks for helping me to get inside Os x86.

If you can summarize the installation, it will be appreciated!

Cheers!!

Frank

First download the live image CD of gparted and burn it to CD. Boot from it and, if Vista takes up the whole hard drive, shrink Vista with it. What you are left with is the rescue partition, Vista and blank space. Within that blank space make two 'Primary' 'FAT32' partitions.

Boot up from your iATKOS install DVD. Before installing, go into Disk Utility from the Tools menu and format the two FAT32 partitions as journalled with names like, say, Mac 1 and Mac 2. You don't have to have two Mac partitions, obviously; I set up my hard drive in that way so that I can rescue one set up if the other gets corrupted, it saves a vast amount of time.

During setup, select Vanilla kernel, EFI, MBR and select x3100. The install process takes about fifteen minutes or so. You might find that the first time you boot up, you have to type in -legacy at the single user command prompt or even -X or a combination of both. One of the more annoying quirks about having dual iATKOS or Kalyway partitions is that occasionally one or the other might not bootup that you don't even get the spinning cog, just the apple, that you have to shutdown and try again; it always boots up on that second startup.

Download kexthelperB7. Install the Taruga patch for ALC628 (if your Acer uses that sound set up) and then use kexthelper to install AppleHDA.kext. Doing so gives you sound from the speakers and from the headphones and a working microphone. Unfortunately if you installed Kalway, the Taruga/AppleHDA combo kills Shutdown.

Ok, some good news for ACER owners. First, PCCard.10.5.2.Beta2.pkg.zip from Chu-Nan at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=644917

fixes my Broadcom ethernet NIC and the iwi3945 drivers now load correctly.

Am I getting the wrong end of the stick with this? Does this mean you can run the Intel 3945abg card?

I've got a Kalyway 10.5.1 install on my laptop that this package doesn't work with but it's the only version of OS X that i've found to install and be stable on my Aspire 5920g.

I did also try the leo4all dvd but found it to be very unstable with lots of different problems.

Would there be a way to get this driver working on a 10.5.1 install? (i'm using the vanilla kernel from the kalyway 10.5.1 dvd)

First download the live image CD of gparted and burn it to CD. Boot from it and, if Vista takes up the whole hard drive, shrink Vista with it. What you are left with is the rescue partition, Vista and blank space. Within that blank space make two 'Primary' 'FAT32' partitions.

Boot up from your iATKOS install DVD. Before installing, go into Disk Utility from the Tools menu and format the two FAT32 partitions as journalled with names like, say, Mac 1 and Mac 2. You don't have to have two Mac partitions, obviously; I set up my hard drive in that way so that I can rescue one set up if the other gets corrupted, it saves a vast amount of time.

During setup, select Vanilla kernel, EFI, MBR and select x3100.

Ok thanks for the tips. I use Acronis disk director 9 in Hiren Boot cd! But I'm not sure it resolve my problems of mounting my partitions. I know my BIOS gonna need a flash but witch version. I'm at the 1,19. My first partition is NTFS, second blank and the third NTFS. Update: I dont't have the Darwin_boot in the menu Utility. I red it's very useful but I'd the 1.0iR2 vers?

And for the audio, thanks for the help because it's not very evident. And at all, I DON'T want to kill my new Acer :D

By the way, did you know if the sleeping, shutdown and reboot will work and how I can gwt it?

Thanks Detosx to take time for me teaching :P

I seem to be getting by on two hours of sleep a night but am very tired. Am I right in saying you have used a thrid party utility like gparted to format the Mac partition to FAT32 and then used Disc Utility to turn that FAT32 partition into Journalled? The Darwin bootloader should be there on the first boot up after install. At some point when you try and bootup Vista you will find it appears the Vista partition is screwed but it's just that the vista partition needs to be made active using gparted, say, and then use boot from the Vista DVD and select repair. Then boot from gparted again and make the Darwin/Leopard partition active again. Now Darwin should let you select Vista or Leopard without problems. To mount the Leopard drive in Vista you will need MacDrive. If using the Kalway installer DVD for Leopard you can can select a tool that will allow you to read and write the windows partition.

I will try and re-read what you wrote, probably at the weekend, sorry, very tired. :)

Detosx i just sold hp tx1000 and got my self acer 4720z...

my problem is wen i use iatkos ir3 equeate patch i can install the leopard but network and wifi is not detected i understand tht lan wont work but broadcom wireless shud work as it did on my hp... i sold my hp to get a cheap mac via acer.. i even tried leo4all which isntalls perfect also but some time i get waiting for io at dict something error like that...

can u exactly tell me is there any method to get wifi to work...

Detosx i just sold hp tx1000 and got my self acer 4720z...

my problem is wen i use iatkos ir3 equeate patch i can install the leopard but network and wifi is not detected i understand tht lan wont work but broadcom wireless shud work as it did on my hp... i sold my hp to get a cheap mac via acer.. i even tried leo4all which isntalls perfect also but some time i get waiting for io at dict something error like that...

can u exactly tell me is there any method to get wifi to work...

Hi Xad, no I'm afraid the wifi card won't work, though I know people have been working on it. Meantime I use a $20 USB dongle from Sweex, which actually works better than the internal wifi cards of any laptop I have used! It weighs next to nothing. You have to unplug it before booting up and replug it, or it's not detected but other than that I'm happy.

Sweex LW053 - widely available in Europe. If not available in the US I would think there must be others that work but you would need to research to be sure.

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html - you want the second driver down. Yes, it's for 10.4 but it works fine with Leopard with the Sweex.

p.s keep an eye on those temperatures, I'm not sure if on install of iATKOS I shouldn't have opted to remove some of the kexts responsible for the fan and so on. Mine runs just the right side of hot but only just. As you may be aware in Windows on a laptop a driver takes care of fan/speedstep/temps. With OSX86 we don't have that driver, so the cpu and fan may be running at full throttle, which probably isn't the smartest on a laptop. My install is EFI/MBR with the vanilla kernel but I want to get a speedstep kernel and keep those temperatures in check, even at the sacrifice of some speed. Want to keep this cute little fella healthy.

Here is a quote from an iATKOS thread, though I know nothing about the poster:-

If you have overheating problems, you can delete Applefan.kext from the extensions folder. After deleting that on HP nx7400 my average cpu temp dropped from 80 C to 63 C. This way you can use Vanilla kernel without burning your computer.

A little more background reading. Netkas has brought out a speedstep kernel that apparently works well but it's 9.2.0 - if you are slap bang up to date using the vanilla kernel, etc, you want 9.2.2 or you will have problems and need to run a script. I'm waiting for netkas to bring out 9.2.2.

I do increasingly wonder if using the vanilla kernel on a laptop makes sense!

Thanx DEtosx...

Guess Selling of my hp was bad move and i am totally frustrated with acer gotta sell this too and get a mac for my self tht wud be the end of my woes...

m in India and ppl here are hp crazzy apple has yet to make a mark in average user segment...

my hp was working with leopard except for the dreaded geforce 6150...

:)

Thanx DEtosx...

Guess Selling of my hp was bad move and i am totally frustrated with acer gotta sell this too and get a mac for my self tht wud be the end of my woes...

m in India and ppl here are hp crazzy apple has yet to make a mark in average user segment...

my hp was working with leopard except for the dreaded geforce 6150...

:)

Hmm, pretty much everything works with the Acer, though, not a bad stopgap on the way to owning a real Mac. You do have to be patient and methodical, though. I would do a non vanilla kernel install (so taking advantage of Speedstep to keep those temps down and the battery life up). Using a USB wifi solution is not just a cheap solution, in many ways it is better than the wifi card that comes in a laptop - because it's at the end of a cable, you can position the usb wifi dongle wherever the wifi signal is strongest, which is so much better than shifting your laptop to some uncomforable position! Though the build quality is no better than average that Acer is excellent value for a smaller screen model. The screen quality is on a par and possibly a shade better than a Macbook and almost on par with the MacBook Air. Don't be disheartenned, just go with the non vanilla kernel and speedstep, it's the more sensible install for a laptop. -_-

hey people i have a Acer Aspire 4720Z i have installed leopard on with iATKOS all works fine i just to work on the sound

i gave up on the wifi card also i tried to connent a ext. monitor using the vga port on the side but it's not working i will

play with it i'll post the result

Just a quickie with regard to the 9.2.2 kernel - I'm tired, little out of date - if you don't install the Time Machine update, which contains a 'hidden' kernel update to 9.2.2, and if you installed the 10.5.2 update with the vanilla kernel, the kernel you are presently using is 9.2.0 - Netkas has a modified 9.2.0 kernel which includes Speedstep and solves shutdown issues on some computers, which it seems to me is near essential if you are using a laptop. Apparently you can find that kernel on irc.

I have a dual boot setup so I'm going to try said Time machine/9.2.2 kernel on one partition and Netkas 9.2.0 Speedsetp on the other. Someone said the new kernel runs slower but he was the only one to report that so I'm doubtful. I want to see if 9.2.0 Speedstep runs a little cooler on my 4720z. I will repart back in a few days.

mrl3ig65 - be aware that you can have headphones/speakers/mic working on that laptop using Taruga's ALC268/AppleHDA patch - but it kills complete Shutdown - the screen goes black and you think it's off but it isn't (fortunately the 4720z has a great big power button that is hard to overlook; it remains illuminated though the screen goes black) which is kind of ******** serious on a laptop! I have read that Netkas' 9.2.2 Shutdown kernel doesn't fix Shutdown but I will try for myself. I would suggest getting a USB sound card, they are very cheap but make sure you buy a compatible one. If you just want sound from the speakers, the Azilla (spelling?) one in the iATKOS setup will give you that.

I'm writing deseperately to find a way how I can sucessfull install iAtkos..

Since my last post, nothing change at all. It's all the same stuff.

The question is.. Did I can flash to the latest BIOS version (in Acer site actually it's 1.33) for enchanced in the IDE-SATA mode.

Giosh, can we make a last big resume of my fresh install please.

:(