Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

Everyone (taking it as read everyone has purchased Leopard) if you're going to go the 10.5.6 route - - you might want to consider IPC_OSX86 rather than attempting to use 10.5.6 combo updater and script and juggling kexts and kernels. I have had issues going the combo route - occasional kernel panics, heat (even with the IntelCPUManagement.kext blocked/removed) the screensaver comes on though it is set to 'Never', slow transfer of data between partitions... I was using iDeneb 1.3 previously. (msingh, I haven't read a complete or partial sleep solution for Acer laptops. Anyone else?)

Even using IPC_OSX86, though, you might or might not have shutdown issues, even if you select OpenHaltRestart.kext In my case the problem seems to be down to the ALC268 package that I was using.

There are so many variations of the ALC268 package - e.g. the older installer 1 or 2 or installer 5 may give you working sound and mic or just sound - but might also kill shutdown in 10.5.6. HDA shutdown Fix3 has been superseded. Specifically, using IPC_OSX86 on an Acer Extensa 5620 and Aspire 4720z respectively, I used -- go to the Hardware and Drivers forum / Sound / "New ALC861VD ALC268 ALC660/660VD, No kernel panic!" -- MadTux ALC268_A.zip for the 5620 and MaxTux_collit_ALC268_B.zip on the 4720z. Shutdown now works. It might also work for you but you might have to put up with a little hiss (4720z). You will additionally need HDAhelper.kext from Kabyl, a link for which is on the same page. I read that PPF3 is going to add a further ALC268 option to the installer, so people not confident installing kexts might want to hold off until then and see what works for them.

hello to all. I own an Acer aspire 5673wlmi. Do you know whats the best way to boot mac os x on? with kalyway.leo4all,ideneb or something else? and the way to install please. thanks for everything :)
Cmad, perhaps you will have more luck searching than me but it looks as though your laptop's graphics chip is a problem. The closest I saw to a solution is in this thread. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33153 and http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140553 Without QE and CI, though, OS X is a pretty joyless experience.

Hi,

after numeral attempts, i succesfully upgraded from kalyways leapard 10.5.2 all the way up to 10.5.5! (It took me 5 failures before success!)

The only problem is now that my internal mousepad & keyboard ain't working (since 10.5.4) !

I have an Acer Aspire One ZG5 (aoa 110) with 1524 memory & 30GB 1.8" HDD

does anyone knows how to fix this problem?

thnx in advance!

Symbiot

Hi,

after numeral attempts, i succesfully upgraded from kalyways leapard 10.5.2 all the way up to 10.5.5! (It took me 5 failures before success!)

The only problem is now that my internal mousepad & keyboard ain't working (since 10.5.4) !

I have an Acer Aspire One ZG5 (aoa 110) with 1524 memory & 30GB 1.8" HDD

does anyone knows how to fix this problem?

thnx in advance!

Symbiot

We are are discouraged from posting urls so, re your sound not working, let me signpost you to visit the aspireoneoneuser homepage and look for a post called 'ALC268 kext! working'. In other words, someone called pentiumpc has sound working on his Aspire One.

There is also a link for getting the wi-fi working.

The keyboard issue is a common one. How did you update to 10.5.5? If you used an installer package it might have had a 10.5.5 ps2 keyboard fix and mouse fix in the installer. For instance, Mysticus C* on insanelymac has a pre and post installer for 10.5.5 and it has a ps2 keyboard fix. It didn't work for my Acer 4720z; it might or might not work for the Aspire One.

I notice on the IPC_OSX86 (which is 10.5.6) installer there is an option for keyboard and mouse fix. I don't know if that would work with your Aspire One keyboard but it worked with my Aspire 4720z which can be a pain to get to work compared to other models. The disadvantage with updating to 10.5.6 is potential heat issues. I would be tempted to stick with 10.5.5 for a couple of months, unless you about a specific advantage or compatibility enhancement in 10.5.6. In other words, let others road test while you patiently enjoy the stability of what you have.

What sort of battery life are you getting?

I think I 'killed' my Acer Extensa 5620... Leopard installed great (everything but wireless seemed to be working), but before I had a chance to do much of anything, it went to sleep and/or died --- now when i press the power button, the light flickers on, then nothing.

pressing on + F2, delete, f10, and various other combinations don't work either. I took out the RAM and CMOS battery (twice) -- still I'm getting the same response. Any ideas or did I just kill my Extensa?

My Hack Pro Laptop acer 5620-6830

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 1.5 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: BOOT.EFI.V80

Serial Number: not shown

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1025011F / sound through speakers only no mic no line out

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N: All Working DVD functions read and write!

Firmware Revision: WP03

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media:

Type: DVD+RW

ID: MCC A01

Blank: Yes

Erasable: Yes

Overwritable: Yes

Appendable: Yes

Write Speeds: 2.4x

Intel GMA X3100: All working except mirror

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

Memory:

Bank 0/M1:

Size: 2 GB

Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Speed: 667 MHz

Manufacturer: Mfg 0

Part Number: SODIMM000

Serial Number: 1234-B0

Bank 1/M2:

Size: 2 GB

Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Speed: 667 MHz

Manufacturer: Mfg 1

Part Number: SODIMM001

Serial Number: 1234-B1

System Power Settings: sleep functions were disabled by me, but working

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Sleep On Power Button: No

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Sleep On Power Button: Yes

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel

Product: ICH8-M AHCI

Speed: 3.0 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

TOSHIBA MK2035GSS:

Capacity: 186.31 GB

Model: TOSHIBA MK2035GSS

Revision: DK022A

Serial Number: 878WF17OS

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

ACER

hello users i've the worst acer notebook for hackintosh :

Aspire 6930g

t9400,2.53,4gb of ram

VIDEO : Nvidia geforce 9600M gt 512 mb is recognized with nvdarwin 1.2.3 but no 1366*768 resolution and no qe/ci ...if i delete nvdaresman leo start(only 1024*768) , with nvdaresman leo start in black screen.

Audio : rtl 888 don't work, i try all kext for this but nothing, recognized and no sound

Wireless : intel 5100 don't work.... i try with brc 4322, no recognize (with iatkos 10.5.5 i've airport and ethernet(neither)...airport is turned off and don't work and ethernet is atheros(don't work)

ok?tnx

i sell my notebook now ;)

First succeed with10.4.10 on TM290 pentium m 1.5 512 everything work fine and now use 10.5.2 on TM6292 T7100 1.8 2GB a bit more rough always have to switch on an off 4 - 5 time to boot up often freezing at coconut logo. when use -v got something like "depend on both com.apple or apple.com :D or something. ,when got in still couldn't get bg3945 wireless to work but bcm 5787 work fine and bluetooth sound all basic workwell even verygood fast smart and beauty if not go mobile apart from fan too noisy its too hot can burn yourhand easily(from its metal chell) battery last down to merely 2 hours (3with vista) even force to single core get me not far from 2 hrs. but it almost never quit on me no freez (apart from boot up ) no any thing thats hit you when in a hurry . but I love it :D but I'm not gonna buy mac either. it always make me feel worth for money I pay when it comes to the lowest model.

ha ha says it the balance OS ever . (I don't know much anyway) now in vista come post some pic later bye .

Edit:- I have come to think that installing the Vanilla kernel is not the best of ideas with a laptop, especially if you are a new user. Also, it bears repeating, this is a taxing but relatively fun hobby for existing laptop owners who don't have the money, yet, for a real Mac. There really is no substitute. Thanks to this forum and others like it I am a happy Mac owner (Mac Mini). Don't buy a laptop with a view to putting the Apple operating system on it, that's just daffy. If you're unahppy about Vista's performance, you might be one of the unfortunate people with a laptop with only 1gigabyte. Vista is not a happy bunny on that little memory. An upgrade to 2gb is cheap. Hobby and stopgap measure aside, save yourself a lot of time and buy yourself a wonderful Macbook. B) Still not convinced? Take a look at the MacBook's battery life! Hackintosh's don't fare well in that area.

-----------------

Here, after many months posting to this thread, is the setup that works for me as of Friday May 2nd 2008.

My final distros of choice for my Acer 5620 and Acer 4720z are:-

iATKOS 10.5.1, which I have on one partition - you can use the Taruga/applehda.kext combo on this one without killing shutdown (though it does very occasionally fail to shutdown). Full sound and a working shutdown. That was a holy grail for me - speedstep and battery meter and working sound and working shutdown (please, please, please don't underestimate how important that is - this does not work with 10.5.2.).

On the second partition I have Leo4allv3 - default speedstep kernel. I use this as my desktop replacement with a creative xmod usb sound card. Wifi works using a Sweex usb wifi dongle, as referred to elsewhere in this thread.

I have two Leopard partitions so that if one breaks I repair it via the other.

Problems I am having at the moment are it can take a couple or more attempts to successfully boot and occasionally the keyboard isn't recognized. As few if anyone else is reporting said problem I think it may be due to having Leopard on two partitions confusing Darwin boot manager.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a very good idea to wade your way through all ten pages. Keep in mind this hobby is not without risk. Vista really ain't so bad with 2 or more gigs of memory. MacBooks are a good investment in terms of time and money saved, plus they hold their value in resale better than do 'regular' lapops. Also, you're going to have to re-image the laptop's hard drive with the original Windows Vista setup if you want to sell your laptop. Food for thought!

Below, for the sake of continuity with the posts the come after it, is the original start to this thread:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I would start an Acer thread. Acer make cheap and robust notebooks, beloved of students, that represent a good stopgap for those who are some ways from affording their first macbook. I am assuming that you have done the decent thing and have purchased Leopard. If not, please do so. Also, please use your computer to promote Mac ownership. Yep, I'm an Apple fan boy but with good reason and purchased a Mac Mini which ultimately my mother bought off me. I am keen to get hold of a next generation Mac Laptop when things are less lean.

I have an Acer Extensa 5620, the model with the 200gig hard drive, Core 2 Duo processor and the GMA X3100 graphics chip.

I first installed Kalyway.

Unfortunately Kalyway doesn't come with an X3100 option. In the install options I selected EFI MBR. Whenever I install a new operating system I like to keep the drivers down to a minimum, installing them one by one so I can figure out if there are any conflicts. Kalyway froze during bootup with the gray cog freezes. I went to single user mode and typed cpus=1 Doing so allowed me to boot up to a solid blue screen but with sound. I could hear the setup jingle but couldn't see anything. I quickly shut down. Those jingles drive me nuts. I booted into safe mode using the -X command. I went through the setup routine, then plugged in an SD card reader. I installed natit.kext using kext helper B7 (if you're a noob or just plain tired after work, this save a lot of time). I rebooted but found that I got the frozen cog again. I used the cpus=1 command and everything booted up and worked fine. Kalyway has messed around with the appearance of Leopard, changed the folders and the dock colour but... not a big deal. It worked.

Then I tried iATKOS. I had spoken to uphuck about my adventures with X3100 using TOH and the particular Natit.kext I got to work. I think that is the kext he used. To cut a long story short, after scrolling down the instructions list on the installer and following it to the letter - I selected EFI MBR and the vanilla kernel options and X3100 - I had a perfectly working Leopard, including sound.

What isn't working.

Wi-fi - I need to change my wifi card for either a Dell or an EDIT - THE AHEROS DOESN'T WORK Atheros AR5BXB6 EDIT - THE AHEROS DOESN'T WORK. Mini-PCIe. Don't quote me on those, those are Google searches, wi-fi replacement cards that have worked on other laptops and Leopard. Instead, I use a sweex usb wifi dongle. Works with the Tiger driver downloadable from sweex's website. Only cost £10/$20.

A lot of people tend to go for a Dell 1490 as a replacement wi-fi card, though I don't personally know how well that card works in Acers. Anybody? It's easy to find on ebay and inexpensive. Fitting it may be another matter. It's easy popping these things out but less easy clipping in the two stiff attaching wires with their flimsy plug/socket.

Edit - due to a mishap with my HP laptop, I changed over to a BRCM1020 wireless card - which was instantly detected on the subsequent bootup. Please be aware I have only done light surfing with this, thus far, and not downloading. See below for details.

Crystal Eye webcam - I read that someone who installed Leopard found this worked with his Acer laptop but it doesn't work on mine. I did find an application called PIP which does allow you to tweak your webcams settings but... though you get to see your slightly surprised face within the application ... it doesn't work alongside applications you might want to use when using a webcam, so it's pretty useless. I haven't found a working driver, yet. Anyone else?

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/pip.html - perhaps someone can extract a working driver from this?

Sleep - sleep doesn't work. Doubtless there are workarounds. Anyone have any power saving tips?

I hope this helps someone and, Acer user or not, you might like to help, too. :D

I get it to work with macam but only with ichat and have to install every time

by the way forgot to tell i use kalway 10.5.2 work mainly use external usb cause it the fastest

hi to all.i installed leopard but i didn't fint efi .mbr patch in the kalyway 10.5.2 and didn't check it during the installation.after install it restarted but didn't boot os x. please help me. i have an acer apire 5673wlmi.i have to use ideneb or other method?

I think I 'killed' my Acer Extensa 5620... Leopard installed great (everything but wireless seemed to be working), but before I had a chance to do much of anything, it went to sleep and/or died --- now when i press the power button, the light flickers on, then nothing.

pressing on + F2, delete, f10, and various other combinations don't work either. I took out the RAM and CMOS battery (twice) -- still I'm getting the same response. Any ideas or did I just kill my Extensa?

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. It sounds as though your power supply might have died, which is to say the mains transformer unit that you plug into the your laptop. Does the green light on it, as opposed to the green light on the laptop, illuminate? If so, they are cheap to replace. Even then, if the green light does illuminate, try going along to an Acer dealer and, provided they have a power supply there that is rated the same as yours, try and see if that works. Try swapping over the main battery with another and see if that makes any difference.

I know Acers get a bad rap with some people, some techs say the mains socket gets loose at the very first bump, but I find them pretty reliable, albeit my 5620 came with one dead USB port... Everything else worked perfectly and three USB ports is enough for me, so I held on to it. It is very rare that hardware dies early on, unless your laptop overheated; the 5620 runs hotter than some but even then, unless you were using it on a pillow and blocking the ventilator vents...

My friend uses a laptop fan base under his 5620 as he does a lot of high intensity video work; it lowers the heat by 10 degrees C. Heck, regular MacBook Pro users quite often buy those fan bases! Also, as others can testify, the external power unit does get hot unless kept well ventilated.

Let us know how you go. I hope it's just the external power supply. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear about people having trouble with their installs, it can be very frustrating. Also, some laptops graphics chips just aren't compatible; without QE/CI working (quartz and core image) the project becomes a little pointless; vesa graphics looks awful and not all software will run without QE/CI enabled. Even those laptops that should work can be a pain to get working - my Acer Extensa 4720z, for instance, has a booting problem that afflicts some Acers under OS X where the laptop doesn't always boot up past the boot screen and needs a hard reset and several attempts to get to the desktop - all of which which does make getting a MacBook, used or otherwise, seem like good value.

One problem that I have been having was that while the broadcom BCM4311 (which I believe is the same wireless card as the Dell 1390, but there are different versions of the same card, which doesn't help matters) works well with my Acer Extensa 5620, the same card wasn't working at all with my 4720z; it wasn't even detected. Having ordered a second one from Hong Kong, I wasn't happy, initially I thought I had a dead card. After a lot of research I found that with some Acer/Compaq/HP models you have cover pin 20 on the BCM4311/Dell1390 with a thin sliver of insulating tape and use Chun Nan's patch IOPCIFamily.kext The card is now detected but the kill wifi switch no longer works; the wi-fi light is always illuminated. Not a big deal but... time consuming is the point!

hi to all.i installed leopard but i didn't fint efi .mbr patch in the kalyway 10.5.2 and didn't check it during the installation.after install it restarted but didn't boot os x. please help me. i have an acer apire 5673wlmi.i have to use ideneb or other method?
As I said, your problem is that your laptop comes with the ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry999646

Kazubu quote:-

QE and CI are supported, no resolution change possible. You can only use 4:3 resolutions provided by VESA mode by using a parameter at boot. Your native resolution is not 4:3, no way to get it.

There is another url link there with other users. I had no luck finding another 5673wlmi user who has got this working, but you might. Google is your friend, as they say.

First succeed with10.4.10 on TM290 pentium m 1.5 512 everything work fine and now use 10.5.2 on TM6292 T7100 1.8 2GB a bit more rough always have to switch on an off 4 - 5 time to boot up often freezing at coconut logo. when use -v got something like "depend on both com.apple or apple.com :P or something. ,when got in still couldn't get bg3945 wireless to work but bcm 5787 work fine and bluetooth sound all basic workwell even verygood fast smart and beauty if not go mobile apart from fan too noisy its too hot can burn yourhand easily(from its metal chell) battery last down to merely 2 hours (3with vista) even force to single core get me not far from 2 hrs. but it almost never quit on me no freez (apart from boot up ) no any thing thats hit you when in a hurry . but I love it :D but I'm not gonna buy mac either. it always make me feel worth for money I pay when it comes to the lowest model.

ha ha says it the balance OS ever . (I don't know much anyway) now in vista come post some pic later bye .

I get it to work with macam but only with ichat and have to install every time

by the way forgot to tell i use kalway 10.5.2 work mainly use external usb cause it the fastest

A while since I have tried macam but the last time I did it didn't work with the Extensa 5620. However, an application called CamTwist 1.7 does allow the cam to work with Photobooth; you need to startup camtwist first. I'm not sure it works with iChat, however. The application is free but I notice he provides a paypal link for those who are grateful. The Crystal Eye on most budget Acers is pretty poor quality but fun I guess.

hello users i've the worst acer notebook for hackintosh :

Aspire 6930g

t9400,2.53,4gb of ram

VIDEO : Nvidia geforce 9600M gt 512 mb is recognized with nvdarwin 1.2.3 but no 1366*768 resolution and no qe/ci ...if i delete nvdaresman leo start(only 1024*768) , with nvdaresman leo start in black screen.

Audio : rtl 888 don't work, i try all kext for this but nothing, recognized and no sound

Wireless : intel 5100 don't work.... i try with brc 4322, no recognize (with iatkos 10.5.5 i've airport and ethernet(neither)...airport is turned off and don't work and ethernet is atheros(don't work)

ok?tnx

i sell my notebook now ;)

I had a look around and ended up reading another post you had written! Not a lot of support out there. That is one seriously nice laptop you have, though. Not sure I'd want to sell it. I don't want to indulge in crappy and contentious operating system politics but, for those with newer but incompatible systems, Windows XP can be skinned to look like Leopard, as I believe can Vista. Windows 7beta I'm not sure about.

For those who have an Acer 5920 I found a nice looking thread for it, here:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...34310&st=40

If that link dies, the thread you are looking for is called Acer 5920G + Leopard 10.5.5 Vanilla Retail GUIDE 2.0, Everything working

my friend detosx. my laptop has ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1600 and in kalyway says it works. My last news is that i tried to dual boot vista with mac osx. I have only one hd.partition1:3gb preinstalled xp from acer, partition2:vista ultimate,partition3:my files and partition4:installed leopard kalyway. first formatted part4 to fat 32,then activated.installed kalyway succesfully,but didn't reboot. I had HFS+partition error. So i put again vista dvd,in com prompt activated vista partition,reboot vista succesfully,installed easybcd add mac os entry, and reboot. I managed to see bootloader,selected leopard to boot, but when it started i saw the grey screen with the apple logo and freezed there. i had to unplug the pc to restart. what do u think.

thank u in advance. :rolleyes:

my friend detosx. my laptop has ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1600 and in kalyway says it works. My last news is that i tried to dual boot vista with mac osx. I have only one hd.partition1:3gb preinstalled xp from acer, partition2:vista ultimate,partition3:my files and partition4:installed leopard kalyway. first formatted part4 to fat 32,then activated.installed kalyway succesfully,but didn't reboot. I had HFS+partition error. So i put again vista dvd,in com prompt activated vista partition,reboot vista succesfully,installed easybcd add mac os entry, and reboot. I managed to see bootloader,selected leopard to boot, but when it started i saw the grey screen with the apple logo and freezed there. i had to unplug the pc to restart. what do u think.

thank u in advance. :D

The first thing to do is to boot up with the -v prompt - when you're on the EFI/Chameleon bootloader, select the OSX partition and then type -v and press return - so you can see where things are going wrong. I forget that there can be a family of one model of a laptop and each with a different video chip. I still suspect it's a video driver problem and the 1600 appears to be a chip that caused people headaches

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...6812&st=400 Post number 401 looks helpful. Looks as though you might also have to edit the plist with the vendor numbers for your graphics chip; you can find out what those numbers are using OSX86 tools from PCWiz. Right click on the kext, show contents, open the plist file in text edit. I personally then reinstall kexts, so to speak, using kext helper, repair permissions, delete extensions.mketx, reboot with -f. The latter is probably in no way neccessary, just force of habit. Again, you can use OSX86 tools.

To boot up to the desktop, in safe/vesa mode, type -x -v and possibly even cpus=1, something I used to have to do on first install of Kalway 10.5.2 on first boot.

I was looking at the installer on PCWiz new IPC_OSX86 installer - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear - and it appears to have a driver for the ATI 1600 that at least would be up to date, but it doesn't mention 'mobility', so I don't know if the desktop version of that card is essentially a variation of what's in your laptop and will work. What you could do is boot up to the desktop using the -x cpus=1 prompt and extract the 1600 driver with pacifist and install the kext using kext helper, if pacifist works in safe mode.

I would always look for folks using the same ATI chip, though.

The first thing to do is to boot up with the -v prompt - when you're on the EFI/Chameleon bootloader, select the OSX partition and then type -v and press return - so you can see where things are going wrong. I forget that there can be a family of one model of a laptop and each with a different video chip. I still suspect it's a video driver problem and the 1600 appears to be a chip that caused people headaches

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...6812&st=400 Post number 401 looks helpful. Looks as though you might also have to edit the plist with the vendor numbers for your graphics chip; you can find out what those numbers are using OSX86 tools from PCWiz. Right click on the kext, show contents, open the plist file in text edit. I personally then reinstall kexts, so to speak, using kext helper, repair permissions, delete extensions.mketx, reboot with -f. The latter is probably in no way neccessary, just force of habit. Again, you can use OSX86 tools.

To boot up to the desktop, in safe/vesa mode, type -x -v and possibly even cpus=1, something I used to have to do on first install of Kalway 10.5.2 on first boot.

I was looking at the installer on PCWiz new IPC_OSX86 installer - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear - and it appears to have a driver for the ATI 1600 that at least would be up to date, but it doesn't mention 'mobility', so I don't know if the desktop version of that card is essentially a variation of what's in your laptop and will work. What you could do is boot up to the desktop using the -x cpus=1 prompt and extract the 1600 driver with pacifist and install the kext using kext helper, if pacifist works in safe mode.

I would always look for folks using the same ATI chip, though.

Thank you very much for your help.here are the photos i took during the bootloadingpost-347608-1231856705_thumb.jpgpost-347608-1231856782_thumb.jpg

post-347608-1231856758_thumb.jpg

post-347608-1231856799_thumb.jpg

I need your expertise.See them and tell me what do u think.I already downloaded IPC_OSX86 installer but im waiting your opinion. :(

It's like reading tea leaves. You want to post those pictures on another thread and get an expert on it. I know three things that mess up bootup are incompatible graphics chip, incompatible Sata hard drive or setting and also I read somewhere ethernet. It looks as though you selected an ethernet driver from the installer? More so it looks like an incompatible acpiplatform problem. I would do what I tell others and that is, if you are having problems, start over but this time don't install anything but the bare minimum, which is to say your motherboard chipset, graphics card, kernel and bios. The exception to that one is if you are using an Acer with a GMA X3100 graphics chip; for some reason with a lot of installers if you select the GMA X3100 driver you are then unable to bootup to desktop, whereas leaving it blank it works perfectly on the default X3100 driver.

When installing IPC_OSX86 my preference would be the Voodoo kernal; it's much less fussy than the stock kernel. Don't forget to select motherboard chipset because IPC doesn't have a default one; google it if uncertain what your motherboard is. As I say, go for a mimimal install. You can use Pacifist to extract kexts to get sound/wifi etc working at a later date.

hi all,

i've updated my kalyway 10.5.1 at 10.5.4 and works fine but yesterday i try to update my mac to 10.5.5 my keyboard dont still working. my notebook is acer aspire 3690 with intel celeron m 420 with gma950 vga and alc883 sound driver. only my keyboard dont works.

anyone knows how do i to solve this/

sorry i wrote this post with 'keyboard viewer' a virtual keyb native of macosx.

thanks in advance.

note, this is my ioreg log to appreciate or check why my keyboard dont work. asdss.rtf

Hi Acer Users !

First, sorry about my english, i'm french.

So, i have an Acer Aspire 3680 ; 10.5.6 evrything working fine, exept :

- Bluetooth (If you have a solution, if not, it's not too bad)

- Sleep (If you have a solution, help will be appreciated)

- PowerManagement (very important for me :/)

Thank you very much.

Maxo0

Hi Acer Users !

First, sorry about my english, i'm french.

So, i have an Acer Aspire 3680 ; 10.5.6 evrything working fine, exept :

- Bluetooth (If you have a solution, if not, it's not too bad)

- Sleep (If you have a solution, help will be appreciated)

- PowerManagement (very important for me :/)

Thank you very much.

Maxo0

In my travels I have only met one Acer laptop user who got sleep to work and I quote 'Sleep working with stock kernel 9.2.0 (i still have 10.5.2) and EFI V8 & V9, some "cosmetic" or estrange problems with 10.5.3, 10.5.4, 10.5.5 (10.5.6 no works for me because the IOPCIFamily.kext patched).' He is using an Acer Aspire 4320 if you want to check if your machine has a similar spec to his.

Bluetooth, I don't use but I would think if you use a search engine with the terms bluetooth and insanelymac it should come up.

Power saving. I am not sure there is any one package that is working well/reporting accurately with 10.5.6 but in general terms, at the moment I use the voodoopower.kext (with the voodoo kernel) which has reduced the temperature a few degrees C on my Acer Extensa 5620. Not a lot of difference, really, when used under load but when idling the temperature does seem a bit lower, which suggests it is working, though not to great effect. I use an Application called Temperature Moninitor to keep an eye on the temperatures. Someone told me it doesn't report acurately and could be underestimating the temperature by as much as 10 degrees C, but I find it useful at least to monitor changes.

Possibly better still would be the speedstep kext by MercurySquad, who brought us the amazing voodoo kernel but who at the moment are concentrating most of their energies on bringing out a 10.5.6 specific kernel.

You might also search out Nun Chan

I will say, one thing I liked about iATKOS was that his DVDs seemed to have been designed with laptop users in mind. The Power management packages seemed to work, within their admitedly limited scope.

You might want to wait until MercurySquad bring out the Voodoo kernel for 10.5.6 at which point they will turn some of their energies back to their speedstep kext.

hi snackole, this is works with me, thank you. My next "adventure" is update from 10.5.6 huh
Anyone reading this. Unless you have specific need of 10.5.6 - and I don't know what that specific need would be - I would consider sticking with 10.5.5 for a month or so, or at least until Mysticus C* has simplified things by bringing out his pre and post 10.5.6 installers and perhaps wait also for MercurySquad to bring out their Voodoo kernel for 10.5.6 . If you look around the boards you will see that 10.5.6 is causing quite a lot of people big headaches, more so than did the jump to 10.5.5. Below is the link to Mysticus C*

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry773294

In the past it has taken him quite a few weeks and updates to perfect his updaters, so even if he brings out his 10.5.6 updaters out within the next few days, as seems likely, you will essentially be a beta tester for them. If you don't know about the Voodoo kernel or want to keep an eye out for the new one, use a search engine and search for Voodoo XNU The Voodoo kernel now comes with an installer, though you might want to wait for the new 10.5.6 specific kernel.

In my travels I have only met one Acer laptop user who got sleep to work and I quote 'Sleep working with stock kernel 9.2.0 (i still have 10.5.2) and EFI V8 & V9, some "cosmetic" or estrange problems with 10.5.3, 10.5.4, 10.5.5 (10.5.6 no works for me because the IOPCIFamily.kext patched).' He is using an Acer Aspire 4320 if you want to check if your machine has a similar spec to his.

Okey

Thx

Bluetooth, I don't use but I would think if you use a search engine with the terms bluetooth and insanelymac it should come up.

Thanks too.

Power saving. I am not sure there is any one package that is working well/reporting accurately with 10.5.6 but in general terms, at the moment I use the voodoopower.kext (with the voodoo kernel) which has reduced the temperature a few degrees C on my Acer Extensa 5620. Not a lot of difference, really, when used under load but when idling the temperature does seem a bit lower, which suggests it is working, though not to great effect. I use an Application called Temperature Moninitor to keep an eye on the temperatures. Someone told me it doesn't report acurately and could be underestimating the temperature by as much as 10 degrees C, but I find it useful at least to monitor changes.

Possibly better still would be the speedstep kext by MercurySquad, who brought us the amazing voodoo kernel but who at the moment are concentrating most of their energies on bringing out a 10.5.6 specific kernel.

You might also search out Nun Chan

I will say, one thing I liked about iATKOS was that his DVDs seemed to have been designed with laptop users in mind. The Power management packages seemed to work, within their admitedly limited scope.

You might want to wait until MercurySquad bring out the Voodoo kernel for 10.5.6 at which point they will turn some of their energies back to their speedstep kext.

Thanks, but i was just talking about the powermanagement, you know, the icone of the batterie in the menu bar.

Thank you a lot for repsonding.

Hi all--

I just purchased an Acer 4720z from CompUSA.com this past week hoping that it would be a great hackintosh laptop (based both upon the hardware specs and comments from Detosx in this thread that he had a working 4720z setup).

I attempted an iAtkos 2.0i distro which has worked for me on other machines--it installed but failed to load. I decided to check out the new iPC distribution with the just released PPF3. Installation goes smoothly but no matter what kernel or patches I select, all I get upon boot after the apple logo is a grey screen with a spinning cursor that flashes black every five seconds or so.

Here are the drivers I'm using:

* Video: Intel GMAX3100

* Chipset: Intel ICHx SATA Drivers

* Audio: ALC268

* Ethernet: none

* Wireless: Broadcom Driver

* USB: Patched USB Drivers

* Power Management: PowerManagement Package

* Required additional fix needed: PS/2 Mouse Fix

At this point I'm not sure which other patches or fixes I need for sure to get it up and running but have typically added the DSDT patch and AppleSMBIOS patch.

I would appreciate any help or tips from Detosx or anyone else...thanks!

-Kavik

Okey

Thx

Thanks too.

Thanks, but i was just talking about the powermanagement, you know, the icone of the batterie in the menu bar.

Thank you a lot for repsonding.

I haven't seen accurate battery meter readings since 10.5.4, so gave up on that one myself. If you have any joy, post here, though I suspect you would have best luck with iATKOS because those guys seem to use laptops; the last time I got accurate readings on battery life it was using iATKOS package and selecting powermanagement from there, but I haven't tried the latest.

EDIT - I notice PCWiz, in his latest PPF for his IPC_OSX86 installer has included a powermanagement package from 10.5.3. Presumably this is working well/acurately for someone out there using 10.5.6. Might be worth investigating.

Hi all--

I just purchased an Acer 4720z from CompUSA.com this past week hoping that it would be a great hackintosh laptop (based both upon the hardware specs and comments from Detosx in this thread that he had a working 4720z setup).

I attempted an iAtkos 2.0i distro which has worked for me on other machines--it installed but failed to load. I decided to check out the new iPC distribution with the just released PPF3. Installation goes smoothly but no matter what kernel or patches I select, all I get upon boot after the apple logo is a grey screen with a spinning cursor that flashes black every five seconds or so.

Here are the drivers I'm using:

* Video: Intel GMAX3100

* Chipset: Intel ICHx SATA Drivers

* Audio: ALC268

* Ethernet: none

* Wireless: Broadcom Driver

* USB: Patched USB Drivers

* Power Management: PowerManagement Package

* Required additional fix needed: PS/2 Mouse Fix

At this point I'm not sure which other patches or fixes I need for sure to get it up and running but have typically added the DSDT patch and AppleSMBIOS patch.

I would appreciate any help or tips from Detosx or anyone else...thanks!

-Kavik

The 4720z is a bit of a pig; I'm not sure I would have bought it back then if I knew what I know, now. That said, it is do-able but it takes a bit of work.

From the installer

9.5.0 voodoo kernel

Do NOT select a graphics driver

Chipset - ICHx Sata drivers and LegacyAppleIntelPiiXATA

Audio ALC628 - you want the new package that comes with PPF3, I think, though I haven't tried it

seatbelt.kext 10.5.5

shutdown/restart

PS/2 keyboard fix - or you won't have keyboard or trackpad

I don't know which is best of the smbios options; I know the makers of the voodoo kernel favor the vanilla smbios, so that might be the way to go, though I would think that would be the smbios.kext that comes with 10.5.5 and I'm not sure how well that works with 10.5.6

OSX86 Tools Utility

Universal OSX86 installer

kexthelper B7

Pacifist

A problem you might find with the 4720z, which is a perfectly nice little laptop, is boot up inconsistancy. Sometimes it can take five or more efforts to bootup, sometimes you can go a couple of times in a row with no bootup problems whatsoever. The problem manifests itself as the grey apple on white screen but with no spinning cog. A few other Acer models have that problem, also. I thought I had solved it by using the latest bios but alas no. It seems to happen with every installer out there. All you can do is gently press the hardware shutown. I say gently because that button is going to have to endure a lot of presses. Sorta makes you wish you'd bought a MacBook!

Another thing to look out for is that if you replace the wifi card for a standard issue Dell/broadcom4311, it's not going to work; you have to put a thin sliver of tape over pin20 on the card. There are a couple of tutorials out there. Read them very carefully to locate the right pin and use proper heat resistant insulating tape, not Scotch tape as someone suggested. Fiddly stuff. That said, there are people out there who have got the existing wifi card to work, just that it is fiddly to set up and maintain.

Some powermanagement setups, specifically where older speedstep is included, mess with the Voodoo kernel, VLC player runs at double speed, iTunes suffers from jitter. Until I read about a powermanagement setup with accurate battery meter readings under 10.5.6, I'm avoiding selecting one from the installer, for now.

Hi 2 all.

I've a problem with my nb Acer Aspire 5520G.

Specs (via Everest):

CPU - AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60

MB - Acer Aspire 5520

Parts of MB - nVIDIA nForce 7000M-610M (mcp 67), AMD Hammer (Bridges?)

Ram - 2048mb

HDD - WDC WD2500BEVS-22UST0 ATA Device (250GB)

Video - nVidia 8600M GS

so, when i try to install leo - it's booting, then it's time to choose where i want to install hack, but there is no drives (in iPC Hack there only cd drive)!

let's go to disk utility here is my hdd (i can see my hdd only in first build leo4all and iPC) i try to format it in HFS+ (Journaled) it trying to create map of hdd or volume, then pc stucks...

i don't know what to do, i tried all builds of leo...no result..

via diskpart i have made a volume HFS+, in disk utility it works, but i cant install on it, there is no choice for this volume...

sry, for my bad english.

Thanks.

Hi N-X, I'm afraid this is an Acer (Intel) thread. Does anyone know if there is a good thread or threads out there for Acer (AMD)? My advice meantime would be to try and find, using google or whatever, someone who has the same model of laptop as you. Use Acer Aspire 5520G and insanelymac as search terms.