Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

Acer tend to release the same laptop in a number of different flavours, nothing unusual about that of course. I think the reason they haven't got back to me is because you need XP to install bios on some computers/laptops. The Extensa 5620 not only doesn't come with XP, XP probably wouldn't see the hard drive. Which leads me to question number one! How did you install it? That being the case, I could install XP an external drive, perhaps, but I do worry the bios is different, that the mainboard/motherboard on the more recent model has been updated. Question! Since updating the bios, does sleep work? Does your laptop shutdown fully? By which I mean the power button isn't illuminated. Are the bios options more extensive than they were, specifically in relation to the hard drive?Nice. What's the speed like? Does it sleep okay? Does it fully shutdown?

Try to integrate SATA drivers to XP+SP2 CD according to

http://paparadit.blogspot.com/2007/06/inst...th-windows.html

It works for Acer Extensa 5220.

bozon42

Nope, you don't need XP to upgrade the bios. In Vista, you could run the bios update software without any problems, but it is important that you run it as administrator (ie. right-click mouse button on the executable), otherwise it won't work. I haven't noticed any difference from the bios upgrade, everything is pretty much the same as before (probably because my 5620's original bios was just one version older than the current one). Sleep and Shutdown work perfectly in Vista just as before. Sleep still doesn't work in Leopard, but I don't think it is the bios' problem...
Hi zfactor, thanks, that's good to know. Does your computer shutdown (fully) in Leopard or like a lot of us do you have to hold the power button down for three to five seconds until the power button is no longer illumiated?
Try to integrate SATA drivers to XP+SP2 CD according tohttp://paparadit.blogspot.com/2007/06/inst...th-windows.htmlIt works for Acer Extensa 5220.bozon42
Thanks bozon42. If Acer get back to me and XP is the only route, as tends to be with some set ups, I will give that a try. IF and when Acer reply!

Hi zfactor, thanks, that's good to know. Does your computer shutdown (fully) in Leopard or like a lot of us do you have to hold the power button down for three to five seconds until the power button is no longer illumiated?Thanks bozon42. If Acer get back to me and XP is the only route, as tends to be with some set ups, I will give that a try. IF and when Acer reply!

You are very welcome.

Shutdown in Leopard works fine for me (even before the bios upgrade). And like I said, you do not need XP to flash the bios, the bios update software runs flawlessly in Vista.

You are very welcome.

Shutdown in Leopard works fine for me (even before the bios upgrade). And like I said, you do not need XP to flash the bios, the bios update software runs flawlessly in Vista.

Acer US have informed me that there is currently no bios update available for the 5620-6830 model. There is an American Acer FTP site but it is password protected. I will email them back but I suspect they drag their heels again and then inform me it's not accessible to the general public.

I have the same problem with one of my two desktop computers. The computer appears to have shutdown - the screen goes black and activity ceases... and then after some minutes you hear the fan start up! In the case of my 5620 the power button remains illuminated but otherwise you would think it was shutdown - until you hear the fan start up half an hour later.

The searches I have done under shutdown tell you which bios settings you need to adjust but the 5620's - version 1.16 - bios doesn't have those settings. I have yet to find a workaround.

One quite annoying problem appeared on my Acer Extensa 5220.

When the PC went to sleep mode I cannot "wake" it up.

Only shutdown via pressing the button helped.

Have you experienced the same problem?

Is there a cure fot this behaviour?

bozon42

So, let me run this by you. You email technical support to ask where to go to download the bios update for your computer, because it isn't in the same place as the driver updates. Technical support reply that you should go to the site you just mentioned in your querying email, or else use the CD that came with your laptop. Said model is one of many that doesn't ship with a CD. As if anticipating my saying that, a phone number was added that turns out to be for spare parts. I am informed that if I do ring it, I will be in for a long wait.It just gets better and better, doesn't it.In the end I gave up. Technical support is a thankless task and the emails fell into the faintly condescending and hopeless category, stock answers that didn't tie in with the original question. I fell back on Google. Finally I found a string on American users who have the same model revision as I have, the 6830 version of the Extensa 5620. I did as they did and as the poster above did and went to the European site. The bios installed without incident and there are indeed some additional settings to play with. I will report back. I was warned that Acer USA are hopeless and indeed Best Buy didn't have any display models, just boxes in cages. Knowing Acer as I do I was happy to take a chance. I don't regret it. The Extensa range, notwithstanding their appallingly flimsy power sockets, are built to a business standard and I like the keyboard. The fact that one of the four USB sockets doesn't work isn't fantastically encouraging but I really have no use for four USB sockets.As I say, I will report back later whether or not this solves the shutdown issue.

I've installed JaS Mac OS X 10.4.8 version a while ago and.. It's working perfectly.. I mean there are no slow downs like in Leopard.. Could you tell me what is wrong with that? When I install Leopard it worked terribly slow.. Now underneath Tiger it's working brilliant..And btw how do I make my X3100 run at 1280x800 in Tiger?How to apply the Taruga patch so I can have sound?EDIT: After I applied the Taruga patch I had sound but... Somehow it switched off my AirPort so I permanently lost my Internet connection. After the reboot the system shows me that I have to restart my computer.. And I can't boot up MacOS any moreThanks a lot!
Hi Grabar, any progress?I can empathize with you on the Taruga patch. Installed as per the instructions and using kext helper B7 to then install the AppleHDA.kext, it works perfectly with my iATKOS partition, provided you turn down the microphone input sliders. However, it rendered my Kalway partition unbootable. I tried reinstalling and repeating the process. After repairing permissions all I could boot up to was kernel panic. The furtherest I got, short of booting into safe mode, is a blue screen. I'm not sure what's conflicting in Kalyway that isn't conflicting in iATKOS. I went through the extensions folder of both and there is little difference. Removing Appleingegratedframebuffer.kext wasn't the answer. I'm stumped. Initially it was working fine, just that I hadn't repair permissions for a while, that's what killed it.

Updating the bios has made no difference to the Shutdown issue - though it has improved Vista's shutdown speed no end!

Those who have Shutdown and Sleep working:-

Are you using the Vanilla kernel or the modified one? Guid?

So, let me run this by you. You email technical support to ask where to go to download the bios update for your computer, because it isn't in the same place as the driver updates. Technical support reply that you should go to the site you just mentioned in your querying email, or else use the CD that came with your laptop. Said model is one of many that doesn't ship with a CD. As if anticipating my saying that, a phone number was added that turns out to be for spare parts. I am informed that if I do ring it, I will be in for a long wait.It just gets better and better, doesn't it.In the end I gave up. Technical support is a thankless task and the emails fell into the faintly condescending and hopeless category, stock answers that didn't tie in with the original question. I fell back on Google. Finally I found a string on American users who have the same model revision as I have, the 6830 version of the Extensa 5620. I did as they did and as the poster above did and went to the European site. The bios installed without incident and there are indeed some additional settings to play with. I will report back. I was warned that Acer USA are hopeless and indeed Best Buy didn't have any display models, just boxes in cages. Knowing Acer as I do I was happy to take a chance. I don't regret it. The Extensa range, notwithstanding their appallingly flimsy power sockets, are built to a business standard and I like the keyboard. The fact that one of the four USB sockets doesn't work isn't fantastically encouraging but I really have no use for four USB sockets.As I say, I will report back later whether or not this solves the shutdown issue.

Hi Grabar, any progress?I can empathize with you on the Taruga patch. Installed as per the instructions and using kext helper B7 to then install the AppleHDA.kext, it works perfectly with my iATKOS partition, provided you turn down the microphone input sliders. However, it rendered my Kalway partition unbootable. I tried reinstalling and repeating the process. After repairing permissions all I could boot up to was kernel panic. The furtherest I got, short of booting into safe mode, is a blue screen. I'm not sure what's conflicting in Kalyway that isn't conflicting in iATKOS. I went through the extensions folder of both and there is little difference. Removing Appleingegratedframebuffer.kext wasn't the answer. I'm stumped. Initially it was working fine, just that I hadn't repair permissions for a while, that's what killed it.

EDIT - I may have been speaking prematurely. Reinstalling Kalway and then migrating my applications from iATKOS, as I have done in the past, and then applying Natit.kext... this time resulted in Kalyway kernel panicing during bootup. I think the problem might tie in with the last set of Apple updates. Possibly the Kalway install is now looking for something, something migrated from iATKOS, that doesn't make sense and causes that panic. I can boot into safe mode but have been unable to find the causes, despite removing and adding kexts and removing tweaking/optimizing apps (which have been known to causes bootup problems when migrated). Annoying vague. I'm going to try a clean install without migration.

Has anyone had a problem with the most recent updates from Apple? Anything broken?

Again, if anyone can get back to me about what kernel and formating/partitioning options they are using, regarding successful shut down, I would be very glad to hear.

Okay, from the top. Re Non shutdown issue on my Acer Extensa 5620.

Three partitions. Vista / iATKOS /Kalyway

With the most recent bios in place - v2.9 from the European update site - I re-gaparted the old Kalyway partition, then from the Kalway installer used Disk Utility to erase as journalled... selected EFI MBR and no other drivers, therefore the default modded kernel. Uneventful install. I booted into safe mode using the -X prompt. I installed the Natit.kext with good old time saving kexthelper B7. I rebooted. Everything fine. I then did a shutdown -

and the laptop fully shudown for the first time, the power button is not illuminated, the fans don't start up half an hour later and suprise you into checking to see if the power button is illumiated. It shuts down.

The only different thing that I have done since that previous days install was not to migrate the applications folder from the iATKOS partition during setup. I don't migrate anything but the Applications (said Migration is another good reason for having a second partition with Leopard on it, saves so much time and you can repair the other Leopard set up, if damaged, from the non damaged one). I'm going to do a clean install of iATKOS in the next week or so and see if there is something included in the Applications folder that gets in the way of Shutdown. I found so many questions regarding it on this forum and elsewhere but no definitive answers. Possibly bios has been a contributary factor, though it didn't make a difference during the previous days attempt; possibly re Gparting and re-journaling in relation to the new bios. Whatever the case, I'm going to clean up this thread a bit, cut out the thinking aloud waffle! Have fun out there.

At the time of writing I have yet to try Sleep.

EDIT - booting up later in the day, the bootup came to a halt with the frozen gear/cog. I had to use the CPUS=1 command to get in. I repaired permissions and installed appzapper, real player, and iLife 08. I also installed Taruga and AppleHDA.kext. I then did a shutdown - and I'm back to square one, the laptop doesn't fully shutdown. I'm sure it's not the sound package that's doing it as I didn't have full shutdown before installing it the previous time. I found that repairing permissions yet again let me bootup past the frozen cog.

To get past the frozen cog and bootup with both cores, you need to delete Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext but at no time have I been able to get shutdown to fully shutdown when I remove that kext.

I have to say, beyond shutdown, I haven't had any noteable problems with iATKOS, beyond no full shutdown and needing to delete Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext, as above (I read that you only need it if your laptop uses the GMA 950 graphics chip). For new users looking forward to relatively painless install I would advise you to go with iATKOS or you might be put off the whole OS X experience. That said, keep an eye on temperatures and be sure to PUSH THE POWER BUTTON IN FOR FIVE SECONDS TO FULLY SHUTDOWN YOUR LAPTOP BEFORE PUTTING IT IN A BAG OR YOU MIGHT FRY IT.

Shutdown problems turn out to be a common issue. If you are using a single core processor, it almost certainly won't affect you. What, though, is the point of having a dual core processor if you can't fully harness that power? If you install Kalyway from scratch, don't migrate your applications from another partition or computer, install only iLife, you might have a laptop that shuts down fully. Then again, it took so little to break that shutdown. I might buy a celeron based Acer and use it for portable use, albeit with a larger capacity battery than they are usually shipped with.

One quite annoying problem appeared on my Acer Extensa 5220. When the PC went to sleep mode I cannot "wake" it up.Only shutdown via pressing the button helped.Have you experienced the same problem?Is there a cure fot this behaviour?bozon42
Hi bozon42, I have been so tied up in trying to find a solution to my problem. I haven't been able to get sleep to work, though that isn't a big loss to me. I suspect you have seen the 5220 thread but for other users who haven't, take a look here:- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=20#entry595724 :(

Hello,

I have an acer 5610Z uk model spec is : Intel dual core processor T5610?

1Gb DDR II Pc2-4200 RAM

120GB IDE Hitachi Drive

Intel GMA 950 Graphics chip

Broadcom Wireless Card

I have the kalyway installer running just now with custom install selected , my question is this is there any obvious reason why the install won't boot up post installation?. I get to the apple power up screen but then get error saying you must reboot your pc this just reboots and does same thing over and over again!! what am I missing here?

p.s I am installing on a freshly partitioned mac journaled hd.

many thanx for any info

Hello,

I have an acer 5610Z uk model spec is : Intel dual core processor T5610?

1Gb DDR II Pc2-4200 RAM

120GB IDE Hitachi Drive

Intel GMA 950 Graphics chip

Broadcom Wireless Card

I have the kalyway installer running just now with custom install selected , my question is this is there any obvious reason why the install won't boot up post installation?. I get to the apple power up screen but then get error saying you must reboot your pc this just reboots and does same thing over and over again!! what am I missing here?

p.s I am installing on a freshly partitioned mac journaled hd.

many thanx for any info

Hi there, hate to say this but try iATKOS!

A more helpful answer... There is clearly some driver conflict. Have you tried booting in safe mode and installing the Natit.kext? To do so, press F8 at the beginning of bootup, select your partition, then type either -X .I suspect you need to install the Natit.kext via Kext Helper B7. You will find kext helper B7 in the Kalyway Applications folder once you have booted up. You will need to download the Natit.kext. Incidentally, do NOT remove Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext as, unlike the GMA X3100, the GMA 950 needs it. You might find, however, that in order to boot you need from there on to type CPUS=1.

If you have no joy with the above, try iATKOS.

Let us know how you go. ;) - especially as regards the SHUTDOWN issue which is a laptop killer unless you are never ever absent minded and always remember to press the power off button rather than do the software shutdown and pop your laptop in your daypack!

Incidentally, uphuck Tiger should work beautifully on your setup. Do you really need Leopard's coverview and 3d dock? Leopard doesn't much like the GMA 950 - you will at times see artifacts and frozen mouse arrows, especially when using Firefox for some reason. Known issue.

Thought id post again in this thread, I have been playing with iaktos and kaly installations on my laptop from an external HDD

iaktos is briliant for being able to shut down properly and showing a battery indicator.. but its abit tempermental, sometimes USB's Ruin the whole installation...like you cant even boot into the OS anymore.. or randomly the boot loader will just stop working... or even the USB ports just stop working rendering the laptop useless...

Kaly is obviously the better installation.. everything works fine except...shut down doesnt work so you must hold the power button for several seconds to shut down (very important if you have a laptop and think you have shut yours down properly it doesnt shut down and the laptop power remains on so dont fry your laptop!)

but the battery indicator doesnt show up in kaly... so people where saying if you got the appleacpiplatform.kext from iaktos and replaced it in the kaly version it would fix this (IT DOESNT!) infact this ruined my 1st better kalyway installation...because when i rebooted i got a kernel panic and was unable to do anything about it.. so i had to re install from scratch

just thought id update people on anything thats important to them.

all this was on a Acer Aspire 5634 (in my sig)

edit: oh ethernet works too.. but wireless doesnt.. (the wireless is strange.. i use a belkin adapter for the wireless because the laptops inbuilt doesnt work.. but this belkin one i use works fine on my tiger installation...) anyway so i install the correct drivers and i manage to get the belkin adapter found by the laptop... and it even shows me the networks around my area... and i connect to my home one

it says its all fine and connected and even tells me the signal strength ect which is all fine.. BUT yet i still cant get on the internet.. (i tried this with WEP off and on)

I managed to isolate my shutdown problem to the AppleHDA.kext. When I remove that, I am able to shutdown properly. This worked both in iATKOS and Kalyway. I am back to square one, sound from headphones wise but it's no big deal - I can use my Creative XFI usb soundcard. Works perfectly. I'm a bit disappointed. Other things can break shutdown, too, but this is the main culprit with me.

damn i tried that also after readin your post (removing appleHDA.kext) it ruined my installation :P ... got a weird error 1st time i restarted where the gray apple screen had a little circle in the middle kinda like a no smoking sign)

then i tried 3 more times and it either says restart or takes forever then brings up that sign again :(

edit: ok 4th time lucky it loaded into the OS and i tried to shut down WORKED! thanks detosx man! that was one of my main problems (incase i accidently fried my laptop) but im getting like a 80% success rate into booting into the OS now :P gona try and repair permissions

Now us acer users just got to try and get the battery indicator to work! and maybe even some wireless!

:D

oh btw has anyone had issues with the track pad? as in it acts mental when you use it? mine runs really fast and shaky, its ok no biggy tho i can use a usb mouse fine :P

edit: actualy omg removing that kext FIXED my track pad too! man detosx you have made my day today my friend :D

edit again lol: ok trackpad still acting mental... BUT LESS mental. just grateful that shut down works now!

anyone got battery indicator working yet? iv tried coconut batter/ slimbattery monitor to no luck... and i tried what someone else said to try which ruined my old installation so NOONE USE IT! , it was to get the appleacpilatform.kext from iaktos and replace it in the kalyway version.. it gives a kernel panic which cannot be fixed!

Ok I sold my old IBook on ebayand ended up buying an Acer Extensa 4620 (there are a ton of models) And Hope to run OSX on that. I have downloaded so far tiger builds from uphuck and also leopard builds from uphuck and the brazil or whatever release it's called. I have REPLACED or at least ordered from ebay a Dell 1490 card I think it is (PCIE WLAN) to replace the stock unit as I hear it works out of the box in OSX. What problems with my other hardware such as sound and video may I encounter on this machine? Wich of the release I downloaded should I hit up first? I PREFER to run Leopard but will run Tiger if it is a must.

Below are two links to the specs of my laptops hardware. Should be almost 100% accurate. Al right OSX86 Gods, let the comments rip!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=024

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...s=&areaid=7

if last URL doesn't work look at specs below (may be messy as I pasted them)

Model

Extensa 4620Z Series

Specifications

Part Number

Varies by model

Processor / Speed

Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor T2310/T2330 (1 MB L2 cache, 1.46/1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB), supporting Intel 64 architecture

Core Logic Chipset

Mobile Intel GL960 Express Chipset

System Bus Speed

533 MHz FSB

RAM / Max RAM

Up to 2 GB of DDR2 533 MHz memory, upgradeable to

2 GB using two soDIMM modules (dual-channel support)

Video Subsystem

Mobile Intel GL960 Express Chipset with integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel Graphic Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100 with up to 358/3843 MB of Intel Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0 (8 MB of dedicated system memory, up to 350/3763 MB of shared system memory) supporting Microsoft DirectX 9

LCD Properties

14.1" WXGA TFT LCD, 1280 x 800 pixel resolution

Hard Disk Drive

up to 160 GB Hard Disk Drive

Optical Drive

8X DVD-Super Multi double-layer or DVD/CD-RW Combo

(varies by model)

Battery, Primary

79 W 7200 mAh Lithium Ion battery pack (9-cell):

4-hour battery life,

53.2 W 4800 mAh Lithium Ion battery pack (6-cell):

2.7-hour battery life or

44 W 4000 mAh Lithium Ion battery pack (6-cell):

2.2-hour battery life

2.5-hour rapid charge system-off, 3.5-hour charge-in-use

(varies by model)

Sound Subsystem

Two built-in Acer 3DSonic stereo speakers

Intel High Definition Audio support

MS-Sound compatible, Built-in microphone

PCCard Support

1Type II PCCard slot

Pointing Device

Touchpad

Peripheral Subsystem

4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394 port, 1 FIR port, 1 VGA port,

1 S-video/TV-out (NTSC/PAL) port

Headphones/speaker/line-out jack

Microphone jack/Line-in jack

5-in-1 card reader (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)

Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam supporting enhanced Acer PrimaLite technology (varies by model)

Modem

56K ITU V.92 PPT approved, Wake-on-Ring ready

Ethernet

Gigabit Ethernet supporting ASF (Alert Standard Format) 2.0, Wake-on-LAN ready

Acer InviLink 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED solution supporting Acer SignalUp wireless technology

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR Enhanced Data Rate (varies by model)

Dimensions / Weight

13.03" W x 9.76" D x 1.17/1.62" H

5.29 lbs with 6-cell battery pack

AC Power

100-240V AC AutoSensing Adapter

i have one acer 5720 , and i have tried every ways to have leopard running.When i tried to intal with iatkos v1.0 , my acer shutdow on installation.When i tried kalyway it install but on boot just appeas blank scree of apples and shutdow again, i one of the times that just give me error plist not found.....Can anyone help me with this?

Hey everyone, I have an Acer Aspire 5570Z running IATKOS on my machine. I wanted to ask if anyone has gotten their wifi to work. I have a built in Atheros card but couldn't get it recognized in uphuck and get it working in leopard. Has anyone had success with this or is it just that way with the Atheros card??

I have an Acer 5672wlmi.

CPU - intel core duo 2300

MAINBOARD - intel i945PM

VIDEOCARD - ATI Mobility Radeon x1400

DVD – Mat{censored}a DVD-RAM UJ-845S

DISK DRIVE – Toshiba MK1234GSX

WIFI – Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network connection

I have had tiger running on it before but switched back to a hacked xp dual booting with Ubuntu because I couldnt get wifi to work w/o a dongle, sleep mode didnt work, my dvd player didnt work, and I dont think the video card worked right either.

what would you guys recommend? kalyway or iatkos?

do I have to have tiger installed first?

will sleep mode work?

Is there a patch/kext for my wifi card? Is it easy to install one of the ones you can get off ebay that leo instantly recognizes?

is there a patch/kext for my videocard?

DVD?

I saved my self the trouble. In case it is hopeless to get the intel WLAN card going, I bought a Dell 1490 (?) on ebay that I know will work out of the box. Search for them and you can EASILY find them for 10 bucks or less! It saves a headache and let's face it, if I have no wifi, what's the point?

Owning a 5920G..

Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz

2GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8600m GT 256MB DDR2

250GB Western Digital SATA HDD

4965 ABGN Intel Wireless

ALC888S Realtek Codec

Installed iATKOS, now using Vista XP Leopard triple boot.

Working:

- Graphics (using installer from http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=15)

- Sound (worked from 1st boot, however only internal speakers. When I installed the ALC888 codec, the internal speakers doesn't work but the jack works. So I chose to use the internal speakers.)

- Ethernet (haven't try yet but it's shown as unplugged in Network so I'll take it as working)

NOT working:

- I can't detect Vista's partition in my Leopard. >.<

- Wireless (yet to try http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/)

- Sleep (won't wake up, but haven't try to fix it)

- Booting (40% of the time it won't boot up normally. Don't know why. Anyone has the problem?)

Hi guys, new here..

I have an Acer Aspire 5672WLMi which has a Core Duo T2300, an Intel chipset, and an X1600 Mobility. Unfortunately, I'm having nothing but problems with Leopard. With Kalyway, I can install it (have to use cpus=1 though), but when I try to boot up, even if I try boot -x for safe mode, the startup stalls and the grey cog/wheel stops spinning. I have to hard reset. I just downloaded iATKOS and am trying that.

Anyone else had the problem with Kalyway, or better yet, anyone else have this model?

BTW, I am using a freshly formatted drive with a MBR partition running Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Grabar, any progress?

Hi Detosx :blink: I'm afraid that my Mac adventure is suspended for a few months. The reason why is that I'm learning for the high school finals that will take place in May. I've got loads of work and desperately need my laptop to access encyclopedia, wiki and other useful articles because I don't like to use the manual really. :D And I will be taking the extended english exam, so if you see errors please notify me. :(

However I still hope that I will find some time to test that Kalyway option on an external display. If that won't make it for me I will have to think about some hardware updates for my laptop (it's difficult when talking about laptops, but I would like to see how a 250 GB Fujitsu would work with Mac - remember that my major problem is the hard drive question).

Even though I'm not trying for the moment, I still watch the whole forum and thread and hope that I find someone with similiar problems to mine. :P

greetz,

Wojciech

Owning a 5920G..

Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz

2GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8600m GT 256MB DDR2

250GB Western Digital SATA HDD

4965 ABGN Intel Wireless

ALC888S Realtek Codec

Installed iATKOS, now using Vista XP Leopard triple boot.

Working:

- Graphics (using installer from http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=15)

- Sound (worked from 1st boot, however only internal speakers. When I installed the ALC888 codec, the internal speakers doesn't work but the jack works. So I chose to use the internal speakers.)

- Ethernet (haven't try yet but it's shown as unplugged in Network so I'll take it as working)

NOT working:

- I can't detect Vista's partition in my Leopard. >.<

- Wireless (yet to try http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/)

- Sleep (won't wake up, but haven't try to fix it)

- Booting (40% of the time it won't boot up normally. Don't know why. Anyone has the problem?)

Hi i've your same problem with boot (same laptop)

i've found the reason of the problem but not a solution...

the cause is a "wake event" sent on USB bus (maybe from the internal webcam or internal tv tuner: both are detected as attached to usb)

removing IOUSBFamily.kext ... solve the problem but ... no more USB :gathering:

i've tried with different USB versions but the problem still remains

i've also tried loading the "problematic" kext only after boot ... but it doesn't load

somewhere iv'e read can be an USB & video problem ... so ... waiting for the 10.5.2

if someone knows a temporary workaround ...

we are here

hi all