Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

Interesting an alarming. Someone on Amazon mentioned that if you format over Vista on the Gemstone range you are also formatting over Acer software necessary for the fan to work properly. I thought that was bull but what you are saying suggests there might some truth to it. It seems mad that in this day and age a manufacturer wouldn't consider the possibility that you might 'downgrade' to XP or try a Linux distro.

Have you tried updating the bios?

That said, unless you find an article somewhere that says a bios update definitely addresses said issue... if your laptop was indeed overheating during the install, I would give it a miss. Vista isn't awful, or at least not when you upgrade the memory to 2GB and cap some of the graphics settings. :D

Yeah i had the latest BIOS, its funny i've been playing with it some more and i can get the fan to run... but its on constantly and it requires me to nearly overheat it and restart it. I guess OSX cant control it so the fan just stays in the previous state after the apple boot screen. Its not too big of a deal im running server 2008 on it at the moment and thats fine and Leopard works perfectly on my main workstation... so i cant really complain.

I have an Aspire 5720 and it runs fine, no overheating at all. Having said that, mine is a step down from yours and not as powerful.

The only thing that bugs me is the fact that there is no support for any kind of built in networking for it.

EFI is another issue. It functions with EFI but cant use the vanilla kernel, as you cant enable NX support in the 'bios' (Insyde's EFI).

Hmm strange but yeah maybe the T7300 is lame and runs too hot. Networking wise i would be ok, i swaped my wireless card for an old dell 1390... heh if only the fan worked better. I do have to say acer's BIOS's are a bit shall we say lacking is options heh.

Credits for this tip go to illistic.

For those of you who get kernel panics from ACPI issues there are two boot flags you can use:

cpus=1

or

idlehalt=0

cpus=1 will disable one processor core on your machine. idlehalt will stop either core from going into a low power state but will run both cores at full power all the time so it is likely your laptop will overheat and crash. from what I can gather it seems the crash happens because the kernel is given bad ACPI info from the Acer BIOS and can't wake the second core if it drops into a low power state. with cpus=1 the one core will always be busy and therefore never go into a low power state.

My Extensa 5620 runs quite hot, even when not doing much other than watching movies or doing some writing (the casing trim at the bottom of the screen has warped slightly; I wouldn't use this setup for editing video or rendering!) so I am keen to put Vista on a separate partition, which may be next to impossible as I have the hard drive partitioned as GUID. I'm told it is possible with Vista 64 or XP 64 but a lot of work. Also, in terms of battery life, using Leopard on the road with just a four cell battery... isn't the smartest, lol.

YAY!!! I got my Aspire 5720y to boot vanilla kernel. But only if i use the cpus=1 flag. Im trying different combinations of appleacpiplatfrom.kext to try and get it to work without the flags. Anywhon have any ideas.
Remove Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext - worked for me. GMA X3100 doesn't need it, whereas GMA950 does.

Incidentally, I am aware that removing certain kexts causes the laptops fans to rely on bios but I am nervous about doing that and supplemental reading on the subject has tended to be sketchy. However, a lot of people report their Tigers at least running cool and quiet when removing said certain kexts and letting the motherboard's bios do all the work. I imagine it would be the same deal with Leopard.

I'm wondering if it's just the Gemstone range that have overheating problems/non or improperly working fans under Leopard.

My Extensa 5620 runs quite hot, even when not doing much other than watching movies or doing some writing (the casing trim at the bottom of the screen has warped slightly; I wouldn't use this setup for editing video or rendering!) so I am keen to put Vista on a separate partition, which may be next to impossible as I have the hard drive partitioned as GUID. I'm told it is possible with Vista 64 or XP 64 but a lot of work. Also, in terms of battery life, using Leopard on the road with just a four cell battery... isn't the smartest, lol.Remove Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext - worked for me. GMA X3100 doesn't need it, whereas GMA950 does.

Incidentally, I am aware that removing certain kexts causes the laptops fans to rely on bios but I am nervous about doing that and supplemental reading on the subject has tended to be sketchy. However, a lot of people report their Tigers at least running cool and quiet when removing said certain kexts and letting the motherboard's bios do all the work. I imagine it would be the same deal with Leopard.

I'm wondering if it's just the Gemstone range that have overheating problems/non or improperly working fans under Leopard.

Ya i have removed Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext. I cant see how that would relate to vanilla kerenl booting issues.

Hi, my acer is aspire 9920

Succes install with Kaliway 10.5.1 + KAliway combo upgrade 10.5.2, KErnel 9.2.0 and Grafic update.

Succes install again with perfect install method ( not tryed update)

But...

No sound ( seems to be Intel HDA??)

No eth ( Broadcom ??°

No wireless ( Intel 4965 Next gen a/G/N)

No webcam

Impossible to install any drivers for Nvidia 8600m GT 512 Mb

No multi memory card reader.

Just system running ( good)

Without Time machine ( impossible to apply the fix.)

I thing Tmie machine require mac adress for eth, but no eth

No X11

i thing this is impossible to work because printer is hp 2430 tn ( network), files are on NAS, no Internet, No email,... But calendar and itunes.

bios is EFI

Ya i have removed Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext. I cant see how that would relate to vanilla kerenl booting issues.
I had iATKOS on one partition and Kalyway on the other. The iATKOS partition booted up without problems, with the Kalyway I had to use the cpus=1 instruction. I compared the Extensions folders of both. The iATKOS one didn't have Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext. I removed this from Kalway, and have had to do so on subsequent installs, and... no need to use cpus=1. I am assuming that subsequent to its removal you have used kext helper b7 to install Natit.kext. That's all I did.

I had iATKOS on one partition and Kalyway on the other. The iATKOS partition booted up without problems, with the Kalyway I had to use the cpus=1 instruction. I compared the Extensions folders of both. The iATKOS one didn't have Appleintegratedframebuffer.kext. I removed this from Kalway, and have had to do so on subsequent installs, and... no need to use cpus=1. I am assuming that subsequent to its removal you have used kext helper b7 to install Natit.kext. That's all I did.

I have already removed that kext as a pre-requisite for the x3100. It has not made any difference. The problem seems to stem from NX support in bios. I do not have any option of that sort.

I have already removed that kext as a pre-requisite for the x3100. It has not made any difference. The problem seems to stem from NX support in bios. I do not have any option of that sort.
Hmm, the core spec of your laptop is very similar to mine. Odd. Have you tried iATKOS?

Hello all,

I have an Acer Aspire 1642 WLMI:

-Pentium M 1.73mhz (740)

-80 gb ATA HDD

-DVDRW

-Intel i915 (gma900)

-Intel Pro/Wireless 2200bg

I can boot Kalyway 10.5.1 just fine and I'm getting to the installation screen...I partition the disk MBR and then choose sse2 and MBR EFI as my install options...problem is...it gets about halfway installed and then ALL activity just stops...nothing from the HDD or DVD drive...What gives? I tried reburning a new disk (at 1x) and I STILL have the same problem...I'd really like to get this fully installed...Can someone help me?

Thanks

hello all im trying to find a cheap laptop for osx ....my old pc just isnt cutting it was thinking about buying this 1 an acer aspire 4721 specs

Pentium Dual-Core T2330

160GB hard drive

Built-in wireless 802.11bg (not sure which brand)

1GB of DDR2 memory

Burns DVDs and CDs

Built-in webcam

all help apperciated btw if its not good does pentium dual core run vanilla kernel thnx for your help-sean :Phttp://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Aspire...roductDetail.do theres a pic and anything else you guys need again much appreciated

**************HELP NEEDED****************

Hi to all... I have an Acer Aspire 5630 running MAC OSX 10.5.1 Leopard (KalyWay), system:

- Intel Core DUO T7200 (2.0 GZh & 4 Mb cash)

- nVIDIA Go 7300 (128 Mb)

- 120 GB Hitachi HDD

- 2 GB RAM DDR2

- Intel Pro Wireless 3945 a/b/g

- Logitech OrbiCam

- RealTek HDA - ALC883

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE DRIVERS, ALL OF THEM (nVIDIA works fine)....EVERY HELP APRICIATED!!!

Hey there,

I'm running a Acer Aspire 5633WLMi and I'm having some troubles with it.

I boot the iAKTOS v1.0i and it's doin' pretty well while installing. And after it's done it never boots. If i put in the cd it tries to boot setup and as long as I dont press a button it counts down to zero and reboots again. If I take the CD out it just never boots the OS. Theres a black screen and a white stripe on the top left corner blinkin' around.

I tried to search for reasons but every guide I tried doesn't work. Someone got any suggestions?

bb

First off I would like to thank everyone for their contribution to the forum, I have read many post that helped me s great deal. My problem is I have no sound. I also have no internet lan or wireless but I would like to fix the sound problem first. My computer is equipped with a Realtek High Definition Realtek v6.0.1. The hardware profile says (No Built in Audio) After installing AzaliaAudio.pkg the speaker icon next to the clock appears and the volume control works but still no audio and still says (No Built in Audio) I'm using Kext Helper 0.7 to install Kext. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Acer Aspire 7720 Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5 GHz 2GB DDR2 Memory 17 LCD 1440X900 2-250 Hard Drives Duel Boot Vista Ultimate & OSX Kalyway 10.5.1 Leopard NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 256mb (working with NVinject 0.2.1) Broadcom NetLink (Gigabit Ethernet) (not working) Intel Wireless wifi link 4965 AGN (not working) Realtek High Definition Realtek v6.0.1.5413 (not working)
Hi Boondocks. I, too, have an Acer 7720 (it actually is a 7720-6155) yet I have the Intel video card. And thus, I'm curious to know which exact model. I can't get the ISO to do much of anything... and I'm wondering if you had trouble getting it on your system.
Hey i figured id join the posts here,Aspire 9420 with iAtkosWorkingGraphics with NVinject from cdAudio working fine no input tho, can be fixed with the azillia kexts4gb of ram (acer has updated the bios to 1.24 to support this)USB is fine :unsure: Not workingCard ReaderPcmcia SlotWebcam (Here I am currently modifiying macam for the logitech oribcam)
What about your WLAN? Does it work? What kind of card do you have?

Hi - I have the Acer 7720g (see sig)

I installed Kalyway with MBR and no Vanilla. GUID install wouldn't boot and Vanilla wouldn't stop rebooting

The Realtek HDA works with ALC268_Installer2 and the

8400mGS works with CI/QE and all resoultions up to 1440 x 900 with NVInstallerV.33

Obviously 3945 wireless is a no go, but any USB wifi with Ralink 2500 or Zydas 1211 chipset will do the trick

Broadcom Netlink Gigabit (BCM5787M) has no drivers either so D-Link DUB-E100 USB to ethernet to the rescue

Gonna have a go with Macam for the Suyin Webcam, but don't hold out much hope

Triple-booting nicely with EasyBCD (+HnS to protect Vista restore points from XP)

Hi Boondocks. I, too, have an Acer 7720 (it actually is a 7720-6155) yet I have the Intel video card. And thus, I'm curious to know which exact model. I can't get the ISO to do much of anything... and I'm wondering if you had trouble getting it on your system.What about your WLAN? Does it work? What kind of card do you have?
I have the 7720-6395 make sure the dvd is good burn the iso file at a slow speed, this was a big problem for me. my wlan does not work. ALC268_Installer2 has my sound working but no internet. I may try the usb wireless cards, I have read they work with no problem. I have installed Microsoft Office and Adobe Dreamweaver, Flash works well for me. Good luck with the install, if I can help please ask.
Hi - I have the Acer 7720g (see sig)I installed Kalyway with MBR and no Vanilla. GUID install wouldn't boot and Vanilla wouldn't stop rebootingThe Realtek HDA works with ALC268_Installer2 and the 8400mGS works with CI/QE and all resoultions up to 1440 x 900 with NVInstallerV.33Obviously 3945 wireless is a no go, but any USB wifi with Ralink 2500 or Zydas 1211 chipset will do the trickBroadcom Netlink Gigabit (BCM5787M) has no drivers either so D-Link DUB-E100 USB to ethernet to the rescueGonna have a go with Macam for the Suyin Webcam, but don't hold out much hopeTriple-booting nicely with EasyBCD (+HnS to protect Vista restore points from XP)
Thanks for sharing your installation I installed the ALC268_Installer2 and now I have audio. thanks again

Adding my Acer Extensa 5620 to this list - different specs again!! :wacko:

Acer Extensa 5620-6572

Intel Centrino Duo - Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz

Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

Bus Speed 667MHz

Cache 2MB L2

Chipset Intel GM965 Express - GMA X3100

Hard Drive 250GB SATA - WDC WD2500BEVS-22UST0

Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe 10/100/1000

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Acer CrystalEye webcam - Suyin

Realtek High Definition Audio - ALC268

Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller

Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller

RAM - Samsung M4 70T2953EZ3-CE6 1024 MB x2

1280x800 WXGA LCD - SEC3945

Triple-Boot, Vista Bootloader:

Vista 64 Business

XP Pro

OSx86 - Kalyway 10.5.1 - upgraded to 10.5.2 - upgrade to 9.2 patched kernel - MBR_EFI

Dual Core - Working

GMA X3100 - Working with internal LCD

Realtek ALC268 - Speakers - working

- Headphones, etc - Not Working

BCM5787M - Not Working

3945ABG - Not Working

TI PCIxx12 FlashMedia - Not Working

TI PCIxx12 Cardbus - Not Working

CrystalEye Webcam - Not Working

Microphone - Not Working

I had to do some hacking to get the internal LCD and the sound working. But works fine now!

(Here's a link to the thread I culled much of the help from: InsanelyMac - X3100. Basically I moved all the GMA950 kext's and the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext out of /System/Library/Extensions.)

(For the Audio I just moved the AppleHDA kext and installed the AppleAzalia (plain one) from the Kalyway DVD. But I think I'll try some stuff from here: AppleHDA Solution)

I don't spend much time running OSx...the lack of networking makes it pretty boring! :blink: - I have a DLink DWL-G650 (Atheros) PCMCIA Card, but without the Cardbus working that doesn't help. :hysterical: Anyone get that working?

The price was right so I went for an Acer 4720Z. I used iAtkos and everything went well but the keyboard doesn't work - unless you boot into safe mode. Anyone had that problem and found a solution?

The price was right so I went for an Acer 4720Z. I used iAtkos and everything went well but the keyboard doesn't work - unless you boot into safe mode. Anyone had that problem and found a solution?

Try deleting the ApplePS2Mouse.kext (make a backup first before you delete it) from inside ApplePS2Controller.kext then delete Extensions.mkext and reboot to see if it works.

Ok, some good news for ACER owners. First, PCCard.10.5.2.Beta2.pkg.zip from Chu-Nan at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=644917

fixes my Broadcom ethernet NIC and the iwi3945 drivers now load correctly.

In addition, I found out how to inject the DSDT ACPI code from http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php into my BIOS and I now have a fully working dual core CPU. No idlehalt or cpus=1 flags at boot anymore. If you have an ACER 5670 model and would like to test the BIOS give me a PM.

Other ACER users who are having ACPI issues at boot, I started a forum topic with instructions on how to fix your BIOS:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=659984