KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release (the official)

kaly

2,627 posts in this topic

Installing to a USB flashdrive on a Pentium D. Created MBR partition on key and only checked EDI MBR connection in the custom settings, everything else unchecked.

Install works fine. I even run a Disk Validation on the USB key after installer finishes (but before restart) and the USB drive reports no errors.

When computer restarts I get the following error when try to start off USB key:

Jnl: unknown-dev: open: journal magic is bad

Then I just tried using the other partition type (GUI?) and got the install to complete fine. This time I ran Disk Util to repair permissions and the drive no problem.

Restarted and same error again.

Any ideas?

Help!

I have managed to install Kalyway no problem, set my brand new seagate SATAII drive to one partition, MBR and formatted it. I have XP and Kubuntu on another drive with the Grub loader. Once I'd finished the install I manually added OSX to the OS list in grub. So far so good.

When I select OSX It starts Darwin, I select boot and it restarts! This is driving me nuts, I've trawled this thread looking for answers (and it seems like I'm not alone with this problem) and I'm hoping some kind soul can help me out.

My system is:

Dell Precision workstation 390

SSE3

Chip - P4 3Ghz (hyperthreading)

Motherboard - Dell (Intel975X chipset)

Graphics - NVIDIA FX550 128MB

Audio - Onboard (Sigmatel HD I think)

Memory 2GB

HD - Seagate SATAII 500GB

Thanks to everyone on here, and especially to Kalyway for doing this!

UPDATE! Sorry, sorry, my bad. I found the answer to my problems. Vanilla kernel is only good if you have a dual core and my P4 is single core. Reinstalled and deselected Vanilla and it WORKED A TREAT! no sound as yet but it booted up no problems, shiny new mac on my dirty black dell! now where are my apple stickers...

good luck to everyone, and thanks to all the members here, you are all stars!

Skinneh

Just wanted to report back that I believe on USB flash drives (mine is a SD card in an USB adaptor) you have to format using HFS WITHOUT journaling. This fixed my problem.

OSx86 just started up fine now from my USB flash drive!

These forums need to add a mechanism so people can report at the top of the thread this sort of info so people don't have to weed through 90+ pages. Fatwallet forums have this ability. The second post can be edited by anyone.

Hey! Some Body! Help Me Pliace!

Who can upload driver for Realtek Lan (8139). I have iATAKOS 1.0 RC2 for ESS2 only, and my Network say me all it`s work! But in Lan I can ping only me... and nobody can`t ping me((( Who can Help??? Pleace!

So can this install fine on an EVGA 680i SLT with a Intel q6600 with a sata dvd drive and an ide hard drive?

If I right remember, System good install when HDD & DVD-Drive are IDE or SATA together, when HDD or DVD-Drive have some other type, you can find some problems, when try Install it`s Release. :)

Sorry, but I don`t understand your questions, you wont to update MacOS with internet??

He is asking if he can run the Apple Software Update.

I believe the answer is yes if you are using the Vanilla Kernel. Not sure on whether modified kernels can.

Hey! Some Body! Help Me Pliace!

Who can upload driver for Realtek Lan (8139). I have iATAKOS 1.0 RC2 for ESS2 only, and my Network say me all it`s work! But in Lan I can ping only me... and nobody can`t ping me((( Who can Help??? Pleace!

Who can help Me?

Hi,without EFI everything was pretty easy, I got it working!Tried with EFI, when it boots it get stuck with the apple frozen. I'm able to accomplish a -s, but when I exit it keeps on booting for a a while and then with same results (Freeze).

I used:

F8 and "vanilla"

vanilla kernel (both options)

guid bootloader

Thanks a lot and you guys rock! (I gave up with iATKOS, it's really messy...).

Thanks a lot for you help

Hi Azoro.I have the same problem.It stucks in the grey apple.What do you mean by F8 and vanilla ???Where do you apply those??

He is asking if he can run the Apple Software Update.

I believe the answer is yes if you are using the Vanilla Kernel. Not sure on whether modified kernels can.

I would install Kalyway or whatever distro you are using on a seperate drive to test out the Apple update first.

Ok now finally installed correctly on mbr, but system starts darwin boot loader and keeps on rebooting any idea

Sounds like you are starting to learn how to do it .... I read through about 40 pages here to learn all this..

Installer Setup Advice

First, you have a Core chip so do NOT check the SSE2 in the installer. Your chip is SSE3

Second, you have a Core chip so you need both the vanilla kernel stuff so check both boxes

Success intallation on P35-DS3R (rev1). Thanks to Kaly and Dune.

I used the version posted by Wenecon on the usenet (thanks to him). I used the last 7Zip software, no error.

Installation on yellow port, mode ACHI. Hard Drive and DVD.

Purple port (JMicron) are not used and off in bios.

Vanilla_Kernel

Vanilla ACPI fix

NVinject

EFI_mbr

Network works out of the box.

Sound needs an additionnal kext, the ALC889A kext.

Hey kiwinux,

Was wondering what usenet group you found the posting in?

Thanks!

Hey guys!

1. Does someone know why leopard crashes after i started it from the darwin bootloader?

I just see the white apple background with the grey apple on it and then my computer reboots.

2. what does this do: "cpus = 1 -x -f -legacy" ?

yours anima322

Hey guys!....2. what does this do: "cpus = 1 -x -f -legacy" ? yours anima322
cpus=1 - load system with only one core;-x I don`t remember good, but I think "save mode"-legacy" I don`t now, sorry...
Yes it does, go to system preferences than to security, press the icon and there you'll see the firewall settings.
senks )спасибки )))

Hi, I'm a huge OSX86 noob, and was wondering if I could run this version on:

eVGA nVidia 680i SLI

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz

eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB

4GB/DDR2 Dual Channel RAM

160GB SATA HD

(P.S. I know there are issues with the nVidia motherboards and SATA compatibility, so I also have a 15GB IDE HD I can use too. Thanks!)

Please, someone help me out.

I had this running all perfect by accident I guess (two failed installs with yellow triangle, and on the third try, and intro video played instead and let me setup?)

I have a Dell XPS 400 computer.

Pentium D (Dual Core) 3.0ghz processer

256mb nvidia 7900 gs video card

2 gigs of ram

I can't get it working again. I've messed with my BIOS and the formatting and kernels and all that jazz since 3am last night. I haven't slept.

>_<

ok i will try using -v but i´m afraid there wont be any messages at all.

It just reboots! :(

because in an tutorial they said i have to boot the first time with -x -v

and that failed... i just saw the apple "apple" and the white background

then blackscreen rebooting