What if Apple bought AMD?

19 posts in this topic

Purely hypothetically speaking. We all know how poorly AMD is doing right now, and we all know how much cash Apple has got laid aside. What if Apple bought AMD, and subsequently, ATI?

Myself, I can't even imagine the possibilities. The Mac platform could finally start seeing some real games for the same reason that Macs run OS X so well, and consoles play games so well: a controlled hardware environment with highly specific low-level programming. I could even imagine Apple letting us build our own Macs with Apple-approved AMD parts (since AMD produces the whole package deal: CPU, GPU, chipset). Cool things could happen, yeah?

i liked apple better when they were using non mainstream cpus and other components. if they did do this ( which they wont) i assume they would use them exclusively for their own uses

They are never going to let us build our own computers because it damages their image, which is paramount to their success.

I don't know about that.... it could happen....

They did way back in the day and it didn't go so well for Apple. Apple as a hardware company shouldn't have let other manufacturers build Apple clones, that's just money out of their pocket.

If Apple bought AMD and ATI, would there be more games? The hardware would certainly support it but ultimately it's up to the game makers to decide if it's worth their time and money to port their games over to OSX which has a small but steadily growing user base.

*sigh* I said this a few days ago in real life. What it would mean is commercial suicide for apple, because of the horizontal integration and lack of core competency on their part. Lots of money would need to be invested for relatively little gain, and no ones market share would go up.

we would also see the best Macs ever, with Apple making everything.

Probably, but then again some of their investments haven't been exactly, umm....., perfect.

*cough* Pixar *cough*

Is that a joke?

If it is, it's a pretty bad one...

1) Steve Jobs bought Apple from that George Lucas fellow for very little money.

2) This was way before he 'got back' with Apple.

3) He pumped oodles of moolah into it... and it finally payed off with Toy Story.

4) Because of Pixar, Steve became a millionaire many times over... again.

5) Skipping other steps where Steve only made more money, he sold Pixar to Disney, and is now (I believe) the largest shareholder of Disney. This is why you saw ABC be the first to put TV shows and Disney studios the first to put movies on the iTunes store.

Thus, if it wasn't for Pixar, Apple would have had a much tougher time with iTunes, Steve Jobs would be less rich, and Disney would be less happy that they don't get Pixar's revenues.

The end!

If AMD stayed at cheap prices, I think it would be a good idea for low valued systems. But Intel also has a line of cheap dual core cpus, as well as the celeron dual core coming not to long, so I wouldn't beleive apple buying AMD. Unless intel wanted to get rid of competition, but that'd be bad for them too.

intel processors are way better, so personally, i wouldn't like it if such a fancy company like apple with their high quality products (and dito appearance) bought a low budget company with baddet technology than the one from which they get their cpu's now.

but it would be better for the pricing of the macs, i think

I think they will be no gain on that on a costumer view , because no matter how cheap Apple get their processors they still be overpricing its products ...sad but true.

intel processors are way better, so personally, i wouldn't like it if such a fancy company like apple with their high quality products (and dito appearance) bought a low budget company with baddet technology than the one from which they get their cpu's now.

AMD doesn't make budget CPUs. What are you talking about? I remember pre C2D you would never think of buying Intel! Athlon 64 X2 was the best, in terms of price to performance. Post Pentium IV Intel was looking to 4.0 Ghz, X86, powersucking, overheating monsters for the future. It was AMD who pursued efficient, X64 dual core processors.

AMD doesn't make budget CPUs. What are you talking about? I remember pre C2D you would never think of buying Intel! Athlon 64 X2 was the best, in terms of price to performance. Post Pentium IV Intel was looking to 4.0 Ghz, X86, powersucking, overheating monsters for the future. It was AMD who pursued efficient, X64 dual core processors.

Yup , alot of people thinks that Intel is the best company ever because of its Core arquitecture but not long time ago AMD made the first 64 bit cpu and it was kicking Intel`s ass on power consumtion and performance per clock , what im trying to say here is that technology is like that some companies may have the best now and the next year could be {censored}tiest year for them.

Intel has a big advantage because that advertised through the mid '90s. Anyone remember the Blue Man Group commercials? And that uber-annoying jingle? AMD never had that. They focused on creating a better product, which was really putting them ahead, but they seemed to fall pretty quickly after the Core 2 Duo.

Things will start getting interesting with the quad cores, whether people will want architectual quad core, or two dual cores stuck together....

AMD's always been the cheaper alternative to Intel. In the near 20 years I've been using computers, only the recent blip on the radar has AMD been on top of Intel and that was because the P4 was a poorly designed product and now that Intel's got their act together again with the C2D, AMD's back in it's place.