iATKOS and OSx86 (FAQ)

SMCentral

231 posts in this topic

Here are answers to a few questions I saw above.

1. If your laptop is to HOT and fan wont turn on. DO NOT install vanilla kernal. Go back unselect the vanilla options at install time. Youl get better support that way.

2. Battery icon problem two ways to fix depending on system. A. DO not install vanilla kernal and see if that gives you battery icon working. B. Install vanilla kernal but DO NOT install ACPI vanilla. This is what worked for me. I get the battery icon but no speedstep (my fan always works so its a minor loss, to not have the CPU clock lower when idle, plus you can add later when they uphuck gets it working with vanilla kernal).

Also keep in mind. The vanilla kernal will not work with instel speedstep option in iATKOS. If you do not install any vanilla stuff it seems to be the BEST for most systems, best compatibility.

Thank you man , but i don't know how to not install vanilla kernel in the installation , EFI stuff. can you give me the instructions for it . i'm very thankful for your help :D

Will I b able to use this in my Asus G2S-A1 and have the drivers work

the specs are:

C2D T7500 2.2Ghz

Geforce 8600M GT 256 DDR3

Intel 965 chipset

2GB Ram 667Mhz

HDD 160GB

Wireless: Intel 4965 Draft-N

LAN: Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet

Also can I install this onto a external HD and boot off that?

thnx

You have to try an find out. I do know the Nvidea 8000 series cards have issues with mac but I do not know if that is the case. The process involves a lot of trial and error and more than likely not all things will be successful.

i installed iatkos r2 onto an external usb hdd w/out a problem.

make sure your bios support booting from external hdd.

here's my system spec:

SONY VAIO FZ240e

Intel C2D T7250 2.0ghz

Intel GMA x3100 working using SwitchResX to get 1280x800

Sigmatel HD Audio detected, but i dont hear sound from any source

Intel wireless 4965 not working

Marvel yukon 88e8086 detected, but cant seem to connect to any network.

My 2nd attempt at this, my first being an older version. Both times I'm unsuccessful. I've downloaded various bootloaders (Opendarwin, Gparted Livecd); but none of them do anything. Gparted gets stuck at "Loading Stage 2". I have no other hard drive connected except the one I want Leopard installed onto (500gb Western Digital SATA2). Once I got far enough to see this:

http://i18.tinypic.com/89q662c.jpg

Then it gets stuck there. But now when I try to boot from the ISO discs, it just gets stuck at "Boot from CD:"

If you have overheating problems, you can delete Applefan.kext from the extensions folder. After deleting that on HP nx7400 my average cpu temp dropped from 80 C to 63 C. This way you can use Vanilla kernel without burning your computer.

So far, so good for me. Managed to install:

Darwin bootloader with EFI chipset

Leopard on as boot/active volume (using the Gparted CD)

Tweaked my x1800 XT card to work using the method in the Genius Bar

Only issues for me are shutdown & restart - they seem to leave the system hanging where it should either power down or restart & POST.

Anyone know of any workarounds for this as of yet?

I'm also going to attempt a dual boot with XP on as a secondary partition, which i'm fairly sure XP doesn't like.

Thanks to Uphuck & The Team, as well as many, many people on these forums!

(i'm using the products in my sig...)

hello I have understain that vanilla is original kernel can you tell me difference betwen kalyway and iatkos? I don't understain when i go in option for customise installation the difference for "stock kernel" "speed step kernel" with "sleep kernel 9.1" in kalyway Sleep kernel 9.1 of kalyway correspond in iatkos to ??? can you tell me definition of stock kernel and speed step kernel?

I can't install on my VAIO VGN-N365E

CORE Duo @2 GHZ

2GB RAM

GMA 950 Series Video

I tried both GUID and MBR, every time i get the following:

Yellow Triangle with exclamation point and the message "Could not Validate the contents of 10.5.1" I re-downloaded and re-burnt the files. Any help would be appreciated.

I used both Vanilla and non-vanilla kexts.

Got iATKOS installed, took me about 10 times, I have an ASUS PK5 series mobo, and my problem was the G35 chipset allows for a PATA drive, non JPMicro. I had a large drive stuck there because it was an older drive I use for storage. Once I disconnected that one, boot EFI installed flawlessly and everything is working! Thanks Turk team for an AWESOME release!

Hello, I m a beginer here I m writing this post from my new system iATKOS that works hum... great !. Actually everythings work great but I would like to make this system my primery OS. For this "test" installation, I have only added the stock ACPIPlatform kernel extension and SpeedStep Technology, and the njected 768mb for my 8800. (I just wonder if I should add the stock kernel option as well).

Hence,

I have few questions :

I have an Intel Core2Duo.

I m really noob in this Hackintosh world, but I understand that EFI emulation can increase the performance.

I wonder if I should install the stock kernel AND stock ACPIPlatform kernel extension , or just 1 of them ? in the description you say that stock ACPIPlatform kernel extension increase hdd performance, but what does the Stock kernel do ? should I enable both (I ve got a core2duo)?

a little bit latter you say :

- " Intel CoreDuo Proccessors have appropriate SpeedStep Technology which is stable in OS X. If you have such processor, you can enable Throttling feature using the "SpeedStep" package which u can find under Drivers section. You can not use this feature if you selected original kernel. Throttling feature includes Prasys' Throttling kext and Tuxx's SpeedStepping Application."

so , in the drivers section, there is the Speedstep thing. I understand that it can increase berformance again, so I want to enable it. but all I have to do is enable it, or do I have to do something else later in the Leopard system preference window? Also, you say that "you can not use this feature if you selected original kernel" ? what does it mean? Where Could I select this original kernel? Is it the Stock kernel option in the EFI emulation section ?

Can I active stock kernel , stock ACPIPlatform kernel extension and SpeedStep Technology in the same time?

That's my questions about the Core2Duo.

- Also, I wonder about my Gforce 8800GTX : which drivers should I use for it?

an other question : I m tripplebooting using Mac, vista, and linux. Hence I use grub... So I guess I dont need to bother about the darwin booter right? so Far I have set my Grub with an EFI 8, in the /boot folder of my ubuntu system, and it works great to boot on Leopard... (I have to enter 80 or 81 to specify the disk, then select the partition where Leo is installed). Will I have any adventage to use the Darwin bootloader instead of Grub managed by my linux install?

Finnally, my last 2 questions for this long post :

- you say in the readme that because of a specialy compiled EFI, we dont need after that to worry about upgrade for leopard. Is it true? is it a Special feature from iATKOS that cannot be done with the Kalyway DVD or TOH ?

I mean, If I install and make my iATKOS install my primery OS , will I run eventually against problem with there will be the update 10.5.2 ? or something else? Also, Will there be updates for the specials nvidia drivers ?

Finely : iATKOS propose SpeedStep driver, and the stock ACPIPlatform kernel extension with EFI emulation, that is suposed to enhance performance. I just wonder why I dont see those things on the Kalyway DVD readme, or somewhere else. I also read in another post that the kalyway doesnt propose some language or printers drivers. What about iATKOS, did you remove those stuff too ?

Thanks a lot and I know it's a huge post but I really have a lots of question in my mind and that's not really clear.

PS : I want to say also that I only encountered problem for my Broadcom ethenet connection but I could resolve the problem with this wonderfull Forum ... So it took me 1 afternoon to have a really good leopard desktop.

uphuck & eskurza:

You rule! Install was so easy. Photoshop didn't work and my core temperatures were 10 degrees too hot. I put the install disc back in, uncheck the main system, check the CPUPowerManagement driver remove, check the AppleSMBIOS.kext - 5 minutes later my new leopard system is running silky smooth with cooler temperatures.

Your work is so appreciated!

Took me 3 hours to figure this one out

If yours is Disk0s1, try 1 and 1, not 0 and 1.

Jesus, that is terrible. I thought something was wrong with my hard drive, actually found this post using google. This need to be on the top post (that disk 0 is actually disk 1 when installing Darwin boot)

Jesus, that is terrible. I thought something was wrong with my hard drive, actually found this post using google. This need to be on the top post (that disk 0 is actually disk 1 when installing Darwin boot)

Ditto. I'm sitting there screaming practically, wondering what is wrong, and it turns out it's something dumb. In doing this repeatedly I did notice it actually does tell you this, it's just that I didn't bother to read what it was doing.

I installed iatkos, tried kalyway and it didnt work. Problem I have with iatkos now is that after I installed it and the system reboots all I get is a gray sreen with the apple logo and a spinning icon on the bottom. I have a Core 2 Duo E6400 2gb ram 160gb hd and a gigabyte mainboard that is on the accepeted list for parts.

About this mac fixed :P

To replace the logo

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/MacOSX.tif

To Fix the display text

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

I'm unable to locate the folder /loginwindow.app/Contents etc... that you are talking about to change the Logo file - even when Finder is showing Hidden files...

Can someone give me a hint where to find the file that I need to replace to change to logo (I'm using Iatkos 10.5.1)

Thank you for help - NYR

I'm unable to locate the folder /loginwindow.app/Contents etc... that you are talking about to change the Logo file - even when Finder is showing Hidden files...

Can someone give me a hint where to find the file that I need to replace to change to logo (I'm using Iatkos 10.5.1)

Thank you for help - NYR

Right click on loginwindows to show contents

installed on my p5gc-mx. The problems I have is fire wire driver not loaded and the mouse "problem" (trailing and blocked) with Thunderbird, Firefox, Opera...

when I have the time will try to install on my other machine...

Okay, one more post:

Those who have MSN Messenger and are DEAD serious about getting their "Mac/Hackingtosh" working 100%, please PM me with your MSN Messenger and I shall 78% help you to overcome your problem!

PS. Support is free from me

i installed iatkos r2 onto an external usb hdd w/out a problem.

make sure your bios support booting from external hdd.

here's my system spec:

SONY VAIO FZ240e

Intel C2D T7250 2.0ghz

Intel GMA x3100 working using SwitchResX to get 1280x800

Sigmatel HD Audio detected, but i dont hear sound from any source

Intel wireless 4965 not working

Marvel yukon 88e8086 detected, but cant seem to connect to any network.

I have an X3100 on my sony vaio NR10E/S but i think there is a problem with it because i got a blackscreen just after the apple logo. Can you tell me what you have choose on the personnalise menu before install ?

Thanks.

OK I'm confused.

In your faq, you said that if I chose vanilla kernel I will NOT have speedstep? I thought it would be the other way around...

And also, with the pcefi, this means that I can ONLY use darwin bootloader to boot, not chain0? If this is so, is it possible to set xp as main OS in darwin bootloader?

Is there a guide on how to install the iATKOS? I have a Dell E1405 and want to install it... Do I just burn the DVD and pop it in and follow the on screen directions? Is there anything special I need to do to get the Broadcom 440x NIC to work and all, or what? Also, will I be able to use both cores?