iATKOS and OSx86 (FAQ)

SMCentral

231 posts in this topic

I am fairly new to OSX and this is the first time I m going to install one..... I already have my laptop with Core 2 Duo T7100 booting Vista / XP / Opensuse all using the Vista's EASYBCD bootloader.... For booting the Linux it loads the GRUB of the linux partition and boots it....

And now my multi-boot question : How do I multiboot all ? EasyBCD supports adding an entry for OSX as well but since I would like to install using EFI bootloader for OSX is it not possible to boot OSX from EasyBCD ? And I dont understand what do you mean by MBR or GUID type disk..... 

And if it is not possilbe to use EasyBCD here and use the Darwin bootloader only for booting Windows - will it not be a problem if I reinstall Vista in which case the bootloader of OSX will be lost..... Is there an option to reinstall Darwin bootloader alone whenever required ?

And since I use an OEM Vista for my laptop and which checks the OEM BIOS and stuff for Vista Activation - will it not be a problem if I load EFI before loading Vista ?

I have good experience with Windows and Linux OSes but this is the first time I'm installing OSX and hence so many qns.... Any help I would be glad really....

yey! a very nice gift for me, i successfully installed IATKOS leopard installer...

BUT..

with some minor problems. please advise what to do.

1. i have my 8800GTX VC but the resolution is only 1024x768

2. no audio. Realtek ALC889A codec/ HDA

my mobo is Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6

Thanks in advance.

Would anyone be able to help me out? I installed it, but get the blinking cursor...I tried the suggestions (Gparted Boot Flag), and the drive is formatted with MBR. I do not know what is wrong...please, some help would be greatly appreciated!I have a Compaq C714NR - 1.46 GHz Dual Core, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD. I am not dual-booting, the whole disk is for Leopard. There has been atleast one confirmed install on the same system...surely, I must be doing something wrong? It seems to me that the HD got permanently unmoutned, if that even makes sense...I just don't know. Thanks a lot guys :)NVM, I got it :)

It sounds like you are forgetting to install the boot loader, run the "Darwin Boot" script under the "Utilities" main menu item on the iATKOS install disk.

For the life of me, I don't understand why I don't have that option when I go into "Disk Utilities" on the iATKOS dvd. Am I missing something?

Make sure you are clicking on the drive itself, not a partition.

I have a few questions related to iAtkos.

1. If you install with non vanilla kernal option can you update or will it break the install?

2. With the none vanilla kernal option on my laptop (presario c700) I can actually get the battery icon to show which is really COOL. Is there anyway to take that power management bundle out of there and use it in a existing vanilla setup? On the Atkos dvd says that the speedstep package causes kernal panic when used with vanilla kernal but are they also referring to the power mangement bundle as well. I think they are the same thing and thus the answer is yes thus you can use it, but i wanted to make sure.

3. Do you think its possible to install the none vanilla kernal iAtkos setup onto a GUID partition scheme like the way people on here got brazilmac installed? What if any problems do you forsee? I might try this and then write a guide for it.

4. Is there anyway to remove the iAtkos from the about this mac or is that a stupid question? LOL

THANKS

hey all, just got the new iATKOS install disc and i insert it into my dvd drive and try booting from it.

the darwin bootloader loads up and asks for F8 or press a key to boot from dvd. i put -v and it says loading hfs+ mach kernel and then it reboots. idk what could be wrong, this has happened with each 10.5 release. maybe im missing something. give me a message if you have a suggestion.

Thanks and have a Merry XMas,

lookup

It sounds like you are forgetting to install the boot loader, run the "Darwin Boot" script under the "Utilities" main menu item on the iATKOS install disk.

Make sure you are clicking on the drive itself, not a partition.

Wouldn't this erase the whole drive? I got Vista on partition 1. I want to install Leopard only on partition 2. :P

yey! a very nice gift for me, i successfully installed IATKOS leopard installer...

BUT..

with some minor problems. please advise what to do.

1. i have my 8800GTX VC but the resolution is only 1024x768 - solved

2. no audio. Realtek ALC889A codec/ HDA

my mobo is Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6

Thanks in advance.

i just need is the audio driver +

will OSX supports SATA2 drives also?

i just need is the audio driver +

will OSX supports SATA2 drives also?

Yes OSX has no issues with SATA2 drives. You should get full speed if you can install on the controller.

Does anyone know the answers to my questions a few posts back. SMCentral or bofors?

es OSX has no issues with SATA2 drives. You should get full speed if you can install on the controller.

why is it not showing up on my leo desktop, my sata 1.5 maxtor 120GB is showing with two partitions but my sata 3.0 western digital 400gb again with 2 partitions aren't showing.

@krassi

thanks, i'll use my BIOS boot then, but still make my XP as default. heheh

OK, had 10.4.11 running dual-boot with Vista on Drive 0 and OSX on Drive 2, using EasyBCD. Used iATKOS to update. Here was my process:

1. Loaded iATKOs DVD and booted to it.

2. Ran installation, like bonehead NOT running Darwin Bootloader first. It compeleted just fine.

3. System would not boot to OSX, duh.

Repeated process, this time running Darwin Bootloader to disk1s1 and reinstalled again. Dual-boot works, but am stuck on gray Apple screen with spinning spokes. Ideas?

I have recently downloaded, burnt and installed the iATKOS 1.0i DVD. It worked perfectly except a couple things. First time I tried loading the disc I would get a circle with a cross through it. I was later told that it meant "Still waiting for root device." I fixed this by going into my Motherboards BIOS. Set my Second Hard drive (Leopard installed here) from SATA to AHCI. I installed quickly and made an account, everything basically worked.

Problem 1: I wanted to boot Leopard without the disc and not always using Darwin and typing "rd=disk01s"

So i downloaded the "gparted-livecd-0.3.4-11.iso" and burned it. I loaded the disc and entered the Gparted Partition Manager (or whatever it's called). Looked at my second drive and right clicked it and chose Flag. I checked in Boot, since I read something saying I needed Boot Flag. I restarted and tried entering Mac via the disc. I got the "Still waiting for root device." This was weird since I still had my HDD set at AHCI. So I went into my BIOS and chose IDE. (BTW if you can tell me the advantages or disadvantages of AHCI or IDE which is faster and so on :D ) It still didn't work in IDE. So I used the Gparted Live CD again and turned off unchecked "Boot" under the flags menu.i Tried it again. Still nothing. How would I get it to load once again and how can I dual Boot my system? I got Vista on my 1st disc and 2nd disc has iATKOS. I heard something about the Darwin Bootloader which should be installed. Help?

Problem 2: Before Problem 1 occured, I was playing with Leopard. I noticed that in the when I tried changing the resolution, there was only 1. It certainly looks hideous. I have downloaded both "Latest_NVinject_0.1.7-Leo" and "G80Installer". Do I need both. My GFX card is the 8800GTS 320MB.

Problem 3: Worst of all. My internet doesn't work on Leopard. How can I set it up. Very lost here.

Thanks a lot for the support. Just seeing that Mac Logo on a PC made me shriek like a little girl. I love the OSX86 project and InsanelyMac. Thanks to Uphuck for a wonderful release. I will be checking this thread every couple minutes (really want to get these problems sorted)

Can i PLEASE GET HELP :hysterical: Christmas is about to come and this PC is not ready for my friend....

Can i PLEASE GET HELP :) Christmas is about to come and this PC is not ready for my friend....

Do you hate your friend? Think of all the problems you're having. You're going to dump this on them? What happens if your friend decides they need to reinstall? Or an update comes out this week that blows it up?

I'm digging these OSX86 releases but seriously these are tough to maintain. I'm not going to spring this kind of thing on someone as a Christmas present. If your friend knows enough that you think they can maintain it, just give 'em the DVD and let them do it. 8)

Hey SMCentral, ive just downloaded iATKOS, but after reading the FAQ, ive decided to ask more before i install lol :(

Installation:

1- Run Disk Utility via Utilities menu and erase the target partition for clean install. Do partitioning if you need to, but be sure to select MBR type partition map. (We advice you to do the partitioning via Gparted live cd)

2- Run Darwin Boot and follow the instructions to install Darwin Boot to your target partition. In this section you will decide to use EFI emulation or not.

3- Select the destination for installation.

4- Click customize and select needed packages from menu.

5- Click Install.

Install time is about 20 minutes.

how can i format my CURRENT osx hdd? im running leopard, and disk utility wont let me format the osx im using right now ~.~ HELP :P

Hi to all

Thank you uphuck for your hard work , but i have one problem with your release . It's the battery problem . The leopard doesn't recognize the computer as a laptop . I need to see the battery percentage , you know . please help me .

Thank you a lot !!!

dude, if u check the system preferences, click on energy saver and click options then u can add the meter to the panel.

my installation worked out the box for me, only prob is that my wireless is not working and i have to boot with one core.

good luck