iATKOS and OSx86 (FAQ)

SMCentral

231 posts in this topic

What a messup!!

I decided to test both NEW installs on my Dell Dimension 9200 and did Kayway first, without going into too much details (cause there are'nt any!) everything installed.

I had to add my soundcard sigmatel 9227, my Wireless USB from Netopia and i was up and running! This included running in RAID mode.

NO PROBLEM!

I must add to read the instructions during the setup screens during boot up!

Then it was Iatkos's turn....

firstly had to switch my raid off, so I had to disable my main drive in order not to wipe it!

The boot setup went through with normal speed, i read the instructions, as the setup did NOT include making the drive bootable!

It had a seperate Terminal application to do this!?

This is where the mess started, if you do a diskutil list you will see your drive, mine as it had my main drive(disk0) included, was disk1, BUT you have to GUESS as the question was which HDD?!!!!

If you didn't know GUID made more than one partition, HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO KNOW ITS PARTITION 2!!!!!

After this mess the installation continued, but the DVD seemed to be stuck on a point for a long time without showing ANYTHING on the progrees bar (4 min 23sec) the first time i thought it wwas stuch so i rebooted then the second time, then just as I was going to reboot it, it continued! I do understand that this is because the image file is compressed? but why try and save 2GB if you are going to cut a 4,7GB DVD!?

I really thought the idea of the DVD was to help those that don't know as much as others(us, we, the inner circle) but this is a real mess if you are a normal(noobi) user!

You be the judge...... Iatkos, or Kalyway......

SticMAN

ps do Kalyway last then you are done and don't have to redo everything!!

My install went through fine but I have some issues:

everytime i restart, i must have the iatkos disk in, press F8 at darwin, and type "rd=disk01s" for my computer to boot into OSx

Network configuration can't find my wireless adapter, so im without internet

Wont recognize my WD external HD with my music, but the speakers dont seem to work either

Any suggestions would be real helpful!!!

PS Im going to format my HD again with Gparted, should i format it to FAT32? I use Disk Utility from the install screen to make the drive into 1 partition, otherwise it doesnt detect it during install.

would kalyway solve any of these issues?

Thanks

Dima

I had an hour to tinker, so I tried another install and it worked.

Dell Inspiron E1705, C2D 2Ghz, nVidia 7900GS Go video

This is a single boot hard drive

Booted with "cpus=1 idlehalt=0" (probably can't boot without this tho I may try)

Erased disk with Disk Utility (kept prior 10.4.11 MBR partitioning)

Used Darwin_Boot with choices 1, 1 (note: Disk0 is option *1*)

Did Custom options:

EFI emulation (both options under this)

nVInject 256MB and 512MB cuz I can't remember how much memory my laptop video has @.@

Broadcom 440x network

(I don't use wireless so I didn't fool with anything related to that)

I don't think I checked off anything else.

Rebooted, put "cpus=1 idlehalt=0" and it came up to the registration. Was able to do registration with no problems and got desktop

Only problem is I fired up Safari, which loaded the initial Apple page, but then the NIC just stopped passing traffic. Not sure why. I had to leave so I won't have time to fool with it again for a few hours.

Well she works here. MBR worked (Hirens) and after formatting I realized one MUST then run the Darwin bootloader (on dvd) or get the cursor at boot. When configuring the bootloader you have to enter the right numbers or she fails. With one hard disk it was 1 then 1.

TAKES: Computer runs warmer it seems.

Airport wont turn on, but running the "assist me" wizard got the net going.

Bluetooth was working during a prior install but now doesn't. (any kexts out there for Dell?) That whole Network pane is whacked and misreading.

Leopard is faster, especially hard drive access.

I wish the second core worked on this Dell e1405, dang. I will boot but runs s l o w .

Cursor leaves sporatic little mouse turds across the screen.

It was a challenge - but she's running!!! Merry Christmas fellow users.

I downloaded this last night and just installed it this morning. Installation was faster than most OSX disks. If it wasn't for Bofors, I certainly would have missed the extra step of the darwin bootloader, and the rather awkward way of referring to disk0 as Disk 1. But knowing that going in, it was a smooth install and it took the updates from apple. It recognizes my c2d processor precisely, but I notice there is an airport ethernet en1 listed first, so I'll reserve judgment until I see how well it plays with FCS2 and CS3 software. I also noticed that iSync, Dictionary, Mail etc. were included in this distro. That is a refreshing change from Uphuck's recent releases. Don't know why his team decided to not even offer the standard Leo background, and I'm not the biggest fan of the personalized About This Mac window. That's just aesthetics and doesn't really affect anything (although it's enough of a reason for me not to use this release). However, I'll continue to put it through its paces to offer my opinions to others who may not have other working installs to count on.

For those with A P5WDH-Deluxe.. i can tell you that this release does work.. (will lots of fiddling).

After a whole day of solid troubleshotting.

The ISO couldn't be burnt sucesfully by Nero 7.7 .. had to use toast

Repeat.. Do NOT over install.. only install want you need.. all you end up with problems...

Sound output works, Native EFI. and vanilla kernel works. One lan port works.. the in built wireless doesn't.. had to use AHCI mode.. and you set the bios up correctly for (see the P5WDH thread)..

7900GT (MSI 256mb) works perfrectly with NV inject only (supplied) and drives a 30" Dell monitor at 2560x1600 nicely..

THe Customised Iatkos system about {censored}.. is a real ugly.. (prorably a reason not to use this release)..

Despite tirng multiple wireless cards and kexts.. Icannot get an Asus broadcom PCI card or a Netgrear 311 v1 (both work under tiger) going under leopard. A real nuiasance.. because I need wireless suport. AFter wrecking the leopard installation.. trying to get wireless going.. I've giving up.. I''l wait until the drivers are more mature..

This was a hell of a lot more complicated that the Jas 10.4.8 releases

I did have it all going nicely except for the wireless..

Hi to all

When i boot from Iatkos dvd i've got :

npvhash=4095

hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000

PAE enabledd

Darwin kernel ...

standard timeslicing ...

vm_page...

mig_table_max_displ = 79

Extensions "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlarform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and .com.apple.kpi

components; use only one style.

ACPI CA 20068421

USING 18485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Extensions "com.apple.driver.acpi_SMC_Plateformplugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi

components; use only one style.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87 end then freez

I tried Platform=ACPI X86PC ; cpus=1 ; -X and APIC=debug but nothing

Coul'd someone help me whith this please?

My PC: Acer travelmate 8204wlmi

Mobile DualCore Intel Core Duo T2500

Dual DDR2 SDRAM 533 (266 MHz)

North Bridge Mobile Intel Calistoga-PM i945PM

Intel® 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA

O2Micro OHCI Compliant IEEE1394 Host Controller

Realtek ALC883 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (512 Mo) (M56)

Intel® PRO/1000 PM Network Connection

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

post-153158-1198336452_thumb.jpg

Regarding the "blinking cursor" problem...

(1) There is an extra step required to installing iATKOS, you have to manually run a script called "Darwin Boot" to install the bootloader. This is on the iATKOS install disk, under the "Utilities" main menu item.

Installation:

2- Run Darwin Boot and follow the instructions to install Darwin Boot to your target partition. In this section you will decide to use EFI emulation or not.

Normally, this is done before one actually runs the installation program, but I do not see why you could do it after the fact.

(2) Otherwise... you have to make sure your target disk has a Master Boot Record (MBR) type of partition table. You select this as an format "Option" with Apple's "Disk Utility" which is under the "Utilities" main menu item on the iATKOS install disk. You may also need to use download "Gparted Live CD" to set the "boot" flag on your target partition.

It works for me. Now.....how come I can't change resolutions? Do I need NVInject for my 8800GTS? and how about the default wallpapers? Why were they deleted? iATKOS is fine and all but they really need to keep things intact cause this was all going on a 4GB DVD anyways. No use of compressing to 2GB. Anyways, install went quick (10 Minutes)

just installed with EFI, and used the darwin bootloader...

cant use my laptop keyboard now, (so i cant finish the install), and have no qe/ci on geforce 7300go...

when i install without EFI and use natit 0.2 it both works fine, but i cant use software update then...

any solution for this?

(btw i dont use the boot flag, the boot flag is used by my acronis OS selector partition..

thanks!

Hi Guys,

installed iAtkos without any problems.

But there a couple of problems:

• i cant shutdown/restart my system out of leopard. To shut down the computer i need to press the powerbutton in front of my computer.

• My DVD-Rom Devices could not be found from leopard

Does anyone got the same problem?

Is there any way to fix that problems?

(2) Otherwise... you have to make sure your target disk has a Master Boot Record (MBR) type of partition table. You select this as an format "Option" with Apple's "Disk Utility" which is under the "Utilities" main menu item on the iATKOS install disk. You may also need to use download "Gparted Live CD" to set the "boot" flag on your target partition.

Do you format as Fat32 in Gparted Live CD ? or HFS? or does it make any difference which? I don't see "options" in iATKOS' utilities menu... :)

Yey!!! Used the Darwin and now it runs like a charme. I just updates my stuff praying Apple Update didn't killed it..

PS. Just my sound need to be fixed...

*Sigh* Ok - Darwin seems not be a "whitebox install" :) After Apple Update I just returned to my cursor..

Did you do the EFI install? I did and updated with no problems.

Do you format as Fat32 in Gparted Live CD ? or HFS? or does it make any difference which? I don't see "options" in iATKOS' utilities menu... :wacko:

I did all my formating in Apple's "Disk Utility", I used HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) Journaled. I only used Gparted Live to set the "boot" flag.

"Options" is a button on the "Partition" panel of "Disk Utility" as shown here:

options4vx7.jpg

i have an iATKOS version that is 2.09 gb?

is this is a fake cd?

No, that is it.