Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a Compaq c714nr. I've been following this thread for the past few months. There's so much good information in here, but it's all scattered about. Is there an "official" how-to for installing 10.5 on the c700 series machines? Or at a minimum a post that contains most of the essentials for making the process go as smoothly as possible?

Thanks in advance!

Kenny: How difficult is it to install a new HD in these laptops? I haven't cracked mine open yet, and would rather not unless I have the new HD in hand at the moment. lol I've also built a ton of desktops, but never dug into a laptop. Anything special I should know before starting surgery?

It will take you far less time to swap laptop hard drives than with most desk tops.

Just be sure to unplug power, and pop out the battery.

flip it over, take out the two screws that hold the cover and drive, pull the tab and it is out.dsc00744hl4.jpg

Swap the bracket, and pop it all back together........5 min with a #1 phillips screwdriver.

Kenny

Hi, I have a Compaq c714nr. I've been following this thread for the past few months. There's so much good information in here, but it's all scattered about. Is there an "official" how-to for installing 10.5 on the c700 series machines? Or at a minimum a post that contains most of the essentials for making the process go as smoothly as possible?

Thanks in advance!

Look here

Thanks Kenny. You didn't need any additional ktexts other than what comes stock with iATKOS?

Also, how hard is it to dual boot with Vista if you already have an existing Vista installation on the drive?

Nothing else needed with iATKOS, it works great! Kalyway, and Leo4all also work well, but I do like iAtkos better.

IDeneb and JAS seem to have issues with the C700s.

Not related, is anyone else trying to get retail to work.....I think I'm getting close.....just can't get the right kext combo.....yet

Kenny

What significance is there in using retail over iATKOS anyway?

To run pure retail should almost ensure future updates ......but the real thing for me is the challange, and see if we can get the last few things working.

Has anyone found a way to get the Atheros 5006x in the C751 to work with iATKOS or another Leo build. I did a strait up install with iAtkos 4.0i and it works fine all but the mic/headphone jacks and the Atheros WiFi

For the retail over itakos, I think we are almost there. I installed kalyway 10.5.2-->Jas 10.5.3-->Mac software update 10.5.4.

It works good. Then the 10.5.5 out, I used the software update to 10.5.5, It works just fine except the powermanagement which I had to restore anyway due to the hardware issue

For Atheros 5006/5007EG, I dont think anyone can make it now. The worst thing is we even can not plug in another wireless card like 4311 because the bios for compaq C700 is no way to hack.

If anyone able to find out another wireless card which is working w/o hacking bios. That would be great.

I have tried nearly everything but have still not been able to get my battery to show up. There is a space where the battery icon should be and when I move my mouse over it, it says "No batteries available." Can someone please help me to get to get my battery meter working by posting some working kexts or a tutorial. I am SOO close to getting everything running perfectly, this is the last on the list (other than audio in/out which I don't care about). Thanks

For the retail over itakos, I think we are almost there. I installed kalyway 10.5.2-->Jas 10.5.3-->Mac software update 10.5.4.

It works good. Then the 10.5.5 out, I used the software update to 10.5.5, It works just fine except the powermanagement which I had to restore anyway due to the hardware issue

For Atheros 5006/5007EG, I dont think anyone can make it now. The worst thing is we even can not plug in another wireless card like 4311 because the bios for compaq C700 is no way to hack.

If anyone able to find out another wireless card which is working w/o hacking bios. That would be great.

In a previous post, I noted that I was able to install a Wireless pc-card from a Compaq Persario C712 I believe into my C751 without a problem. No hacks or mods needed. I went on ebay and bought the card for roughly $30

From the previous post:

This is the HP part number and the Discription off of the HP parts replacement website. You could buy it from HP at $113, or you can find it on ebay like I did for $30-$50.

This is card is also in the pavilion dv6000 dv9000 series of laptops as well, so you might see it listed for those models also.

HP# 441090-001

Wireless LAN 802.11b/g mini PCI adapter card (Broadcom, Hoya) - 54Mbps data rate, 2.4GHz operating frequency range

I have tried nearly everything but have still not been able to get my battery to show up. There is a space where the battery icon should be and when I move my mouse over it, it says "No batteries available." Can someone please help me to get to get my battery meter working by posting some working kexts or a tutorial. I am SOO close to getting everything running perfectly, this is the last on the list (other than audio in/out which I don't care about). Thanks

Try Vanilla's a.zip the powerman. should get you going.

Kenny

hi, all..

i've had install Leopard 10.5.2 kalyway on my presario c733tu, very excited with my laptop. but the wifi, webcam+internal mic, ext headphone+mic cannot works..

i had try some methods in this forum but it doesnt work... :blink:

any suggest...

HP Compaq Presario C733TU 1.86 GHz Intel Celeron M Processor 540; DDR2 512 MB; Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100; Ethernet 10/100BT integrated network interface; 802.11 b/g WLAN (Atheros AR5007)

Does anyone have issues with the sensitivity of the trackpad? If I try tracking with anything but the lightest of touch it becomes unresponsive. It's been months since I've installed (gave up and just left it dual booting with windows) and I don't remember exactly what was going on at that time, but I seem to remember trying a two finger scroll kext.

Have there been any advancements in the past 4-5 months? I tried searching a bit but didn't find anything, if I missed it feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Grandmast: I just had to use the trackpad kext from the Soultions for Keyboard and Track thread listed in the Genius Bar area of the forums. believe its the Hacked trackpad kext i am using.

Niadma: Only tips I could suggest to save yourself some power would be to generally lower your brightness settings, not to do a lot of things that require a lot of DVD/CD layback and burning, and pretty much use the system for a generic web browsing, office, minor gaming system. That for buy a hefty 12 cell battery. I did that and I get a good 5-6 hours straight use. Haven't done much gaming on it, play Spore pretty well on low settings so far. Then again these are not power house...gaming laptops to begin with. I suggest a bigger battery purchase honestly.

I have a question, has anyone used the Boot123 method of installing a retail copy of OS X? If so, how did you all go about doing it and what are your results?

I'm tempted, but I have done so much to make mine work well, I just need to update to 10.5.5, but I'm hesistant due to the chance of killing things. If anyone has a method or way of helping out, I'd like that. Would be great to do nice easy updates for once.

I have a question, has anyone used the Boot123 method of installing a retail copy of OS X? If so, how did you all go about doing it and what are your results?

I'm tempted, but I have done so much to make mine work well, I just need to update to 10.5.5, but I'm hesistant due to the chance of killing things. If anyone has a method or way of helping out, I'd like that. Would be great to do nice easy updates for once.

I have spent some time working with the BOOT EFI method Munky has posted in this thread.

The install using Retail 10.5.0 will not work with our graphics chip, but the 10.5.4 Retail DVD will.

Getting the PS2 kext for keyboard and trackpad to load is no problem.

Getting audio to work while leaving the install untouched is a problem. I have tried EFI strings and kext with no luck.

Also I had some high temps. I have set the project aside for a little while, but I will return to it soon.

Good luck

Kenny

Well that kinda sucks, maybe sometime I'll give it a go. Overall I'm really starting to desire a real legit Macbook or Macbook Pro about now. Thanks for the input, if I get some courage I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Sounds like its a painful thing right now.

hey everybody -

I've been running 10.5.1 (iATKOS r2) exclusively (gave up on vista in 5 min) for almost a year now on my c751nr (+4311 wifi card from ebay and 2gb ram) with everything 100% except the usual sleep and audio jacks. I also used FFScroll for 2-fingered scrolling which worked nicely.

anyway, I had little interest in updating since it was working nicely, but I decided to do some iphone app development and friggin apple won't let me d/l the sdk unless I'm running at least 10.5.4. so I created a little test partition to try things out before jumping in all the way and I thought I'd compare notes.

I installed iATKOS r4 generally following kennyp's method in post #401, although I found it somewhat ambiguous in a few places:

1) under stock files, I chose AppleACPIPlatform (modified) - not sure what kennyp meant by check both files since I think there were 3 and they seemed mutually exclusive

2) checked SATA, which meant selecting a bunch of sub-options, which seemed weird but I did it anyway

I also selected the software update enabler, but I'm not sure whether it was necessary.

the install went swimmingly and I then allowed software update to do its thing with the 10.5.5 update. I tried the 'while sleep' method kennyp linked to but found it useless (I actually just booted into single-user mode instead of running the loop in terminal), as the 'don't steal mac os' line was nowhere to be found in the startup script. after one -x boot I was up and running.

after achieving a working 10.5.5 system, I installed vanilla's a.zip, which fixed the thermal issues and gave me a tap-able trackpad, but no battery meter and screwy 2-finger scrolling (u gotta make a weird circle motion for erratic scrolling instead of just going straight up/down). I just fixed the battery meter with the kext kennyp posted in #432.

EDIT: I got a battery meter instantly when I replaced the AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext, but subsequently lost it after reboot, so any further ideas on the battery meter are appreciated.

so, that's it so far. I'm pretty impressed with the results - big thanks to kennyp for his guides, but I'm still not ready to commit with my main partition until I figure out the 2-finger scrolling. I tried to install FFScroll but the installer stopped me, saying I already had a driver installed or some such. I'm kinda surprised nobody else has talked about scrolling, maybe it's just me, but I've grown rather attached to the 2-finger method. anyone else figure out a way to run FFScroll or get it going some other way?

thanks

post-173072-1225001129_thumb.png

Any progress with getting the audio jacks working yet? I really miss the ability of being able to listen to itunes through headphones. Also, when I wake from sleep, the battery meter stops working, and the laptop starts to overheat and run fans at higher speeds.

Does anyone have a fix to either of these two problems? I am so close to a perfect hackbook, and any help would be appreciated.