Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Kenny, your sig says you're running iAtkos 4i updated to 10.5.6 on your laptop. What method did you use to get to 10.5.6, and are you having the issues that Zeroburn had?

Zeroburn, I'll get the logo sized way up for you today. ;)

I downloaded the combo-update, and let it run to go from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5, and the same with 10.5.6. I am fully working (except the regular stuff) I did not have to do anything extra.

That would be cool Kenny. I hopefully I can get a 10.5.4 DVD around. This is with using that Bootloader method? And would allow for direct Apple Kernel Updates?

I'm interested in plain OS X only installs, as well as multi-boot with either XP or Vista (whichever you perfer). Maybe once I get time I will help work on multi-boot methods for other OSes, hopefully more here will also help out.

OK there are 2 ways we can go. I like the method using the EFI Partition and placing all the boot stuff there. But if you are going to dual boot with anything on an NTFS partition, we'll go another way.

Start working on getting a 10.5.4 Retail DVD, and I'll put a guide up in the next day or so.

BTW, if you go XP and OS X, we can do a smoother boot menu setup. I think with VISTA, we will have to use both bootloaders....but not sure.

Kenny

I downloaded the combo-update, and let it run to go from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5, and the same with 10.5.6. I am fully working (except the regular stuff) I did not have to do anything extra.

Kenny

I'll try 10.5.5 then 10.5.6. Going straight from 10.5.4 to 10.5.6 gave me a kernel panic when I tried it. Thanks!

OK there are 2 ways we can go. I like the method using the EFI Partition and placing all the boot stuff there. But if you are going to dual boot with anything on an NTFS partition, we'll go another way.

Start working on getting a 10.5.4 Retail DVD, and I'll put a guide up in the next day or so.

BTW, if you go XP and OS X, we can do a smoother boot menu setup. I think with VISTA, we will have to use both bootloaders....but not sure.

Kenny

I would love to have a step by step. Also maybe posted kexts that work with the ps2, trackpad, usb, and fan support. I am tired of not being able to update. lol.

Well that was a complete bust. I don't know what went wrong, but after using the combo install to update to 10.5.5, it hung on the spinning boot screen. I decided to roll back using Time Machine, and was left with the dreaded blinking cursor. When I tried to use the iAtkos disk to boot with, it endlessly rebooted. So I formatted and did a clean install, thinking I would simply migrate my info to my clean 10.5.4 install. Nope. It didn't boot. Darwin loaded, but it jumped to the partition select, where it does show the Leopard partition. Selecting it did nothing, and trying -v also did nothing. I spent all evening trying to reinstall, and I have no clue what went wrong as I used the EXACT settings I've always used to install... So, for the time being, I'm back in Windows 7 (I have to have a functional computer). I may try again tomorrow as a dual boot (I try to avoid the complications involved in a dual boot system whenever possible)... Anybody tried iAtkos 5i or recommend a different install?

EDIT:

Zeroburn, I'll get you that logo in the next couple of days; I was literally going to get it done after I was done updating. Sorry!

I have ideneb 1.3 working pretty well on my C751. Can anyone tell me what is the exact change needed in IOAHCIFamily or AppleAHCIPort kext files to make the icon for hard drive to not appear orange

Nirvana, does Time Machine work for you? I downloaded iDeneb 1.3 (as well as iAtkos 5i, and iPC), but I'm wary of installing 10.5.5 as Time Machine was an issue with that point release. Do you have a guide for installing it?

I had an issue with the drive icon like that way back. I gave up trying to fix it and just changed the icon in the More Info window. lol

You should try voodoopower.kext by superhai, my temperatures went down a lot and battery life went up too using this kext. Speedstep works pretty well. With the t2330 processor on my c751 it only scales down to 800 mhz (from 1.6ghz). I think that is a limitation of pentium dual core processor and not the speedstep implementation.

@kenny, i already tired with that program which does not work. It stated that something about the speech was not working properly, btw i installed with kal 10.5.2 first.

I have the same problem with this app.

Zeroburn (and whoever else wants it), here's the logo blown up. Let me know if that's big enough, or if you want the PSD or AI files for Photoshop or Illustrator. I know it's not 100% accurate, but it should be close enough for what you want. If not, I can rework it a bit. I just got around to installing the Adobe suite today; sorry about how long it took!

I still can't get Leopard to install and boot with any of the releases that I have (iAtkos 4i/5i, iDeneb 1.3, iPC beta), so I'm going to give it a rest for a bit. It's getting too frustrating! lol It's so bizarre that I can't get it to boot in at all. I was a bit freaked out for a bit that my hard drive might be dying, but Windows 7 works without a hitch, and diagnostics haven't picked up any issues. Perhaps it's my BIOS? That wouldn't explain why it worked and then suddenly stopped though...

post-173549-1232665982_thumb.jpg

I'm back up and running. I was able to walk my way backwards through my Time Machine backups till I found one that worked. It literally took all day! I'm still not sure what the culprit was as the computer worked and booted well after that particular point in time... Oh well, I'm back in, and I'm not going to update anything unless I absolutely have to, and then only after EXTENSIVE research. The good news is that my wife will be inheriting this laptop sometime in the next month (I'm getting a MacBook) and she'll have no reason to ever update anything. All she uses is Office, Firefox, and iPhoto. lol

kennyp, the guide would be a really good thing for us, if you got the time to do it. i can upgrade my c741el (it's very similar to the c714nr) to 10.5.6 without problems but after that i get crazy to make the keyboard work again, after 2 broken installation and time machine full recovery i quit, but i would really like 10.5.6 for the new iwork & ilife sooner or later. Thanks in advance.

Thank for the image logo Chris, appreciate it a lot! :)

For everyone using Time Machine Backups to reinstall, while it generally works well, Time Machine isn't the best way to do such restores. I suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner (Free) or SuperDuper (retail purchase) to clone your hard drive/partition to a USB/Firewire hard drive. You get a 100% hard drive copy and restore.

Carbon Copy Cloner: http://www.bombich.com/ccc

Super Duper!: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/Sup...escription.html

As for your issues with the new installs. I do know that with iDeneb and with most of my OS X installs. Usually installing Intel Graphics or the Wireless drivers caused kernel panics upon the first boot up into OS X.

So for me I did not install any drivers except: Apple HDA, used Vanillia kernel (select nothing), selected the ICH7/8/9 Intel drivers, and just picked whatever fixes I felt I needed. Wasn't sure if I really needed those fixes, but it doesn't hurt to us them.

Also installed the Voodoo Power Management kext from Superhai, which works greatly on our small batteries.

I also used the latest kext files to fix the AHCI (orange HD icon issue) driver issues and so on from this thread in the first post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=chamelon

Also going to try installing the Final release of IPC 10.5.6 soon.

Hope this info helps

Thank for the image logo Chris, appreciate it a lot! :D

For everyone using Time Machine Backups to reinstall, while it generally works well, Time Machine isn't the best way to do such restores. I suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner (Free) or SuperDuper (retail purchase) to clone your hard drive/partition to a USB/Firewire hard drive. You get a 100% hard drive copy and restore.

Carbon Copy Cloner: http://www.bombich.com/ccc

Super Duper!: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/Sup...escription.html

As for your issues with the new installs. I do know that with iDeneb and with most of my OS X installs. Usually installing Intel Graphics or the Wireless drivers caused kernel panics upon the first boot up into OS X.

So for me I did not install any drivers except: Apple HDA, used Vanillia kernel (select nothing), selected the ICH7/8/9 Intel drivers, and just picked whatever fixes I felt I needed. Wasn't sure if I really needed those fixes, but it doesn't hurt to us them.

Also installed the Voodoo Power Management kext from Superhai, which works greatly on our small batteries.

I also used the latest kext files to fix the AHCI (orange HD icon issue) driver issues and so on from this thread in the first post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=chamelon

Also going to try installing the Final release of IPC 10.5.6 soon.

Hope this info helps

I user SuperDuper! in addition to Time Machine. When I did restore the drive image, it wouldn't boot. It was very odd. That was one of the solutions I had tried while trying to restore my drive after the last crash.

Voodoo Power Management is awesome; I'm getting way better boot times and the laptop runs at standard "Windows" temperature.

Once you get iPC installed, be sure to toss up a guide; there's a TON of options with that install! I gave up after about the 6th time of trying different option combinations. lol

Ok, Just did the IPC Final 10.5.6 Release install. First I have to say this is as far as I can tell a very rock solid and easy install. Off the top of my head I did it perfectly so far on my second attempt. Here's what I installed so far:

Kernel - Left unchecked, in order to use Vanillia 9.6.0 kernel

Chipset - Checked the ICHX intel chipset drivers

Video - Left unchecked, on my C751NR X3100, installing a vid driver usually failed.

Audio - Went into Other Audio Drivers, selected the Conexant HighDef Audio driver

Power Management - Checked Complete PowerManagement Package and Voodoo Power

Applications - Checked all except the AMD specific ones

Ethernet - Left all unchecked

Wireless - Left all unchecked, I found that if I installed any driver, it would freeze OS X on boot up.

USB Drivers - Checked Patched USB Drivers

Checked Legacy Time Machine Fix

Fixes: This is a area that is to each thier own, this is what I installed.

IOUSBMassStorage Fix

SATA Drive Icon Fix (New)

IOPCIFamily Kext Patched

IOPCMIAFamily

Finder 10.5.5 + Keyboard.prefPane

UUID Error Fix

CarbonLib Fix

PS2 Device Fix - Checked PS2 Keyboard Fix (This one is the I used that fixed my first install attempt)

SMBIOS Resolver

Most of these fixes I installed just because I wanted to avoid any issues after installing 10.5.6. Rather solve any chances now than later. I do know for a fact in my case, CarbonLib Fix, PS2 Keyboard Fix, and the SATA Drive Icon Fix all helped me out majorly on this install. These were issues I had encountered with previous installs.

So far the only minor issue I have had so far is the random keyboard glitch, sometimes throwing out 7s. I assume I just need to install the older PS2 driver KennyP posted in his A.zip pack, right?

Otherwise all is running swimmingly well. Not sure if my screen saver will kick on with vanillia kernel installed, I hope so. Otherwise, it works. Audio works perfectly even though I doubt the audio jacks work. Have QuartzExtreme working fine. Fans work good, power usage and boot times are great due to voodoo power.

I'll continue testing my install, so far I doubt many issues will arise. I'm sure the things like sleep mode, audio jacks, and those sort of issues will still remain as usual.

Let me know how everything goes for you guys,

ZB

I user SuperDuper! in addition to Time Machine. When I did restore the drive image, it wouldn't boot. It was very odd. That was one of the solutions I had tried while trying to restore my drive after the last crash.

Voodoo Power Management is awesome; I'm getting way better boot times and the laptop runs at standard "Windows" temperature.

Once you get iPC installed, be sure to toss up a guide; there's a TON of options with that install! I gave up after about the 6th time of trying different option combinations. lol

As far as Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner go. I have had more success with CCC. It seems to me that SuperDuper! is fairly picky about what hardware may or may not work. As far as I have read in their forum pages if your using an external hard drive to clone and restore from.

Try CCC, it's free, has a ad that's not annoying, but you can remove it if you just donate the author a few dollars at least. Due to the issues you just explained, I try to do a clone image flie barely after installing OS X and my drivers/patches. I can hardly stand waiting the hours it takes to clone 12GB as it is.

MissingNo,

I haven't touched doing a dual boot system as I pretty much see little need for Windows while I have Vmware fusion 2 to run my Win apps. But I use to follow this guide on this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=39253

I pretty much did just the XP install as Vista runs sluggish in comparison. Just make a partition for your XP install, leave the rest of your space free, then after install follow the guide I linked you. Otherwise go for the Vista portion and what that entails.

Good luck,

ZB

Which kexts did you install from the Latest Kexts package, Zeroburn?

I just managed to lose my keyboard and mouse.

Better yet, how the ;) do I update to 10.5.6 without it killing everything? I killed my fifth install so far and this isn't fun... all I needed Leopard for was iLife and iWork '09. :wacko:

Well with the IPC 10.5.6 release I didn't have to install any of those, just the ApplePS2Controller.kext from the zip file that KennyP posted in earlier posts in this thread.

I know out of the latests kext's ( i think you are referring to a earlier link I gave dealing with Chameleon), I installed all of them actually. But the main one to get ride of orange hard drive icons is the AHCI kext.

Overall though I strongly suggest a iPC 10.5.6 OSX86 install, as eveerything is up to date, and I do list all the options I selected to get things going, and it runs smoothly.

To help ensure that a future kernel update doesn't kill your system, thats a case by case basis. For the most part, installing your system with a Vanillia kernel does the trick, but you may have issues with other devices like mouse and keyboard that need to be reinstalled. in the new iPC release you can select the Voodoo Kernel to install. This kernel has blockers built in, that will disallow Apple Update to replace certain system files that could kill your installation after updating.

I've heard Voodoo's kernel works pretty well, some cases it didn't work, in others it did. I'm not too sure myself, it did help me with 10.5.5 going to 10.5.6 but i then had other issues with USB mounting and so on. I then just decided to install iPC with Vanilla kernel

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been lucky enough to actually turn off the trackpad with the trackpad button, and been able to use their keyboard afterward?

I think that might be the most annoying issue with the laptop using OS X so far.