Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

When I mean that the CPU fan is working, that its running at a low speed, always on. It being off and turning on only when it kicks on in my opinion isn't so good as the laptops gets really hot and so on. Unless I'm wrong on this?

Success! Compaq C714NR clean install of 10.5.4 using iAtkos 4i

Extra options on install (don't uncheck anything, just check these in addition):

Apple SMBIOS-27 6th rev. Macbook

Remove Thermals

GMA X3100

SATA

Everything works as it did before, like everyone else's setups:

Wifi, sound (through speakers), USB, battery, wired-LAN, timemachine, etc all good

No headphones, no sleep.

Temps are good, fan comes on and off as usual. Using Vanilla's kexts from earlier in the thread.

Was this using GUID partitioning? I tried to install using those selections and got an endless reboot. Also, you have working networking without selecting anything?

When I mean that the CPU fan is working, that its running at a low speed, always on. It being off and turning on only when it kicks on in my opinion isn't so good as the laptops gets really hot and so on. Unless I'm wrong on this?

Ah, good. Can you pinpoint a bit more what exactly you did to get the fans working? I just had to restore from Time Machine due to killing my install while trying those instructions! While cooking eggs on my laptop might be a great feature for someone out there, it's not what I'm looking for. lol

I tried mhespenh's instructions to no avail either. This temperature issue is really getting to me...

I tried mhespenh's instructions to no avail either. This temperature issue is really getting to me...

1. Are you using a C714?

2. Are you using Vanilla's kexts?

in my earlier post listed above. I pointed out a thread about getting the fans working. In the thread, a guy named Robi62 posts his own files. I installed them and the fan works perfectly. There is a minor issue so far on my laptop. I cannot edit power settings through the battery meter. It doesn't save settings unless you are in system preferences. Also no screen saver

What alps trackpad driver is everyone using?

1. Are you using a C714?

2. Are you using Vanilla's kexts?

Yes, a C714NR, same as you. But following your instructions, I can't even get it to boot. Are you on GUID (I noticed you didn't select the Darwin option for non-EFI machines)? How did you get networking to work if you selected no networking options during install?

Yes, a C714NR, same as you. But following your instructions, I can't even get it to boot. Are you on GUID (I noticed you didn't select the Darwin option for non-EFI machines)? How did you get networking to work if you selected no networking options during install?

Sorry the first post was somewhat vague, here is exactly what i selected on install:

iAtkos Main System

Darwin Bootloader

Remove Thermal Kexts

GMA X3100

SATA

Then "installed" Vanilla's "a" kexts after install.

I'm not sure why the networking works out of the box without extra patches, but it does :censored2: . If you find yours doesn't work, I'll be happy to send you my IO80211Family.kext- I saved mine from 10.5.2 just in case it didn't work on this install. Make sure you have SATA support enabled in the BIOS and do a clean install (IE wipe the disk with Disk Util in the installer) before installing and it should work.

EDIT: Chris- I just reread your post- I had the endless reboot problem too, but starting up -v fixed it. After a few reboots (with -v) it doesn't do it anymore. Try that if you have the same problem after install.

Sorry the first post was somewhat vague, here is exactly what i selected on install:

iAtkos Main System

Darwin Bootloader

Remove Thermal Kexts

GMA X3100

SATA

Then "installed" Vanilla's "a" kexts after install.

I'm not sure why the networking works out of the box without extra patches, but it does :o . If you find yours doesn't work, I'll be happy to send you my IO80211Family.kext- I saved mine from 10.5.2 just in case it didn't work on this install. Make sure you have SATA support enabled in the BIOS and do a clean install (IE wipe the disk with Disk Util in the installer) before installing and it should work.

EDIT: Chris- I just reread your post- I had the endless reboot problem too, but starting up -v fixed it. After a few reboots (with -v) it doesn't do it anymore. Try that if you have the same problem after install.

That did it! My fans are running actively as we speak, so hopefully no more heat issues. I have the great networking mystery as well; it all worked out of the box. I only had to run a "-v" boot once to fix the reboot issue. Thanks!

EDIT:

Just went 2 1/2 hours off the charger, on my lap, and nary a burn! Battery life is great, temperatures are low, and I have a fully functional HacBook for the first time since I started using Leopard! My wife is jealous because her PowerBook isn't as good as my Hacintosh! LOL

That did it! My fans are running actively as we speak, so hopefully no more heat issues. I have the great networking mystery as well; it all worked out of the box. I only had to run a "-v" boot once to fix the reboot issue. Thanks!

EDIT:

Just went 2 1/2 hours off the charger, on my lap, and nary a burn! Battery life is great, temperatures are low, and I have a fully functional HacBook for the first time since I started using Leopard! My wife is jealous because her PowerBook isn't as good as my Hacintosh! LOL

Awesome dude :yoji: How is your wireless? Mine seems to be losing its connection every hour or so, I have to turn it off then turn it back on to fix it. Minor annoyance, but an annoyance none-the-less.

Anyone else get it going?

Awesome dude :) How is your wireless? Mine seems to be losing its connection every hour or so, I have to turn it off then turn it back on to fix it. Minor annoyance, but an annoyance none-the-less.

Anyone else get it going?

My wireless is running just fine. I haven't had any cutouts at all. I'm uploading my IO80211Family.kext here. It's from the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo. While networking worked out of the box, I installed it with Vanilla's "a" kexts (shouldn't we start calling that the "Essential Kext Pack" or something? lol) because I knew it worked, so the out-of-the-box networking didn't get a chance to fail.

How is everyone's screen saver going? seems like I can sleep my monitor, and sleep mode is a no go, but I cannot get screen saver to work. I get a blank black screen when it kicks on its own timer.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this working? I used the the Macbook smbios.

My wireless is running just fine. I haven't had any cutouts at all. I'm uploading my IO80211Family.kext here. It's from the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo. While networking worked out of the box, I installed it with Vanilla's "a" kexts (shouldn't we start calling that the "Essential Kext Pack" or something? lol) because I knew it worked, so the out-of-the-box networking didn't get a chance to fail.

Thanks, I'll try that kext and see if it helps.

Zeroburn- I haven't had any problems with the screen saver, using the same SMBIOS. My sleep mode is also a no-go.

How is everyone's screen saver going? seems like I can sleep my monitor, and sleep mode is a no go, but I cannot get screen saver to work. I get a blank black screen when it kicks on its own timer.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this working? I used the the Macbook smbios.

I think sleep is a no-go for all of us, but I haven't heard of the screensaver just not working. Are you trying to use a particular screensaver? Have you tried alternates? Is your screen set to sleep before your screensaver is set to kick in?

Yeah its kinda annoying. I have no care for sleep mode in general as I rarely need to use it, but the screen saver thing would be nice. Well if anyone has any info or direction for me, that would be great. All my video settings are fine, CI/QE are enabled...so no idea.

Thanks everyone

I think sleep is a no-go for all of us, but I haven't heard of the screensaver just not working. Are you trying to use a particular screensaver? Have you tried alternates? Is your screen set to sleep before your screensaver is set to kick in?

I can't get my sleep to work for anything. Has anyone got sleep to work?

My screensaver works perfectly on my C712nr.

I can't get my sleep to work for anything. Has anyone got sleep to work?

Going to sleep is no problem. But on wake, the CPU fan will not go back to active cooling.......so yes, but not usable.

Yeah its kinda annoying. I have no care for sleep mode in general as I rarely need to use it, but the screen saver thing would be nice. Well if anyone has any info or direction for me, that would be great. All my video settings are fine, CI/QE are enabled...so no idea.

Thanks everyone

Does it allow you to test the screen saver?

Mine has always been 100%

Going to sleep is no problem. But on wake, the CPU fan will not go back to active cooling.......so yes, but not usable.

Does it allow you to test the screen saver?

Mine has always been 100%

Actually, yes it does let me test it out without a problem, and using the Hot corners option lets me put it into screen saver mode as well.

Also I never could get sleep mode to work, it goes to sleep, but cannot wake it up: did not install a Smbios install, which seemed to fix the reboot issue some have had with this new release so far. Any certain optons you use to get sleep working?

Thanks Kenny

Actually, yes it does let me test it out without a problem, and using the Hot corners option lets me put it into screen saver mode as well.

Also I never could get sleep mode to work, it goes to sleep, but cannot wake it up: did not install a Smbios install, which seemed to fix the reboot issue some have had with this new release so far. Any certain optons you use to get sleep working?

Thanks Kenny

I just checked sleep out.....first time in a long time.....it is working ok, but when it wakes, the cpu fan does not go back to active......but hay, the wi-fi light is blue and not pink now....

so far as settings for sleep....no just vanilla kernel, and 10.5.4......

wow even with a cooler, my temps have climed from where they stay (126=130f) to 155f in just a short time....

time to reboot

kenny

• 2 weeks later...

Sleep can work!

I have a Compaq Presario C7XX / C700/ C754 laptop. I tried Leo4All V3 and iATKOS 2.01. When I installed both of those with the sleep kernel 9.2.0....... it worked! I put the laptop to sleep, the power button was blinking properly, and I could hit a key or the power button and it would wake up! There were a few instances of the multicolored spinner, and occasionally the wake-up went....wrong, but this tells me that it can work!

However, I tried it with iATKOS 4.0i and couldn't find the right combination of options to get it to work. Could someone look into which combination of ACPI, AppleSMBIOS, sleep kernel and powermanagement works on these laptops?

Other thread concerning sleep mode on c700 series

Hey I'm using a Compaq c714NR and running iAtkos v1.oi with kalyway's 10.5.2 ComboUpdate and Vanilla's "a" kext for battery meter and working fan. I want to update to 10.5.3 using Kalyway's ComboUpdate but I'm not sure which kernal to install. When I tried using the vanilla kernal I got eternal restart even after typing update -v in the f8 boot menu. Maybe I'm doing something wrong somehow but I've tried a couple times and haven't gotten it to work.

Also thank you mhespenh and Chris Liphart for your help with the iAtkos 4i DVD install. I tried that and somehow that didn't work either. If anyone could help me I'd very greatly appreciate it :D

Sleep can work!

I have a Compaq Presario C7XX / C700/ C754 laptop. I tried Leo4All V3 and iATKOS 2.01. When I installed both of those with the sleep kernel 9.2.0....... it worked! I put the laptop to sleep, the power button was blinking properly, and I could hit a key or the power button and it would wake up! There were a few instances of the multicolored spinner, and occasionally the wake-up went....wrong, but this tells me that it can work!

However, I tried it with iATKOS 4.0i and couldn't find the right combination of options to get it to work. Could someone look into which combination of ACPI, AppleSMBIOS, sleep kernel and powermanagement works on these laptops?

I was able to get partial sleep on my C762 on iATKOS 4.0i but it works only once. If I try to sleep again then I get black screen and required reboot. Also, the fan shutoff and stop throttling after sleep 1st sleep. Was your fan working after sleep?

There is a small line in the "Read Me First" file for the Kalyway combo update 10.5.3 ....."reboot and type update -v and cross the fingers !" :unsure:

Did you do it? If not, you were not the first to miss it.

iAtkos 4.0i should work with no problem. What are the issues you are having?

Kenny

Sleep can work!

Going to sleep and waking has never been an issue for me......The problem is the fan will not return to active cooling. We spent a good deal of time on it early on, but no success. If you get it working right.......well let's just say..thankx

Kenny

There is a small line in the "Read Me First" file for the Kalyway combo update 10.5.3 ....."reboot and type update -v and cross the fingers !" :P

Did you do it? If not, you were not the first to miss it.

iAtkos 4.0i should work with no problem. What are the issues you are having?

Kenny

haha I didn't know that there's that many people who actually miss it but yes I saw it and after I type update -v my computer just continues to restart. And for iAtkos 4.0i after the installation you posted I tried it and went through the download, then restarted my computer and waited for it to start up. It restarted so I pressed f8 then -v then enter and it booted me up to the install disk. I don't know if there's a problem there or what because when I exit the installer by restart it does the same thing it did the first time. :)