Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Any progress with getting the audio jacks working yet? I really miss the ability of being able to listen to itunes through headphones. Also, when I wake from sleep, the battery meter stops working, and the laptop starts to overheat and run fans at higher speeds.

Does anyone have a fix to either of these two problems? I am so close to a perfect hackbook, and any help would be appreciated.

I don't think there is a fix for the headphone jack nor the wake from sleep issues.

Those are the only two issues that I have that if fixed, would make my HackOSX perfect!

I don't think there is a fix for the headphone jack nor the wake from sleep issues.

Those are the only two issues that I have that if fixed, would make my HackOSX perfect!

if you really want to use headphones or have audio in, your best bet is to use a usb sound adapter. dipdog, you say your install is perfect except for sleep and audio jacks? what about your trackpad? is it recognized in system preferences and do you have two-finger scrolling? and have you updated to 10.5.5?

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a update to 10.5.5 on my iatkos 4, lost my mouse, seem to have everything else working fine. Just no mouse or keyboard working. I tried all my old Kexts and kexts I can search for.

If anyone here can help me out and post up their ps2 kexts or show me in the right direction to the right drivers they are using, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm ona C751

Ok, sense i'm not going to get help and I've spent 5 days working on just updating iATKOS 4, anyone use or have good results with IDeneb 1.3?

Sorry, I've been away for a while. When I went from iATKOS v4 to 10.5.5 I just let the auto update do it's thing, and had no issues at all. I did not have to use any of the methods on the Laptop. Mine is a C712NR. I did reinstall Vanilla's a.zip package, and she was good to go.

Hope that helps.

Kenny

Have any of you guys upgraded the memory to 4GB? I now have one 2GB stick, and one 512MB. When I put in a second 2GB for a total of 4GB, windows crashes at startup. Leopard starts then freezes. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I read somewhere online that is lappy can take up to 4GB memory. My current bios is F.34.

I actually don't have the Vanillia kernel installed, iDeneb 10.5.5 ISO worked perfect for me, but I had the Orange HD icon issue, if you know a fix that would be nice.

But maybe I'll go ahead and install the Vanillia kernel, then do a update after I restore my hard drive again. Thanks Kenny.

User X: Unfortunately that's true, the laptop does not support 4GB of Ram, so you may just need to drop back down to 2GB only. Someone I think managed to squeeze 3GB on their system I think, and while things ran fine, the OSes reported i think only the supported 2GB number. Heard the system would eventually crash and lockup once the memory was filled up though. For what its worth, there's not much of a reason why push for more ram when things are prone to crash possibly.

There are quite a few places online that say this laptop can recognize up to 4GB. Here is just one. http://www.memory-up.com/Memory/CompaqPres...Laptop7859.html. My bios says I have 4096MB of memory and it also passes the memory test. Vista of course crashes, but what new. I boot up fine with 4GB, but then the system freezes up when I use Finder with CoverFlow or use Dashboard.

I tried to edit the com.apple.boot.plist to limit the amount of memory using maxmem=3072 as per this post.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?aut...p;showentry=521

This is what I added, but not sure if this is the right way.

<key>maxmem</key>

<string>3072</string>

Anyone know if this might work?

There are quite a few places online that say this laptop can recognize up to 4GB. Here is just one. http://www.memory-up.com/Memory/CompaqPres...Laptop7859.html. My bios says I have 4096MB of memory and it also passes the memory test. Vista of course crashes, but what new. I boot up fine with 4GB, but then the system freezes up when I use Finder with CoverFlow or use Dashboard.

I tried to edit the com.apple.boot.plist to limit the amount of memory using maxmem=3072 as per this post.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?aut...p;showentry=521

This is what I added, but not sure if this is the right way.

<key>maxmem</key>

<string>3072</string>

Anyone know if this might work?

There seems to be a bit of confusion around the tubes about our laptop. Our (712NR at least) only supports 2GB or RAM, regardless of what anyone or anyplace tells you. Although both the computer and OS will recognize there is more RAM installed, it will not allow the OS to access it.

The reason for the crashes is the OS (Vista or OSX) is trying to address to a location (address) in RAM that hasn't been "mapped" by the motherboard (specifically the memory controller). What I suspect happens is the OS requests to store or retrieve the data in a memory register that hasn't been mapped by the mobo, and the resulting confusion causes the crashes/freezes.

I know, I know, "BUT OSX SAYS I HAVE 4GB!" I've been there too, but sadly it is a trick. :( The motherboard may recognize it, and the OS may recognize it, but somewhere in the chipset the memory controller can't do it.

-Michael

Exactly what I read, Michael, ty for the clarification.

Also does anyone know what Sound chip and kext we need to get a c751 audio working? I installed ideneb 1.3 vanillia, works great, had the orange hd icon issue, but I quickly fixed that. I don't have screen saver auto starting sadly...I think this is due to Vanillia 9.5.0?

The only issue I have is getting the right kext for audio. Anyone have that info ?

Thanks

Ok, I solved my issue with the sound on IDeneb. Version 1.3 works really well on the Compaq C751NR laptop using Vanillia kernel. The only issue I have currently is the random 7 character jumping out as I type. I downloaded the A.Zip file Kenny posted here.

Which kext should I install to fix the keyboard issue: ApplePS2Controller.kext or ACPIPS2Nub.kext?

Also, my screen saver doesn't work with the timer, anyone of these kexts work from that zip packet?

Ok, I solved my issue with the sound on IDeneb. Version 1.3 works really well on the Compaq C751NR laptop using Vanillia kernel. The only issue I have currently is the random 7 character jumping out as I type. I downloaded the A.Zip file Kenny posted here.

Which kext should I install to fix the keyboard issue: ApplePS2Controller.kext or ACPIPS2Nub.kext?

Also, my screen saver doesn't work with the timer, anyone of these kexts work from that zip packet?

I also have these same two problems. I also experience the track pad freaking out once in a while. I have to shutdown and remove battery then it's OK. Any ideas on this, and the other two issues listed above? Thanks!

EDIT: Vanilla wrote, "I think I may have fixed the keyboard glitch. This might sound wierd, but go into Keyboard prefs and turn of delay until repeat. Then turn down the repeat rate. I have had no more 7777777777's!"

I also have these same two problems. I also experience the track pad freaking out once in a while. I have to shutdown and remove battery then it's OK. Any ideas on this, and the other two issues listed above? Thanks!

EDIT: Vanilla wrote, "I think I may have fixed the keyboard glitch. This might sound wierd, but go into Keyboard prefs and turn of delay until repeat. Then turn down the repeat rate. I have had no more 7777777777's!"

Thanks for the info UserX, I went ahead head and did what you said and I went for it and installed all the kexts in that A.zip that Kenny provided earlier. Everything seems fine.

Just have the screen saver issue which isn't a big deal as the monitor does sleep at least. But the most annoying which would be so good to have is to get Netflix instant watch to stream with Silverlight installed. I opted in, and on iATKOS v4 10.5.4 I was able to get that going with just a simple SMBIOS kext someone posted related to that issue.

With iDeneb 10.5.5 it doesn't work, get the infamous 8152 error when I try to stream. I heard I had to replace these possible files: IONetworking.kext, SMBIOS.kext, SMBIOSEnabler.kext I tried all the downloads given to me on a thread here related to this issue, no luck.

Thank you though UserX

UserX,

As far as the pink wifi light, this is normal as far as I have known when it comes to our internal wifi card being used. Should work perfectly fine. I did get it to turn blue once, but this is after having the laptop in sleep mode, which kills the fan, so it was pretty pointless to try and get it working for a blue light.

I say ignore it for now as long as your wifi works.

I figured out what causes the screen saver issue. It's the kernel. If you use vanillia kernel 9.5.0 your screen saver will not auto start. I use 9.5.0 stagenxu kernel it will work. I think of works with vanillia kernel 9.5.1 as well.

Also for netflix streaming. The issue is with the networking kexts. ESP the airport extreme update apple has kills it

UserX,

As far as the pink wifi light, this is normal as far as I have known when it comes to our internal wifi card being used. Should work perfectly fine. I did get it to turn blue once, but this is after having the laptop in sleep mode, which kills the fan, so it was pretty pointless to try and get it working for a blue light.

I say ignore it for now as long as your wifi works.

This is right on. The light is controlled by very low-level hardware, that is, somewhere in the very basic workings of the computer that little light is controlled. . Its more trouble than it is worth (and maybe "impossible" for our purposes to "fix" it). For some reason the orange light never turns off, so WIFI ON==Blue + Orange==Pink, WIFI OFF==orange. I kind of like it personally.

Hey, you're an Apple user now- Its not a bug, its a feature!

Steve Jobs would be so proud! :)

As far as the screen saver I've had no problem (10.5.4,Darwin 9.4 kernel, a.kexts). I got burned by the update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 so I'm not upgrading to 10.5.5 until I HAVE to. Netflix streaming works fine for me.

For me, I'm using ideneb 1.3. Rather solid 10.5.5 install despite netflix not liking the new apple airport update driver. I had a pain of a time to get it working on my c751 with the driver installed.

Right now I'm using kernel 9.4 at the moment for the screen saver option. Otherwise vanillia 9.5 works nicely. Using a.zip kexts also.

Only issue I have remaining is with Office 2008. Cannot update it at all. Auto update app can't update itself due to a shared carbon file of some sort. And if I use the manual update download off M$ website. It gives me a odd error as well

Anyone know a fix? I have heard this issue exists even for legit Mac systems

My wireless says it's (en0) and my ethernet says it's (en1). Shouldn't it technically be the other way around? I'm trying to use MAC Changer and for some reason I can't spoof my wireless MAC address. I have a friend who has same install as me on an HP and his wireless is (en1).

Also anyone know if there is a whitelist for the bios F.34? I want to put in a N card.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...093&lang=ru

Technically it doesn't really matter which is en0, en1, en2, ect. All that really means is just letting you know which Ethernet device the system saw first and initiated the device(s). Should not bare any significant effect or priority on functionality. Much like usb ports on your system. Just name to hardware assignment really

For me, I'm using ideneb 1.3. Rather solid 10.5.5 install despite netflix not liking the new apple airport update driver. I had a pain of a time to get it working on my c751 with the driver installed.

Right now I'm using kernel 9.4 at the moment for the screen saver option. Otherwise vanillia 9.5 works nicely. Using a.zip kexts also.

Only issue I have remaining is with Office 2008. Cannot update it at all. Auto update app can't update itself due to a shared carbon file of some sort. And if I use the manual update download off M$ website. It gives me a odd error as well

Anyone know a fix? I have heard this issue exists even for legit Mac systems

The entire office suite has been a PITA for me since I installed it. Word like to crash randomly, open documents randomly move from one "space" to another for no reason, and the palates disappear and reappear at will. I finally got sick of it and installed Open Office. MUCH BETTER.

To hell with microsoft and all her applications!

As far as Open Office is concerned, I do like it generally, but lately I'm doing a lot more work with Office 2007 as its now a standard in my office, so for compatibility sake I am stuck with Office 2007/2008 for now as some things just cannot load with Open Office yet. Maybe once Open Office gets some updates going I'll switch. As for Office 2008, I got it working. Apparently M$ screwed up their AutoUpdate app so since you can't run that, you have to run the updates manually, starting from the first Service Pack, then the extra 2 updates after that. You can't just download and jump to the latest version.

I never had issues with Office's functionality, I guess I'm lucky. For the sake of compatibility I have to use Office, but I do like Open Office, way faster and less bloated and easier, I've just had funky format issues with it though. But I'll check it out, also tested out iWork..its ok, but very very bare in comparison.

But yep, screw M$.... The only thing I'm now thinking over is either Thunderbird or Mail for my smtp email app.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone now using the new Voodoo Kernel now that its been released?

I tried it, works good, but screen saver no longer works with the set time, and you still have the same issues with putting your system to sleep. When you wake it up you lose battery meter and no fans.

Voodoo recommends in their documentation a certain SMBIOS from Eureka, among other kexts. Anyone else try to see if this all works?