Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

OK I did a new install (external drive) on my C712nr using iAtkos 4.0i this morning to test it for you. It works 100% so here we go, are you sitting down?

1. Boot DVD, go to Disk Utility and erase partition that will be your OSX install........be sure HD is setup as MBR

2. Go to the custom tab

3. Check both files under "Stock files" "AppleACPIPlatform.kext" and "Kernel 9.4.0"

4. Check "AppleSMBIOS netkas" under "SMBIOS drivers" which is under "Additional Patches"

5. Check "GMA X3100" under your Intel VGA drivers

6. Check "SATA" under your system drivers

7 Check "Broadcom 440x" under your Network drivers

Now let the install begain. :D After the install.......remove DVD before boot.........On first boot I had to use -x.........after that, everything is 100% So you should be up and running in about 1 hr...........If you need anymore help, just ask

Kenny

BTW. If you want a real challange, my new desktop (Asus P5q) had to mod BIOS, setup and run HD in AHCI mode (messes up windows) patch graphics and sound, but man is she fast!!!!!! :gun:

OK I did a new install (external drive) using iAtkos 4.0ion my C712NR here are the steps.

1. Use "Disk Utility" to erase the partition that will house OSX

2. Under "custom" you need to check the following:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext under "Stock Files"

Kernel 9.4.0 under "Stock Files"

AppleSMBIOS netkas under "Additional Patches - SMBIOS Drivers"

Remove Thermal kext under "Additional Patches"

GMA X3100 under "Drivers - VGA - Intel"

SATA under "Drivers - System"

Bradcom 440x under "Drivers - Network"

3. Install Leopard

Note: First boot I had to hit -x at the boot prompt......after that, 100% (except the normal..Audio jacks, mic)

You should be up and running in about an hour.

Kenny

FYI. Just to let you know about my iATKOS 4 install. I detailed it on page 19 of this thread. Right now I'm downloading JAS 10.5.4 image to give that a shot. IDeneb's realease didn't seem to like my of so I'm not exactly sure I want it on a laptop yet

Thanks Kenny I'll try that method later today and let you know the outcome. I never checked if my HD was MBR but it probably was.

And thank you Zeroburn too. I tried the installation you had listed on page 19 late last night and didn't get it running.

I tried that installation and the only problem I had was after I had installed it and removed the disk all I had was a black screen with a blinking line. I tried to type -x and nothing. Is there a specific way to do that?

I tried that installation and the only problem I had was after I had installed it and removed the disk all I had was a black screen with a blinking line. I tried to type -x and nothing. Is there a specific way to do that?

Boot your Leo DVD and at the boot prompt hit -s (single user mode)

It will lode some stuff then give you another prompt

Type: fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag x (x=your osx partition......if 1st partition then "flag 1" and so on)

u........this will update the MBR

w........this will write it

exit

reboot

now you should be running....... :D

kenny

So I just got done testing to see if it works and no such luck. If I remove the disk then I get the same black screen and can't do anything. If I leave the disk in and type -x it boots to the DVD. If I leave the disk in and don't do anything it restarts again and again

So I've tried and tried and no hope with iAtkos v4.0i which is weird because iAtkos v1.0i worked fine, but has anyone had successful install of Kalyway ComboUpdate 10.5.3 with step by step because I never got that to work either and I figure if I get it to work I can use the Mac Updater to get to 10.5.4 I'm using a Compaq c714NR

Ok try your install with 4.0i but on your restart try another DVD. I had something like that happen with my new desktop build. With iATKOS 4.0i in the DVD drive I got self shutdown and boot, I changed to Leo4all DVD left it in, hit no keys and she booted......worth a shot

Kenny

Hi,

Someone have sucess with the headphone jack? With a other version, maybe?

No one I know of on this machine....I'll give you a $ if you find a way ;) (Other than usb)

Kenny

haha I didn't know that there's that many people who actually miss it but yes I saw it and after I type update -v my computer just continues to restart. And for iAtkos 4.0i after the installation you posted I tried it and went through the download, then restarted my computer and waited for it to start up. It restarted so I pressed f8 then -v then enter and it booted me up to the install disk. I don't know if there's a problem there or what because when I exit the installer by restart it does the same thing it did the first time. :P

Take the disc out after you install, right when the computer boots up (the reboot after install).

The computer boots to the CD first by default, instead of the hard drive.

I tried putting the iAtkos v1.0i disk after install and I got continuous resart.

Also I tried removing the disk at the reboot after install and I got the black screen with blinking line and no activity.

I'm starting to think about updating from iAtkos v1.0i but no such luck going from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3

Just so you guys know, I have been unable to get the new JaS 10.5.4 distro to work with this lappy. On install boot everything loads up to the GUI, then hangs on blue screen. (DVD does work on other machines)

I have had success with iATKOS v1 & 2, and the new v4

Kalyway 10.5.2, & Kalyway combo update 10.5.3

Leo4all 10.5.3

and able to take all to 10.5.4

If this saves you guys any time. If you want to know what was selected on any of these, just ask.

Happy Macin'

Kenny

I have Compaq C770US which was bought recently for $330. The best way to install leopard is:

1) Install Kalyway 10.5.2 for intel and amd distro, do not select any video patch (I have X3100)

2) Update with Jas 10.5.3 combo

3) Use "Software update" to update everything including security and kernel from Apple. (currently is 10.5.4 (9E17))

What I got is basically everything I want including speedsteps, full video with QE/CI. With Xbench 1.3, I got score of 54.19. Details:

Results 54.19

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.4 (9E17)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model MacBook2,1

Drive Type FUJITSU MHY****BH

CPU Test 53.24

GCD Loop 94.04 4.96 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 45.35 1.08 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 37.15 1.23 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 64.44 11.22 Mops/sec

Thread Test 125.63

Computation 109.42 2.22 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 147.47 6.34 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 110.42

System 108.96

Allocate 230.88 847.88 Kalloc/sec

Fill 105.55 5131.95 MB/sec

Copy 72.84 1504.55 MB/sec

Stream 111.93

Copy 104.83 2165.26 MB/sec

Scale 104.84 2165.99 MB/sec

Add 120.13 2559.06 MB/sec

Triad 119.96 2566.30 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 133.20

Line 122.05 8.13 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 159.30 47.56 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 129.44 10.55 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 126.91 3.20 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 134.00 8.38 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 20.07

Spinning Squares 20.07 25.46 frames/sec

User Interface Test 141.66

Elements 141.66 650.15 refresh/sec

Disk Test 34.50

Sequential 55.60

Uncached Write 57.45 35.28 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 62.77 35.51 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 43.36 12.69 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 64.34 32.34 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 25.01

Uncached Write 8.76 0.93 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 58.30 18.67 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 60.58 0.43 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 82.35 15.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Things that do not work right now includes:

1) wireless (Atheros ar5007, which is a no-go.) I use Zydas usb adapter instead

2) Sleep can wakeup, but will not display battery usage unless restart computer

But it is ok, I can totally live with it. Leopard is my default OS now. The pre-installed Vista home premium as my backup system.

If anybody can make Atheros AR5007 TO WORK. What a wonderful and cheap macbook!

post-47057-1219493654_thumb.jpg

But it is ok, I can totally live with it. Leopard is my default OS now. The pre-installed Vista home premium as my backup system.

If anybody can make Atheros AR5007 TO WORK. What a wonderful and cheap macbook!

I don't know if it will help, but the new JaS 10.5.4 has a pkg "Atheros wireless adapter identifier". The C712nr has Broadcom......so I can't test it.

If you think it will help let me know and I'll get it to you.......it is very small, could e-mail......

Just let me know

Kenny

BTW. I only got a 51.1 :thumbsdown_anim: But that's ok, the new desktop gets a 157.86 :thumbsup_anim:

Kennyp, could you attach here the pkg from Jas 10.5.4? I might give it a try. I know there are so many people waiting for the driver to make AR4007 work. This wireless card was used in many cheap notebooks. THX!

I don't know if it will help, but the new JaS 10.5.4 has a pkg "Atheros wireless adapter identifier". The C712nr has Broadcom......so I can't test it.

If you think it will help let me know and I'll get it to you.......it is very small, could e-mail......

Just let me know

Kenny

BTW. I only got a 51.1 :unsure: But that's ok, the new desktop gets a 157.86 :wacko:

Nice info kenny. I personally use Iatkos v4. Don't see a realreason to change until a new kernel and distro comes out. As for getting wifi to work, maybe invest a few dollars on a new hp/Compaq mini pc wireless card to install in your laptop. I bought one (mentioned previously on this thread) and it works great.

Nice info kenny. I personally use Iatkos v4. Don't see a realreason to change until a new kernel and distro comes out. As for getting wifi to work, maybe invest a few dollars on a new hp/Compaq mini pc wireless card to install in your laptop. I bought one (mentioned previously on this thread) and it works great.

Yep, the point is maybe save someone some time. I have had no problem at all with iATKOS :thumbsup_anim:

Kenny

any more word on audio output, time machine or fans resuming active cooling on waking up from sleep?

I recently when to iatkos v4.0 and i loved it so much i ditched the windows dual boot and im running mac exclusively.

I even played some civ IV today with remarkable results.

any more word on audio output, time machine or fans resuming active cooling on waking up from sleep?

I recently when to iatkos v4.0 and i loved it so much i ditched the windows dual boot and im running mac exclusively.

I even played some civ IV today with remarkable results.

Hay, J

You are not going to believe this. I hooked up my external test drive, to install the same way you have.....but after installing iATKOS v1.0i I could not find my Kalyway combo update 10.5.2 disk....so I said what the heck, I popped in the 10.5.3 Kalyway combo update (by passing 10.5.2) and It worked like a charm.

Now, I did not add Vanilla's a.zip before hand.

OK here we go

Boot into fresh 10.5.1 iATKOS v.1.0i install

clicked on 1_kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3.pkg

Allowed it to install

Did not reboot when it finished

clicked on 2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg

selected vanilla kernel

When it finished.....closed, and let comboupd reboot

At boot prompt, hit f8....update -v

system booted into update, then rebooted

went to software update selected update 10.5.4

installed and rebooted

now we are at 10.5.4........no glichesicon10.gif

Hay, J

You are not going to believe this. I hooked up my external test drive, to install the same way you have.....but after installing iATKOS v1.0i I could not find my Kalyway combo update 10.5.2 disk....so I said what the heck, I popped in the 10.5.3 Kalyway combo update (by passing 10.5.2) and It worked like a charm.

Now, I did not add Vanilla's a.zip before hand.

OK here we go

Boot into fresh 10.5.1 iATKOS v.1.0i install

clicked on 1_kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3.pkg

Allowed it to install

Did not reboot when it finished

clicked on 2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg

selected vanilla kernel

When it finished.....closed, and let comboupd reboot

At boot prompt, hit f8....update -v

system booted into update, then rebooted

went to software update selected update 10.5.4

installed and rebooted