Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

keep the 10.5.5 reports coming. I need a couple more success stories before i bite. This is my primary machine now and i got burned automatically upgrading last time.

I cannot and will not tell you what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

But

As soon as the update came out I loaded a fresh install on usb drive, and let "Software Update" automatically update

No problem at all.

So I held my breath and did the update on main install.........100% working :(

It even works with the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext left in (BIG ISSUE on some machines)

Be sure you have a good backup just in case

You can download the update direct, and do the "While sleep..." method to keep the offending kext from loading link

But on this machine **icon13.gif*"IF YOU ARE RUNNING VANILLA"*icon13.gif** you should be OK

If not.....I did not tell you what to do.

Kenny

why not just use the darwin boot?

Can you direct me to somewhere I can get a tutorial or give me a tutorial?

Kennyp, I went ahead and dove in since you reported good things and I must say that I am very happy. I upgraded to 10.5.5 with no issues so far. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT:::

No battery Icon. Any Ideas how to fix this?

have you tried Vanilla's a kexts?

Kennyp, I went ahead and dove in since you reported good things and I must say that I am very happy. I upgraded to 10.5.5 with no issues so far. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT:::

No battery Icon. Any Ideas how to fix this?

Happy to hear about the update working.

Did you have the battery meter before?........mine did not change

You can try reinstalling Vanilla's a.zip to see if it comes back.

Feedback from anyone else?

Reapplying a.zip, i'll let you know.

CRAAPPPP, it doesnt boot. I can boot with -x option only. kennyp coudl you please send me your kexts?

\System\Library\Extensions\ACPIPS2Nub.kext

\System\Library\Extensions\AppleACPIPlatform.kext

\System\Library\Extensions\ApplePS2Controller.kext

\System\Library\Extensions\AppleSMBIOS.kext

\System\Library\SystemConfiguration\PowerManagement.bundle

Battery indicator worked fine previous to update and it booted up fine previous to installing a.zip kexts, but now updated with a.zip I can only boot into safe mode. (I dont get battery indicator in safe mode, but this is probably to be expected). Everyone else please wait to update until we figure this out.

HOLY {censored}! After booting into safe mode and then rebooting into normal mode, is working fine now!!! Everything is working great!!!!!!!!!!!! Battery is back!!!!!

Reapplying a.zip, i'll let you know.

CRAAPPPP, it doesnt boot. I can boot with -x option only. kennyp coudl you please send me your kexts?

\System\Library\Extensions\ACPIPS2Nub.kext

\System\Library\Extensions\AppleACPIPlatform.kext

\System\Library\Extensions\ApplePS2Controller.kext

\System\Library\Extensions\AppleSMBIOS.kext

\System\Library\SystemConfiguration\PowerManagement.bundle

Battery indicator worked fine previous to update and it booted up fine previous to installing a.zip kexts, but now updated with a.zip I can only boot into safe mode. (I dont get battery indicator in safe mode, but this is probably to be expected). Everyone else please wait to update until we figure this out.

HOLY {censored}! After booting into safe mode and then rebooting into normal mode, is working fine now!!! Everything is working great!!!!!!!!!!!! Battery is back!!!!!

OK so you don't need the kexts, or you do?icon10.gif

Kenny

hey im trying 2 get my wifi 2 work

and wats the product id on my C713nr

iknow its a broadcom but thats it

its the same as the c713 and c714 and i think the c715

You should be working OOB, and should not need to do anything so far as adding kext

That is if you have Broadcom 4311

If you do need the product id download OSx86 Tool Utility from PCWiz's site

You will see a button that reads "View PCI Device/Vendor IDs"

You should find the info there

If you have a windows install, go to control panel

system

network adapters

right click on your wifi

hit details tab

on the drop down menu, second down should be product id

it will look something like DEV/80863a22 (or going off memory) DEV/3a228086

the 8086 is the vendor # the 3a22 is the product ID

Kenny

BTW, what version and install did you use? wifi should be working.

Can you direct me to somewhere I can get a tutorial or give me a tutorial?

you just need to add the timeout tags to your boot.plist

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
add:
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

that will give you 5 seconds to hit a key before mac boots up. then you should be able to choose your windows partition.

ok i finally got the battery mette to work...its weired how i solved it

i used some installer called powermanagement 10.5.3

just followed the onscreen instructions then rebooted and battery meter is there :rolleyes:

the only bummer thing is the time left, it just says calculating4ever but at least it gives percentages

i hav a c713nr

used kalyway 10.5.2

no brazilmac thingy, i hav efi v8 running

dont hav speeedstep running im going 2 try 2 fix that next

wifi works

burner works

audio works

no mic or headphones

sleep works

keyboard and trackpad works

ok i finally got the battery mette to work...its weired how i solved it

i used some installer called powermanagement 10.5.3

just followed the onscreen instructions then rebooted and battery meter is there :angel:

the only bummer thing is the time left, it just says calculating4ever but at least it gives percentages

i hav a C713nr

used kalyway 10.5.2

no brazilmac thingy, i hav efi v8 running

dont hav speeedstep running im going 2 try 2 fix that next

wifi works

burner works

audio works

no mic or headphones

sleep works

keyboard and trackpad works

use the vista disk and set the vista partition active. choose whatever option gets you to a terminal on the boot disc and do these steps, where n is the disk and partition of vista.

diskpart
list disk
select disk n
list partition
select partition n
active
exit
reboot to disc again, let it repair vista bootloader

hope that works.

Thanks Fayze this method worked for me :( using Darwin to dual boot,

and i also updated to 10.5.5 and had to reinstall the powermanagement.bundle to get the battery meter to work again :(

Anyone had any success/attempts with Boot132 and Retail install on a C700?

I have been working/trying to see what we can do about our last remaining issues on our laptops.

The Boot132 method is cool (I think), but I can't seem to get a fill boot, hanging at blue screen, so it is past where -v will show me what's going on.

I'll keep you posted, and if anyone has any success, please let me know. I must be missing something. It should be close, my brother-in-law has a black Macbook, and the hardware is very very close.

Kenny

1. Could the first post be updated to reflect everything learned from this thread?

(Honestly, reinstalled several times and each time it is annoying to go through the bookmarks on a stock computer)

2. I primarily boot Vista, and have issues with the trackpad drivers when booting to Darwin from Vista's bootloader.

- Is there a fix?

- Can I set OSX to active partition and use Darwin to boot Vista as primary drive?

- Will using GRUB or LILO fix it?

Thanks.

Unrelated question for the knowledgeable gurus. I seem to have a wireless issue. It came and went under Window Vista. Hoped the Hackintosh would solve it. Came and went also. Now, no wireless.... but it worked for a few days. I just can't turn airport on. Think it is hardware. Google search indicates a common Compaq/ hp problem with the intel/broadcomm wireless.

One year warranty will be up in a few months. If I bring in a hackintosh they will laugh at me. Wondering if I should go dual boot for the return. I have been using vmware instead and it works well.

Can I easily install Vista on my system now? I have Time Machined it but it is my main work computer. I have one big partition that is journaled. Any tips on how to start with a Hackintosh and add Vista dual boot appreciated. I haven't been able to find any that start where I am. Cheers in advance.

Unrelated question for the knowledgeable gurus. I seem to have a wireless issue. It came and went under Window Vista. Hoped the Hackintosh would solve it. Came and went also. Now, no wireless.... but it worked for a few days. I just can't turn airport on. Think it is hardware. Google search indicates a common Compaq/ hp problem with the intel/broadcomm wireless.

One year warranty will be up in a few months. If I bring in a hackintosh they will laugh at me. Wondering if I should go dual boot for the return. I have been using vmware instead and it works well.

Can I easily install Vista on my system now? I have Time Machined it but it is my main work computer. I have one big partition that is journaled. Any tips on how to start with a Hackintosh and add Vista dual boot appreciated. I haven't been able to find any that start where I am. Cheers in advance.

This is just me....but.....

What I did when I first started playing with OSX, I went to Tiger Direct, and got a larger 2.5in SATA (mine came with a 80gb).

Spent another $10 and got a nice slim case for the old one......see where I'm going with this?

I would take out the two screws, swap the drives, boot from the new external drive, restore Vista from your backup, and take it in.

Or

Put the new drive in the new case, restore everything to it....wipe osx...take in for service....then do the swap when you get it back.

I know, I know....this cast $......but you can get a drive anywhere from $49.99 120gb to $199.99 500gb

And it's cool to have a bigger drive in the laptop, and have one you can put in your pocket.

Kenny

1. Could the first post be updated to reflect everything learned from this thread?

(Honestly, reinstalled several times and each time it is annoying to go through the bookmarks on a stock computer)

2. I primarily boot Vista, and have issues with the trackpad drivers when booting to Darwin from Vista's bootloader.

- Is there a fix?

- Can I set OSX to active partition and use Darwin to boot Vista as primary drive?

- Will using GRUB or LILO fix it?

Thanks.

1. Good idea, I just sent a pm to Maximos to see what we can work out.

2. A. Vanilla's "a.zip" has done the trick find it here

B. Yes....most of the time

C. I am really liking the Chameleon bootloader. There is a version found here that will install it on your hard drive. It is very much like Darwin, but with many more features.....(and I don't want anything to do with the name "Darwin")

Gook luck

Kenny

This is just me....but.....

What I did when I first started playing with OSX, I went to Tiger Direct, and got a larger 2.5in SATA (mine came with a 80gb).

Spent another $10 and got a nice slim case for the old one......see where I'm going with this?

I would take out the two screws, swap the drives, boot from the new external drive, restore Vista from your backup, and take it in.

Or

Put the new drive in the new case, restore everything to it....wipe osx...take in for service....then do the swap when you get it back.

I know, I know....this cast $......but you can get a drive anywhere from $49.99 120gb to $199.99 500gb

And it's cool to have a bigger drive in the laptop, and have one you can put in your pocket.

Kenny

Thanks Kenny for the idea... just ordered a wd scorpio 320gb 7200rpm sata2 2.5 inch hd for my hackintosh. Will put the new HD in... install crappy Vista... have them fix the wireless.... partion magic the drive into 3 partions and go dual boot after the fix my wireless. Figure I can install iatkos then time machine restore the basic install once I have the new one..... or just clone the mac partition using acronis or Ghost. Great idea. Cheers again. what is $100 bucks to triple my hd space.

Kenny: How difficult is it to install a new HD in these laptops? I haven't cracked mine open yet, and would rather not unless I have the new HD in hand at the moment. lol I've also built a ton of desktops, but never dug into a laptop. Anything special I should know before starting surgery?