Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Has anyone installed IPC 10.5.6 and Vmware Fusion 2.0.1 and received a message like this:

"VMware Fusion's 3D acceleration requires features that are not present in your Mac's graphics processor."

I have didn't install a driver for the X3100 graphics chip, I'm running with vanilla kernel on my laptop. I do have QE/CI working fine in OS X as well.

Anyone suggest what driver they have installed for their graphics?

Has anyone installed IPC 10.5.6 and Vmware Fusion 2.0.1 and received a message like this:

"VMware Fusion's 3D acceleration requires features that are not present in your Mac's graphics processor."

I have didn't install a driver for the X3100 graphics chip, I'm running with vanilla kernel on my laptop. I do have QE/CI working fine in OS X as well.

Anyone suggest what driver they have installed for their graphics?

That's normal. X3100 doesn't support 3D acceleration in Fusion. This happens on the last generation of MacBooks too, if I remember correctly. This is due to the integrated graphics not being very powerful (even though you can have Aero if you dual boot, it can't support Quartz and Aero at the same time).

That's normal. X3100 doesn't support 3D acceleration in Fusion. This happens on the last generation of MacBooks too, if I remember correctly. This is due to the integrated graphics not being very powerful (even though you can have Aero if you dual boot, it can't support Quartz and Aero at the same time).

Ok, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the heads up Chris. Now I just wish we all had a way to turn off the trackpad without killing the keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my wife won't let me touch her laptop to try the iPC install for 10.5.6, so she's hanging back at 10.5.4, because it's "safe and works". lol Looks like playtime might be over for me now that I got my MacBook. I'm going to miss poking around with the HacBook.

But, I did want to point out that anyone wanting to migrate to a Mac can use Migration Assistant with your Time Machine backup to pull in not only your files, but also all programs intact. I figured the files would transfer just fine, but I completely expected the programs to be broken. It was a very nice surprise. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to restore a Mac from a Hacintosh's TM backup, but migrating works just fine. Just thought I'd toss that out there in case anyone didn't know.

Even though I can't play around much more with Hacintosh, I'll keep my eye in here. Thanks guys!

Interesting development today: I've been telling my wife no to close the lid on her laptop due to the fan not kicking in when she wakes it, but her fan starts up with no problem. I'm not sure why it does, or what I did differently when I installed to get it to work properly, but it does.

EDIT:

Never mind, somehow it got set to not do anything when the lid is closed, so it's not even entering sleep. False alarm!

I had been using OSX more as a testing OS than my main OS. But I have installed the iDeneb v1.4 and after spending about 5 hours installing different kexts and and softwares I have this thing running just as good as any MAC. Now here is my one problem, where my girl lives, believe it or not, they still do not offer high speed internet, so i am stuck on dial up over there. I have search and have yet to locate a working solution for the built in dial up modem. I was wondering if anyone might have theirs working or beaware of a solution or a work in progress on this. Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

I am typing this on leopard(ideneb10.5.6) that i got installed on an external usb drive and it works fine, save for audio. But no matter what settings i try when i try to get it installed on the actual presario, it doesn't get pass the grey loading screen after the install. help please

I am typing this on leopard(ideneb10.5.6) that i got installed on an external usb drive and it works fine, save for audio. But no matter what settings i try when i try to get it installed on the actual presario, it doesn't get pass the grey loading screen after the install. help please

The easiest recommendation for the C7XXNR is to acquire a different distro: iPC 10.5.6 Final

Then, follow ZB's breadcrumbs:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1059256

That'll get you where you're going.

The easiest recommendation for the C7XXNR is to acquire a different distro: iPC 10.5.6 Final

Then, follow ZB's breadcrumbs:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1059256

That'll get you where you're going.

Thanks its gonna take umm.....4days and 10hours for me to test that ;)

but im hoping it works. as for now everyone is calling my usb hard drive a mac mini

Thanks its gonna take umm.....4days and 10hours for me to test that ;)

but im hoping it works. as for now everyone is calling my usb hard drive a mac mini

It is likely that ideneb and other distros will work too (look through the thread), with the acceptable customizations. Its just that the iPC scheme may be the easiest launch point to get the machine functional -- before tinkering further.

As a couple hours vs four+ days alternative, try usenet. Either web query for Binsearch to search for item, or usenet client to: a.b.m.

It is likely that ideneb and other distros will work too (look through the thread), with the acceptable customizations. Its just that the iPC scheme may be the easiest launch point to get the machine functional -- before tinkering further.

As a couple hours vs four+ days alternative, try usenet. Either web query for Binsearch to search for item, or usenet client to: a.b.m.

okay i dont even know how to use usenet. but i got it to work on my hd with both7 ideneb and iatkos 10.5.6, but in ideneb im lacking sound and in iatkos i cant get the battery working. ive played with everything in the customize menu and i can only get one or the other working in the two distros, i have context hd audio and the default battery in a presario c700.the osx install on my usb drive has proven very helpful for using my computer when i mess up the regular installs. sorry if im asking "noob" stuff

Great info guys. I just bought a C712NR on eBay after reading this thread, knowing that this laptop would definitely work in OSX. I followed Zeroburn's guide using iPC 10.5.6 and everything works fine on OS X. I'm running a dual boot using Windows XP (via the Chain0 method). In XP I get the following as unknown devices; can anyone tell me what devices they are and where I can download the appropriate drivers (I especially need the wireless to work in XP!), thanks! Compaq's tech support site was useless, perhaps because this computer comes with Vista installed.

Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus

Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus

Network Controller

SM Bus Controller

Unknown Device

Video Controller

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

EDIT: After spending a total of 15 minutes navigating through HP/Compaq tech support and speaking to an absolutely useless support rep from India ("Please go to hp.com/support as we don't support XP on this computer"), I found this awesome thread that tells you step by step how to get the relevant XP drivers (the links for the Intel video drivers were dead, but just go to Intel.com and search for the GMA965 drivers, also if you are running XP with SP3 the SATA drivers are NOT necessary): http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=667182.

This computer is so sweet. I love the large 15 inch screen and dual booting into OSX and XP. The price can't be beat either - $345 on eBay for me :D

• 2 weeks later...

Audio Out Jack (headphones) Now Working With VoodooHDA.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161638

Backup(just in case) then delete these two kext:

AppleHDA.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Then just run VoodooHDA installer.

VoodooHDA will automatically switches between headphones and speakers.

You will see a MIC option in SP/Sound/Input but it is not functional at the moment.

Known issue: SRS iWow makes iTunes crash if enabled. Disable it.

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

Did an install on a C706nr using iPC OSx86 10.5.6.

Used the following drivers/patches

Context Audio Driver

SATA Icon Fix (New)

PS/2 Patches (both mouse and keyboard)

USB Massmedia Mount Patch

Time Machine Patch

Power Mgt. Package

I also installed the Voodoo Audio Driver to get the headphone jack working.

Need to work on get the scroll / touch stuff working on the touch pad (2 finger scroll, tap to click, etc.)

Also as a side note. The 706nr comes with a Celeron 530 chip stock. I've upgraded this to a Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz. Drop in replacement, nothing else to do.

I bought this laptop used for my son. $150 for the laptop, $50 for the processor... now runs close to my MacBook base model.

Thanks for the help guys.

RETAIL 10.5.6 with grub-dfe.iso switched to retail disk and typed 90 (or 9f depending on your pc) then F8 on retail darwin and -v .. loaded fine.

needs usb mouse and keyboard.

universalinstaller @"######" to install essential kexts (intelpowerdisabler, dsmos,ect..) rebooted and all works.. xcept audio and wireless.

installed chameleon 2 rc1 with the defaults.

got broadcom wireless to work with chun's iopcinetworking and io80211 (forgot source but it was direct.. to him)

get audio from voodoohda googlesource.com

using acpips2nub kext Ver. 1.0.0A01 ? (no scroll or tap but i heard Alps touchpad kext might work better?)

not working: the battery meter, sleep resumes to black display. (mouse corner fix ?)

LatinMcGuyver,

How is your retail install working? How about updates? Are you able to update your laptop without any issues straight from Apple Update?

Also in general, has anyone had issues with updating to 10.5.7?

ZB

LatinMcGuyver,

How is your retail install working? How about updates? Are you able to update your laptop without any issues straight from Apple Update?

ZB

i tried it.

it messed up my battery, sound, and did some weird stuff to the graphics.

but i tried to do it straight from the apple update. i restored with time machine, let me know if you can find a way to update.

get audio from voodoohda googlesource.com

what experiences have people had with voodoohda? I installed it and was thrilled to have the headphones finally working; but my excitement soon died off as there was no automatic switching between headphones and speakers (annoying but usable) and the volume levels were really low (bad enough that I had to uninstall). have the volume levels been ok for others; or is there something else you need to do?

thanks

Hey guys I know it's been a while for me but I was comfortably using 10.5.5 for quite some time. When my girlfriend (who's never used a Mac) decided she wanted to get one to go off to college with I decided it was time for me to upgrade to 10.5.6 to try out the new iLife and iWorks. I followed ZB's install and everything worked almost perfectly, Thanks ZB. Only thing is now I don't get my battery meter. When I log in there's a section that I can click on that will give me the options for it but as soon as I click anything on the options it just closes it. Does anyone know a fix that I can do to get my battery meter back? Oh yeah I tried installing the PowerManagement.bundle from the "a" zip but got no luck out of that either. I'm running a stock Presario c714nr. Thanks in advance

Hey guys is there anyone who has gotten sleep to work on this lappy? I've tried almost everything and just can't get it to work. I'm on the vanilla K ver 9.7.0. Any ideas?

I found this cool guide for two finger scroll, and various other touchpad features that works great with this lappy.

http://macyourpc.com/2009/03/11/two-finger...our-hackintosh/

There is also SpeedStep available, check it out. Works Great!

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

Hope you find this stuff useful. If anyone can help me on my sleep issue that would be cool.

Thanks!

quick question: has anyone had any luck with getting a external monitor working? i tried the s-video with no luck

I don't think s-video works. Did you try VGA out? Plug in monitor to VGA port, go to sys pref, displays, then select "detect displays".

If you click and drag the menu bar in the display settings from one display to the other, it will move your desktop to that display.

LatinMcGuyver,

ZB

yes i updated to 10.5.7 . battery meter doesn't show up still.. i havent messed much with it. i instaled from retail 10.5.6 added chameleon2 rc1.

Hi everyone, I did a straight update from Apple's Update app, I had no issues updating to 10.5.7 from 10.5.6. I did lose the Battery Meter though.

In general, you should ideally be able to do the update straight through apple if your running Vanillia, and with IPC's 10.5.6 release as by default, the DSDT patch method is used by default to install the 10.5.6 build. My theory at least as I did check on my install before updating, and it was already patched before doing the update.

To get the battery meter back (at least with vanilla install), Super Hai has his VoodooBattery.kext which should work fine in getting you the battery meter back:

http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

Not sure if I was ok to post the link, but there it is. Have it attached here as well.

ZB

VoodooBattery.kext.zip